• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

EYEL1NER

Fuck, they need to hurry up! They got me super-excited about the news of DLC.
Now I am checking twitter, here, and GFAQS twice a day looking for news.

Hale-XF11

Yup. Also, the snowboard says Merqury City on it, so maybe we're getting that as DLC? Unless it's just a nod to the community of the same name.

soultron

Banned
Yup. Also, the snowboard says Merqury City on it, so maybe we're getting that as DLC? Unless it's just a nod to the community of the same name.

Yeah, could be more boards coming from those that didn't make it into the game.

I'm not sure if the weather has changed on that run or if it's set for Free Ride. No-HUD Free Ride looks to be the biggest change... but it seems there are a lot of other things.

I can't really remember if it was DragonFly as the chopper and pilot for that range, but regardless, it looks like everything but SFX, rider chatter, and music are turned off for audio. I also think some of the collision volumes might have been removed so you can go over certain areas that were previously barred because they'd ruin race times. New snow flakes, too? I'm also wondering if it's a really powerful wingsuit because I'm not sure I've ever seen a red wingsuit...

Bravo, Team SSX. Bravo.

You're still working hard to add to this game and it blows me away. Team SSX are one of the biggest reasons I'll refute EA is a "terrible company."

Then there's the whole "What?! Tell them I'll call back later!!" Hmm...

gondee

That snowboard was in the game from the beginning, it's by one of our users, Boogie. I don't know if that was just a nod by Batty to us, or if has some deeper meaning. I'm more inclined to just call it the former.

Hale-XF11

Oh cool, I didn't realize that one was created by someone over there. Neat.

Getting more and more stoked for HUD-less the more I think about it. I wonder what other goodies we can look forward to soon.

soultron

Banned
Brought SSX to work with me. Have my XBL profile on a USB stick I formatted as a 360 MU.

Here's hoping this allows me to play! c:

I'm almost tempted to start playing this again after months of not touching it. Mt. Eddie and this new DLC sound pretty appealing, though, then again, maybe if they had just included such great tracks in the game to begin with, I would have liked it a hell of a lot more. Meh.

soultron

Banned
I'm almost tempted to start playing this again after months of not touching it. Mt. Eddie and this new DLC sound pretty appealing, though, then again, maybe if they had just included such great tracks in the game to begin with, I would have liked it a hell of a lot more. Meh.

Do you have Mt. Eddie yet? It's pretty sweet. (Especially if you're one of the folks bothered by the pits -- it's pitless.)

Free Ride on Mt. Eddie will be even sweeter.

EYEL1NER

I've been playing this game and having a blast lately but they have lost me already on this DLC news.
I'm so fed up with this "announcement of a teaser of the website countdown where we will show the trailer that will hint at something new" bullshit we have gotten with this gen.
The game came out quite a while ago and the only people playing still are diehard fans and people who picked it up for $10 on sale. Why keep us in suspense?

soultron

Banned
I've been playing this game and having a blast lately but they have lost me already on this DLC news.
I'm so fed up with this "announcement of a teaser of the website countdown where we will show the trailer that will hint at something new" bullshit we have gotten with this gen.
The game came out quite a while ago and the only people playing still are diehard fans and people who picked it up for $10 on sale. Why keep us in suspense?

They just want you to know that they're working on stuff. They've basically shown what they're working on already in the video.

It's like the devs saying, "Hey guys, we're still here working hard to please you guys. We've not moved off of SSX to another project and left it to die. We're still supporting it and trying to utilize your feedback going forward in the next update!"

vix

puzzle pieces are going out again it seems. one has been posted to twitter and is on merq now.

AygmIokCUAAUinC.jpg:large

http://merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10869

EYEL1NER

They just want you to know that they're working on stuff. They've basically shown what they're working on already in the video.

It's like the devs saying, "Hey guys, we're still here working hard to please you guys. We've not moved off of SSX to another project and left it to die. We're still supporting it and trying to utilize your feedback going forward in the next update!"

