• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix commits to PSN Game Archives..... starting TODAY (Japan)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I particularly love the stuttering music at times. Reminds me of playing on my nearly dead PS1. Good times.

Dragon

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Man, it feels janky as fuck. I love how after a nonsensical cutscene I just get a wall of text that makes my eyes bleed. This will mark, I believe, the eighth time I have attempted to get through this godforsaken game.

Hooray!

Appropriate enough :D

1stStrike

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Man, it feels janky as fuck. I love how after a nonsensical cutscene I just get a wall of text that makes my eyes bleed. This will mark, I believe, the eighth time I have attempted to get through this godforsaken game.

Hooray!

I first played xenogears last year and was like..wtf..how the hell did i miss this game back in the day?! It was pretty amazing from start to finish. The 2nd disk was a bit disappointing, but I was expecting it and just went with the flow. I managed to max everyone's skills out too so I was pretty bad ass come end-game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'd feel better about this if S-E didn't treat the US market like a red-headed stepchild. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they never released these in the US. Disappointed, but not surprised. Sometimes I think S-E hates money.

acevans2

No fucking way, this is awesome news! I am currently emulating Xenogears on PSP, but I will certainly buy the real thing from you if you release it in the US!

d+pad

Blu_LED said:
Will FF7 ever come?

Don't bet on it or any other FF or DQ game making their way to PSN or Wii VC anytime soon. SE's been pretty clear about not releasing these since they can make more money by putting them on DS, PSP, etc.

I suspect SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2 might be released on PSN, though, and MAYBE Legend of Mana?

Oh, and +1 for hoping some of these are released outside of Japan.

robot

Anyone know a good place to buy JPN psn cards? And is it still possible to create a JPN account in the U.S?

Id.

robot said:
Anyone know a good place to buy JPN psn cards? And is it still possible to create a JPN account in the U.S?
You can buy JPN PSN cards from either NCSX or eBay. NCSX and some, if not most, eBay sellers will email you the redemption code.

It's possible to make a JPN account right now. Click here to know how to do it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
zoku88 said:
???

What are you getting at? All of those have been rereleased/ported/remade multiple times and you know there are people who rebuy them...

Its been at least 6 months since those game got released yet I dont see them on any download service. That is what I'm saying.

Not even whored out FF1

Elios83

I have no hope to see these games released in Europe but US should be a different story.
EA was the exclusive publisher of Squaresoft games in the USA during the PSX age so there won't be publishing rights problems.
I hope they get asked about their western plans soon.

Elios83 said:
I have no hope to see these games released in Europe but US should be a different story.
EA was the exclusive publisher of Squaresoft games in the USA during the PSX age so there won't be publishing rights problems.
I hope they get asked about their western plans soon.
I don't see any of these titles coming to the US store, anytime soon. Seems like 95% of PS1 titles that come to Japan PSN don't see the light of day in the US PSN. I don't see why these titles would be any different.

But trust me, I really hope I'm wrong, because I'd pick up Einhander, Xenogears, and Raystorm all at once, the second I found out I was.

Elios83

Dark Octave said:
I don't see any of these titles coming to the US store, anytime soon. Seems like 95% of PS1 titles that come to Japan PSN don't see the light of day in the US PSN. I don't see why these titles would be any different.

But trust me, I really hope I'm wrong, because I'd pick up Einhander, Xenogears, and Raystorm all at once, the second I found out I was.

I think it all depends on the efforts needed to bring them to the US/Euro store versus expected profits.
Many of these old games have serious publishing rights issues, Square shouldn't have these problems in the US because of their exclusive contract with EA.
Of course it's disapponting to see titles like Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid not released outside Japan but I hope these games won't be the same.
Someone should ask Square USA about their plans.

klee123

mabuza said:

Actually in terms of third party PSone games, the European store has a better selection than the US store(even tho the JPN store crap on both easily). If anything, there's a better chance that the game will hit on the euro store than the US one.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Mr. Wonderful said:
The PSone upscaling could be better. But then again, that isn't the most important thing out there.

I wonder who's dick I have to suck at SCE in order to get ePSXe-level upscaling/filtering/etc on the PS3 for PSX games.

klee123 said:
Actually in terms of third party PSone games, the European store has a better selection than the US store(even tho the JPN store crap on both easily). If anything, there's a better chance that the game will hit on the euro store than the US one.

If the game in question wasn't released in Europe initially, then there's very little chance it ever will be.

truly101 said:
I'd feel better about this if S-E didn't treat the US market like a red-headed stepchild. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they never released these in the US. Disappointed, but not surprised. Sometimes I think S-E hates money.

