• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen remains offline as issues related to alpha 3.18 escalate the problem to a ‘major outage’

TVexperto

Last edited:

coffinbirth

who-would-have-thought-neil-degrasse-tyson.gif

The goal of this project is to never finish it so Chris Roberts and company can get money forever. I would call it a con but it's much more elaborate and clever than that. It's more like a subscription to an ideal, kind of?

It kind of reminds me of how religion works, you donate money and then you believe you can go to heaven. (This is a brute simplification obviously.) Here you donate money and then you can believe in the ideal of some amazing space sim game. Now that I think of it that's kind of like a cult.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
The goal of this project is to never finish it so Chris Roberts and company can get money forever. I would call it a con but it's much more elaborate and clever than that. It's more like a subscription to an ideal, kind of?

It kind of reminds me of how religion works, you donate money and then you believe you can go to heaven. (This is a brute simplification obviously.) Here you donate money and then you can believe in the ideal of some amazing space sim game. Now that I think of it that's kind of like a cult.
Believe is always based on something. And here we go...

RespawnX

No suprise. Alpha 3.18 is virtually a new game. The entire network system has been reworked and the persistence system is beyond anything in gaming. Making every dynamic object persistent across databases/servers was an insane idea even in theory. The testing revealed some problems here, but it was to be expected that these would multiply exponentially with the large rollout. There are some angry nerds, the kind of people who took vacation time to play on a patch day. Most of the furious tend to be people who are utterly uninvolved, as is the case here on GAF. See you in 3.18.2

TVexperto

No suprise. Alpha 3.18 is virtually a new game. The entire network system has been reworked and the persistence system is beyond anything in gaming. Making every dynamic object persistent across databases/servers was an insane idea even in theory. The testing revealed some problems here, but it was to be expected that these would multiply exponentially with the large rollout. There are some angry nerds, the kind of people who took vacation time to play on a patch day. Most of the furious tend to be people who are utterly uninvolved, as is the case here on GAF. See you in 3.18.2
how is theaters of war going? squadron 42? worst gaming company in my opinion ever

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

That's not true. 3.18 did need more testing and they were open about that from the start (PES Persistent Entity Streaming). Sure a rough launch, but it was expected that this was one of the only patches with a long test cycle.

RespawnX

how is theaters of war going? squadron 42? worst gaming company in my opinion ever
Theaters of war was going nowhere, the network code couldn't handle the scale. For the same reason we didn't get big permanent expansions for nearly two years. The new network code is a core component and in development for nearly half a decade. It's fundamental for the ongoing and further development. That's also the reason why the whole community is so nervous over this patch. It's a really big thing, very important but complex patch. It was to be expected to blow up, even by the developers.

S42 is another story. I'm also pissed about it, poor project management and communications.

StereoVsn

I am shocked this game is "delaying" launch and still is in Alfa, shocked I tell ya! 😉

I did waste $60 on this one, admittedly, many years ago.

onQ123

Isn't Starfield basically the same game but actually completed in a few years vs vaporware in 13 years?
I remember watching the movie with the little green guy & I didn't like the show too much growing up with the old bald guy Picard & his android Data

DrFigs

I know it’s easy to bash on Star Citizen but recently it seems like it’s taking shape

They seem to be having fun and reminds me of the early Eve online gangs.

Their new persistence system was tested and it shows it needs improvement, surprised pikachu face

the voice acting in this video is rough

Macattk15

I know it’s easy to bash on Star Citizen but recently it seems like it’s taking shape

They seem to be having fun and reminds me of the early Eve online gangs.

Their new persistence system was tested and it shows it needs improvement, surprised pikachu face

They having fun and all but it looks janky as fuck for how much money is dumped into it. Not for me but I can see how people would enjoy.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

It's never getting an official release. It will run out of money before it makes beta and there will be documentaries made about it. I'm actually excited for that part since it content WILL be made from it, and not in the way that we think.

Ribi

Cry harder OP. I paid $35 and am having a blast. Come to my window and yell, I will put some tea on while you have an existential crisis.

Top Bottom