• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, & Hitman all broke even, sequels implied

Grisby

TR and SD were tons of fun. Hitman was alright too considering it was my first experience with the IP.

So yeah, I'll take one of each please.

IceBreak

Banned
Tomb Raider was awesome. Best bow mechanics in a video game all-time. I'm in for day one on the sequel (with hopefully a better story).

Grayman

I would be in for another sleeping dogs. I don't know if they would be smart to throw more money and mainstreaming at it though.

Day 1 for sleepy dawgs. Now:

tumblr_m97f2kHvtI1qfe8xpo1_500.jpg

Sleeping Dogs 2: No Wei Out

Pre-order today to receive exclusive "Food-on-a-Stick"™ DLC.

No Wei Out should be the real title.

cameron

Depending on the direction they go, TR2 has the potential to be phenomenal. Like a U1 -> U2 leap. Or Gears -> Gears 2 leap. Sign me up.

Hitman Absolution wasn't for me. I didn't bother finishing it. Paid full price, too. Maybe another take from the new studio will grab my interest.

No comment on Sleeping Dogs. Haven't played it yet.

Kyari

"I believe that the transformation to online titles and the diversification of profit opporunities is the key."

Sounds like they'll probably attempt to shoe horn multiplayer into more games, and nickle and dime us over DLC?

Glad to see they're not going to waste all the money spent on reviving those franchises.

TR day one. Please maintain their budget, it's your biggest game.

You can cut all that CG for Hitman and no one would notice.

antitrop

Can't wait for epic battle between Tricky I Shadow and Derrick to start anew

It'd be like Blue's ending in Saga Frontier
Wasn't really all that epic of a battle, they were both pretty ridiculous about it on both extremes.
The end product wound up somewhere in the middle, a lot closer to Trick's way of seeing things, though.

Tricky spent more time posting Oprah GIFs than actually generating any text about the game outside of generic hype and Derrick was the bitter, vehemently disagreeable sourpuss he always was.

Sequel to that battle is not something I'm looking forward to at all.

I'm constantly shocked by how well Hitman absolution sold. I have no idea how they pulled that off.

I really hope they take a hard look at what made blood money so good for the next game. I'm half way through Absolution right now and...it's missing a lot. It's not bad but most of the changes aren't very good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sleeping Dogs 2 in Shanghai on next gen needs to happen.

I'm currently playing Tomb Raider and I'm impressed so far. Game is way better than I expected.

Hitman Absolution was awful though, they should save the money for that one.

No one else notice the last paragraph?

It is important to consider how to change business models in light of rigidity from the prospective of price, and I believe that the transformation to online titles and the diversification of profit opportunities is key.

Perhaps pubs are planning to move to digital only titles during the course of the next gen, which kinda puts the used games confusion / EA dropping its online pass into perspective.

Sblargh

Banned
Sleeping Dogs DLC has become such a guilty pleasure that I don't even mind if they abuse the concept for the next interation.

Just feed me more crazy scenarios where my favorite cop wastes 3 hours in another wacky adventure, squeenix.

I'll eat them all!

Faithless

Was surprised to enjoy Tomb Raider and am halfway through them Sleepy Dogs. Dogs is a real grower; you don't think you're gonna dig it, and then suddenly you really do. Story is great.

Replicant

Next time consider controlling the budget instead of blowing it up and then expecting the consumers to foot the bill or canceling future iterations.

Daingurse

Was surprised to enjoy Tomb Raider and am halfway through them Sleepy Dogs. Dogs is a real grower; you don't think you're gonna dig it, and then suddenly you really do. Story is great.

Sleeping Dogs is probably my favorite open-world game of the gen. Traditionally I lose interest in these games and tend to go on endless rampages. But something about Sleeping Dogs was simply more compelling. Of course I did go on rampages but I finished the story. Can't quite put my finger on it, but man I really enjoyed the game. Just so much fun being a Sun On Yee goon.

deim0s

Sleeping Dogs 2 go! Most enjoyable open-world game I played this gen.

Tomb Raider enjoyed it as well, but not so much.

Hitman forget it.

I'm down for sequels for all three titles.

Would love them all to hit next-gen. I only ask that Hitman have a stronger story, and Tomb Raider have a stronger climax. In terms of narrative.

But yeah, would love it!

nemesun

Give me Sleeping Dogs 2 and I'll be there day 1, just like I was with the first game. I'm a massive Yakuza fan and this game tickled all the right areas.

Pachinko

So they had return on investment but they knew the non-western half of the company shit the bed so bad on profitability that they had to sell twice as much to compensate ? That's what I got out of reading this.

Also, a big one- profits on retail games are no longer reliable. That note essentially says even good games that sell well do not continue to do so unless massive price drops occur and those same price drops destroy profits after a short period of time.

In the future , I expect less reliance on retail releases and more DLC or straight up digital copies of their games.

Daingurse

SERIOUSLY.

...and please think reasonably about the necessity of multiplayer components in the next installment of any of these games.

Yes, please don't waste money on shit people didn't even ask for. I enjoyed the hell outta Tomb Raider and never at any point gave any fucks about multiplayer.

sleepykyo

I'm game for more Tomb Raider. Never has a game done a better job of being a low brow, horror film.

I actually just finished Sleeping Dogs (100%! Yay!) and wrote my thoughts down about it in a PM but here's as good as anywhere to post them and maybe get a discussion going:

I'm not sure triad actually means three gangs rather than the English term for Chinese organized crime. Wiki has it written as 3 Harmonies Society.

Top Bottom