• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to spend less on development/more on marketing, planning E3 presentation

Stuart444

This is all from the new CEO.

He's not officially approved yet, but he's in charge at the moment.

Ah... well I don't think the more on marketing stuff is good but maybe the "less on development" means they will make sure not to spend 5 - 8 years on a game.

Oh, whatever really... I just hope they get their shit together in the next few years so SE threads can be slightly more positive than they are now.

Yes, though that's technically the midpoint of their guidance. They expect between 5 to 9 billion yen in operating income ($49-$88.5 million).

I see. Thank you.

I still want to see how they're gonna cut down development to something closer to PS2 era having way more studios now that back then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see. Thank you.

I still want to see how they're gonna cut down development to something closer to PS2 era having way more studios now that back then.

Well, if it is per game, they could presumably clamp development at 2-2.5 years instead of 4-5.

If it's total expenditure then they're going to layoff half the company. Given that they want to make regional games, presumably it would be half of each division.

shaowebb

If it was budgets overall going down I'd be a bit more optimistic. But less on development and more on marketing? Disgusting.

This really. If the budgets were downsized and they had to focus on core gameplay more it'd be a good thing, but keeping the budgets the same and just dumping even less effort into the title so you can promote it louder wont make it good.

You can shout all you want about a turd, but it'll still be a piece of shit.

This is square enix we're talking about here though. They forgot LONG ago how to focus on gameplay. Eidos has been shimming this sinking ship up for awhile. Square Enix honestly just wants to make movies, but they are stuck in the game industry and are stuck trying to make the square peg go into the round hole to glorify their cinematic hearts so they can pretend they are making films with each game.

Circling the toilet. Next gen I hope they flush so we can see them bought up. At this point the dream would be if either Namco or Atlus stepped in to buy RPG franchises someday. Eidos though is another story and they do well on their own. Buy their staff but ditch the Square Enix side if it comes to that point someday.

jschreier

They really could use better marketing. I recommend more honesty. Like this:

ff-fugum.jpg

Because you know what Square-Enix's games needed? More marketing. And mobile versions of all of them. In fact, let's cancel the non-mobile versions.

grumble

I'm looking forward to them increasing their development turnover. Their 4+ year development cycles are ludicrous, both in terms of getting consumers to play their titles and getting the company to get their money back. A change to 2-3 year cycles will hugely improve their profitability, output and get them more cash.

their engine is also wasted if they release such a low volume of titles. It's a fixed cost, spread it out over as many games as possible.

With all this talk about "making fans wait too long for information", it makes me wonder if they are actually going to talk about Versus and KH3. Knowing how Square Enix operates though, they will continue to not talk about those projects.

I am so tired of this BS from them. Being a Square Enix fan these days is extremely tiring and frustrating.

With all this talk about "making fans wait to long for information", it makes me wonder if they are actually going to talk about Versus and KH3. Knowing how Square ENIX operates though they will continue to not talk about those projects.

I am so tired of this BS from them. Being a Square Enix fan these days is extremely tiring and frustrating.

It's obviously the exclusive FFVII re-make for PS4/PSV Cross-buy.

Well, if it is per game, they could presumably clamp development at 2-2.5 years instead of 4-5.

If it's total expenditure then they're going to layoff half the company. Given that they want to make regional games, presumably it would be half of each division.

That would be pretty crazy. That's approximately 1,600 people worldwide.

I wonder what this means for Square-Enix Montreal.

With all this talk about "making fans wait too long for information", it makes me wonder if they are actually going to talk about Versus and KH3. Knowing how Square Enix operates though, they will continue to not talk about those projects.

Why would anyone expect news on Kingdom Hearts 3 any time soon?

Why would anyone expect news on Kingdom Hearts 3 any time soon?

I'm not. That's what I just said. Osaka has been working on several KH titles BTW.

They are basically the new Kingdom Hearts team (according to Nomura).

What I was saying is that they sound like they want to be more transparent but the reality is they won't. They'll continue to be very closed off and keep everything to themselves.

stolin

I don't seek out to buy marketing... I just want the games. Great games, by great teams with great directors. I remember when SE had more of those... I wish they had more now.. I won't buy anything on a phone.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Crank out some FF/DQ 3DS games to start piling up cash.

I'd actually prefer them to get back to their roots and remember that glitz doesn't make a game.

Spend less time making quality games. More money on advertising. Great plan.

Only a matter of time before this worthless carcass hits rock bottom and gets bought out.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Tomb Raider seemed like it suffered from an excess of focus testing. Maybe Hitman: Absolution could be painted with that brush as well; I don't know who that story and the Saints business was supposed to appeal to.

