• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix ships Tomb Raider 3.4M, Sleeping Dogs 1.75M, Hitman 3.6M

Pooya

about the expected part

I tried to explain it in OP, it's 'expected' and these 'results' the posted today are 'forecasts' because the fiscal quarter hasn't ended yet, it ends on March 31, you should see these as preview of the real thing that comes out in early May but will be same as these, that's why Wada quit now and not waited till then :p

SE does it every quarter pretty much, in advance of announcing the results on the scheduled day, they release revised forecasts!! because they failed miserably to match whatever they announced last quarter and I guess prepare the poor shareholders not holding them up until results come in LOLZ.

so yeah, you can assume these 3 games shipped that many as of now, not including digital.

Cyntec

We don't know what it sold. Those are shipments. It could get another smaller shipment or it could not. Or are these even shipments? Lolz se can't even do earnings right.

Obviously no idea how the games did digitally.

The games did not meet expectations. Pretty bad news. Bye Wada.

but the table says "expected units sold in FY13 - fiscal year 13 ends in a couple of days"

hamchan

Considering Tomb Raider only came out 3 weeks ago, expecting the game to ship 3.4 million copies before the end of the month definitely seems like a bit too much. Also Hitman shipping that much is pretty crazy too.

Celine

about the expected part

I tried to explain it in OP, it's 'expected' and these 'results' the posted today are 'forecasts' because the fiscal quarter hasn't ended yet, it ends on March 31, you should see these as preview of the real thing that comes out in early May but will be same as these, that's why Wada quit now and not waited till then :p

SE does it every quarter pretty much, in advance of announcing the results on the scheduled day, they release revised forecasts!! because they failed miserably to match whatever they announced last quarter and I guess prepare the poor shareholders not holding them up until results come in LOLZ.

so yeah, you can assume these 3 games shipped that many as of now, not including digital.
the "failed to meet each target" is what throw me off.

Pachinko

3 years development costs times at least 200 employees salaries per year = 50-60 million just in dev costs for tomb raider, Then you've got a , guesswork here, 30-50 million $ promotion budget for the game. Retail only makes money for the first couple months- 35$ per copy sold = 105 million $ revenue. So they might have just broken even in the game and they told shareholders it was going to do 75 million in profit.

So do we have any gauge in terms of the average Metacritic score for retail $60 releases?

Trying to gather my thoughts on their projection for scores.

olimpia84

Two things that really scare me about this topic:

1. The big amount of units sold some titles like Tomb Raider have to meet in order to be considered profitable. This doesn't bode well for this upcoming next gen era where development costs have nowhere to go but up.

2. The importance publishers are placing on Metacritc =/

Pooya

the "failed to meet each target" is what throw me off.

yeah, these are not those targets they failed to reach. with these 'expected' shipments they still fail to meet whatever target they had. SE doesn't reveal sales expectations like Capcom does a year in advance. I hope it's clear now.

Lime

I'm more surprised by it because I still have yet to see any concrete data that metascore affects sales. At best you have circumstancial evidence, but there are a lot of high score games that flounder in retail, and a few low score games that sell well.

True, I haven't seen any actual well-researched evidence that Metacritic scores directly affect sales of a game.

However, it could easily be argued that in this day and age of financial vulnerability, consumers are much, much, much more likely to look at a Metacritic score as an indicator on whether or not their hard-earned 60$ will be well-spent on Blockbuster Game X or Blockbuster Game Y.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
3 years development costs times at least 200 employees salaries per year = 50-60 million just in dev costs for tomb raider, Then you've got a , guesswork here, 30-50 million $ promotion budget for the game. Retail only makes money for the first couple months- 35$ per copy sold = 105 million $ revenue. So they might have just broken even in the game and they told shareholders it was going to do 75 million in profit.

The existance of the "greatest hits" line for all consoles pretty much disproves this. Those games are sold at $20 because they're pretty much pure profit outside of packing costs. They already made back the overhead expenses.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
'Rebooting' two franchises near the tail end of a generation never seemed like a good idea to me. Games like Mass Effect and Assassins Creed definitely benefitted from the bombast of a launch window.

I fear for Beyond and The Last of Us as well.

Mithos

Propably because of the reasons mentioned in OP, i.e. prices falling shortly after release ("price pressure was strong").

If your making a game with the expectations that it will earn you all money spent in the first month, I'm sorry but then your doing it wrong.

If Tomb Raider 6 months from now still have sold under expectations yeah then its a failure.

We don't know what it sold. Those are shipments. It could get another smaller shipment or it could not. Or are these even shipments? Lolz se can't even do earnings right.

Seriously. Who put these slides together? This is confusing as hell. Are these actual shipments or what they wanted to ship? If the latter, why even mention that without the content of what HAS shipped? Why not include that information?

Whoever takes over the CEOship is going to have a long job ahead of them to right this ship if said ship can't even do investor reports right anymore.

DaBoss

Sees metacritic score

the-office-no.gif

What the hell is wrong with publishers putting so much weight into metacritic scores.

Well the point is that critical-acclaim among reviewers doesn't guarantee good sales.

jcm

I assume Hitman and sleeping dogs are the big problem here. Prices on those dropped like a rock. Tomb raider has been holding up, so far at least.

Edit: actually , tr is $40 at amazon, so I guess it really is all three.

Peterthumpa

Sees metacritic score

the-office-no.gif

What the hell is wrong with publishers putting so much weight into metacritic scores.
GAF wants it or not, Metacritic is THE standard for analyzing a game's performance among the press. If it's highly acclaimed, box quotes and all - it's (in theory) an easier sell.

synce

I recall RE6 was a failure to Capcom because it couldn't sell 7M copies. I figure we have one more console generation to go before the industry implodes on itself :)

If Tomb Raider shipped 3.5 million in 3 weeks on two platforms (no digital sales, so PC essentially excluded) and underperformed, I wonder how high their target was.

kswiston

about the expected part

I doubt this is the correct interpretation. 3.6M for Hitman would be huge. That's better than what Arkham Asylum did in the same timeframe. That would also be close to twice what the last game did LTD. I think that was their lofty target, and that they failed to meet the target.

sublimit

Banned
Well the point is that critical-acclaim among reviewers doesn't guarantee good sales.

Maybe i'm being optimistic but could it be consumers are starting to realize that the majority of reviewers are not to be trusted in this industry?

Dabanton

Sees metacritic score

the-office-no.gif

We have dedicated review threads on here where the score or lack of it can decide whether someone is getting a game on release day or in a couple months.

It matters to both business and consumer.

Pociask

Maybe the other slides cover this, but it looks like Square is trying to pin Eidos for their problems, when really whoever was making such ridiculously inflated sales targets is to blame. Also, the slide doesn't reflect how Square has utterly failed to consistetly release non-Eidos titles, which is their biggest failing.

In the Wada is gone thread, someone jokingly referred to picking up the ex-EA CEO. They could do worse - at least EA seemed to deliver titles on time (that can have its own negatives, rush jobs etc., but still).

Derrick01

Banned
Even if they made a Hitman game that Derrick would have loved, its not likely to sell 1 million units in a year, let alone 3.6. Tomb Raider will probably be near the top 10 of the NPD, but its not going to do 3.4 million in a month. Even shipped, thats ridiculous.

I think a real hitman game would have done better than this at least. The PC crowd alone would have boosted it up if it was a traditional hitman game. Deus Ex HR did almost a million on PC alone at launch since it had about 80k concurrent users.

Lime

I recall RE6 was a failure to Capcom because it couldn't sell 7M copies. I figure we have one more console generation to go before the industry implodes on itself :)

If that's the punishment for killing off the middle-budget genres, like survival horror, RTS and stealth, then it's fine by me.

Even then, publishers are continuing to ramp up budgets and reducing their offerings to derivative lowest common denominator bullshit, so it's their own damn fault.

Coolwhip

Banned
The AAA videogame business must be unpleasant to be a part of right now. Already struggling to meet targets with a 150 million installed base. And a reset coming this year <_<

mclem

If your making a game with the expectations that it will earn you all money spent in the first month, I'm sorry but then your doing it wrong.

If Tomb Raider 6 months from now still have sold under expectations yeah then its a failure.

Given how front-loaded the AAA blockbuster games industry is right now, I think you can have a fair idea after the first month as to how realistic meeting the targets is.

Pooya

I doubt this is the correct interpretation. 3.6M for Hitman would be huge. That's better than what Arkham Asylum did in the same timeframe. That would also be close to twice what the last game did LTD. I think that was their lofty target, and that they failed to meet the target.

it's not if they moved those units with heavy price promotion, as the slide suggest they did exactly that. shipped isn't sold either, their sell through could be a lot less than another game shipping same copies. SE overships their titles a lot and their lose their price very quickly.

kswiston

Maybe the other slides cover this, but it looks like Square is trying to pin Eidos for their problems, when really whoever was making such ridiculously inflated sales targets is to blame. Also, the slide doesn't reflect how Square has utterly failed to consistetly release non-Eidos titles, which is their biggest failing.

In the Wada is gone thread, someone jokingly referred to picking up the ex-EA CEO. They could do worse - at least EA seemed to deliver titles on time (that can have its own negatives, rush jobs etc., but still).

Human Revolution was at 2.2M sales after its first year. How many S-E titles have broken 2.2M worldwide since they acquired Eidos? Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest 9? Not sure how much blame they can throw at Eidos when they are supplying almost all of their multimillion sellers.

it's not if they moved those units with heavy price promotion, as the slide suggest they did exactly that. shipped isn't sold either, their sell through could be a lot less than another game shipping same copies. SE overships their titles a lot and their lose their price very quickly.

It still seems too high. 500M yen for price protection adjustments only works out to $5.3 million. That doesn't cover all that many copies selling at $30-40 less than a month after release.

Lime

Maybe i'm being optimistic but could it be consumers are starting to realize that the majority of reviewers are not to be trusted in this industry?

When 9's and 10's are handed out left and right, with an extraordinary use of superlatives and hyperbole, it's no fucking wonder that people have lost faith in contemporary game reviews.

When this has been the standard for several years now, it's perfectly understandable that the industry and the reviewers have created this weird vortex of financial reliance on Metacritic scores.
12730408775220mwigs.png

Hopefully you are right that consumers have realized this.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Big japanese companies of old just don't know what's happening in the west these days, Capcom fails at sales forecasts every single time too.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe this will be a wake up call for SE and Eidos. Stop ruining old franchises for the sake of the casual crowd that doesn't exist anymore and keep your budgets in check. Deus Ex and Hitman fans don't need bleeding edge graphics to buy the game, Tomb Raider fans just want puzzles and actual Tombs.

Effect

Considering Tomb Raider only came out 3 weeks ago, expecting the game to ship 3.4 million copies before the end of the month definitely seems like a bit too much. Also Hitman shipping that much is pretty crazy too.

A LOT of games are very front loaded though. So it's not crazy to expect the bulk of the sales to be within the first few weeks. Especially when so many publishers release a game and then forget about it after the first several weeks. Rarely do games continue to be pushed. That's when the game will be at full price as well and they'll get the most return on their invest. Sounds like not even that happen because they had to pay retailers who slash the prices in order to move units.

People aren't stupid. We all know how things go. Wait a few weeks and the prices will drop from $60 to something many consider to be far more reasonable be it $50, $40, or even $30.

dose

Ugh I hate how Metacritic gets to be a deciding factor for a lot of these developers and publishers. Some arbitrary score designations, random weighting, not to mention inclusion of inept and inane reviews into the formula makes it invalid yet publishers continue to use it as a benchmark.
Totally this. Metacritic is great for checking out reviews etc, but companies using it as something reliable to find out their average score is ridiculous.

UrbanRats

I'm still not clear how metacritic decides the average for each game either.
They don't simply round up all the reviews and draw an average from that, right? Each website has a different weight, as far as i understand, though is there a way to see which websites as more influence?

SpaceHobo

Banned
People are reading this wrong , the numbers listed are what they expected to ship/sell/whatever , they fell short of those targets.

Mithos

Tomb Raider fans just want puzzles and actual Tombs.

Yeah that is what's missing in the new game that should just have been called: Lara Croft
I wonder how fast they will start spew out singlepalyer Tomb DLC and outfit DLC now to try to make money.... ;p

People aren't stupid. We all know how things go. Wait a few weeks and the prices will drop from $60 to something many consider to be far more reasonable be it $50, $40, or even $30.

On PC its never been that high, weeks before release half price for a Steam code, and its still half price (ie ~$30).

Top Bottom