• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix explains why Setsuna isn't getting a Western release on Vita

I am sure the fact that PS4/PC games can retail for $59.99, while Vita games tend to go for $39.99 has also crossed their mind.
Contrarily, I think this would do well (for the vita, obviously) as a full priced 40$ title on the Vita.

However, on the home consoles, where they're competing with all the various blockbusters of modern gaming, this budget title is going to look more in line with the 20$ indies than a 60$ game. Doubt it goes for more than 40.
Considering how niche the game is, they're not helping their cause with their demographic. Word travels fast in those circles.
Also, this. The JRPG niche these days is relatively hardcore, and a decent number of those folks actually have vitas, in my experience. This sort of PR is really not what they need. Though that said, I wonder how it would do if they now came out and said "actually, you folks have shown us that it's worth it!" and brought it to vita. Folks can be vindictive, but in theory it might be good marketting.
Oh boy, those 4 PSP2 owners are gonna be so angry and not just buy the PS4 version! That'll show Square-Enidos!
Is it necessary you post bait like this in every vita thread?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He's being polite.

I don't think outright laughing at the question is polite. But:

They don't think the Vita game will generate enough to be worth releasing overseas since it's a niche title.

You're right.

MegaManTrigger said:
Square Enix should've kept their mouths shut. Saying stuff like this only hurts them when their reasons are so obviously a bunch of horse shit.

Oh boy, those 4 PSP2 owners are gonna be so angry and not just buy the PS4 version! That'll show Square-Enidos!

You'd have a better argument if you said the PC residual sales
would there be any though, is a question
would help fund the PSP2 localization/printing/whatever, but that's extremely doubtful.

Shizuka

You're right.

would help fund the PSP2 localization/printing/whatever, but that's extremely doubtful.

It only took five pages for you to show up, that must be a record.

Non reply from a company that doesn't understand it's fanbase again and is pretty out of touch with the core audience for this game.

You're right.

There's at least 10 millions Vita owners.

I'm not talking about being mad that the game isn't coming out for a platform. Just come out and say it like it is. Don't come up with bullshit like "oh we want the experience to be perfect for the home console!" when it's the pretty much the same exact game for the Vita too.

You'd have a much stronger argument if you didn't rely on generalizations...which is very ironic considering your last word.

OmegaDL50

While the circumstances aren't entirely ideal, If given the choice I'd play the game and enjoy it in whatever fashion I could instead outright rejecting even being able to experience because of a issue of form factor.

It's sounds unfortunate and there is no win-win in any scenario in this case.

It's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy in a way.

There are a specific subset of RPG players who refuse to play RPGs on anything but handhelds, despite major releases like Star Ocean 5, Persona 5, or even FFXV not getting a handheld releases.

So a lot of these folks rely on smaller releases like Neptunia, Legend of Heroes / Trails, Ys, and handheld re-releases of stuff like Dragon Quest VII and VIII.

Then there are some obstinately stubborn folks that absolutely refuse to play the game outside of a specific platform despite the fact if portability is preventing them from playing the game despite not opting to even being able to play the game on one of those portable PCs like a Surface via Steam which would accomplish a similar result.

It seems the cycle revolves on itself, Game developed for console and handheld in Japan, gets released for console and handheld in Japan, but localization or porting process only brings over the console / pc release only the West instead

There are three cases of this happening as far as I am aware, Type 0, Trails in the Sky 3rd, and now I Am Setsuna.

I understand some people can't always use their TV and thus use the portable device due to being time limited, or some folks who are constantly on the move thus being able to take the game out at a moments notice and resume where they left off and being able to stop on a moment's notice as well, but to go so far to deny the possibility of an alternative means to enjoy the game. It's just something I never understood.

I suppose it's reasonable and fair if someone decides that the choice they are going to make.

Apparently this subset of RPG players is not profitable enough to sustain Setsuna release - even if, being a digital title, this might sound unreasonable. Therefore, it might be that SQEX simply wishes to push PS4/ PC market for RPG and tries to eliminate any possible competing platform out of the picture, and Setsuna shows that. This is no different with how they ditched PS3 in favor of PS4 with their multiplatform titles in the West, eg DQH and SO5.

OmegaDL50

Apparently this subset of RPG players is not profitable enough to sustain Setsuna release - even if, being a digital title, this might sound unreasonable. Therefore, it might be that SQEX simply wishes to push PS4/ PC market for RPG and tries to eliminate any possible competing platform out of the picture, and Setsuna shows that. This is no different with how they ditched PS3 in favor of PS4 with their multiplatform titles in the West, eg DQH and SO5.

I suppose that is a reasonable explanation as any.

But in the case of that wouldn't that also not prevent people from using Steam Link or even Remote play on their devices to get their handheld experience?

While it's not nearly as ideal as having a native platform release, it still lets handheld exclusive players from enjoying the game, right?

I suppose that is a reasonable explanation as any.

But in the case of that wouldn't that also not prevent people from using Steam Link or even Remote play on their devices to get their handheld experience?

While it's not nearly as ideal as having a native platform release, it still lets handheld exclusive players from enjoying the game, right?

SQEX doesn't care how you're playing the game but where you purchase it. SQEX showed quite clearly how their future platform support is going to be PS4 and PC and wants desperately to create a market on them.

They just want Sony to pull a Nintendo and publish the game.

Top Bottom