• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix unsure how Dragon Quest XI will do due to Japanese console market

KtSlime

The advertising for the game in Japan is out of this world. Saw ist everywhere so I think it will sell okay, but games are not that big anymore in Japan so it wont sell gangbusters like back then.

Certainly the way they play games has changed, but to say that a country where most people play games on their smartphone, where there are 1-2 pachislot parlors in every town, and a quarter of their primetime TV is trivia-quiz shows as not as into games as they once were is strange.

If it doesn't sell as well as it did in the past, it won't be because Japan is not as into games, but because it is on the wrong platforms.

Amalthea

Banned
It's funny how the DQ peoducers can deliver their products on time and the suits get nervous while the KH/FF ones dick around for years and still recieve more confidence from SE.

Actually it pisses me off.

gtj1092

You got a date? Because I most definitely will have 60-70 hour work weeks when I actually expect this game to come out, as opposed to it's Japanese release date. Along with the 7 and 8 remaster plans, why would any Western fan be optimistic?

Because the previous ps4 DQ games were localized in a timely manner and also brought to steam. It won't be day and date but I expect it this fiscal year.

Fdkn

"Horii is in charge and really wants to make an AAA console DQ" isn't a business argument, though.

Creative desires don't always answer to business arguments.

Looking at the ps4 version videos already released, the game does not seems to be that big budget at all to begin with. It's big by Japanese standards, but that's not saying that much.

Fiendcode

DQVIII and IX already had comparable sales to Ni No Kuni in the west.
They did slightly better actually. Ni No Kuni PS3 only did 1.1m globally with likely at least 200k of that coming from Japan/Asia. In the west DQVIII PS2 and DQIX DS both did somewhere over 1m each.

Looking at sales I'm not sure if DQXI PS4 only doing around the same in the west would really be seen as progress. It'd just be maintaining the status quo, while collapsing on the Japan side relative to previous installments (which is why the 3DS port happened).

JayEH

It's funny how the DQ peoducers can deliver their products on time and the suits get nervous while the KH/FF ones dick around for years and still recieve more confidence from SE.

Actually it pisses me off.

?

FF's contuined existence depended on XV and they had really low expectations going in.

Top Bottom