They both seem to have pretty spiffy engines though, so there is that.

I'm not. That's what I just said. Osaka has been working on several KH titles BTW.

They are basically the new Kingdom Hearts team (according to Nomura).

What I was saying is that they sound like they want to be more transparent but the reality is they won't. They'll continue to be very closed off and keep everything to themselves.

No, I mean, I don't think they're working on KH3 yet, not until Versus is out. Osaka might be the new KH team but don't you think Nomura would want to work on it with his Tokyo team?

Orca

Less time on engine building? Good idea. Maybe don't spend 2/3rds of a generation building engines.

My first take on it was that they were happy with where their new engine was and could stop spending on development and roll that money into pushing games marketing instead. After reading all the other tweets and follow up it's not clear that's what they were saying at all though.

No, I mean, I don't think they're working on KH3 yet, not until Versus is out. Osaka might be the new KH team but don't you think Nomura would want to work on it with his Tokyo team?

I am sure some from the Tokyo team are working on it along with Versus in conjunction with Osaka. We know Nomura already started on the script and senario a while ago.

Plus Osaka must be working on something else. Not a whole lot of development resources are going into these HD Remasters because of some wizard programmers.

I am sure some from the Tokyo team are working on it along with Versus in conjunction with Osaka. We know Nomura already started on the script and senario a while ago.

Plus Osaka must be working on something else. Not a whole lot of development resources are going into these HD Remasters because of some wizard programmers.

Most of SE's dev pipelines are occupied by FFXIV and they will move on quickly to Versus after it's released. I don't know, it doesn't sound likely that KH3 is farther than early concept phase.

No. Maybe a couple years ago he did.

I guess even Nomura doesn't care anymore.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So is their E3 lineup affected because of this?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's good.

Honestly, I think it'd be best for them if they focus less (or almost non-exsitent less) on AAA Western development. I mean DQ can sell over millions with IMO, less budget than the likes of Tomb Raider, plus the fact that DQ sells more than TR thanks to Japan. FF can be compared to TR in terms of development cost I'm assuming, sure but the former sells/ships much more than the latter + I also assume the FF merchandise sells really well too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So is their E3 lineup affected because of this?

I don't see how it could be in all honesty. It's not like they have anything else that wasn't planned since April or March. Much of what they were going to show at E3 was most likely set it stone.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's good.

Honestly, I think it'd be best for them if they focus less (or almost non-exsitent less) on AAA Western development. I mean DQ can sell over millions with IMO, less budget than the likes of Tomb Raider, plus the fact that DQ sells more than TR thanks to Japan. FF can be compared to TR in terms of development cost I'm assuming, sure but the former sells/ships much more than the latter + I also assume the FF merchandise sells really well too.

It's more than just that... you could probably list out many reasons why SE is in the position they are today and this new plan of theirs sounds like they're about to repeat many of the same mistakes that landed them in their current situation.

I recently rewatched their E3 2006 presentation and it was a stark contrast to their lineups for the past couple years or so. They even announced a DQ game there! That would never happen now...

DSN2K

budget has very little to do with whats wrong with Final Fantasy currently, the fact square sort of see this at some level is a positive sign.

It's more than just that... you could probably list out many reasons why SE is in the position they are today and this new plan of theirs sounds like they're about to repeat many of the same mistakes that landed them in their current situation.

I recently rewatched their E3 2006 presentation and it was a stark contrast to their lineups for the past couple years or so. They even announced a DQ game there! That would never happen now...

Their E3 2006 presentation was actually good back in the day.

And so many things promised just on XIII alone that they broke.

"No ports or sequels"

And you could tell with XIII's end that it was supposed to stay that way. The End. <----- it even said that at the end of the game. No wonder XIII-2 basically retconned the entire end to XIII.

Then there was Versus. I remember people being genuinely more excited for that game, myself included.

That video just depresses me now because it was the moment right before everything went wrong.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Their E3 2006 presentation was actually good back in the day.

And so many things promised just on XIII alone that they broke.

"No ports or sequels"

And you could tell with XIII's end that it was supposed to stay that way. The End. <----- it even said that at the end of the game. No wonder XIII-2 basically retconned the entire end to XIII.

Then there was Versus. I remember people being genuinely more excited for that game, myself included.

That video just depresses me now because it was the moment right before everything went wrong.

The "no ports or sequels" part of FNC is so hilarious looking back.

Top Bottom