At least you got Parasite Eve 1, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross and Xenogears (amongst others) the first time around. Europe got hee haw, and will always get hee hawed by SE and other Japanese companies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The ONLY good thing to come out of Xenogears...

xenogears_creid.jpg

This is some bullshit to the highest order. There is no reason why gamers in North America should be getting screwed like this! I have a PSP, and I'd love to be able to play some of these classics on my PSP.... "WTF!!"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shawnwhann said:
This is some bullshit to the highest order. There is no reason why gamers in North America should be getting screwed like this! I have a PSP, and I'd love to be able to play some of these classics on my PSP.... "WTF!!"

Sony has been completely out of touch with their audience since next-gen landed. It's like they completely forgot how to run the Playstation brand. It's kind of hilarious and reminiscent of the Saturn USA era.

Huh. This is good news for Japan. I hope that the same thing comes to the states. I'm pretty sure that I know people that would purchase a PS3 based on SE games being available.

And me? 2 things. One, I've never had the chance to play Einhander, so that'd be cool. Two, they really should think about speeding up the text output on Xenogears. It would cut the playtime down by almost 1/3 (1/2 on the second disc, easily).

Looking at the Japanese PSN vs. the US PSN though...well let's just say that I'm not going to get excited about this.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Brandon F said:
Sony has been completely out of touch with their audience since next-gen landed. It's like they completely forgot how to run the Playstation brand. It's kind of hilarious and reminiscent of the Saturn USA era.

overreaction total.

wtf are all you guys on? we didn't even know this would happen until today when it actually happened, and now we're to the point where Square and Sony are fucking US gamers in the ass because they aren't released?

atomico

duckroll said:
TODAY (25th June), they will release Einhander on PSN

do no want
NEEEEEEEEEED

1) register japanese psn account
2) create paypal account
3) create US ebay account and buy PSN card
4) buy einhander
5) change pants

robot

Any impressions of Rakugaki Showtime? Always wanted this game but could never find it.

And not to derail, but anything else worth buying on the Japanese PSN that someone with no knowledge of the language could play?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy shit, ASTRONOKA!!!

This is the best PS3 related news in a long while... hope they bring them out here soon. Already own PS1 discs of Xenogears and Einhander, but Astronoka and Rakugaki are definite pickups.

Integra

Neo Member
goddammit! why don't they have the good shit like this for the U.S.?!?!?!?!? I'm about to cry now. *sighs*

I just hope this does become available for the US really really soon.

As an aside question, has it been confirmed that this isn't coming to the US? I'm of the opinion that it won't, but there are loads of reactions in the thread that are saying that it absolutely won't happen.

Also that the US is getting porked by the large inmate named Sony/SE that has the top bunk.

Seems a little too soon to react so strongly, when we're not 100% sure yet. That's like screaming about mashed potatoes not being on the menu when you haven't even heard the specials yet.

if you guys want these titles to come out here, it would be wise to send as many emails as you can to Square Enix USA (support@square-enix-usa.com).

maybe if they see that there is enough demand here (which they would have to blind to miss) they might consider bringing them out here if they aren't already.

like the people who run the PS Blog suggested, letting the companies who own these titles know that we want them might help the process along.

lupinko

Speevy said:
So what sort of legal crap is keeping them from releasing these games in the US Store?

If I remember correctly, since after the first batch of PS1 titles on PSN came out, SCEA went with a different method of bringing PS1 titles over. Rather than just having third parties just release the games on PSN, SCEA themselves are relicensing/redistributing the games (case in point Symphony of the Night, notice it says SCEA and not Konami) themselves. I remember them mentioning that they also did this to make sure all PS1 titles on their PSN store would be compatible with both PSP and PS3, which isn't the case on other regions' stores where games can either be compatible with both or just ps3 only or just psp only.

angelfly

Xenogears and Einhander will be mine! More money of mine that could have gone to SCEA will be going to SCEJ. I really hope SCEA get their act together soon.

Funny thing, I was just thinking yesterday that SE would not put retro titles up for download, even the games they have no intention of doing anything with, because it would undermine their attempts to re-re-re-re-remake every FF and DQ game. There's still the western hurdle to clear, but that seems to be more Sony's hangup.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
angelfly said:
Xenogears and Einhander will be mine! More money of mine that could have gone to SCEA will be going to SCEJ. I really hope SCEA get their act together soon.

They wont for some reason the do not likez teh moneyz!

Top Bottom