• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix unsure how Dragon Quest XI will do due to Japanese console market

Ray Down

Banned
How about doing simultaneous release in the West ala FFXV? Surely that would help the hype for the game. But no, we will have to wait till sometimes in 2018 when all the excitement will die down.

It's clear that wasn't a priority to the team, going forward I'm sure it will be.

shingi70

Banned
It really seems like the PS4 version primarily exists as a potential push in the west and to celebrate the anniversary with something really big budget.

I do wonder how it prefroms in the west if it comes over.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is presumably a translation issue with how Japan talks about consoles.

They mean they're concerned about the state of dedicated gaming devices in Japan.

If you combine the PS4 and 3DS LTd it's not that far off the DS when 9 launched, though the 3DS is well past it's prime in terms of selling software which is essentially the weak link..

It really seems like the PS4 version primarily exists as a potential push in the west and to celebrate the anniversary with something really big budget.

I do wonder how it prefroms in the west if it comes over.

Which is funny because at the moment it apparently has more pre orders than the 3ds version in japan

Vena

Purely from a financial perspective, I don't really understand why the PS4 (and presumably Switch) version exists. It's assuredly far more expensive to make and will almost certainly sell worse than the 3DS version, and it seems unlikely that the franchise will explode overseas relative to previous entries.

A hypothetical non-AAA PS4/Switch version that was just a spruced-up version of the 3DS game would have made more sense.

They expected more from the PS4 in the domestic market. They threw a lot of software at it trying to resuscitate it in the early days and for a while it bounced back but its now falling back to sub-PS3 numbers.

There's also an expectation, now, for abroad success.

Alrus

This game's strength will be double and triple dippers.

I think the fact that the 3DS and PS4 versions are releasing at the same time will greatly limit double dipping potential in Japan at least.

IMO they should have worked on releasing the 3DS version as quickly as possible then put out the PS4 version later when it's done.

I wonder what their expectations are though, the highest selling DQ in Japan is at 4,4M sold, and that was on the DS at its peak.

A Million+ should be easy with decent marketing.

Just on Steam? Absolutely not.

Kouriozan

Which is funny because at the moment it apparently has more pre orders than the 3ds version in japan

It's going to be the second PS4 million sellers in Japan.

EDIT : wait, did FF XV surpass 1M? Looks like it almost did it then disappeared in the ranking so I guess not.
Dragon Quest XI shall be the first PS4 million seller then.

Kyoufu

It seems like you answered your own question? They can't sell a 3DS game internationally and hope for good sales at this point, but a PS4 version has the potential to do well.

There are other parts of the puzzle. People have been asking for a new DQ8-style DQ for a long time, Horii wanted to make one, and this might be the last time when a home console is actually a viable target in Japan for Dragon Quest.

?

Are you joking?

I was poking fun of a couple of previous posts. :p

I think they've got their bases covered with 3DS, PS4 and Switch. The game should do very well for them.

Vena

It's going to be the second PS4 million sellers in Japan.

EDIT : wait, did FF XV surpass 1M? Looks like it almost did it then disappeared in the ranking so I guess not.
Dragon Quest XI shall be the first PS4 million seller then.

It will craw its way to a million, yes, if its not already there. For all intents and purposes, FFXV is likely a million by now but hard to suss out its exact figure.

They expected more from the PS4 in the domestic market. They threw a lot of software at it trying to resuscitate it in the early days and for a while it bounced back but its now falling back to sub-PS3 numbers.

There's also an expectation, now, for abroad success.

It's the classic example of jamming a square peh in a round hole. Market was not hype about the system, it shows. That said as SE transitions to trying to be more global their hands are tied with supporting Sony xonsoles full force.

Aeana

I wonder where all of these people who will totally buy DQ11 in the west are in the threads that are actually about the game and not its platforms/sales potential.

StereoVsn

It's clear that wasn't a priority to the team, going forward I'm sure it will be.
Then they can't bitch about sales. It's insane not to think about international release of a PS4 game with the current Japanese market. FFXV, Nier, Persona showed that there is demand and the latter probably left money on the table with their late release shenanigans.

It will craw its way to a million, yes, if its not already there. For all intents and purposes, FFXV is likely a million by now but hard to suss out its exact figure.
It certainly is above that with digital included.

Philippo

PS4 version will do fine in the West (assuming the marketing campaign behind it is solid) and average in Japan.

3DS version will do fine in Japan and average in the West.

Switch version will do fine in the West and huge numbers in Japan.

Kyoufu

I wonder where all of these people who will totally buy DQ11 in the west are in the threads that are actually about the game and not its platforms/sales potential.

I still think announcing a localisation would increase discussion here from those who are interested in purchasing the game in the west.

