• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Demo: Feburary 21; (Euro PSN) February 22 [Up On Xbox Live/PSN]

Par for course. Welcome to Grace Chen's world.

Sony needs to fire her. What a joke. Xbox had their demo up this morning. There was a guy on Somethingawful who went out and bought a 360 just so he can play the SSX demo early because he can't stand waiting for PSN to update.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sony needs to fire her. What a joke. Xbox had their demo up this morning. There was a guy on Somethingawful who went out and bought a 360 just so he can play the SSX demo early because he can't stand waiting for PSN to update.

360 always updates at the same time, PSN never does, and even the "usual" time is a good 12 hours after 360. It's really annoying.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Are you guys all using the 'sticks' controller setting?

I don't know if you know this, but really you are choosing between classic and standard. You can either use the right stick or the buttons for Ubers.

Personally, I started using buttons but now I've switched to sticks and I'm trying to learn that. I still really suck at this game. I can barely get a silver in Bulldog.

Sony needs to fire that guy. What a joke. Xbox had their demo up this morning. There was a guy on Somethingawful who went out and bought a 360 just so he can play the SSX demo early because he can't stand waiting for PSN to update.

Wow, that's insane! Spending at least $200 on a console to play a demo 12 hours early?

I don't know if you know this, but really you are choosing between classic and standard. You can either use the right stick or the buttons for Ubers.

Personally, I started using buttons but now I've switched to sticks and I'm trying to learn that. I still really suck at this game. I can barely get a silver in Bulldog.

I know i know. I tried using the classic since I played so much Tricky and SSX3, but I think I'm gonna start using the sticks. I'm in the same boat as you, I barely get silver each time.

MercuryLS

Banned
Classic doesn't work for me with this game for some reason. The regular controls + buttons works really well, using analogues for tricks is a bit hit or miss for me.

I know i know. I tried using the classic since I played so much Tricky and SSX3, but I think I'm gonna start using the sticks. I'm in the same boat as you, I barely get silver each time.

Trick off EVERYTHING, not just the kickers. And I literally mean everything. Just keep busting out huge tricks and don't stop.

Classic doesn't work for me with this game for some reason. The regular controls + buttons works really well, using analogues for tricks is a bit hit or miss for me.

My problem with the stick for tricks is that when I throw the stick in one direction I almost always move the left stick a little bit in that direction as well, which ends up fucking up my angle or spin or both. But thankfully I don't have that problem with the buttons.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Sticks are pretty nice when you get used to them. I'm waiting for the PS3 demo to drop so I can try classic controls with a DS.

Just shaved 7 seconds off my run time from 2:05 to 1:58.

That's ridiculous. What's your highest Trick It score so far?

20,6M only.

I'll try to record a race it run, it won't be my new best time though.

img20120222013011.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
Trick off EVERYTHING, not just the kickers. And I literally mean everything. Just keep busting out huge tricks and don't stop.

Yeah that's the trick, the nice thing with SSX is just about everything is trackable and any sharp edge is grind able. There's a ton of room for tricks.

I found that doing tricks into grinds into tricks into grinds....is one of the best ways to get an insane score. If you can keep that multiplyer going, you're going to rack up insane points.

People like you are the reason I am happy RiderNet has a "hide this guy because he is WAAAAAY too good" feature.

More like "hide this guy because he has no life therefore we aren't competing on the same grounds" :p Major props to the second place on that video though, he's been keeping up all day. And he'll beat me again surely.

MercuryLS

Banned
My problem with the stick for tricks is that when I throw the stick in one direction I almost always move the left stick a little bit in that direction as well, which ends up fucking up my angle or spin or both. But thankfully I don't have that problem with the buttons.

Yeah, that's a problem for me too. buttons just have a nice feedback to them for tricks, just feels weird doing it with sticks.

LaneDS

Since PSN is taking it's sweet time, do you long time SSX fans find the 360 demo satisfactory after spending most of the day with it? Can't wait to get started here despite being exhausted.

More like "hide this guy because he has no life therefore we aren't competing on the same grounds" :p Major props to the second place on that video though, he's been keeping up all day. And he'll beat me again surely.

You may have a ton of experience with prior SSX games, but this one is a good deal different and the fact that you are this good at it already scares me.

MercuryLS

Banned
Since PSN is taking it's sweet time, do you long time SSX fans find the 360 demo satisfactory after spending most of the day with it? Can't wait to get started here despite being exhausted.

2 characters, two mountains (1 race 1 trick event). It's a great demo, the framerate is solid (for the most part), the gameplay is really fun. I've been playing the XBL demo for most of the day and I'm still addicted like crazy, besting you best times/score (and you friends time/score) is a blast.

I bet Microsoft has a whole team of people working on this stuff for XBL. They get their shit up on time. You Gold Membership dollars at work.

Holy shit Connor (the developer) just beat my 1:53 without even sweating. UNFAIR

@StrikeObi: I must suck because Connor just beat me and he tried for 5 minutes only :(

JaseMath

Wait just a minute… I went to work AND the gym and the demo still isn't up?!

Edit: I guess you get what you pay for.

Yes, and it's literally just 2 of the 153 events in the full game.

Has Sony ever commented on why this takes so goddamn long? Don't they, like, prep this stuff ahead of time? There is seriously zero reason for this, it's absurd. It's like walking into Best Buy to grab a new BD on Tuesday and they go "sorry man we've got them in the back but we're not going to put them on shelves until some random time tonight."

KuroNeeko

Jesus Christ at some of those times!

I busted my ass last night for about an hour and went to bed happy with a 2:18(?) time. :p

Just a few impressions of the demo on the 360 -

1) Switched to Classic controls and found my muscle memory surprisingly intact. I haven't played SSX since SSX3 which I last dusted off about 2 years ago. It's going to take some time to stop trying to grab onto the rails, though.

2) The controls are a bit wonky. Either the d-pad on the 360 controller sucks OR I'm just not used to the sensitivity. Seems like the difference between a gentle turn and hard flare off to the side is really small. Am looking forward to trying it on the PS3 later today. On the other hand, the shoulder buttons worked better than I thought.

3) The rails feel just a little TOO sticky. I understand the decisions behind it, but I'm just not into it as much.

4) What the heck happened to Zoe as a character? I thought she was a lot more bad ass, angry punk grrlish. This Zoe sounded like an Elise.

5) I didn't notice any FPS drops other than the initial load in the tutorial. Restarting between races and accidental rewind pushes was fairly quick and painless. The overall quality in graphics is not as good as the trailers led us to believe, BUT to be honest once I started racing, I quickly forgot about it.

6) Again, I'm not crazy about the ghosts in game. I liked going off and looking for my own lines, but in this SSX it seems like there is very little incentive. The gold times are pretty good and the line they show you is decent starting point for you to carve your personal best. After that it seems like it's all about gaining boost, avoiding wipes, and making small adjustments to each run. Then again, I'm about 25 seconds behind the leading GAF time so what do I know.

Overall, seems like there is a lot to like, but a few things I'm not crazy about. I don't like the lack of rail grabs. I'm not crazy about the (apparent) lack of visual customization for character costumes (outside of palette swaps.) I'm still on the fence about ghosts. Sticky rails are kind of meh. The good includes a largely intact SSX experience, a better sense of competition through the riderwall, and a nice soundtrack.

Will still be picking this up on day 1, provided I don't get carpal tunnel from gripping the controller too hard.

I really really hope there's more than a few runs in the final game that are just jumps and a lot of snow. The tracks in the demo are really busy. I hate the bottom of the hill that you race on in the demo. It's a mess, and the trick track isn't much better. I just want some clean runs in the final to go along with the over-the-top stuff.

I really really hope there's more than a few runs in the final game that are just jumps and a lot of snow. The tracks in the demo are really busy. I hate the bottom of the hill that you race on in the demo. It's a mess, and the trick track isn't much better. I just want some clean runs in the final to go along with the over-the-top stuff.

The tutorial track is pretty clean and is a drop in the game I believe, for example...

I still prefer the GameCube controller. But I have no idea wtf Classic is supposed to be. Whoever decided it was a good idea to put rewind on B needs to go learn UI design.

Classic is loosely based on the ps2 control scheme of the original ssx

I love that song in the demo. The soundtrack is so good for this game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't really get either control scheme. Pulled 10 million and 2:14 on my second runs but it still hasn't clicked these way 3 did. I need half pipes to practice and learn in.

I am going to pass on this one, or at least wait till it drops in price. I don't know, didn't really feel like SSX to me personally. With SSX 3 being my favorite, I was really let down by the demo. I feel like SSX 3 still has better animations when it comes to the way the characters move on the snow, having the body sway more in powder and having the board and legs shake when making those tight carves, especially on ice. Maybe people who actually snowboard will know what I am talking about. I know it isn't meant to be realistic, but neither was SSX 3.

Lastly, the characters seem to be a little dulled down in personality compared to past games and I feel are just not really interesting to me. Also, the lack of character customization and the DJ from the EA Big games is a disappointment. Damn, I was really looking forward to this game too.

iFootball

Geeeezz Sony!...

... funny though.. at least 10 of my GAF-SSX PSN contacts are currently online, not playing any game, just like me waiting for the demo to drop in PSN =D...

the wait is killing us!

Top Bottom