• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix explains why Setsuna isn't getting a Western release on Vita

Isn't Hashimoto the guy that laughed at requests for a new Chrono game ever getting made and saying that people should have bought Chrono Trigger DS if they wanted it? Guy by all measures seems like a dick. But he's a guy making the decisions at Square, so we have to deal with it I guess. Vita is pretty much THE home of niche game fans, why can't Square see that? So bizarre.

I wonder if SaGa Vita will be ported to PS4 as well now then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't Hashimoto the guy that laughed at requests for a new Chrono game ever getting made and saying that people should have bought Chrono Trigger DS if they wanted it? Guy by all measures seems like a dick. But he's a guy making the decisions at Square, so we have to deal with it I guess.

I wonder if SaGa Vita will be ported to PS4 as well now then.

This is a different Hashimoto.

Yeah I'm not going to beg SE this time. Probably didn't help for Adventures of Mana either and they just acknowledged the demand so people would shut up

They can't take the small amount of money required to release a game they already made but they can rent a fucking theater for a day to announce a release date

this company

Yeah I'm not going to beg SE this time. Probably didn't help for Adventures of Mana either and they just acknowledged the demand so people would shut up

They can't take the small amount of money required to release a game they already made but they can rent a fucking theater for a day to announce a release date

this company

Please inform us how much it costs to release a game on Vita.

18-Volt

Bandai Namco or Tecmo Koei has to give these guys couple of ideas: Sometimes Vita versions of games outsell the other platform. Setsuna could well be another instance where there is a potential that Vita version is the best selling version of the game, game looks like and handheld game.

This reminds me of Square's reason for not localizing SaGa DS remakes: "We try to cater bigger audience". Well fuck you square. If 150 million DS owners weren't big enough for you, i'll tell you, you're crazy.

Square's deluded if they think the game merits the type of prestige/hype a Vita release would obviate. At least throw the fans a bone.

I can't even be mad at the company that greenlit NieR Automata, though.

Well, if they say the Vita isn't doing good enough in the west, they throw Sony under the bus. Not good.

If they say the Vita version is a piece of shit, they throw their own developers under the bus. Not good.

Whaddaya expect him to say?

18-Volt

Even Sony abandoned the Vita in the west, why do you expect support from the third parties?

Because other third parties DO support Vita? This year alone, over 20 full price games (excluding indies) have been released/will be released and there are much more potential announcements. Yeah most of the multiplat titles but so is Setsuna.

And then there are indies.

Square's deluded if they think the game merits the type of prestige/hype a Vita release would obviate. At least throw the fans a bone.

I can't even be mad at the company that greenlit NieR Automata, though.

I think it's important for people to differentiate the Japan development side and the publishing side, mainly for the Western markets. Still thankful we have got Nier 2 in the works but their publishing arm are very much making odd decisions (like how they sat on Dragon Quest games and Bravely Default for so long until Nintendo stepped in).

Fularu

Banned
Because other third parties DO support Vita? This year alone, over 20 full price games (excluding indies) have been released/will be released and there are much more potential announcements. Yeah most of the multiplat titles but so is Setsuna.

And then there are indies.

So in short a dead system in the west. Most of those 20 retail release are from niche developpers releasing rather niche games.

Wagram

Blame your fellow man for not buying Vita. I love it as much as the next guy, but I don't blame SE for a second for not bringing this over.

Ridley327

Bandai Namco or Tecmo Koei has to give these guys couple of ideas: Sometimes Vita versions of games outsell the other platform. Setsuna could well be another instance where there is a potential that Vita version is the best selling version of the game, game looks like and handheld game.

This reminds me of Square's reason for not localizing SaGa DS remakes: "We try to cater bigger audience". Well fuck you square. If 150 million DS owners weren't big enough for you, i'll tell you, you're crazy.

When has this happened? I was under the impression that without fail, the Vita version brings up the rear in any multiplatform situation.

