• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO teases 'surprise' new console JRPG, 'charged' for E3

Foffy

Banned
As always, expect the absolute worst with this company, so if they somehow actually do something interesting, it's a well welcomed surprise.

Oh, I don't know. This is the company that said Tomb Raider's millions of sales across three platforms was a disappointment and then allowed for the sequel to be (so far as we really know) "exclusive" to Xbox. This is also the same company that developed/published two exclusive RPGs for the Xbox 360 (The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery). Yes, I realize that was more than half a decade ago and things have dramatically changed, but I still wouldn't put a DQ on a Microsoft console out of the realm of possibility. It's not like it stopped them from doing it with Final Fantasy.

Money talks, and Microsoft has money. If Microsoft really wanted Dragon Quest on Xbox, I'm sure they'd pony up the dough for it.

But I don't think MS would want it on Xbox One anyway. It'll do little to help them in Japan since there would be a PS4 SKU anyway and the sales are historically AWFUL for the XB1 hardware there anyway.

If they were priming the Xbox fanbase for DQ, then Heroes would have been on Xbox as well.

Macrotus

Oh, I don't know. This is the company that said Tomb Raider's millions of sales across three platforms was a disappointment and then allowed for the sequel to be (so far as we really know) "exclusive" to Xbox. This is also the same company that developed/published two exclusive RPGs for the Xbox 360 (The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery). Yes, I realize that was more than half a decade ago and things have dramatically changed, but I still wouldn't put a DQ on a Microsoft console out of the realm of possibility. It's not like it stopped them from doing it with Final Fantasy.

Money talks, and Microsoft has money. If Microsoft really wanted Dragon Quest on Xbox, I'm sure they'd pony up the dough for it.

Have the exact same thought.

I can't get my hopes up, don't even know if I should give SE another chance T.T

I still feel that lingering scar from that show.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Dream:

Chrono Trigger 2
Final Fantasy Tactics PS4
Mana PS4
SaGa PS4
FF 7-2
FF 13 - Lightning Trilogy HD

Reality:

Lightning Returns Too: Electric Boogaloo
Chocobo's Dungeon Vita

Infinite Undiscovery is a MS ip. Microsoft only allowed Square to publish it.

FluxWaveZ

B7TbjwJCYAAfCqG.jpg:large
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SgtCobra

Sure they can, but will it happen though? Do the benefits it would give MS outweigh the costs?
The market for JRPG's (especially for Dragon Quest) just isn't on Xbox platforms (compared to Nintendo & Sony platforms), it has been proven only by looking at the sales numbers alone. We all know DQ's main market is Japan and how is the Xbox One selling over there? Final Fantasy has a bigger western appeal than DQ so it only makes sense to put that franchise on every home console (and it's still questionable whether or not that decision will reap the rewards as FFXIII didn't really sell that good on the 360)

What that means is that Square Enix will think twice before releasing DQ games for the Xbox One, will they gain enough profit from that version to cover the costs?
Also, the fact that Dragon Quest Heroes is a Sony exclusive in the west makes me think there is a sort of deal going on with the franchise.

IF Microsoft decides to use their money to "convince" SE then it begs the question on why they would do that as it wouldn't really have a lot of positive effect financially, they will ask themselves if it was worth it in the end and I think we all know the answer.
There's also that strange thing with DQ games in which they only release on the best selling platform (mobile lol) I don't see them breaking that trend anytime soon without some major "convincing"

Don't get me wrong, I never said it's impossible, just that there needs a lot to happen for it to be realized.

ViciousDS

Banned
its funny because we don't even have a solid release date on FFVII HD which is supposed to launch in the next couple of months. Could Square be pulling a double troll and actually be doing a re-texturing of the game at least for E3? They double troll everyone and surprise everyone with a real HD version of FFVII

zoutlaw

Banned
What would I want to see?

Chrono 3 Game

Never will happen, but I would mega cream my shorts for that.

More likely?

Final Fantasy Type-1
The Last Remnant 2
Dragon Quest for PS4

Zophar

There's no reason for MS to buy Dragon Quest exclusivity. They have little to no interest in their Japanese market success, the only market where DQ is a killer app.

Kawika

I refuse to let myself get caught up in any hype of this nature anymore. I really got fished in by the FF7 thing at PSX. I kept waiting for the HD textured graphics...
they never came...they never came...

LAA

Well says it's for home consoles, so can forget about vita/3DS.

It's hard to tell whether he means a new or old IP too. Would love TWEWY 2, but on consoles... hmm.

Other than that, don't really know other than remakes, like KH remakes, and FF remakes.

Fbh

The ugly iOS remake of VI is getting a console port?

Awesome!!!
not really

"Charged" = Lightning = FFXIII-4: A day in the life of Lightning Ps4/x1

.......What?? I'm allowed to dream right?

There, I fixed it for you following a more realistic version of how Square thinks

Top Bottom