• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah, and increasingly so with more refined content and features pouring in.

I'm generally more interested in S42, but my three hours in the SC alpha yesterday was a nice experience, albeit challenging (even trying to figure out how to take of the helmet and drink a soda..) .

Engaging QT and walking around in the ship while seeing the universe passing by outside was.almost mesmerizing. I can't wait until later with the kids in the bed to jump back into the game.

Go to your inventory "i" and drag and drop it back in your backpack, ship inventory or local inventory. Helmets are not physicalised yet in SC. Soon you will be able to put on your helmet like in real life. They are (already have for SQ42) converted these items as physicalised items, same as your whole suit.

Also:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Go to your inventory "i" and drag and drop it back in your backpack, ship inventory or local inventory. Helmets are not physicalised yet in SC. Soon you will be able to put on your helmet like in real life. They are (already have for SQ42) converted these items as physicalised items, same as your whole suit.

Also:

Explaining dynamic server meshing to public is not an easy task, but it will revolutionize multiplayer games, not just Star Citizen, but everyone will eventually copy.

Never again the EVE online like slowed down server ticks, it can change granularity on the fly, on a ship, on a base, on a station, in a city. A fictional bullet that would not stop its path would cross servers, kill peoples miles away on completely different servers, travel to space, hit a ship crew that had their own server bubble, etc. Also turning off sections of planets / regions where there’s nobody will save a ton of server ressources.

Witchcraft

Meicyn

Gold Member
A fictional bullet that would not stop its path would cross servers, kill peoples miles away on completely different servers, travel to space, hit a ship crew that had their own server bubble, etc.
This is not a thing. It’s cool to be excited about the game but this is just absolute nonsense. You would transmit the firing event from one server to another and then determine if an object was hit within a certain range. After that, those resources are cleared to pave way for something else.

Dedicating limited memory towards each and every bullet ever fired from a weapon and keeping track of their trajectories for what is functionally forever as it’s rolling through the infinite that is space until it happens to strike a stellar object is absolutely absurd. Come on now.

ThisIsMyDog

Explaining dynamic server meshing to public is not an easy task, but it will revolutionize multiplayer games, not just Star Citizen, but everyone will eventually copy.

Never again the EVE online like slowed down server ticks, it can change granularity on the fly, on a ship, on a base, on a station, in a city. A fictional bullet that would not stop its path would cross servers, kill peoples miles away on completely different servers, travel to space, hit a ship crew that had their own server bubble, etc. Also turning off sections of planets / regions where there’s nobody will save a ton of server ressources.

Witchcraft
If they succeeded with this technology, MMO games could return to the top of gaming.

Buggy Loop

This is not a thing. It’s cool to be excited about the game but this is just absolute nonsense. You would transmit the firing event from one server to another and then determine if an object was hit within a certain range. After that, those resources are cleared to pave way for something else.

Dedicating limited memory towards each and every bullet ever fired from a weapon and keeping track of their trajectories for what is functionally forever as it’s rolling through the infinite that is space until it happens to strike a stellar object is absolutely absurd. Come on now.

Over It Ugh GIF

Read again, fictional case, fictional bullet. The tech can, but no they won’t have infinite kinetic bullets. Bullets travel seamlessly between servers, impacting objects from a server away.

This also allows for 50 men crew in a ship, and then a battalion of those ships, a guild war ala EVE online but without the server slowing down to a metronome, almost turned based battle…The mesh is attached to a ship and travels in space, even multiple meshes in one ship if need to be.

When they pull this off, not a single MMO will feel as populated as SC, all servers meshing together for what will look like to the observer as one single server.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

lmao

See, you can’t help yourself. It isn’t enough to just let the tech speak for itself, you have to keep adding Peter Molyneux levels of hype.

What are you even on about? The whole point of dynamic server meshing is to make it feel like everyone is on one server. I'm not saying it'll be the most popular MMO in user count, but that it will FEEL like the most populated in games because of the tech.

Or are you even denying what the tech is doing?

Meicyn

Gold Member
but that it will FEEL like the most populated
I like how I’m expected to debate this, as if “it will feel the most populated” is some kind of factual statement. What am I on about, indeed.

The fact that you don’t get the problem doesn’t surprise me. Peter Molyneux didn’t get it either.

Buggy Loop

I like how I’m expected to debate this, as if “it will feel the most populated” is some kind of factual statement. What am I on about, indeed.

Explain dynamic server meshing then

Rather than split thousands of players in their silo servers where they can never meet, they'll be in the same world interacting with each others, MESHING THEM.

chris tucker do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? GIF

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Explain dynamic server meshing then

Rather than split thousands of players in their silo servers where they can never meet, they'll be in the same world interacting with each others, MESHING THEM.

chris tucker do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? GIF
See, you don’t get it.

I am not arguing about the tech. You are attempting to conflate my problem with your hype with some kind of anti-Star Citizen position. I too, can use images.

hiL4s6V.jpg

I am an original backer on this project. I am still here, unrefunded. I will judge the product based on what inevitably ships, and not hypotheticals like “this game will feel the most citizen of all games with stars in them” or some other dumb shit.

CapMaster

Neo Member
No one is expecting you to debate anything, you obviously lack the intellectual ability to "debate", and this tech is just way over your head. The only thing you've proven is that you can't comprehend what is happening with server meshing, and you think being a smug git about your inability to understand is somehow putting one over on the people trying to explain this shit to you.

Edit: oh shit you're also one of those dudes that has been practically cured in your own salt over this project 🙄 no wonder you can't understand the tech, you're blinded by $60 you spent a decade ago. Turbo poor guy attitude.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
No one is expecting you to debate anything, you obviously lack the intellectual ability to "debate", and this tech is just way over your head. The only thing you've proven is that you can't comprehend what is happening with server meshing, and you think being a smug git about your inability to understand is somehow putting one over on the people trying to explain this shit to you.
yeah my iq isn’t high enough for rick and morty star citizen

People play shitty early access games for years, but SC is a step to far for them because it’s not “released”.

Dude Star Citizen already is released and is in continuous development. I had more fun in Star Citizen then the majority of the games i played in my life so far.
Same here. Started backing the game in 2015 and my old PC could barely run it properly but I stayed with it. Playing it now on my new 4090 build and it looks beautiful and it constantly blows me away have far the Alpha has come. Even in the Alpha state with all the bugs and unstable servers it’s still one of my favorite games ever. I have sunk thousands of hours into SC since 2015 and got my money’s worth out of just the Alpha alone.

Funny thing is that I backed the game for SQ42 mainly and SC was supposed to be a distraction for me but I’ve spent so many hours having fun with it. Watching Citizencon this year made me so happy because SQ42 is looking like the real deal and much better than what I imagined it was going to be. The game is taking forever to make but I don’t care. I want CIG to make the best space game ever and I don’t want any compromises. A truly great and revoltionary game take time to cook and I’m okay with that as long as they give us updates. They’ve boosted my confidence with Citizencon this year and everything they’ve shown has made me truly believe they’ll deliver something special with both SQ42 and SC in the coming years.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Another one! There is some fun stuff, lol.

Bizarrely performance overall is great for early tech preview:messenger_ok:
How much is it to get started in star citizen? I'm kinda feeling like taking a gander at it.
I think starter ship pack is $45 $54 and it's enough to try the PU. Aurora MR is good beginner ship - you can try basic things. Don't know about Cutter.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

How much is it to get started in star citizen? I'm kinda feeling like taking a gander at it.

$45 USD, but that's Star Citizen only now it seems, no more SQ42 in packages as far as I see (cept the upper most package).

If you go in, it'll require a bit of patience I would say, maybe cool things this year at citizencon that excite me, but as of now, the quality of life features are not in and oh boy, it's a steep learning curve.

Edit -

Also today they released a new video of the conference, Fix it and Fly it

The engineering aspect of it. Can't believe they modeled the ship in such detail with so many systems.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just be aware that all the cool new things you've seen from citizencon many of them are not put into the live alpha yet. If that's a concern, wait at least a few weeks more. If you don't mind some cooking, then dive in.

As buggy loop said, also expect some walls to climb over to learn stuff..
Wit that said, I started playing for the first time last week, and I had a really good time with it once the first hour or two of pain wore off.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I know this has maybe been said but can you buy both games for a cheaper price? Is it a one purchase gets you SC and SQ42? Consider me uninformed.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I recommend patience, they have occasional free fly events where you can try things out without spending a dime. They also have promotions where you can buy a starter kit for a discount. They tend to run anniversary sales during mid through late November.

Buggy Loop

I know this has maybe been said but can you buy both games for a cheaper price? Is it a one purchase gets you SC and SQ42? Consider me uninformed.

I couldn't find a SQ42 digital inclusion into starter packages until the highest package price. So it's probably best to wait on some promotion or extra to include it. I'm really not sure either as i backed this so long ago, it was included back then. For sure someone can probably be better informed for this than me

Snake29 Snake29 ?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I couldn't find a SQ42 digital inclusion into starter packages until the highest package price. So it's probably best to wait on some promotion or extra to include it. I'm really not sure either as i backed this so long ago, it was included back then. For sure someone can probably be better informed for this than me

Snake29 Snake29 ?

It’s not available anymore inside packages. You can’t buy SQ42 atm. Only in our previous packages is SQ42 available. I have multiple packages with SQ42 in it.

Also:

calistan

The demo of the guy putting out the fire by venting the fuckin room into space. That was a holy shit moment.
That sounds amazing. I hope there’s some sort of explanation of how to do it, though, like a scene where you’re forced to do that in the story.

Last time I played Star Citizen, a few years ago, I was looking for my ship but I clipped through a railing and fell down some sort of ventilation shaft.

Respawned and figured out where I was meant to go, but as soon as I stepped out into the hangar I died from suffocation - didn’t realise that respawning put me in a hospital gown and I had to gear up again before opening the airlock.

Anyway, I guess there’s a long way to go between an impressive engine and an excellent game. Back then, people advised new players to join a forum and find a mentor to teach them how to play, which wasn’t exactly appealing to me. Here’s hoping they’ve got it all figured out now.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Is Squadron 42 a single player game inside of the star citizen mmo?
Negative, the best way to view it is like Red Dead Redemption 2, or GTA V. You have fully independent, offline playable single player games. Meanwhile Red Dead Online and GTA Online take place in the same environments utilizing the same assets but deliver a fully online, expanded, multiplayer experience with more stuff to do.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That sounds amazing. I hope there’s some sort of explanation of how to do it, though, like a scene where you’re forced to do that in the story.

Last time I played Star Citizen, a few years ago, I was looking for my ship but I clipped through a railing and fell down some sort of ventilation shaft.

Respawned and figured out where I was meant to go, but as soon as I stepped out into the hangar I died from suffocation - didn’t realise that respawning put me in a hospital gown and I had to gear up again before opening the airlock.

Anyway, I guess there’s a long way to go between an impressive engine and an excellent game. Back then, people advised new players to join a forum and find a mentor to teach them how to play, which wasn’t exactly appealing to me. Here’s hoping they’ve got it all figured out now.

Here you can see the resource network and engineering gameplay.
--------------------------------

SQ42 Monthly Report October 2023

AI (Content)

In October, AI Content’s focus was on reviewing the functionalities showcased in the ‘I Held the Line’ video shown at CitizenCon, specifically the Stanton’s hangar, med-bay, and new gym area.
For the hangar, the team concentrated on the visual quality of the deck and utility crew animations. This involved fine-tuning their interactions as they go about their tasks, such as repairing and inspecting the Gladius. Moreover, AI Content incorporated responsive behaviors for NPCs on the hangar sidelines. These characters now dynamically react to the player's actions in the cockpit, significantly amplifying the immersive quality of the in-game environment.
In the med-bay, focus was on ensuring that animations transitioned smoothly and seamlessly. A new sat-up, sleeping patient was also added to the med-bed; the doctor periodically scans the patient to check their vital signs, which is part of the medical behavior system.
While not directly related to ‘Hold the Line,’ part of the team worked on a new gym area, setting up usable items like treadmills and dumbbells. NPCs will use the treadmills for running exercise and lift dumbbells for weight training. After these exercises, they will return to a seat to recover before continuing their activities.

AI (Features)

Last month, AI Features focused on gameplay functionality for a key combat encounter. The enemy now learns when the player exploits an attack pattern, damage rates were increased, and weapon cooldown was decreased to ramp up the challenge over the course of the fight. The collision-avoidance system was also implemented to allow the enemy to navigate around obstacles that the player can use in the fight.
The team then made balance changes to fight tactic TPS queries so that the different tactics (pusher, strafer, and defender) feel more distinctive.
They also continued to review cover usage, which generated numerous fixes for how NPCs find and move to cover, step out to fire, and exit, particularly when in defend areas.
AI Features are currently developing an all-encompassing test level for combat that will allow them to test all of their features together. There, they can add various parameters and select different enemies with varying combinations of traits. This new level will be used to test combat consistency across the PU and SQ42 and will provide a solid place to test improvements and bug fixes to AI combat and its related functionality. For example, ammo usage, mounted weapons, attack and defend areas, medics, accuracy, and stealth gameplay.

Animation

The team continued streamlining combat animations, working on the skill-level-one takedowns as well as interactable animations in the environment. They’re also working on the first-select animations for weapons and their malfunctions, continuing to capture animations where needed to complement scenes and locations, and working through the various facial animations for story performances and ambient dialogue.

Audio

Throughout October, Audio implemented and polished sounds for ‘I Held the Line’.
“Using our newly created multi-band compressor, we improved the weapon sound effects across all guns in Squadron. We also designed some more cinematic assets and provided Foley to key animations throughout the trailer.” Audio Team
Tech Sound Design spent time ensuring the tech-demonstration videos had the proper sounds and the desired synchronization and timings occurred. Vast improvements were also made to the team’s vehicle systems.
Audio Code generated new tech that will bring SQ42’s sounds to life and fixed any bugs that came to light.
The Dialogue team supported content polish for CitizenCon by fixing bugs and implementing the latest dialogue recordings. They also plugged in the breathing system to provide a more immersive experience.
Development of the Walla system continued too, which will help to create a lively experience as players explore the world. October’s work included a series of internal test recordings.

Engine

The majority of the Engine team’s work last month involved preparing for CitizenCon.
“All teams were hands on deck to deliver features and support other teams on work related to what we showed at CitizenCon. This is always an interesting time, as it is very stressful but also rewarding when everything comes together due to the focused effort.” Engine Team
The Core Engine team primarily worked on bug fixes for the live release, including some long-standing memory leaks on the live server.
The Physics team focused on delivering improvements to the Maelstrom destruction system and cloth and hair tech.
Lastly, the Entity System Tech team supported the Online team to deliver the Server Meshing demo while continuing to work on editor entity streaming.

Features (Gameplay)

Last month, Gameplay Features polished the new character customizer, working on skin texture and tone, freckles, blemishes, eyes, makeup, and much more.
On the new Starmap, the team worked to get the markers and labels working correctly on planets. This involved enabling the magnetic cursor to snap to icons, implementing the search box, and a variety of smaller improvements.
Work also began on a new SQ42-specific frontend, making it feel like an extension of the game world. It will feature a changing environment reflecting how far through the campaign players are and be populated with collected items.
They also added a sim-pod UI screen to allow players to select which simulation they want to play, seamlessly transition into it, and view ‘how did you do’ screens upon completion.

Gameplay Story

Much of Gameplay Story’s October involved focusing on reviewing new content seen during the ‘I Held the Line’ video. As part of this, they expanded their scenes with the hangar deck crew, adjusting idles and welding animations for the character on top of the Gladius and updating the ladder-climb animation to fix some clipping. They also added more idles to the deck-crew character in the cockpit and added the new mobiGlas effect to the refueling character.
In the med-bay, various bugs were fixed relating to handheld props, while additional interactions were added to the medical consoles.
Alongside this, Gameplay Story used some new mo-cap to extend their first scene in chapter one, created a long idle for an early group scene, and added some player-injured lines to the med-bay scenes.

Graphics & VFX Programming

For the Graphics, Planet Tech, and VFX Programming teams, the majority of October was spent touching up the many features demonstrated at CitizenCon, including the water simulation, global illumination, Maelstrom, fire, and rifle scopes.
The Vulkan sub-team continued tackling the remaining performance and stability issues.

Social Narrative team

In October, the Social Narrative team supported the preparation for ‘I Held the Line’, including the landing and take-off scenarios in the Idris' hangar.
“Landing is something we’ve been focusing on recently, including tactile deck-crew interactions with both your ship and your fellow wingman, Old Man.” Social Narrative Team
Work was done on the NPCs repairing the landed Gladius (featuring new welding animations), inspecting the cockpit, and refueling. These animations were layered on top of the systemic AI to move the hangar experience closer to the team’s overall expectations.
Away from ‘I Held the Line’, the team continued to focus on the Idris interstitials and Fortune's Cross location. For example, they revised a number of medical-room scenes. Previously, medical staff involved in a narrative scene wouldn’t reference the fact that the player could be injured. So, Gameplay Story provided Level Design with new content that addressed this issue, which involves the medical crew pausing at multiple points to tell players to head to the healing station if injured.

Narrative

The Narrative team spent time finalizing content captured last month to get initial animations and audio passes into the game so they could experience the moments in situ. They’ll continue to sync with the Design teams to review the levels as this content is implemented.
Meanwhile, Narrative continued their work completing the text requirements for the game. As mentioned in previous reports, this includes all the message exchanges that the player will receive (for both gameplay and social messaging), reviewing mission objectives, adding Galactapedia entries, and looking at other environmental content to help sell the story and feel of the various locations.
“On a personal note, it was tremendously exciting to meet all of you who came out to CitizenCon and hear your reactions to the update video.” Narrative Team

R&D

In October, time was dedicated to cloud-shaping improvements, which will allow the team to author more varied cloud content. For example, it is now easier to break up cloud fronts. The improvements also provide more flexibility in blending shape noise at height. As a result, the consistency of short vs. long-distance reads was improved and tiling from orbit is less noticeable. More improvements are planned, particularly with regards to improving details at cloud fringes.
The first iteration of ground fog was also made available to the content teams, which follows terrain up to a specified height per location and fully integrates into the atmosphere. As a result, it receives volumetric shadows from both clouds and terrain along with dampening direct and indirect light scattered through the atmosphere into the view ray.
Moreover, support was added to cast volumetric shadows from clouds into the atmosphere. This includes various optimizations to sample and evaluate volumetric cloud shadows. As a byproduct, volumetric cloud shadows now also update lazily to further reduce cost when the camera or sun isn't moving significantly. Cloud shadow quality at low sun angles was also improved by compressing the available space in the shadow map to allow for more details around the camera. Additionally, a few long-standing issues with cloud rendering have been fixed. For example, the ghost lines on clouds that were occasionally visible when looking at them and towards the virtual planet horizon were fixed, and the setup of LOD constants for cloud-shaping-related texture lookups was updated to avoid excessive blurring when rendering clouds at half resolution.
Lastly, work on ground fog resulted in various optimizations as well as a fix for subsample-sized holes in planet terrain height maps. These height maps are used for various purposes, such as building planet terrain shadows or spawning GPU particles on the ground. The latter was especially subject to those holes as they could cause infrequently erratic spawning of particles.
Looking forward, work on the new temporal cloud render mode will commence in November.

VFX

Last month, the VFX team continued working on several cutscenes alongside the Cinematics team. They also continued polishing effects for various locations, some of which were revealed at CitizenCon.
Several improvements were made to existing weapon and gadget effects, while dynamic fire effects were polished for Squadron 42 and a future Star Citizen patch release.

Last edited:

calistan

Here you can see the resource network and engineering gameplay.
--------------------------------

That's insane. I had enough trouble figuring out how not to die while walking to the hangar, but now they've got ships with electrical systems that can be knocked out by a single blown fuse, and equipment that needs to be *dusted* to keep it in good condition. The instruction manual is going to be enormous (or more likely non-existent).

WitchHunter

Banned
I'm starting to worry StarCitizen is some unknown agency's project to get funds from people for whatever and giving back some fantasy without steltek guns. Seems like the same scheme Nvidia used to funnel money into AI while people are spoiled with things like more fps, dlss, raybonkers and the like.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Some of these guys are really talented for making videos

Also Digital Foundry clip talking about Citizencon

Alex will likely make a video when Vulkan hits and perhaps even a video of him and John exploring, John being the newbie. Should be a fun watch eventually.

i might join them on this. Last time Alex did these videos, i provides him with some videos and the second videos we were playing with him and our group (he is part of the Org) for the DF video.

----------------

Few of my latest shots:

53310009642_8cae83c44b_o.png

53310689757_432d540e9f_o.png

53312071617_99e698dbaa_o.png

53316021400_79406190e4_o.png

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

LiquidMetal14

It just reminds me, bunny, if you guys are on discord or something like that and I happen to be on the event or decide to buy the game with the time I don't have with kids lol.

I'd be down to be giving some tutorials or help as I would rather use voice chat. Just that people don't seem to like that as much or they are shy. Fuck 'em lol

Buggy Loop

IAE 2953 will be in New Babbage this year. You just fly to this location on the LIVE PU server and enter the exhibition halls and look at the ships. They will put new ships on display every (other?) day. You can go in and look at them and also "rent" them to fly for free. It will then just show up in your hangar / ship list for 24 hours (?).

And all free trial players on the server too? Must be a chaotic week. Never participated in IAE, will be interesting.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
By the way, how does IAE work? They have a special server for it and they let players drive test any ships?
It will be on LIVE servers soon. Just enter PU and find Expo Hall (presumably on Microtech this time). Go there (it's cool as fuck) and you can borrow any ship for free. There will be in-game signs where to go to find Expo Hall, however everyone will get there differently. It's hilarious when you see a 30+ parked ships near by :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And all free trial players on the server too? Must be a chaotic week. Never participated in IAE, will be interesting.

Join us in New Babbage for Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2953, the biggest ship show in the ‘verse. In honor of the galaxy's premier aerospace event, Star Citizen will be FREE TO PLAY from November 17 to 30. Head to the expo for all of this and more:

• Test-fly over 100 spaceships and vehicles for free
  • New vehicle announcements
  • Special-edition vehicle paints and in-game items
See you there!

sc-branding-iae2953-web-schedule-4x3-4k.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom