• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Games as a Service is "the mainstream model for gaming in the future"

StereoVsn

I enjoyed FFXV but that doesn't mean I am going to support this sort of shit constantly. Meh, I guess it's smaller tier Devs and backlog for me. Also, buying games 1-2 years after release will pay off as usual.

I understand why companies are heading that way but I can't help but think that there will be a consumer backlash once people are fed up with unfinished games swimming with Microtransactions.

blakep267

Can someone educate me on exactly what "games as a service" is exactly?

I've seen this phrase posted here often buy never paid mind to it.

We will still get the Single player Final Fantasy's and other JRPG'S from Square? How would it effect those games? If we'll still get those single player games and doesn't change those games much sure knock yourself out Square. Do your thing.
GAmes that have steady ongoing content added to it. Whether it be multiplayer updates or constant activities to do in SP. it extends the tail of the game and keeps players engaged and hopefully spending money

for example, watchdogs and Ghost recon have content roadmaps and steady new things for players to do. They are addding new missions, co-op and versus modes etc. On the MP side, a game like halo 5 had monthly map and weapons skin/armor drops etc.

FFXV would in theory would've gotten a more steady stream of content being added to the game or the game may have had a co-op element to it and additional content on that side of the game.

I finished FFXV and traded it in. If it were a better GAAS, I would still be playing new content that was released for it

JDH

Welp, looks like I'll have time to play my backlog of Physical games, as i'm not really into this service crap. The one thing i truly hate about Netflix is when the delist movies and shows.

Your favourite game gets delisted and you're shit out of luck. Booooo!

You'll still get single player games. It's just they'll keep adding to the game as time goes on.

Ah... I saw some more Posts and even played games like Splatoon where content was added but didn't know that's what "games as a service" is.

Now that I know. I see no problem with it. I kind of wish GameFreak would continue to add to a Pokémon game as a service instead of releasin update slightly different versions.

Ah... I saw some more Posts and even played games like Splatoon where content was added but didn't know that's what "games as a service" is.

Now that I know. I see no problem with it. I kind of wish GameFreak would continue to add to a Pokémon game as a service instead of releasin update slightly different versions.

I guess a better way to put it is that games as a service is code for "we want you to spend double the asking price of this game for far less than double the effort on our part" which is why it gets a bad rap. It's in many cases a really bad deal for the player, even in critically praised titles. Not always, mind you, but the whole point of the model is to get more profit for less effort.

It's not as bad as ppl make it out to be really. Obviously some companies can get over and will definitely try but think about it, so much is expected as we move further along the gens, more production values, better animations,when a game doesn't look next gen enough it gets ridiculed so I'm not at all surprised that with those bloated expectations and the devs and publishers desire to meet them other ways to make more of a profit were introduced

Games as a service I'll use rainbow six siege as an example. By now usually in the old days we'd have a sequel announced or out by now however, games as a service plan to maximize profits and longevity of a game thru various dlcs,expansions, and other means.
Big examples would be:
Overwatch
The division
Destiny
Rainbow six siege
Etc

Single player gamers yes can potentially be the same by offering expansions,character stories, as seen with ffxv adding multiplayer later

GAmes that have steady ongoing content added to it. Whether it be multiplayer updates or constant activities to do in SP. it extends the tail of the game and keeps players engaged and hopefully spending money

for example, watchdogs and Ghost recon have content roadmaps and steady new things for players to do. Ok the MP side, a game like halo 5 had monthly map and weapons skin/armor drops etc.

FFXV would in theory would've gotten a more steady stream of content being added to the game or the games may have had a co-op element to it and additional content on that side of the game

Thanks for the detail explanations. Like I said in a previous post I've played games that fell under this category just didn't know it. I'm hoping since the industry is doing this more we get better quality content. I think it's better than getting a slightly better sequel every year.

inner-G

Banned
Welp, looks like I'll have time to play my backlog of Physical games, as i'm not really into this service crap.

Agreed. I'm not paying into something I can't play at my leisure, even if that means years later. Playing online isn't a bonus for me.

Seik

Banned
Scary stuff with game like FFVII:R and KH3 coming.

I expect complete experiences that hopefully won't be tarnished by this BS.

SOLDIER

Scary stuff with game like FFVII:R and KH3 coming.

I expect complete experiences that hopefully won't be tarnished by this BS.

I would totally be down for KH3 DLC if it meant getting additional Disney-licensed worlds without waiting another ten years for the next game.

Can someone explain what games as a service means? MP-focused games with season passes/monthly map packs? No more "offline" single-player games like Uncharted 4? I don't really understand.

I guess a better way to put it is that games as a service is code for "we want you to spend double the asking price of this game for far less than double the effort on our part" which is why it gets a bad rap. It's in many cases a really bad deal for the player, even in critically praised titles. Not always, mind you, but the whole point of the model is to get more profit for less effort.

It's not as bad as ppl make it out to be really. Obviously some companies can get over and will definitely try but think about it, so much is expected as we move further along the gens, more production values, better animations,when a game doesn't look next gen enough it gets ridiculed so I'm not at all surprised that with those bloated expectations and the devs and publishers desire to meet them other ways to make more of a profit were introduced

I can only speak for myself. My whole thing is quality. While I don't expect the rest of the industry to come close to what CD Project Red did with their season pass content with the Witcher 3 I would like for the reSt of the industry to put enough quality worth while content in their add on to make me say and feel that it was worth paying for the extra content.

Thanks for smacking me wit Dat infinite knowledge yo! I'm out!

Ray Down

Banned
So more microtransactions?

Basically.

That and more content after the fact to keep players spending money on the game.

Makes sense when it takes years to get a mainline title out. Might was well have a team make some content for that game till then.

Demoskinos

I don't know how anyone who isn't a gambling addict could be excited for games as a service.

Games as a service doesn't just mean "lootboxes" thats just one kind of repeatable revenue stream. Games as a service means that games are constantly getting updated with new content that have some sort of repeatable revenue stream for the publisher.

There are plenty of games that do this just fine in a completely non-offensive way.

Kill3r7

Games as a service doesn't just mean "lootboxes" thats just one kind of repeatable revenue stream. Games as a service means that games are constantly getting updated with new content that have some sort of repeatable revenue stream for the publisher.

There are plenty of games that do this just fine in a completely non-offensive way.

Ditto.

Baleoce

I agree with you. I wish we as consumers rewarded the non offensive ones better though. Like the new episodic Hitman.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I enjoyed FFXV but that doesn't mean I am going to support this sort of shit constantly. Meh, I guess it's smaller tier Devs and backlog for me. Also, buying games 1-2 years after release will pay off as usual.

I understand why companies are heading that way but I can't help but think that there will be a consumer backlash once people are fed up with unfinished games swimming with Microtransactions.

Being a service game doesn't necessarily mean the game is unfinished.

Like Grand Theft Auto V is a service game, and the campaign was definitely not unfinished at launch.

Kill3r7

I agree with you. I wish we as consumers rewarded the non offensive ones better though. Like the new episodic Hitman.

Agreed but I think for episodic content to succeed the first episode needs to be free to draw in as many people as possible. Get folks hooked on the game and let them decide if they want to pay for more.

Brashnir

I look forward to them failing to understand what makes service-based games work and continue to miss the mark and slide further into irrelevance by producing flop after flop.

Granjinha

I look forward to them failing to understand what makes service-based games work and continue to miss the mark and slide further into irrelevance by producing flop after flop.

Are you talking about Square Enix? Cause they are definitely not "sliding further into irrelevance". They are one of the most successful publishers around.

It wouldn't surprise me. MS has been doing it ever since the start of Xbox One really. Ubi has all kinds of plans as well. But this really doesn't mean the end of SP or anything. Unless SE and Ubi all of a sudden quit with bringing SP games, which..... isn't going to happen.

Hopefully people can stop saying that about MS now too.

Fisty

Interestingly, the SE games I've bought recently are all re-releases and remasters

Being a service game doesn't necessarily mean the game is unfinished.

Like Grand Theft Auto V is a service game, and the campaign was definitely not unfinished at launch.

Grand Theft Auto Online was a GaaS game, and it was definitely not finished at launch

Mesoian

Square Enix doesn't want to pitch "We're behind and trying to catch up." to their investors.

"We're positive that Kingdom Hearts 3 will sell 10 million. But it needs another 3 years of development."

By the time they put a fully realized game that can use the games as service model, everyone else will be on some new shit.

There's really nothing wrong with this, as long as it doesn't impact the way they design the base game

I mean, given their history over the past decade, something DIRELY needs to change with the way they design their base games.

Hitman did it right, and we all know what happened.

Hitman proved it could work, despite the entire gaming community shit talking its model for almost a year.

BigEmil

Then i won't buy your games day 1 anymore Square

Ill reward other devs who ship a complete game from day 1 with full $60 purchase instead and ill get yours year later for cheap

Mesoian

Then i won't buy your games day 1 anymore Square

Ill reward other devs who ship a complete game from day 1 with full $60 purchase instead and ill get yours year later for cheap

I mean, again, with the way that Square has been doing their games, YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOING THIS.

I mean, this is smart. Particularly for their JRPGs. Break them into episodes. Treat every episode as a proper release (collector's editions etc.). Pump up the microtransactions. The JRPG audience eats up trinkets and collectibles. Lots more than $60 a copy to be made these days.

Fisty

Hitman proved it could work, despite the entire gaming community shit talking its model for almost a year.

Aren't they trying to sell the studio though? Doesn't seem congruent to give this quote while trying to sell off the one dev they had that did it right

BigEmil

I mean, again, with the way that Square has been doing their games, YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOING THIS.
Yep learnt my mistake with FFXV regret purchasing that day one ugh. The full complete game it should have been for this will be a year or two later at this rate

Rncewind

as long i can get retail full copies of a game (not simply a code in a box) i am fine

if a point is reached where this is not the case i need a new hobby i guess

DOWN

Banned
So is this where single player narratives get relatively low in number and games just largely become graphically stagnant, sequel-free multiplayer titles that get new maps for a whole generation to dodge the risk of spending on a true sequel package and overhaul?

UberTag

With Ubisoft flourishing this year if Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor, it's no wonder everyone else is trying to hop aboard the bandwagon.

Problem for these other publishers is... they're not Ubisoft. Square Enix, however, is set up to benefit more from this transition than just about every one of their Japanese contemporaries. They still know how to market... even if it's offensive marketing it's still effective marketing.

Top Bottom