• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Buggy Loop

Went to get the Crusader A1 tonight as my loaner ship for the MKII ES. WAY massive for a starter ship.

TwJbQ5M.jpg

Denton

While I'm super optimistic since the conference, this was hilarious, unscripted's AI voice and editing is out of this world, I'll give him that.

Hilarious and well done.

I am still glad we have Chris Roberts who wants all these things xD

Buggy Loop

Apparently CIG is working on a new StarEngine demo with fixes and additional content, that's why they haven't published the direct feed of the CitizenCon one.

I hope they're like "BTW, running on Vulkan API, DLSS" and runs smoother.

BTW, Pyro just look insane. Can't wait to have this out of test server

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Free fly begins today, LiquidMetal14 LiquidMetal14

Warning to new peoples, the surge of existing and free trial peoples on the server for trying out ships is apparently CHAOS. I never did IAE in the past so tonight I'll see for myself. But this is probably gonna stress the servers big time, especially after how this citizencon was so hype.

The new alien ship looks amazing and its in free trial today

Sound design of it is so good, feels really alien. You can apparently change the color also of the hud.

The sounds it makes while flying

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Only $65 too, typically a ship that detailed would cost way more, fans were expecting ~$150. I'm gonna try it and probably buy it tonight. Looks so iconic.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Free fly begins today, LiquidMetal14 LiquidMetal14

Warning to new peoples, the surge of existing and free trial peoples on the server for trying out ships is apparently CHAOS. I never did IAE in the past so tonight I'll see for myself. But this is probably gonna stress the servers big time, especially after how this citizencon was so hype.

The new alien ship looks amazing and its in free trial today

Sound design of it is so good, feels really alien. You can apparently change the color also of the hud.

The sounds it makes while flying

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Only $65 too, typically a ship that detailed would cost way more, fans were expecting ~$150. I'm gonna try it and probably buy it tonight. Looks so iconic.

Ty ty

Gonna look into this in a bit!

LiquidMetal14

Played for 1.5 hours. Made it to the first space port and was just tying to get my bearings. Liking the feel a lot.

Doing the tutorial stuff. Runs well. Wanted to change be color of the global chat since it's harder to read when looking at certain things.

Also, forgot to use the warp (B button) heading to New Babbage Spaceport. Enjoyed the flight talking to people and asking questions but clearly it's going to some time to acclimate.

Buggy Loop

Played for 1.5 hours. Made it to the first space port and was just tying to get my bearings. Liking the feel a lot.

Doing the tutorial stuff. Runs well. Wanted to change be color of the global chat since it's harder to read when looking at certain things.

Also, forgot to use the warp (B button) heading to New Babbage Spaceport. Enjoyed the flight talking to people and asking questions but clearly it's going to some time to acclimate.

It's a very steep learning curve with the tutorial barely scratching the surface.

Logically, the idea is that Squadron 42 will introduce you to all the mechanics and that after you finish the campaign you log into the MMO if you want to continue, campaign even granting you the F8 if i recall upon completion.

Buggy Loop

Oh my god. Visit the expo for the Aegis Reclaimer. Mind boggling HUGE. You can rent it! I don't know if it's even feasible solo or even with a friend. This monster probably takes a big crew. I'll test it tomorrow night.

tJUmyV4.jpg
2DpQWhA.jpg

I had no idea. I saw the ship in the trailers but never saw this sense of scale. I got lost in the freaking ship. The habitat

My own screenshots of the alien ships for rent.

MW5XM0R.jpg

DDAgZPp.jpg

Also MP'd with a conny pilot whom also showed me a few neat tricks that tutorial skips on.

QwVBDZH.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh my god. Visit the expo for the Aegis Reclaimer. Mind boggling HUGE. You can rent it! I don't know if it's even feasible solo or even with a friend. This monster probably takes a big crew. I'll test it tomorrow night.

tJUmyV4.jpg
2DpQWhA.jpg

I had no idea. I saw the ship in the trailers but never saw this sense of scale. I got lost in the freaking ship. The habitat

My own screenshots of the alien ships for rent.

MW5XM0R.jpg

DDAgZPp.jpg

Also MP'd with a conny pilot whom also showed me a few neat tricks that tutorial skips on.

QwVBDZH.jpg

I have the reclaimer for like 5 years already. I haven’t used it much for the last couple of years. I’ll wait till it’s gold standard.

LiquidMetal14

Had some great help last night and hopped on Discord to play with 4 people. We had a guide or someone really cool and willing to walk us through and do some missions

This is probably what the die hard fans have been waiting for as it seems like it's in a much better state than I anticipated. The systems are robust and while not final, there is something enormous and ambitious.

Definitely a great time to try and go in with an open mind knowing this isn't finished but feels right to be playing it.

Buggy Loop

Had some great help last night and hopped on Discord to play with 4 people. We had a guide or someone really cool and willing to walk us through and do some missions

This is probably what the die hard fans have been waiting for as it seems like it's in a much better state than I anticipated. The systems are robust and while not final, there is something enormous and ambitious.

Definitely a great time to try and go in with an open mind knowing this isn't finished but feels right to be playing it.

Yeah, the tutorial misses the mark, it really needs an update. But soon as you group with an experienced player, holy shit.

Coming from years of Elite Dangerous, which is as wide as the galaxy but an inch deep, I much prefer the approach of Star Citizen. When the QOL features come in SC, such as the new star map, the interactivity wheel, animations for parkour / ladders / crouch / prone, data running, exploration incentives and of course Pyro system, it's gonna be lit. If they make server meshing happen by the next 12 months, this has the potential to be one of the most fun MMO.

Back when SC & Elite dangerous were asking for backer support in ~2013 ish, i honestly thought that Elite dangerous would win this battle out. I actually backed the damn thing for $300 to have access to all future DLCs and alpha version. They had released the universe, the combat was good, it was playable... while SC had an hangar.. I would never have bet the odds that CIG would crawl through the feature creep slowly but surely and end up surpassing ED, which crapped out by the way, Frontier was negative ~25M $ early 2023 last i recall, it's gonna be killed off and there's a mass exodus of ED players to SC.

Comes to mind that making sure the engine is robust enough to support your ambitions, even if you are the target of mockery and you get huge delays, that it's more important than to "release" something early but will not evolve well to your vision. Elite Dangerous' cobra engine is a limiting factor now and Frontier is kind of fucked without financial incomes. The backer's money is long gone. We laugh at peoples who buy ships in Star Citizen but honestly, looking at the situation of ED right now, I can't say that CIG was wrong.

LiquidMetal14

Yeah, the tutorial misses the mark, it really needs an update. But soon as you group with an experienced player, holy shit.

Coming from years of Elite Dangerous, which is as wide as the galaxy but an inch deep, I much prefer the approach of Star Citizen. When the QOL features come in SC, such as the new star map, the interactivity wheel, animations for parkour / ladders / crouch / prone, data running, exploration incentives and of course Pyro system, it's gonna be lit. If they make server meshing happen by the next 12 months, this has the potential to be one of the most fun MMO.

Back when SC & Elite dangerous were asking for backer support in ~2013 ish, i honestly thought that Elite dangerous would win this battle out. I actually backed the damn thing for $300 to have access to all future DLCs and alpha version. They had released the universe, the combat was good, it was playable... while SC had an hangar.. I would never have bet the odds that CIG would crawl through the feature creep slowly but surely and end up surpassing ED, which crapped out by the way, Frontier was negative ~25M $ early 2023 last i recall, it's gonna be killed off and there's a mass exodus of ED players to SC.

Comes to mind that making sure the engine is robust enough to support your ambitions, even if you are the target of mockery and you get huge delays, that it's more important than to "release" something early but will not evolve well to your vision. Elite Dangerous' cobra engine is a limiting factor now and Frontier is kind of fucked without financial incomes. The backer's money is long gone. We laugh at peoples who buy ships in Star Citizen but honestly, looking at the situation of ED right now, I can't say that CIG was wrong.
It's pretty amazing and I was talking to the guide last night and he was saying the same thing. I guess it's understandable when you see how some were frustrated that this was taking so long but the missions we did were seriously fun. We had been surprised by the enemies in a space port mission and the blew up what looked like a space golf cart lol

And the combat with people just felt fun. I'm not looking for reasons to like this and give it unnecessary praise as there are critiques like elevators being wonky and some general warping of players and enemies but going with an open mind knowing this isn't finished helps.

It's super ambitious but can tell it's got super high potential. The meshing, when in place, will be pretty evolutionary.

Going to wait until 4.0 drops before diving back in as the state of the UI just kills it for me. Hopefully most of the citcon updates are in by then. How's the game play with a gamepad now? Was thinking of hooking this up to a 77in G3 Oled but looks like it's still dependent on having dedicated mouse for UI navigation

LiquidMetal14

Going to wait until 4.0 drops before diving back in as the state of the UI just kills it for me. Hopefully most of the citcon updates are in by then. How's the game play with a gamepad now? Was thinking of hooking this up to a 77in G3 Oled but looks like it's still dependent on having dedicated mouse for UI navigation
Plays well according to one of the people I was playing but he mentioned you still need to use the mouse for certain actions. Not perfect yet.

Buggy Loop

Origin day at IAE

I believe this is the biggest ship in the game? At least available to players.

Hard to have a sense of scale, but I think the expo with the small ships on the side kind of give a feeling of it.

Probably gonna rent it tonight :messenger_beaming:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Origin day at IAE

Hard to have a sense of scale, but I think the expo with the small ships on the side kind of give a feeling of it.

890J is indeed the current largest ship in-game. But still small compared to others that will be released. Reclaimer still feels larger because of its beasty size. I personally never liked the 890j. This whole IAE is fun for new players, but for me as an “older” backer, it’s mostly only interesting at the days they announce something new.

Buggy Loop

Got the white paint for the Syulen, too good looking goddamn.

iQcyLCL.jpg

Then I got the Crusader Ares Ion out from the rental and had tons of fun bounty hunting NPCs in the asteroid belt. That thing basically has a sniper the size of a small ship on the side. It was very fun to explode enemies with it.

eYsosw8.jpg

bPFGjZz.jpg

Then I went to HEX to replenish...

AgYspOd.jpg

I got blown out by what I guess is a PVP'er a few seconds after exiting the station..

Oh well. Had a ton of fun this evening and actually getting addicted to the bounty hunting loop. Reminds me a lot of the time I spent in Elite Dangerous, but this is so much better. I didn't think Star citizen had such nice combat for ships in space, decoupling for newtonian physics and drifting in asteroids as I approach my target is so goddamn fun.

Oh and the game is a looker, so freaking pretty.

Snake29 Snake29 , maybe you can tell me, typically when I died by NPCs or crashed myself, I would have seen a red marker for my body's location, allowing me to go loot it back. I didn't see the market when I died from PVP. Does it simply mean it bugged out? Or player looted me and then market disappears for an empty corpse?

Last edited:

manfestival

joined me a pirate crew. stomped out some bounty hunters and got a couple ransoms under my belt too. This is really the only fun I have had playing this game

Buggy Loop

joined me a pirate crew. stomped out some bounty hunters and got a couple ransoms under my belt too. This is really the only fun I have had playing this game

You don't happen to have killed a guy with an Ion at Grim Hex yesterday? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'll have to try out pirating one day with a crew. Even if it fucks up with crimes, I kind of want to go visit the prison, will probably happen eventually, but to escape it I mean. Looks like a ton of fun.

iHaunter

Origin day at IAE

Idris is the biggest playable ship in the game. It's ENORMOUS.

Buggy Loop

Heya Evocati!

We have a special one here from the Network Team today!

Paul, Ivan, and Benoit have put together a Replication Layer build for you all to test on the Tech Preview Channel today for a roughly 4 hour playtest if all goes well!

With this first preview of the tech, we will be on a 3.21.0 build and there shouldn't be much noticeable while playing besides 1 major feature.

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office

A major step towards server meshing begins with replication layer test.

CIG's description of this :

The next step was to move entity replication into a central place where we can control the streaming and network-bind logic. This then allows us to replicate the network state to multiple server nodes. In order to achieve this, we had to move the streaming and replication logic out of the dedicated server into the “Replication” layer, which now hosts the network replication and entity-streaming code.

At the same time we also implemented Persistent Streaming, which allows the Replication layer to persist entity state into a graph database that stores the state of every single network replicated entity.

EVO players already reporting "You get an error message while a server is dead, after a while everything just continues no more disconnects, chat and voip still work fine during the server change etc" → It FREAKING WORKS

Basically this means that players connect to the replication layer and not the server. Server dies? You're not disconnected, while the replication layer transfers everything to a new server, once it's done you basically continue as if nothing happened with all the persistent items being there.

This is the last piece of the recipe required before moving to server meshing. Which is basically doing the above entity transfers, but rather as disconnect mitigation, will do it on the fly between servers to connect more peoples together as needed depending on load.

What they just did right now is 1 server-server meshing. Eventually all servers will talk to the replication layer.

After replication layer is tested thoroughly, next step is static server meshing and eventually dynamic server meshing.

Huge news for MMO server tech. The game has persistent object and any server disconnect would basically wipe the state of all these objects. Replication layers split manages to keep track of that when server comes back with no disconnection on user end.

This test was exactly this part of the Citizencon 2953 demo, tested on the PU rather than a small room

Buggy Loop

I am at 11 minute mark, and I gotta wonder, how the fuck did they make not just the actual content, but this video specifically

ridiculous

Not sure I understand what you mean

Heh, I was curious if they fixed and tuned the LOD pop-in, and it's good to see they did, at least the worst of it. Good stuff.

It seems to have vastly improved yes and apparently when they switch to Vulkan, there's a feature to improve on that even further in the pipeline by doing it on GPU. So if it performs that well now, Vulkan + DLSS will be so good.

There's also a leak around reddit about the timeline the coming months

So many things at the same time. Along with the server meshing tests they are doing as I posted earlier in the thread, the next 12 months or so will be a game changer.

This guy always makes amazing videos, really talented. I discovered him for the Starfield ship building video. Didn't know he had a huge repertoire of Star Citizen videos.

Soon as I rented the Syulen and spent a few hours with it, I bought it on the store. Super well designed imo. And the sound design is very alien. On top of having a very particle intensive explosion at death, or that the quantum drive is different than human ships (was a first for me), it felt alien, I loved it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I wonder if CIG will ever make an event where alien ships turn against the players. All this propaganda about not buying alien ships, would be cool as hell if they go fully with this.

Buggy Loop

Are we actually going to have the demo to download or is this press only?

I really get sick of press only demos.

What do you mean? It's an engine demo. I wish they would actually make it a free benchmark, but as of now, this is also what you can play in the MMO, although they added upcoming graphical features / critters that will soon be available for players, such as Pyro by end of year.

Going to microtech from space to ground, or the space station in the asteroid, that's playable now.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Ah. I see. You can play for free for a limited time.
Sounds like it is $60 for the MMO and single player.

Edit: I see you can pledge $40 for the MMO, but there is no longer the $15 option for single player.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Ah. I see. You can play for free for a limited time.
Sounds like it is $60 for the MMO and single player.

Edit: I see you can pledge $40 for the MMO, but there is no longer the $15 option for single player.

Yea Squadron 42 you can't buy anymore.

They've had so much money funds from the past years that it makes sense that they no longer take funding for SQ42 development and that the cash will go for the years of further development that will go into the MMO.

SQ42 will for sure pop up as a standalone price close to release.

Right now the cheapest Star citizen pledge is the Mustang @ $40.50 USD

But I think at the next play for free in spring 2024 it will be more worth checking out. I'm having fun in the game right now honestly and play every night now, but it's buggy, it's janky, especially since it's the IAE and there's a surge of stress on the servers. When everything is smooth though, good server fps, it's so awesome, nothing like it. The QOL improvements coming in upcoming patches should drastically change the experience.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I am at 11 minute mark, and I gotta wonder, how the fuck did they make not just the actual content, but this video specifically

ridiculous
(just joking)
1. Load Star Engine software
2. Load Star Citizen project
3. Place a moving camera across billions of kilometers where you want
4. Click 'Run' button or export video

Buggy Loop

I wonder how jump to Pyro was made. Those are real distances or (as I thought) one map=one solar system and jump between them are loading screens.

Good question. The wormhole for sure is a map, while it is loading in the background as you change the coordinate system anyway and as of now, at least live, it’ll change server. The distances travelled must have made the wormhole map as long as the distance between systems rather than say, both systems being in the same world. 64bit precision coordinates is good, but at a solar system scale good, not between solar systems and its vast emptiness.

So Pyro and other solar systems requires server meshing, at least for MMO part.

You need a map and for it to be without « noticeable » loading as you will travel those wormholes with crew. It’s of course always loading assets in the background, there’s no such thing as no loading of assets, but as long as its seamless to user, the goal of immersion is achieved.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Is that the C1 or A1, I have a hard time telling them apart.

And where is that? Stanton or Pyro?

If you have the C1, do you recommend it? I loved bounty hunting and now I learned the best way to make bank on that is with cargo capable ships as the containers can have maze $$$$. I pledged for the Zeus MK2 ES.... which has the A1 loaner (no cargo) and the MR & CL variants of the Zeus MK2 have the C1 loaner.. I'm kind pissed..

Yoooooo

updated StarEngine feed at 4K

Been wanting this for ages.

200.gif

"Everything is in-engine"
*shows speed on HUD as 65 billion meters per second, 200 times the speed of light*

I'm not sure the engine is accurately showing the speed the player is moving through the universe simulation and it's not Chris Roberts going "put a big number there, the bigliest number in all of space gaming!"

Top Bottom