• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO on Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity: It wasn't an easy decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does MS passion do for making this game good? Like, I understand exclusive stuff. I don't understand what the hell this guy is talking about. Is passion a codeword for money here? Like....what exactly is the point of this statement? What is it supposed to convince me of?

We're supposed to "care" more about Tomb Raider once it's a bigger "brand" thanks to MS's marketing money.

The PS4 version of RotTR will be a better game because it'll be more prestigious a year later! /s

Microsoft will drop Tomb Raider like a bad habit if it doesn't meet their expectations this Fall. SE and CD have to live with the long term effect.
OK. well i feel like with the combination of halo 5 & rotr bundles (if that's even going to be a thing) and heavy marketing, that rotr will do well. perhaps even moving past the fact that tr sold better on Ps4 than xbone (not sure if that's even true).

i guarantee it.
what are you trying to say here though? that this forum is overall more pro-sony and anti-mS?

DOWN

Banned
What exactly does MS passion do for making this game good? Like, I understand exclusive stuff. I don't understand what the hell this guy is talking about. Is passion a codeword for money here? Like....what exactly is the point of this statement? What is it supposed to convince me of?

Absolutely nothing. Sony and Capcom smartly made sure that Sony amped up the speed of development and paid into it, so that Capcom can say the game will never be on Xbox. Tomb Raider was already going to be on all platforms before this deal, and now we know when.

We're supposed to "care" more about Tomb Raider once it's a bigger "brand" thanks to MS's marketing money.

The PS4 version of RotTR will be a better game because it'll be more prestigious a year later! /s

Are you Ben Kuchera? I think that is a distillation of his article from when this timed exclusivity was announced.

TomShoe

Banned

Microsoft has a passion for treating Xbox owners like first-class citizens. Can't say they're not trying.

Dat passion.

Capcom should have used the passion line too. Makes for more entertainment value.

No one is questioning Capcom so they don't have justify or explain their actions.

OK. well i feel like with the combination of halo 5 & rotr bundles (if that's even going to be a thing) and heavy marketing, that rotr will do well. perhaps even moving past the fact that tr sold better on Ps4 than xbone (not sure if that's even true).

what are you trying to say here though? that this forum is overall more pro-sony and anti-mS?

Not only is it true, but it was extremely lopsided. I have no idea how it will fare this Fall other than saying it won't do well if it isn't bundled for free.

Welfare

They made a bet to see what Microsoft's marketing can do for the game. Whether it was correct or not has yet to be seen.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
hand-placing-coins-on-pile.jpg

Nier 2, FFVII Remake.

Yep, cause Nier 2 and FF7 were totally confirmed for Xbox based on the absolutely amazing reception to Japanese games on the platform.

I think people are confusing a publisher's own common sense for something else.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I don't know why they did this. Tomb Raider is not a system seller. Halving the audience will lead to half the sales, it will do little to increase the xb1 install base.

Hard decision? I'm sure the fronting of exclusivity cash/marketing budget helped.

(Although I get what he means, depending on microsoft's offer it could have been a hard choice between that or simul-releasing for the larger ps4/pc userbase.)

i didn't say that! read into it what you want.

I took it as the difference in how the deals were presented have helped frame how many feel about the PR associated with their respective situations. Sure there may be some platform bias in many opinions, but overall, the cloak and dagger mystery machine behind the tomb raider deal has soured many people on it.

Why would SE release a sequel to niche JRPG that did not sell very well on any platform on the Xbone that has a smaller audience that buys JRPGs.

Money to blow.

Drake on every hook

I find it hilarious how he's almost indirectly implying that Tomb Raider didn't deserve to be side-by-side with Halo, Forza and Gears without this deal, which compels MS to artificially inflate TR as an IP.

sn00zer

I think the original plan came out of having to directly compete (at the time) with the release of Uncharted 4. Knowing that TR2 was going to release around the same time as U4 it made sense to go exclusive with MS, because if given the option most PS4 consumers would choose U4 over TR2. So cut the losses, get some funding from MS, and release the PS4 version after U4 hubbub is over made sense.

Now that Uncharted 4 is delayed it looks like Square is just leaving money on the table, especially from PS4 buyers who are looking for something to replace the now delayed U4.

So, seemed like a smart decision at the time, but no looks a bit ridiculous with the delay of U4.

Not only is it true, but it was extremely lopsided. I have no idea how it will fare this Fall other than saying it won't do well if it isn't bundled for free.
well if I were an xbone owner, I guess this exclusivity thing would make me value rotr more and make want to buy it more than before. anyways, is there a source anywhere indicating the platform sales for tr?

Mugaaz

A lot of salt in this thread

I'm not salty at all. I'm not interested in Tomb Raider.I just found this statement mind-boggling. It just seems like some of the stupidest combination of words I've seen. It doesn't seem to catered towards any party, or to anybody's benefit. It's offensive in how little respect it has for people's intelligence.

Bloodrage

Banned
Aside from fanboy sstuff, why would you wish something to fail without even playing/seeing it in the first place?

They don't force you to buy it.
That depends on what Drewfonse meant by it. Maybe he meant that the direction they took with this Tomb Raider reboot should die, and I'd agree with that. Not only was it boring and uninteresting, but her constant help me moaning got old early in the game. The reboot was basically the perfect example of how not to be cinematic.

The only chance Tomb Raider has is to distance itself as far away from Uncharted as possible. Comparing the E3 demos, it's embarrassing. If you're gonna try to be like Uncharted, you've already made a huge mistake, because nobody does Uncharted like Naughty Dog does.

Tomb Raider needs its own identity and new Lara. This current one is just annoying.

Iced Arcade

TR thread always have a huge amount of salty people. it's not like this 1 year exclusive is new to the industry. I don't see big crowds of XBOX fans flipping out over SF.

Biker19

Banned
hand-placing-coins-on-pile.jpg

Nier 2, FFVII Remake.

You think that one niche JRPG, & another JRPG that's very well known & most popular on Playstation platforms, are going to sell bucketloads on the platform which not only has a much lower install base, but also in which JRPG's in general have never sold better on Xbox platforms at all?

halving the audience?

The majority of Tomb Raider fans happens to be on both Playstation platforms & PC.

Darknight

"If we know the PS4 will selling like hot cakes world wide, we would never make this deal."

They knew going into this that they would be alienating the market leader and possibly taking a huge loss on sales. But with MS' checkbook, its all good. Understandable as its a business decision after all.

Only issue I see is that it will hurt the franchise long term. I dont think PS4 fans will buy Tomb Raider 3 even if it debuts day1 next time just because they got the short end of the stick on this game. RIS3 might even by xbone exclusive as RISE will be a year late to PS4 customers...

I find it hilarious how he's almost indirectly implying that Tomb Raider didn't deserve to be side-by-side with Halo, Forza and Gears without this deal, which compels MS to artificially inflate TR as an IP.

This whole reeks of a lack of confidence in the IP. That comment is weird because I would definitely rank it above Gears and Forza.

Lemondish

RotR bundles seem like a hell of an expensive proposition. If you're just going to be handing the game out for free to new buyers, s why even pay for exclusivity?

This game is going to disappoint, I think. It'll do decent in North America, but the series has always been a worldwide franchise, and the Xbone is dead everywhere else.

Oh, and it was true. PS4 version sold way better. TR remake in 2013 also sold better on PS3 and was extremely strong in Europe.

prwxv3

You think that two niche JRPG's are going to sell bucketloads on the platform which not only has a much lower install base, but also in which JRPG's in general have never sold better on Xbox platforms at all?

The majority of Tomb Raider fans happens to be on both PS4 & PC.

FF7 is no where near niche.

Vex_

Banned
I wonder who they are really trying to convince here. Most 'in the know' gamers aren't going to believe this statement. Most casual gamers aren't even paying attention to the industry that closely.

So who were these comments for?

I wonder, who is asking square about this stuff still. It's like, stop... Just stop lying already.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I wonder who they are really trying to convince here. Most 'in the know' gamers aren't going to believe this statement. Most casual gamers aren't even paying attention to the industry that closely.

So who were these comments for?

I wonder, who is asking square about this stuff still. It's like, stop... Just stop lying already.

They are just rationalizing this after they realized it is a mistake. These people are employees after all.

Console wars aside, it was clearly a management error.

Quotient

The announcement of the other versions before the Xbox versions are out, along with this, just screams backtracking to me.

I don't think i have ever seen a publisher/developer announce the availability on other platforms when signing an exclusivity deal.

RotR bundles seem like a hell of an expensive proposition. If you're just going to be handing the game out for free to new buyers, s why even pay for exclusivity?

This game is going to disappoint, I think. It'll do decent in North America, but the series has always been a worldwide franchise, and the Xbone is dead everywhere.
going straight back to what phil spencer stated, - to have something uncharted like only available on xbox. even if it is something that's had a long history on playstation & other platforms and never had any sort of identity with xbox, like ME does, or tekken does with playstation.
Oh, and it was true. PS4 version sold way better. TR remake in 2013 also sold better on PS3 and was extremely strong in Europe.
alright, everybody is saying it but is there a source somewhere stating so? or did a gaf insider let everyone know back when the game versions launched?
I think you can't put in in Microsoft or MS.
yeah, but doing it there is kinda the same thing in principle, isn't it?

Lol@ nier 2

They forgot Star Ocean. SE is showing PlayStation(Japan) some love.

going straight back to what phil spencer stated, - to have something uncharted like only available on xbox. even if it is something that's had a long history on playstation & other platforms and never had any sort of identity with xbox, like ME does, or tekken does with playstation.

yeah, but doing it there is kinda the same thing in principle, isn't it?

Phil also said this deal was like Ryse and DR3. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he says about it.

TomShoe

Banned
This whole reeks of a lack of confidence in the IP. That comment is weird because I would definitely rank it above Gears and Forza.

Given what TR was releasing against this holiday, the exclusivity deal (sort of) makes sense now. No chance it was going to release against Fallout 4 and not get clobbered.

watdaeff4

This thread and any other RotTR threads from here on out won't end well I'm afraid.

I do find it odd that people find reasons to dismiss certain examples of how all parties involve are doing these things because it's a business to them. Nothing more, nothing less. None of the companies are doing things altruistically no matter which platform you own.

Microsoft obviously gave loads of money for this. SE took it to get the guaranteed $. As a previous poster stated simply, the took the easy way out. Coming from a management background I see why they did. Esp. In today's world if what have you done for me lately. I.e. Money to show to investors now, not a goal that more may (or may not) come in later. Too (sometimes just one) many quarters of missed expectations leads to unhappy investors.

On the flipside, those that think Sony is more altruistic and quickly dismiss the Haze example is grasping for it. New IP or not, they bought exclusivity, period. Street Fighter is more interesting though. I'm completely reading between the lines (and tea leaves) based on comments made by Capcom, Sony and MS , but I suspect that Capcom went to both Sony and MS for money and Sony outbid them as MS didn't want to spend the required money due to it eating at the sales of KI. Sony didn't do it to say We love gamers, we are going to spend money to give them the ability to play SFV. They evaluated it and thought that they would get a good ROI. Meanwhile it's possible MS was faced with the same or similar proposition and decided the money wasn't worth it for them as it would likely cut into the money the could make off of KI.

Again I'm just speculating on the SFV scenario based off comments I've read and from my (non-gaming) management background

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I don't think i have ever seen a publisher/developer announce the availability on other platforms when signing an exclusivity deal.

They heard the outcry and they are appeasing the angry fans. There is no other way to interpret this.

I am pretty sure their preorder numbers for the xb1 are not that great either.

VCL

I think the original plan came out of having to directly compete (at the time) with the release of Uncharted 4. Knowing that TR2 was going to release around the same time as U4 it made sense to go exclusive with MS, because if given the option most PS4 consumers would choose U4 over TR2. So cut the losses, get some funding from MS, and release the PS4 version after U4 hubbub is over made sense.

Now that Uncharted 4 is delayed it looks like Square is just leaving money on the table, especially from PS4 buyers who are looking for something to replace the now delayed U4.

So, seemed like a smart decision at the time, but no looks a bit ridiculous with the delay of U4.
this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom