• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, & Hitman all broke even, sequels implied

sleepykyo

If they make a Tomb Raider 2 I wonder if they will finally get around to putting gameplay in the game.

Sure, a single level of annivesary has more puzzles and platforming than the entirety of TR 2013. But TR 2013 had plenty of the modern gameplay: upgrades, guns, finishing moves, insanely strong evasive rolls, really generous counter windows, and tacked on multi-player.

RagnarokX

Sure, a single level of annivesary has more puzzles and platforming than the entirety of TR 2013. But TR 2013 had plenty of the modern gameplay: upgrades, guns, finishing moves, insanely strong evasive rolls, really generous counter windows, and tacked on multi-player.

But that gameplay is incredibly shallow and monotonous. You get it a dime a dozen in the current gaming market. Tomb Raider didn't even do that gameplay in an outstanding and interesting way.

Ledsen

I actually just finished Sleeping Dogs (100%! Yay!) and wrote my thoughts down about it in a PM but here's as good as anywhere to post them and maybe get a discussion going:

You should probably spoiler mark this post, I know I didn't expect ending spoliers for Sleeping Dogs in a thread about S-E's financials.

Huh, I've actually ended up playing all three of these. Don't care about the other two, but Sleeping Dogs 2?!

tumblr_inline_ml3lzfu9Co1qz4rgp.gif

Time to go to China.

jwk94

I forgot Tomb Raider had multiplayer.

Persona86

Banned
I actually just finished Sleeping Dogs (100%! Yay!) and wrote my thoughts down about it in a PM but here's as good as anywhere to post them and maybe get a discussion going:

Maybe the next Sleeping Dogs should be in south Korea. For two good reasons.

1: How many games are set in Korea? It would be an unique experience.

2: South Korea has strict gun laws, a good excuse to not have shoot shoot shoot in the whole game.

Still as salty as ever I see.

I;ll never understand the complaint. The gameplay was incredibly satisfying for the most part, using the bow was fantastic. Incredibly satisfying pulling off headshots, etc.

I get that people weren't happy with the cinematic approach, but the gameplay itself was incredibly solid and satisfying. Much more so than that in Absolution for example.

Ferro

I definitely up for more Sleeping Dogs, and i will also give another Hitman a chance, while the stealth/disguise system was broken I enjoyed the atmosphere it created. Tomb Raider on the other hand did not work for me, so a sequel for that does not excite me in the least.

AJ_Wings

I kinda liked Absolution despite some messy mechanics and design choices, if SE Montreal focuses more on sandbox-y level instead of the more linear and restricted levels of Absolution the new one could turn out into a fine Hitman game.

Yay for the other two.
I vote for Malaysia for setting of the next Sleepy Dawgs!

RagnarokX

Still as salty as ever I see.

If only Oprah gifs could show us how the game wasn't a disappointment for people wanting Tomb Raider gameplay. :p

I;ll never understand the complaint. The gameplay was incredibly satisfying for the most part, using the bow was fantastic. Incredibly satisfying pulling off headshots, etc.

I get that people weren't happy with the cinematic approach, but the gameplay itself was incredibly solid and satisfying. Much more so than that in Absolution for example.

The stealth battles in Tomb Raider were fun, but there were very few of them. The majority of the gameplay was very monotonous cover shooting. The platforming and puzzles were dumbed down to the point that they may as well not be called those words.

sublimit

Banned
If they make a Tomb Raider 2 I wonder if they will finally get around to putting gameplay in the game.

Oh there will be plenty of gameplay!!Magnetic and inconsistent platforming,easy as fuck puzzles,QTEs,scenes where you will only be able to walk,button prompts showing you where a tomb (or actually a cave) is,tons of pointless combat,and cutscene upon cutscene in every few minutes.
Have no fear modern gamer,we got you covered!!

I'll take Sleeping Dogs 2.

Just budget a bit better, 'kay Square?

Also, I wouldn't mind having two protagnists, one a triad and one a policeman. Police dude plays like Shen in the Snake year dlc, triad guy smashes people in the face with telephones.

Also less shooting, and a bit less driving, or ability to call taxi for fast travel. :)

It was mostly inoffensive, I guess. It did the whole shooting dudes thing pretty well but who was asking for that in Tomb Raider? I'll disagree on one aspect, the tombs were horribly unsatisfying. I was legitimately mad when I got the achievement for completing all of them. My God! There was a hint button too, why the fuck were they so easy? Why waste so much time modelling those lovely environments when most people are gonna spend 90s in them tops? At least make them multi-tiered. Something

There's this one where you shoot the magical exploding gas, climb a ledge and jump across. That's it. Why?

Gangxxter

I hope in TR2 the platforming parts will be much more challenging than in TR1. And much, much more tombs are a must-have!

Is SD anything good? I'm eagerly waiting for GTA V and I thought about getting SD to bridge the time.

Glass Rebel

Sleeping Dogs was a great first entry. It fixed many issues I have with most open-world games and the setting and story, despite some inconsistencies, were really refreshing. I still think there's room for improvement though. The combat, while deeper than most Western games, still has some untapped potential. Punches and kicks need to be separate, combos need to flow better and it needs more moves. The gunfights were decent for the most part but going with the Hong Kong cinema theme it really needs to approach Max Payne 3. The
hospital scene
was probably one of my favourite parts of the game, as it was an obvious homage to the last stretch of
Hard Boiled
, really needed some more spectacle in its gunfights. More power behind the guns, tighter hallways, more debris flying around, better enemy AI etc. Then there's the fact that the game world, while absolutely stunning both in graphics and design, was tragically empty in terms of actual content. If that helps keep the budget down I really don't mind but I found more and more that it didn't really need to be an open-world game if they don't take advantage of it. It was kinda worth it for the chases alone, even though on-foot controls need a bit more tweaking. Despite its rough edges, Sleeping Dogs was a great experience and I'd love to play a sequel that improves on it.