I guess I was just a bit irritated when I woke up this morning.
It is great that they are going to support the game a bit more. I certainly didn't see it coming.
I just got a bit frustrated after following that merq thread, this thread, and the SSX twitter since they first hinted that there was new content and we've heard nothing new beyond that free-ride teaser.

vix

You and a lot of other people are frustrated to be honest. I know I am. Stop with the endless trolling and teasing and just reveal it. Makes me wonder if it's going to be something that's worth it due to the endless hype building. I hope I'm wrong.

soultron

Banned
You and a lot of other people are frustrated to be honest. I know I am. Stop with the endless trolling and teasing and just reveal it. Makes me wonder if it's going to be something that's worth it due to the endless hype building. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm lucky enough to be so busy right now that I can't keep up with all the trolling. c:

vix

lol soultron. the trolling has been bad. for me, i just want the info already. i haven't played ssx in a while now, not gonna rant about the reasons, it's not worth it but man, i really want a reason to go back to it already. :/

soultron

Banned
lol soultron. the trolling has been bad. for me, i just want the info already. i haven't played ssx in a while now, not gonna rant about the reasons, it's not worth it but man, i really want a reason to go back to it already. :/

I'd just wait for the official announcement then. It's tough though, I understand, since surfing Merq is part of your job as MOD over there. :c

EYEL1NER

Well I don't think the teasing and trolling has been that bad from them. I think my frustration is coming from the fact that every damn company is doing this shit now.
I guess it's to build hype but it seems to kill hype for a lot of people. I mean look at what the big hyped games are: the same big hyped games that would have been that way regardless.
I'm pretty sure the community around this game doesn't need hype. Just say "Hey, we're working on some cool stuff for you guys. We'll show it off when we are ready. Thanks for hanging on with us," instead of being cryptic as hell.

wow finally booted this up again after months, totally forgot how to play but I still managed to beat friends times on jt2 trick it or whatever, now Im back in the mood to finish events.

Are global events stuff still active?

ubercheez

Just popped this in for the first time since the release timeframe. Was greeted by 1.4mil in ghost earnings, lol.

What the hell happened to all the Global Events? 80% of them just show "Event Pending" now. I guess it's because of the lower player base, but man, it's annoying trying to find an event I like.

B-Dex

Just popped this in for the first time since the release timeframe. Was greeted by 1.4mil in ghost earnings, lol.

What the hell happened to all the Global Events? 80% of them just show "Event Pending" now. I guess it's because of the lower player base, but man, it's annoying trying to find an event I like.

There are event peaks now. So only events on those peaks will happen. Should be on the main menu telling you which ones they are.

soultron

Banned
Sooo...

Traditional MP?

k7Rk7.jpg

Please note that the bottom space in the puzzle piece has been edited with a Merq user's guess at what the phrase is supposed to say.

fEA90.jpg

Possible to set the amount of time you and your friends ride together live?

mxw1x.jpg

Guessing this is the ready up list while you wait in the helicopter.

I love grinding in Double XP events, getting 200k XP per run at a platinum level is awesome.

Also, double platinuming a Double XP Run with a lvl10 FEELS GOOD MANG. /bring it

Xun

Sooo...

Traditional MP?

k7Rk7.jpg

Please note that the bottom space in the puzzle piece has been edited with a Merq user's guess at what the phrase is supposed to say.

fEA90.jpg

Possible to set the amount of time you and your friends ride together live?

mxw1x.jpg

Guessing this is the ready up list while you wait in the helicopter.
Oh my.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That would be nice. Although it could simply be a gated start with friends.

I want a ride que. Que a bunch of events then play them all in a row without menu jumping.

I also want a sturdy online tracker. They allude to it in some loading screens but it does not exist.

Stackboy

That would be nice. Although it could simply be a gated start with friends.

I want a ride que. Que a bunch of events then play them all in a row without menu jumping.

I also want a sturdy online tracker. They allude to it in some loading screens but it does not exist.

The above image looks like it's an event. Wouldn't surprise me if it pairs you up with those who are playing at the time.

Quite surprised that SSX is still being supported. Don't get me wrong, my fave game this year!

Heads up, the patch is live and free on the PS3 and 360.

9MB update.

Patch 1.02 has just been released introducing 2 new game modes to SSX!

3-2-1 Go! Events

The first new game mode is a completely new way to play SSX online on Global Events.

When looking at your wall or browsing the globe, you will now see certain events indicated as 3-2-1-GO! These events allow you to compete with up to 5 riders simultaneously in fast paced Trick It and Race It Heats.

In these events, the helicopter acts as your lobby. After joining 3-2-1-GO! Event you will be taken to the top of the drop, where you will then wait in the helicopter for other riders to join. As soon as at least one more rider shows up, you can choose to buy into the event and ready-up!

Once at least two riders have readied, a countdown timer will begin, and when it reaches zero the heat will start with all riders jumping out together for a single trip down the mountain with no restarts.

Once everyone makes it down to the bottom, the event ends and everyone collects their credit rewards. You are then given the option to return back to the top or follow a RiderNet recommendation to another 3-2-1-GO Event.

3-2-1-GO! Trick Events introduce a countdown timer for the entire run, so the winner is determined by who can post the highest score AND cross the finish line before the clock hits zero.

The amount of time given on every drop varies based on the length of the track and the Heat Pacing setting - Hyper, Standard or Relaxed.

Regardless of the setting, you're going to want to keep an eye on the clock during your run - if you don't cross the finish line before it reaches zero, you will finish the heat with a big, fat, ZERO!

For 3-2-1-Go! Race Events, it's simple: be the first rider to cross the finish line to win! As soon as the first rider crosses the finish line the heat timer will start a countdown, and you will have a matter of seconds to cross the finish line to qualify. Fail to cross the finish line and you will receive a DNF. Nobody wants that!

Final;;y, if you want to compete against only your friends or with a specific set of rules on your favourite drop, you can create custom 3-2-1-GO! Race and Trick events that will run multiple heats on that drop for a set amount of time and with whatever rules suit your fancy.

Freeride

The other new way to play SSX is one of the most requested modes from the community - Freeride. Navigate to any drop on the globe in Explore, and before selecting your track you will now see a button callout in the bottom left of the screen called Freeride.

After going through the regular flow of selecting your rider and gear, the helicopter will drop you off and you will no longer see the HUD.

There are no rules, no ghosts, no clock, no score and no other riders. Just you, the mountain and your music, free to explore your surroundings at your own pace and with your own style.

Once you've reached the bottom, the helicopter will be waiting to take you back to do it all again. Ride for as long as you like and enjoy some of the most breathtaking scenery found in the world of SSX.

Fixes and Improvements

In addition to the new game modes, EA have made many improvements to the title, here are a few highlights:

SSX Update feature: Brings you all the latest information you nee to know about any future updates or fixes to the game.

There was an issue with collecting a large amount of Geotags that resulted in a crash. This issue is now fixed.

There was an issue with earning a large number of Credits in your bank. Having a couple of billion credits in your bank account can now only be considered a good thing!

A fix has been implemented in the lifetime earnings display to reflect the above fix.

If you have not already earned any of these 3 global event badges, the game will grant them to you automatically when you join any Glob Event: "Part of the Crowd", "I Want To Belong" and " Bandwagon". EA have also fixed a rare problem with "The Gold Miner" not unlocking correctly for some players.

If you are a popular player with many friends, you have probably grown frustrated with the speed and performance of the Returned menu. This is now much improved.

Players with many friends have also likely experienced an issue with RiderNet not remembering some of your Global Event information, or even the fact that you had paid and entered certain events from time to time. The saving and loading of this information has also been greatly improved.

Top Bottom