Blame your fellow man for not buying Vita. I love it as much as the next guy, but I don't blame SE for a second for not bringing this over.

SE won't even give us a chance to support them.

Bamco threw us SAO HF which became one of the biggest sellers. Then Vita owners proceeded to support and buy more of their games.
Tecmo Koei gave us niche games that people kept buying nonstop.

What has SE done for the Vita? FFX HD that sold exceedingly well on the Vita in the west?

Prelude.

Setsuna is gonna bomb so hard it's not even funny and they exclude platforms, lol.
Is giving BS excuses better than admitting the port wasn't acceptable given the scale of the game?

They should just release World of FF already so that they can see it's a more than viable market, they haven't released a game since early 2014, they're probably a little out of touch.

Ridley327

I wonder if Squenix has tried to pitch the Vita port to Sony at all. Vita ports of dubious performance released digitally seems to be all Sony is willing to put out on the system these days.

Sitrus

They should have just been honest and said that the technical issues with the Vita version and the lack of any interest to patch them is the main reason for not bringing it over.

It's the same situation as with Nights of Azure where the Vita version is a technical mess. It would have been good to give us the version as an option though. But who am I kidding, it's Square-Enix.

This is such a bullshit reply from him. More like politely saying we don't see the appeal for it.

Oh well, I was really stocked for Setsuna but man, the western release so far has been a disaster. Will likely skip it out on getting it day 1 now and pick it later down in a sale.

Also this part
the team chose to instead focus on a gameplay experience built for a larger screen when bringing the game stateside.

I am Setsuna screenshot
ikenie-to-yuki-no-setsuna-ps-vita-ps4-1117-003.jpg

Yeh, right SE. Whatever.

Breads

Banned
That's a shame. I really wanted to play it.

:e:

Before it is asks no. I have no interest in playing a non handheld version.

18-Volt

When has this happened? I was under the impression that without fail, the Vita version brings up the rear in any multiplatform situation.

Tecmo Koei said Toukiden Kiwami sold much more than PS4 and/or Steam but didn't give any detail. There are couple of other examples too but I don't remember atm.

So in short a dead system in the west. Most of those 20 retail release are from niche developpers releasing rather niche games.

In its "dead" state, Vita is much more alive than 3DS. 3DS only handful of releases left for west (exact amount 9, including potential announcements) and indie support is long dead for 3DS.

Aters

I get that side of it, but this is strictly about the western release of the game.

Yeah that's the point. I don't think you can find people outside Japan and GAF and maybe China (most of the Vita titles have Chinese versions) who care about Vita anymore.

In its "dead" state, Vita is much more alive than 3DS. 3DS only handful of releases left for west (exact amount 9, including potential announcements) and indie support is long dead for 3DS.

But 3DS is getting a new Pokemon. What has Sony done for Vita? Snatch the best original title on Vita and put it on PS4?

jackdoe

I can't imagine the Vita licensing fee being prohibitively expensive, in fact I can see it being super cheap, almost on par with the PSP was. Square Enix is probably throwing away easy profit, especially if they made it a digital only Vita release.

The developper isn't? Also having a PS4 and PC release from them means they don't consider it niche (as in, 10k niche, like 99% of those VITA releases would dream to get).

They released FFX HD for Vita and it did well?

Not a big fan of Setsuna myself but that game was made for the Vita audience, no question.

Prelude.

For all intents and purposes, SE thinks the Vita is a dead system and it reflects in their barren release schedule.

Unless you have a better explanation than the above for their lack of support.
There are more SE Vita games releasing in 2016 than from launch until 2015.

The real reason has been explained multiple times in this thread already, it makes no sense to skip it for no reason. The game is pretty fucked on PS4 as well.

Tecmo Koei said Toukiden Kiwami sold much more than PS4 and/or Steam but didn't give any detail. There are couple of other examples too but I don't remember atm.
Kiwami was also an expansion released just a few months after the original game. It was also the first version of Toukiden on Steam and PS4. It's no surprise it sold better on PS4 and Steam. However I think there were some comments at the time about Kiwami overall not meeting sales expectations.

