• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen remains offline as issues related to alpha 3.18 escalate the problem to a ‘major outage’

nemiroff

Gold Member
This looks amazing. I don't understand the hate.

You probably know why considering the demographic of this forum. And besides that, SC is top dog, it has been in "alpha" for ages, it has an eye-opening crowd funding, so it's logically getting more scrutiny. And looking past the shallow regurgitated angry videogame kid drive-bys, it deserves to be extra critiqued. The way I look at it, the more pressure, the better, it keeps the devs' feet burning. The only downside is that the noise can hide the fact that SC is a marvel when it works like intended, there's nothing quite like it, it's trying to do things no other game has successfully done yet.

Anyway, things are starting to settle, devs are fixing stuff, things are starting to work again, even persistency streaming. It's a big update, and when things are into place it'll be good for the greater experience.

Last edited:

simpatico

Don't buy into it, that is a highly curated video done by a bunch of Star Citizen streamers. Shit like that rarely, if ever, actually occurs in game.
You are more likely going to die from ant number of bugs judt getting to your ship.
Post history checks out...

Last edited:
I'm glad some people are enjoying Star Citizen but it's just another "no life" space trucker MMO.

Way, way back I was actually mildly interested as someone who played WC Prophecy and Starlancer.
It was supposed to save space sims but it became world of warcraft in space.

Appears to be working now. Heres a video I made just now of my experience I have every time I set out in my starter ship :messenger_tears_of_joy::

I will say the framerate and overall performance seems to hold a lot better than the last patch, im on a 4090 and it used to chug before, now its pretty smooth once I get away from the main hub area lol.

I been a player for some time now. I typically boot it up when folks say stuffs happening with it, test it out, then uninstall it - doing my usual since folks are saying it was running this morning and it is, loaded fast. Still a beautiful jankfest

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Gotta love how people are proud of spending 35 bucks on an alpha.

Gotta love how people are proud of making regurgitated one-liner strawmen in a videogame forum.

..I have no idea what that means, just testing your logic. And to be frank it doesn't work that well. Perhaps we should try another one-liner?

Last edited:

Ribi

Most of those actually release though 👀
"Release " isn't a state of completion. It's just a term that developers use to get people to pay again once a game is out of early access. Example look at Fortnite, the game made billions in beta and only "released" a few years ago. Another example of a "released" game is seas of thieves. Game was so shallow at "release" that they had to patch in content as a Game as a service model. Final example is elite. Elite just last year got surface planets years after release where as SC (an alpha) has had them for many years before. So tell me how does an alpha have more features than a released game in the same genre? It's because "released" means jack shit other than an indication to people that they can jump in again.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
"Release " isn't a state of completion. It's just a term that developers use to get people to pay again once a game is out of early access. Example look at Fortnite, the game made billions in beta and only "released" a few years ago. Another example of a "released" game is seas of thieves. Game was so shallow at "release" that they had to patch in content as a Game as a service model. Final example is elite. Elite just last year got surface planets years after release where as SC (an alpha) has had them for many years before. So tell me how does an alpha have more features than a released game in the same genre? It's because "released" means jack shit other than an indication to people that they can jump in again.
If it's as complete and wholesome as you suggest, why is it still in Alpha?

Why not get the word out it's 1.0, get it in mainstream and be done with it

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Netflix doc on how all the money was being wasted is going to be fun to watch.
It’ll be like the “Fyre” of gaming.

Gotta admit this is one hell of a fraud. A crowd-funded game promising to fulfill the wildest dreams of 90s PC gamers (many of whom now have well established careers and lots of disposable income). With infinite timeline, feature scope, and budget. Funded mostly by selling virtual space ships that can cost many times more than a full-priced game.

calistan

Elite just last year got surface planets years after release where as SC (an alpha) has had them for many years before. So tell me how does an alpha have more features than a released game in the same genre? It's because "released" means jack shit other than an indication to people that they can jump in again.
Elite had a long-ish beta period, didn't it? My VR headset broke, so I haven't actually played it since the walking around on planets stuff got added, but there was a lot of other stuff that got patched in during the years I did play, and it always seemed like add-ons for complete game rather than fundamental stuff like these SC updates. You know, like here's a buggy for driving on planets, here's some sort of mystery alien puzzle, etc.

I'm definitely interested in SC, though. Tried it a couple of times during free play events, but I just couldn't get anywhere. The one time I managed to find to my ship without falling down a pit or getting stuck in a wall, I opened the hangar door and immediately suffocated because I was wearing a hospital gown instead of a space suit. That's when I thought I'd better wait until it's ready.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Love Star Citizen. This build was always going to be a disaster because of the massive changes that were made in the back end (Persistance, etc). What I have been able to play of it is incredibly cool.

1. Soft death (ships don't just go boom and disappear anymore) is a game changer as it will eventually lead to better boarding and Piracy gameplay. Technically this gameplay exists in 3.18 but there is little reason to board right now outside of stealing cargo. Its also nice to "Soft Kill" an enemy in atmosphere and watch them spiral out of control and smash into the ground in a fiery explosion. The persistence of ships and debris after killing something also adds extra danger to fights as they become obstacles to avoid less you hit them and go boom. Large events are going to be hilarious with the debris.

2. Salvage is such a neat yet simple mechanic. Currently a lot of people are crashing out of the game or being disconnected so ships are pretty much littering the landing zones. Its really funny to fly to port olisar and see the halo of empty ships being salvaged by a single vulture.

3. The persistence tech works as described and its going to be really cool when things get stable and we have the option to join servers we have been on before. A very encouraging step for the future of this project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom