• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix asks fans about if Persona 5/FF15 were out at same time, release hint?

Let me confer with my cohorts....

..Persona 5 easily. It's funny because, 2 years ago, my answer would have been the opposite. I wonder if that's the same for most of GAF.

hohoXD123

A good FF is still a tier above Persona.

I had fun with P4 Golden, but the overall experience didnt even come close to XIII-2, better not talk about main top-tier FFs.

So, I'd wait for the reviews to see what I play first, but I will end up buying both.

Mabufu

Was Blizzara taken? :p

I don't care how hardcore the forums are or even how good Persona is as a series. We all know if they release the same time Persona will be crushed.

Sure. But, they would still lose some sales. So, why do it? It's like the Batman v Superman and Captain America 3 situation. There's enough money for everyone, so it would have been foolish for them to compete.

Dark_castle

I hope someone from Square (ideally from FFXV team) actually taken a look at this thread and realized how Persona series had taken over the hearts of hardcore JRPG fans and do something about it.

Quonny

FFXV.

Bromance > Persona, even if Persona does have some bromance I want a game focused on the man-on-man love.

Lusankya

FF XV and, even then, I'm really not all that hyped for it. Never played a Persona game and don't really care to. I despise anime. A very unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but I'm just being honest.

If you despise anime why do you want to play FF?

Persona 5, of course. FFXV can die in a fire compared to that. Persona 4 was already miles better than anything from the FF13 saga.

Let me confer with my cohorts....

..Persona 5 easily. It's funny because, 2 years ago, my answer would have been the opposite. I wonder if that's the same for most of GAF.

You bring up a good point actually. I may have been more into XV a couple years ago but now I'm way more hyped for Persona 5.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm surprised Nirolak didn't do it in first place

It's not the thing that's the interesting takeaway from the article.

Like the things that stick out here are that 1.) it does hint at a potential release timing and 2.) we do see an acknowledgement from Square Enix that Persona is a brand with relevance, whereas if we turn the hands of time back to the release of Persona 4, your average staffer might not have even known the game existed.

If you want the GAF answer you can just see the flood of posts in the thread.

Mupod

Persona 5 obviously. Only thing FF15 has going for it in my eyes is a world map.

I still have everything preordered because the Canadian dollar might get even more shit and I sure am not paying $90+tax for games.

Reset

Welp...if GAF is anything to go by, FFXV would be better off steering clear of Persona 5 by a at least a month or so. I had no idea the Persona franchise was this popular...
I don't think Persona 4 even sold over a million units. Gaf isn't the place to judge popularity lol. If it was then every single Platinum game would have been a hit, Metroid wouldn't be dead, and the WiiU would be ahead of the Xbone in terms of sales.

Dinda

Persona 5.

XV is the first Mainline Final Fantasy that i have no interest in, so it isn't really because of Persona. (which i will of course buy day one)

I just hope they finally release it soon so that they can make FF XVI (with Agni as main Character)

Persona 5. Persona 4 was amazing. One of my favorite games of all time.

FF13, on the other hand, was shit. I have no reason to think 15 will be good.

Not very good logic. FF games are quite different from one another. You shouldn't assume that the next game would be bad because you thought the previous game was bad. A lot of people don't like FF8, but that game was in between FF7 and FF9 two of the most well-regarded FF games.

On Topic: Hard choice, I don't like Persona as much as the rest of GAF, but my hype for FFXV is somewhat tempered.

Lady Gaia

I'd need to hear some very positive word of mouth before seriously considering FFXV, but I'd happily get both if they turn out to be decent games. It would take some disappointed fans before I'd consider skipping P5. I didn't love P3 or P4 but they were unique enough to pique my interest in the fifth installment. Just please, please don't have the same randomly generated slog-fest dungeon design.

You know as a big FF fan and somebody who hasn't played a Persona game yet, I'm actually more interested in Persona 5. It looks way more interesting than FF15.

I'd ping pong between the two if they released roughly the same time, like I did with Dragon Quest Heroes and Tales of Zestiria. I'd rather it be they released a month away from each other so I can give both the time they truly deserve

It's kinda weird to me how Persona turned from a niche spin-off from a niche series in a niche subgenre to one of the most anticipated games of all time that makes the heads at Square sweat at the thought of FF'S crown being taken. I guess making great games and a good word of mouth does indeed go a long way.

Ahnez

Wow what?

Well, probably P5 first, since by experience, persona games are much faster to finish than FF games

Apathy

Times have changed. I remember a time where (well the old) square could give a date to release a game and it was everyone else being scared and getting away from it. Now they go and ask if they have a chance vs persona if they were out at the same time.

Also funny that they ask this now and not for TR when the gaming world was shouting at them collectively to move that date.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are they afraid of Persona 5 or something...?

I think "afraid" would be a bit far, but I do think they want to give the game the most ideal landing zone possible given the sales trend of the franchise and the platform difficulty in the region.

This isn't like EA trying to have Battlefield take market share from Call of Duty. The idea is that they just want their once every 80 gazillion year product to sell as well as possible, and these days Persona could actually have an appreciable impact.

tariniel

Honestly if they're both GOOD then I'd buy both of them, doesn't matter if they launch same day.

But I'm more optimistic of Persona being the better game.

Top Bottom