Fularu

Banned
They released FFX HD for Vita and it did well?

Not a big fan of Setsuna but that game was made for the Vita audience, no question.

And that was what? 3 years ago? The Vita market has crumbled since then, that's not even debatable.

We have our expectations, they have theirs and they don't seem to believe it's worth it.

This shouldn't bode well for DQ Builders and DQH2 btw

And don't believe for a second I'm saying it to bash the Vita, I currently have 4 Vita games preordered (Shiren, Stranger in Sword City, Odin Sphere and Last Virtue's sequel)

There are more SE Vita games releasing in 2016 than from launch until 2015.

The real reason has been explained multiple times in this thread already, it makes no sense to skip it for no reason. The game is pretty fucked on PS4 as well.

I see only one Vita release from SE in 2016 (World of Final Fantasy). I should again note that I'm strictly talking from a western point of view, the Vita is very much alive and "well" to an extent in Japan.

Which other ones are there? I'm not expecting risk averse SE to publish anything that doesn't have any brand recognition in the west no matter which handheld it is (or even some of it judging by the delay for both 3DS DQ gameS).

Ridley327

But a good chunk of those 3DS games are from Squenix!

And that was what? 3 years ago? The Vita market has crumbled since then, that's not even debatable.

We have our expectations, they have theirs and they don't seem to believe it's worth it.

This shouldn't bode well for DQ Builders and DQH2 btw

And don't believe for a second I'm saying it to bash the Vita, I currently have 4 Vita games preordered (Shiren, Stranger in Sword City, Odin Sphere and Last Virtue's sequel)

2 years ago. The way you are going on about Setsuna you'd think it's some high budget risk for Square, it's a budget title for chrissakes (and looks it, tbh), definitely comparable to those other games you have on pre-order!

I really don't understand why publishers keep inventing inane excuses for why Game X isn't coming to Platforn Y. If they just straightforwardly told the truth - they don't believe X would sell well enough on Y to justify whatever costs are involved in releasing it for that platform - what are they afraid would happen, exactly?

What kind of excuse is that? You're not making a brand new game, the Vita version is already there.

They're basically limiting their revenue stream for no good reason.

For all intents and purposes, SE thinks the Vita is a dead system and it reflects in their barren release schedule.

Unless you have a better explanation than the above for their lack of support.

The game didn't sell all that well in Japan and in the west there's no physical version at all.
They are clearly localising the game on a shoestring budget because most of the localization effort can be be shared by all versions of the game, and I don't think Q&A on the Vita can be that demanding/costly when smaller publishers are putting out localizations on a regular basis.

NolbertoS

Poor Vita, even Sony won't try to force SE to make their VIta fans happy and play this game on the go. SE can go back to the rock they came from.

Vamphuntr

It really depends on what you mean by dead. I mean 3DS just got Fire Emblem and it will probably sell more in the west than anything for Vita releasing this year. It also got a new Pokémon coming that will probably sell millions. From the number of titles releases I could see the Vita having more though.

I don't think SE is on a crusade against the vita. For them it's probably hard to justify localizing a version that they think will sell 10k and having to go through Sony QA. They are not NISA or Xseed and their standard is obviously not the same.

Powwa

What a weak response. As far as I remember FFX remaster sold okay for a Vita game as well.

Why are they so scared to release a game that is already translated and developed? I don't think they will develop new games for Vita in a year or two anyways, why not gain the good will of your fans and make a little profit on top of it? I'm really tired of begging for games, if they don't want to release it for Vita, it's their loss.

But wouldn't a small budget game like Setsuna be the ideal candidate for a smaller market like the Vita in the west?

If it were Vita-only, yes, probably, but in this case it's on other platforms. The reality is that adding a Steam version opens the game up to a whole new market of customers, while there are very very few people who would buy a Vita release but wouldn't buy the game at all on any other platform.

Top Bottom