• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's New Plan: Spend way less money, work on smartphones, dev regional games

Jinko

Sounds like good news to me. Don't rebuild the wheel, and instead build on top of other mature technologies such as Cry3, Unity4 and Unreal4. I'm looking forward to an SE that is capable of actually releasing games in a timely manner.

FFXIV has proven they are capable of quick (re)development, its a shame they spent so much effort on Luminous I hope that doesn't go to waste cause it was looking pretty decent.

If this means we will get more original SNES style SE games on Android and iOS I am actually fine with that. I liked Final Fantasy Dimensions far more than any other console SE game since FF12. Nothing wrong with focusing on smaller shorter 2D RPGs for a few years, as long as they are truly original games and not more remakes.

Wasn't Dimensions episodic when it first came out though and really expensive ?, plus there is two sides to this coin, All the Bravest for example.

capture2f7url.png

This chart is so telling. Dedicated game consoles will always occupy a tiny niche of the relative market. Maybe that works well for your business plan. Likely it doesn't. Not with so many other options avaiable.

Jinko

This chart is so telling. Dedicated game consoles will always occupy a tiny niche of the relative market. Maybe that works well for your business plan. Likely it doesn't. Not with so many other options avaiable.

How so ? 3 of those bars are forecasts, for all we know the mobile space could crash at some point.

luca1980

Banned
What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.
Half of the fans hating Wada for the focus only on ff first (ok no more gears, ok no more chrono, ok no more main jrpg aside ff) and than on milking on it without releasing mainline new chapters as fast as before and putting out only team 1 titles with few exceptions (ff12) So basically everyone not happy with x-2, fabula nova, ff7 compilation, advent children. May I continue? Lol.

Ok end of old fan rant. Basically they focused to much on ff and on sub franchise of it without making new ff mainline. So really it was expected from a while

Yeah, but it's rather a stacked projection. In theory, every last cellphone or tablet buyer is a customer, but in reality, i'd wager many have no interest in games. For many, it's a work/home phone, laptop replacement, ereader, etc.

It's like PC's. In theory, the game market should be billions of users, but outside some flash and facebook games, no one comes close to that. SE could shift to making farmville/angry birds style stuff, but it doesn't pull in the same profits for most companies that their traditional games would.

Jinko

Yeah, but it's rather a stacked projection. In theory, every last cellphone or tablet buyer is a customer, but in reality, i'd wager many have no interest in games. For many, it's a work/home phone, laptop replacement, ereader, etc.

Exactly, I would be willing to bet that 70% of the mobile marletplace won;t even consider spending money on apps/games most of the time.

Scum

So, Nintendo and Sony are the best things' to happen to SE as of now. One is publishing and the other is supposedly helping with development.
This E3 will mark 7 years, 7 fucking years(!), since the announcement of FFvsXIII.

Exactly, I would be willing to bet that 70% of the mobile marletplace won;t even consider spending money on apps/games most of the time.

Did you know that 83% of statistics are made up on the spot :].

Anyways, I concur. It's much like the PC space where, yes you can play games, most use it for work/daily life. Not as an entertainment device.

Are the statistics true. Maybe. They are probably skewed to make it look better then it actually is. Mobile games are hear to stay but for established game publishers to try and buy their way into the mobile bubble will find themselves unsuccessful.

There are mobile publishers and then there's video game publishers. Which one does Square Enix want to be. You can't have it all.

LuuKyK

Ugh, posted in the wrong thread before... But anyway:

Square if you dont sort everything out and keep having problems, just cut costs overall and keep the focus on doing final fantasies and kingdom hearts, yearly outputs from ff alone from different teams inside the company would be a start. Im sure no one will complain about the abscence of shit tier franchises like tomb raider and hitman. Simple.

And cut the reducionist view over yourself. You are the biggest third party developer of Japan and one of the biggest in the world. AND hold the biggest and best IP of all the japanese franchises. You will do just fine ffs...

Soriku

Where does it say that they're nuking Luminous?

They're not, but they're focusing less on tech and more on sales/marketing. So I guess people really wanting SE to push the envelope next gen will be disappointed.

Not that the games still won't look good though...

DJIzana

I... I am EXTREMELY less likely to buy a PS4 now. Square Enix was a major player in consoles. Obviously it all went downhill since FFXIV 1.0 and XIII but I'm hoping other Japanese companies don't follow their decision. At least... I hope Sega doesn't.

Snakeyes

I... I am EXTREMELY less likely to buy a PS4 now. Square Enix was a major player in consoles. Obviously it all went downhill since FFXIV 1.0 and XIII but I'm hoping other Japanese companies don't follow their decision. At least... I hope Sega doesn't.

Capcpom got yo back.

Snakeyes

They're not, but they're focusing less on tech and more on sales/marketing. So I guess people really wanting SE to push the envelope next gen will be disappointed.

Not that the games still won't look good though...
I'm sure they'll still push graphics for their biggest titles... It just makes no sense to develop an engine from scratch to barely use its potential afterwards.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Half of the fans hating Wada for the focus only on ff first (ok no more gears, ok no more chrono, ok no more main jrpg aside ff) and than on milking on it without releasing mainline new chapters as fast as before and putting out only team 1 titles with few exceptions (ff12) So basically everyone not happy with x-2, fabula nova, ff7 compilation, advent children. May I continue? Lol.

Ok end of old fan rant. Basically they focused to much on ff and on sub franchise of it without making new ff mainline. So really it was expected from a while

I would add that they played it too safe and didn't really explore newer ideas either.

I would add that they played it too safe and didn't really explore newer ideas either.

SE also like so many Japanese companies going into next gen with out any new IPs on consoles while destroying there old ones .
They to big to be putting so much into smart phone but also to small to bring out HD games on time .
Going to be interesting to see what going to happen to them next gen but i don''t think this plan going to work unless they can bring 3 to 4 big games every year .

EinSof

I don't like the sound of "target smart devices". Like, at all. That market alone won't be able to sustain a company of the size of Square-Enix but it seems they're betting farm on it.

Its a bigger market than console gaming and has way more potential for growth and profits than the console market. All of Square's Smartphone games do extremely well, especially in Asia. Gree and League of Legends has proven that. Console gaming is a relic of the past. Its nice for a couple of games here and there, but the investment is too high and the outcome is too volatile.

Smarter for them to run to low-cost, high-yield investments like smartphone games. Everyone is doing it because it makes more sense. Smartphone hasn't even come close to market saturation yet, but consoles have.

Eusis

What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.
Well, I figured they were on a slide in relevance for myself (I had been a blind "16-bit Squaresoft is best Squaresoft!" during the 32-bit generation, and during the PS2 days I just lamented how they had fewer new IPs), the big question was how it'd happen. I almost expect "self destructing" to be the ultimate end point, where they just sell off their game publishing and what remains is a manga publisher and figurine company. :/

Teknoman

Its a bigger market than console gaming and has way more potential for growth and profits than the console market. All of Square's Smartphone games do extremely well, especially in Asia. Gree and League of Legends has proven that. Console gaming is a relic of the past. Its nice for a couple of games here and there, but the investment is too high and the outcome is too volatile.

Smarter for them to run to low-cost, high-yield investments like smartphone games. Everyone is doing it because it makes more sense. Smartphone hasn't even come close to market saturation yet, but consoles have.

A relic of the past is a little much dont you think? It just seems like they need to have a little more focus instead of spreading dev teams. A couple projects in the works at a time makes sense, but that doesnt mean they need to be a majority mobile dev. This gen they just stretched themselves too thin along with too many side projects and misdirection on XIV 1.0.

New properties would have most likely worked wonders for them too... as long as they didnt pull a Capcom and completely wreck new properties they introduced (Lost Planet).

Trogdor1123

jesus... sad to see a company move over to creating crap and embracing it rather than trying to actually fix what was wrong with what they were doing...

Teknoman

What gets me is (as previously stated by others), they are more than capable of fixing and creating a beautiful game that plays well (FFXIV transformation into a realm reborn).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What gets me is (as previously stated by others), they are more than capable of fixing and creating a beautiful game that plays well (FFXIV transformation into a realm reborn).

I think the fear is more that they might not sell enough to justify what they spend doing that.

Like Tomb Raider reviewed well, but didn't hit their astronomical targets.

Will FFXIV, what is almost assuredly their most expensive game by far, reach what they want it to? It's not overly likely given the state of the MMO market.

They also want to increase margin (their profit:investment ratio), which is currently pretty bad judging by the diagram with the circles in the OP. Investing in expensive games that don't sell a ton, even if they break even or make a small profit, are very damaging to their margins.

This is the same reason you see companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft doubling down on a very small number of titles even if they could make more titles that were profitable, but less profitable than their main ones.

It'll be interesting to see how accurate your prediction is, whether these markets will grow tired of the mobile game offerings and how or if SE will be able to profit from it. I personally think it's a bubble just waiting to burst.

Is the reaosn why the 2010 year has such a large income form HD gaming because of FF 13.?

If so their forecast cold indicate they don't have a final fantasy coming this year, so next FF fall 2014 maybe?

luca1980

Banned
Yes these things also.
And IMHO it is really astonishing just to think on their many franchise they forgot.
I mean one can think about Altus with persona 3&4 remakes. Than one think about gears, chrono cross, ff7-8-9, vagrat story and not even a decent remake on a vita or hd remaster. Only ffx and ffx-2 which are recent are remade ad with what an effort and long wait. Astonishing.
It's really amazing given the poor track record of many things that we were given tactics ogre remake meanwhile. Really a godsend and with Matsuno. Incredible.

Mandoric

Banned
Agreed, I feel this is one of the biggest problem in the gaming industry right now, that and overblown budgets, its not just SE it applies to either.

Maybe SE should consider lowering their HD production values, other JRPG companies do just fine targeting much lower.

Other JRPG companies also sell, charitably, a tenth as many copies.

Didn't sega last year say they will be focusing on digital/mobile titles going forward?

Banned
Here's my new plan for square Enix.

Release Lightning returns and then let FFXIII die.
Remake all FF's in HD.
Release Versus.

Make money. Live off of nostalgia. Print money n

Lol.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
they should stop making shit games then

They have 3 excellent games which they released over the past 2 years (Bravely Default, Type 0 and DQ7 remix)... none of which are currently in America. And that's the problem. The "regional game development" scares me the most, as someone who doesn't particularly care for Eidos and is wanting some more quality Japanese developed games to reach our shores.

Top Bottom