StereoVsn

Considering that most info is in Japanese, is there much for people to talk about? I think once full blown previews show up it will be more interesting but I don't even know if SE will preview for Western outlets.

FFXV sales were driven by Hype and also excellent marketing in the West. Considering usual SE DQ efforts that will not happen with 11.

Alrus

I believe the PS4 version of DQXI will barely scratch the surface of a million worldwide.

I think it will do better than that in Japan alone. Worldwide it depends, the PS4 audience seems pretty receptive to high production value rpgs so it might do quite decently as well.

Exentryk

You're a crazy person if you think a Dragon Quest game would sell over a million units via PC.

I know DQ Heroes and II has done really poor sales wise, but seeing it from a perspective of a AAA JRPG (NieR is 300k+, FFXHD is 300K+), I feel it has the potential for it. It would need to be day and date release though, and would need decent marketing. But anyway, this is irrelevant as the game isn't being made for Steam.

I'm looking forward to seeing what NNK2 does on Steam. Hoping for around 500K there.

watershed

Banned
Releasing the game on 3 platforms will help. Releasing it overseas will help even more. I wonder how much it has cost to make?

inner-G

Banned
What's there to talk about? It's Dragon quest.

I just hope they don't stray too far from the classic gameplay. Plus we don't even know if it's going to come out here, and if it does, it'll probably be a year later than Japan so we'll already know everything that happens in it.

StereoVsn

I think it will do better than that in Japan alone. Worldwide it depends, the PS4 audience seems pretty receptive to high production value rpgs so it might do quite decently as well.
If it's marketed decently enough it should easily do 1mil world wide. This is a high profile, high production RPG. It's not some Neptunia schlock. The key is to let people know it exists though and SE dropped the ball with that through every single DQ release except IX ... which was marketed by Nintendo.

I also think Steam release could do a few hundred K as well which helps. Considering that the game is on UE4 the port couldn't be that expensive.

Bolivar687

Banned
They definitely waited too long for the 3DS version to adequately hedge their bet on PS4.

Given the nominal marketing of PS4 DQ spinoffs over the last two years, I don't see them recouping their costs overseas, either. These games should be paving the way leading up to a main installment but it seems like neither Square nor Sony are willing to commit.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad the series has finally been set free from the albatross of Nintendo exclusivity. I'm still playing Builders and look forward to tearing into DQH2 soon.

Some Nobody

If it releases this year on Switch I dont see any other JRPG for the japanese to buy.

Now that I think about it, I dont think there is other JRPG on PS4 for the second half of the year either.

Don't disrespect Cold Steel 3 like that fam. DQXI is for sure going to crush it sales wise, but damn. :(

Awaiting release dates for the West?

Fraxin

Considering that most info is in Japanese, is there much for people to talk about? I think once full blown previews show up it will be more interesting but I don't even know if SE will preview for Western outlets.

FFXV sales were driven by Hype and also excellent marketing in the West. Considering usual SE DQ efforts that will not happen with 11.

They could announce the localization at E3.

Smart move would be to include FFVII Remake demo with the release of the game in the west.

Aeana

What's there to talk about? It's Dragon quest.

I just hope they don't stray too far from the classic gameplay. Plus we don't even know if it's going to come out here, and if it does, it'll probably be a year later than Japan so we'll already know everything that happens in it.

Apparently you don't know anything about it, so it seems there's plenty to talk about. Let's start with the game and its features? What's there to talk about with any game? There has been a steady stream of news about the game on a weekly basis for months now, and the threads about them are lucky to break 20 posts each.

We'd get a 100 page thread when Noctis got new shoelaces, but "what's there to talk about?" wrt DQ11, a game that has more features and systems than any prior offline DQ game by far.

StereoVsn

Don't disrespect Cold Steel 3 like that fam. DQXI is for sure going to crush it sales wise, but damn. :(

Awaiting release dates for the West?
Cold Steel 3 is not going to be released this year in the West. Of course neither will DQXI.

We have Ni No Kuni, Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, and a long shot of Xenoblade 2 to look forward to this year. However there is also Divinity: OS 2 coming in September on PCs and that will be excellent.

Apparently you don't know anything about it, so it seems there's plenty to talk about. Let's start with the game and its features? What's there to talk about with any game? There has been a steady stream of news about the game on a weekly basis for months now, and the threads about them are lucky to break 20 posts each.

Speaking personally I don't know anything about DQ11 and I'm not interested in buying it, so I would have little to no reason to post in a thread about the game itself. A thread about Square-Enix's marketing ideologies and sales figures is however something I'm interested in. I imagine a lot of people feel the same.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it does. 3DS is past its prime for moving software, PS4 was never that great at moving software to begin with. Overall though, I think the game should do just fine since it's releasing on 3 platforms.

