• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, & Hitman all broke even, sequels implied

Foffy

Banned
Please, for Hitman 6 they need three things.

- Make the game like Silent Assassin/Contracts/Blood Money
- David Bateson needs to be 47
- Jesper Kyd needs to compose the soundtrack

Bateson was literally the only good thing about Absolution. His performance was amazing, considering the dumb plot of the game, and that's not even considering the original intent of the game. I wish they did something with Mr. X

When I play a Hitman game, I want to be carrying out hits. I want to be given a target and a big sandbox in which to kill them. I don't want to spend most of the game scuttling around from cover to cover trying to sneak from point A to point B.

Rflagg

Sleeping dogs is a great game and deserved to be a huge success,hope they do as good a job (or dare I dream even better) with 2 and it prints them money.

dosh

Bateson was literally the only good thing about Absolution. His performance was amazing, considering the dumb plot of the game, and that's not even considering the original intent of the game. I wish they did something with Mr. X

At this point, I wouldn't mind a complete reboot of the franchise. Going back to the basic premise of "47 is this bald guy who kills people for money" is probably the best way to ensure no convoluted and messy story arcs will barge in and force themselves on the gameplay.

Rising_Hei

Its better in all areas compared to UC3, and gameplay wise it is better than UC2

Not really...

What is an awesome cutscene or QTE in Tomb Raiser... is usually 100 % playable in Uncharted 2 and 3

That's what make those games awesome

Moff

hm, I like the teaser for hitman 6.
the lack of international missions was something fans didnt like, so maybe this map is a good omen that they will give fans what they want?

I'm one of the few hitman fans who liked absolution, but heres what I 'd like to see in hitman 6:

- everything new absolution brought to the table: the great grahpics, the smooth controls, the challenge system, online leaderboards and the contracts multiplayer
- lose the instinct system and bring back maps, I like maps, they make me feel like a professional.
- change the disguise system again. I think absoultions was good, but I like how they design a new one for each installment
- make the game mission based agai, with loadouts and a hideout and bring back long term punishment for poorly finished missions, I loved the blood money newspapers.
- at least 80% missions designed like in contracts and blood money, meaning BIG, free roaming levels with lots of exploration, useful points of interest and at least 1 target each.
I dont mind some linear or non-action missions for the sake of a story, although I dont mind if the game doesnt have a story at all.
- I'd love something new in the franchise, I think the setup of absolution would allow the introduction of a new player character: veronica. I know many fans will probably be against this, but as a hitman fan since codename 47, I would love this.
a young woman as a player character would open tons of opportunities and replayability. you could play each level either as 47 or veronica, and some ways to solve a mission would be exslusive to each: imagine the classic hitman setting in a night club. 47 could dress up as the pimp, or veronica as a stripper.

I just hope the new Hitman isn't like the last.

You could go terminator through each level killing everyone using no stealth at all and the game progresses the exact same even if you did spent a heap of time and effort using stealth.

Kitty

Banned
Agent 47, 17 and 21..

2pWIp9m.gif

rrzkLss.gif

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Yep, Hitman 6 is supposed to be announced soon IIRC. Game was apparently pushed forward a year to next fall after Square Montreal's one fell apart. To compensate for the contracted development cycle, rumor is that IO and Square Enix were looking into turning it into a F2P Contracts mode-oriented game.

ZehDon

Gold Member
260c4fb88de81e7e2e261639af5625551e36a1b784d85ecc7c82bb0fd065910a.jpg

I thought Sleeping Dogs was pretty damn incredible, and would grab a second one in a heart beat. It absolutely captured that Hong Kong action movie vibe, and I loved the combat systems in it. Bring me another one, and I'll buy it and all the DLC.

That's maybe the best scene in the game... I replay that mission so much.

Wasn't Jackie wearing a hoody though?

I watch a lot of Chinese drama, movie... Wife is Chinese. So I've seen a lot of HK action movies. And that's what I like about Sleeping Dogs the most. It doesn't try to overreach. Sometimes games seem like they try too hard to be emotional or philosophical. Sleeping Dogs just comes in and says, hey, it's a just a cop story. It doesn't go outside its safe area trying to grasp at spy agencies or terrorism or war in terms of scale; it doesn't try to send some symbolic message or ask a philosophical question. Maybe it tries to play the emotion card a bit but otherwise, it's a pretty basic cop story with just enough gray ethics and intrigue to keep the story interesting but not overwhelming, well paced but not brief, and just enough gray ethics and humanity to make you care without making you feel like you're forcing to care.

Best example I saw another GAFer use was the scene where you help your friend's wife get her wedding stuff, and how he actually behaved differently and drove slow with her. Not because the story forced you do drive slow or to care, but just because he wanted to. And a lot of GAFers replied that they had done the same.

Story is almost a perfect example of efficiency in terms of making you care as much as possible with as little forced emotional story as possible. I accredit that to the character design and basic plot. The story is fun but it's really the basic cop/gang plot that keeps you intrigued, and the character design the makes your care. It was easy to like and side with Wei Shen, and easy to hate when he hated, and care when he cared.

Kitty

Banned
And here is the open letter.

Dear Hitman fans,

We wanted to share this open letter with all of you out there eagerly awaiting more news about what’s happening next in the franchise.

At Io-Interactive right now, we are building the next AAA Hitman game for PC and next-gen consoles. It has our total focus and we wanted to take a moment to tell you a few things about it.

In the next game you will experience a globetrotting Agent 47 at the prime of his career – the apex predator stalking his prey across the world, with the support of his long-term handler Diana Burnwood and the whole of the ICA.

The game concentrates on the core Hitman fantasy of using a wide range of tools to take out a diverse group of targets across expansive, exotic locations around the world. We are building this game on the backbone of the Glacier 2 engine, using the best parts and what we have learnt through Hitman: Absolution and drawing inspiration from past titles like Contracts and Blood Money to fulfil the core Hitman fantasy. That means we’re packing in an extreme level of detail on the largest levels we have ever built for a Hitman game. We’ve adopted an open, non-linear level design approach to the game, ensuring the game will play out across huge, checkpoint-free, sandbox levels. Our aim is to create living, breathing and believable levels which will allow gamers to play around with the AI to create those unique moments every fan of the Hitman franchise loves.

Contracts Mode is back – you will be able to create and build challenges by experimenting with the large levels and possibilities within them. And of course, you can share them with the world and challenge your friends or foes to complete your hits. Your rules, your Contracts.

You will also be glad to hear that we have removed 47’s magic pockets. We believe that’s all we need to say about that subject.

As we get further into 2014, we will reveal more and get into much closer contact with all of you. There are so many things we have planned and we are extremely excited for the future of Hitman.

Thank you all for your dedication. We will share much, much more in the coming months.

The Io-Interactive Team
@IOInteractive

(Maybe this should be in it's on thread?)

Top Bottom