Tomb Raider was as weak as I expected it to be so I can't really complain. It had hints of greatness and with an improved combat system I could see the combat and stealth really being fun but not with the ridiculous invincibility frames of Lara's roll or the lazily patched together levels that didn't take advantage of her moveset. Shanty Town was the best area in this regard: A wide open area with lots of vertical geometry. Sadly the enemies are too stupid for a good combat scenario to manifest. The other elements are similarly shallow: The platforming is practically automatic and the puzzles are something a pre-schooler could solve. And the tombs were just insulting. The whole mentality of giving the player more positive feedback than he deserves permeates the design of the game from beginning to end and trivializes player input. If the most interesting things happening on screen aren't even done by me, why am I even playing the game? I don't even mind that it's such a departure from the Tomb Raider of old, it's just that it's so painfully mediocre in absolutely every regard. I only paid $25 so no hard feelings but I'm not exactly looking forward to Tomb Raider 2 if it's more of the same.

But Hitman: Absolution was the one that actually felt like a rip-off to me. Even writing about it just frustrates me to no end. It could have been so much better if it weren't for the ridiculously small levels and the stealth mechanics like the disguise "system" but even when it kinda sorta managed to grasp some of that Blood Money genius it didn't even come close. I'll be avoiding a sequel like the plague unless I can play like 3 hours beforehand.

tl;dr:
Sleepy Dawgs: :)
Tomb Raider: :|
Hitman: :(

Gun Animal

"We achieved our primary goal of both reinvigorating existing IP and creating new IPs."

This makes me think---how many "new" IPs this gen were just spiritual successors to already existing IPs? Sleeping Dogs was originally a true crime game, Assassin's Creed was originally a Prince of Persia spin-off, Bioshock is a spiritual system shock sequel etc etc. How many AAA new IPs this gen weren't spiritual sequels of existing IPs?

Timbuktu

Maybe the next Sleeping Dogs should be in south Korea. For two good reasons.

1: How many games are set in Korea? It would be an unique experience.

2: South Korea has strict gun laws, a good excuse to not have shoot shoot shoot in the whole game.

It's not like Hong Kong really ever have shoot ups. Even in more recent triad movies like Election I & II, you never ever really see a gun.

Although I would like them to try Hong Kong again with next gen power and make feel more like the real place in terms of how busy and bustling it is, Shanghai would feel like the next logical step.

There isn't anything particularly iconic about Seoul. Even in Korean movies, it really feels like a fairly generic modern city. If they continue with the triad storyline, Thailand would also make sense and keep the fish out of water angle for Wei.

sleepykyo

Combat was significantly improved. However, the exploration, problem-solving and traversal were marginalized.

Tacitus_

They should put a shitload of cosmetic DLC in the next Sleeping Dogs and EatChildren will fund the third game all by himself.

Xanathus

It's not like Hong Kong really ever have shoot ups. Even in more recent triad movies like Election I & II, you never ever really see a gun.

Although I would like them to try Hong Kong again with next gen power and make feel more like the real place in terms of how busy and bustling it is, Shanghai would feel like the next logical step.

There isn't anything particularly iconic about Seoul. Even in Korean movies, it really feels like a fairly generic modern city. If they continue with the triad storyline, Thailand would also make sense and keep the fish out of water angle for Wei.

Setting it in Korea would allow the VA for Wei Shen to actually speak the local language instead of conjuring up the bizarre scenario where the triad would allow a banana (Chinese who doesn't speak Chinese) into their gang.

Timbuktu

Setting it in Korea would allow the VA for Wei Shen to actually speak the local language instead of conjuring up the bizarre scenario where the triad would allow a banana (Chinese who doesn't speak Chinese) into their gang.

I wish they could, but we all know that the main character is always going to speak English no matter where he is.

It's so weird hearing people says they can't wait for Tomb Raider 2, because when I hear that the first thing that comes to my mind is:

tomb_raider_2_box.jpg

:\

and please CD... how about some REAL TOMB RAIDING this time around?

Like you know...... exploring Tombs and solving a real puzzles -_-"

You can make TR with modern elements AND add the old ones too, it's NOT impossible.

Jarnet87

Good for Eidos and fans of their games, not good news for fans who want to see Squaresoft change. I hope this new CEO sees things a lot different then Wada did, because if not expect the company approach to stay exactly the same. Their M.O. since buying Eidos has been "lets pull the wool over the eyes of Western gamers by making it look like we care about them. Here's a bunch of games (Eidos games) were making America and Europe wink wink. Meanwhile what little new games they are making that are new and creative are staying put in Japan.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
But that gameplay is incredibly shallow and monotonous. You get it a dime a dozen in the current gaming market. Tomb Raider didn't even do that gameplay in an outstanding and interesting way.
And yet it was a better game than Anniversary and Underworld...

Kikujiro

It had more gameplay than Metroid Other M.

I really want to see Sleeping Dogs 2, the game just needed more content, and a sequel is perfect for that. Stick with Hong Kong pls. Shanghai would be great too.

Top Bottom