Shahed

Well I was in pretty much zero threads about the likes of Nier, Persona 5, Zelda and more and I still bought them. Once I'm know I'm going to play a game, I rarely discuss it until I'm actually playing or have played said game. It doesn't help that DQXI has little to nothing anounced for the West or have media in English

Aeana

Speaking personally I don't know anything about DQ11 and I'm not interested in buying it, so I would have little to no reason to post in a thread about the game itself. A thread about Square-Enix's marketing ideologies and sales figures is however something I'm interested in. I imagine a lot of people feel the same.

And that was my entire point.

StereoVsn

We'd get a 100 page thread when Noctis got new shoelaces, but "what's there to talk about?" wrt DQ11, a game that has more features and systems than any prior offline DQ game by far.
Hmm... that's a very good point, I concede. I think part of the issue is that the news come only from Japanese outlets so pretty much Simiconera/Gematsu and maybe Kotaku in the West while everyone and their brother released the shoelaces videos :).

Which goes back to the whole issue of SE not marketing he game worth a damn in the West.

And that was my entire point.
The issue is that it's 11th game in the series (not counting remakes/ports/spinoffs) that was last released in the West almost a decade ago on DS.

Vast majority of folks on GAF will not be familiar with the series. That's why going into various small news threads is a bit much for people. I guess if there was a summary thread of some sort or a major preview thread it would be a different matter.

Some Nobody

I'm absolutely fascinated by all the shit that's been jam-packed into DQXI, but I'm not a person who comments on everything like that. Once the game has a release date and I've seen "enough" , I basically become satisfied until it comes out so I can buy it.

I'll admit that's not the norm, tho.

Cold Steel 3 is not going to be released this year in the West. Of course neither will DQXI.

We have Ni No Kuni, Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, and a long shot of Xenoblade 2 to look forward to this year. However there is also Divinity: OS 2 coming in September on PCs and that will be excellent.

We're in a thread about Japanese games. Are we not talking about their release in Japan? Also I love that you think of that list it's Xenoblade 2 that's the Longshot. (Psst. NNK2 ain't coming out this year.)

inner-G

Banned

Well, that escalated quickly. I wonder why no one wants to spend much time in such discussions...

We don't even know if we'll get the game. How can you blame people for not getting excited about something they may not even get?

VII and VIII on 3DS came out so late here that my hype was basically gone. Even if they weren't as good as the console versions, I was still excited for them when they were announced. Years later, the device seemed lackluster and it seemed like almost a disservice to the games to play them in 200p or whatever. They should have re-done the PS2 version of VIII for a console. Maybe then the western market would be excited.

S-E has no one but themselves to blame for the lack of excitement around DQ in the west. It's too little, too late almost every single time for fans here. We're not a priority for them and they make sure we know it.

The last game in the series was an MMO so I think people have the right to be concerned about the direction S-E is taking DQ. Especially so after the "games as a service" directive and slew of mobile announcements. That's not what I want from the series and I have no qualms with spending my money elsewhere.

Well to be fair, it's about sales in domestic country.
Also, I'd feel like discussions would be further going on once the game is announced for West. While I follow the news around it, I don't necessarily participate the threads about it, because as of right now, it's mainly a japan only title.

EDarkness

PS4 version will do fine in the West (assuming the marketing campaign behind it is solid) and average in Japan.

3DS version will do fine in Japan and average in the West.

Switch version will do fine in the West and huge numbers in Japan.

I doubt the NS version will do all that well. The game will be out and playable on two separate platforms before it's released. Unless they do something amazing with that version, i think it's gonna be DOA. Maybe it'll do okay in the West, but I feel like Japan is a loss for that version.

I do think the 3DS version will be tops in Japan, though. And the PS4 version will do fairly well in Japan as well. I think it should get over a million. It's Dragon Quest so I don't think the game will sell terrible over there. Maybe they won't hit that 3 or 4 million, but it'll sell fine. How it does in the West is anyone's guess.

Ferr986

I'm 100% gonna buy this game when it releases but yeah, right now I'm not even looking at it much, considering I don't even know if it's going to be released.

I mean, It will surely come, but when, a year after japanese release? I'll rather ignore the game for now and start to get info (and hype) when I know for certain when I'll get it. It sucks to follow a japanese only game without knowing when (if ever) you're going to get it. The long wait for Builders already killed a lot of my hype (still got it and enjoyed it though).

Nobody's really refuting Aeanas point. Ppl rush to a sales thread topic for the game. Yet new features and livestream threads barely make it to two pages
I've seen nicher games with no release date for west get more

Top Bottom