• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U - info dissection and speculation

hatchx

Banned
452px-Starfox_team_logo.svg.png

In lieu of the recent Zelda delay, it looks as if Star Fox might be the big 1st-party nintendo exclusive this holiday. I'm pretty damn excited about it, and I figured I'd make a thread to catch everyone up on what we know and let Star Fox speculation run rampant.

edit- thanks Shikamaru Ninja for some additional info.

DEVELOPMENT

Miyamoto said:
We originally began working with Star Fox back on Wii, and we had a small group of people experimenting with it for many years, maybe about six years, but we didn’t find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It’s been maybe 6 to 10 months that we’ve been experimenting with it.

Nintendo hasn't really developed an in-house Star Fox since Star Fox 64 in 1997. Star Fox Assault was developed by Namco, and although Nintendo EAD handled production on Star Fox Command, the main development was done by Q-Games. Takaya Imamura, the character creator of Star Fox, is the game director, which Miyamoto producing alongside Tadashi Sugiyama.

It's unknown just how much of the Starfox prototype for Wii is translating over to Wii U, and according to Wikipedia, it's been in development by Nintendo EAD Group 5, which AFAIK is a team managed by Miyamoto that tests prototypes and ideas. They are also responsible for Wii Fit and Steel Divers.

Star Fox on WiiU began it's prototype-phase development at the same time as two other projects : Project Giant Robot and Project Guard.

Miyamoto said:
This is a game that we've developed internally up until now, but because we do want to bring this to market very soon, we are looking at some potential partner companies that we can team up with.

As of now, information on development for Star Fox has been extremely sparse. We aren't sure if Nintendo is working with an external developer or if they are handling it entirely in-house. There has been some baseless speculation that Retro Studios could be helping with development, but I wonder if working between continents is the best approach for a game with such a quick development cycle.

E3 DEMO

Miyamoto said:
I wanted to motivate ourselves to complete the game as quickly as possible, so we decided to bring it here to E3 and announce it to give us that motivation

Images of Miyamoto playing Star Fox WiiU leaked prior to Nintendo's Digital Event last E3, and officially announced the day of.

Journalists got their hands on a short demo behind closed doors. The demo was broken into three 'sections' called Arwing, VS Wolf, and City, as can be seen on the demo screen.

The demo journalists played had them controlling an Arwing in all-range mode using the left-analog stick, with the gamepad displaying a first-person view from within the cockpit. You can move your gamepad around to aim at enemies.

USA TODAY said:

So it sounds as if the second analog will come into play for aiming as well as gyro controls. As cumbersome as it may sound at first, previews made it sound intuitive.

USA TODAY said:
It takes a moment to adjust, because first instinct is to look solely at the GamePad. But taking down enemy fighters and tanks was much easier when I used both the TV and GamePad screen.

GAMESPOT said:
Since the game is early, finding and tracking enemies can be a little difficult, but piloting feels great. You have a level of aiming precision that feels comparable to the VR flight sim EVE Valkyrie. In a dogfight against Wolf, at least when I was able to track him down, the flight controls offered quick turns and the ability to easily maneuver around the game's battlefield.

The E3 demo also showcased the Arwing transforming into a tank. In the demo, this was apparently done by pressing down the right analog, and you could move and aim with the gamepad similar to the arwing.

There was also a third helicopter-like vehicle shown, but rather than using the second analog to aim, it was used to control height. This time, clicking the right analog stick dropped a tethered robot. Miyamoto also let it slip that you might drop the Robot into buildings. It doesn't sound like any journalists tried this mode.

Miyamoto said:
We'll be able to design it in ways that you're still flying the ship on the TV screen, but simultaneously piloting the robot inside buildings and things like that down below.

I am not sure which of the three sections featured what, but it sounds like they may have just been different maps. From what I can tell, journalists only played the Arwing in a controlled environment, while helicopter was shown by Miyamoto.

PROJECT GIANT ROBOT

A demo named Project Giant Robot had you create a Robot, and thrown into a city arena to fight off other robots. You can aim your robot torso with the gamepad, and throw left and right bunch with the analog sticks.

The game sounds interesting, although I wonder how well the hit detection will work, and if I'll be able to truly dodge attacks with the robot's movement or if it's just for show. I also wonder if I'll be able to throw dynamic punches, uppercuts, and jabs with each hand, and how that factors in. I'm optimistic based on some impressions.

NINTENDO LIFE said:
What we played of Project Giant Robot was undeniably simple, but it was also incredibly appealing. Part of the fun came from getting to grips with the unique controls; our robot felt a bit unwieldy when we first picked up the GamePad, but it didn’t take long to click, and by the end of the first stage we felt like we were really piloting the mech. It’s intuitive in a way that sets it apart from alternative, otherwise-excellent giant robot games like Virtual On, and the slow, deliberate pace makes movement manageable and comical at the same time — we couldn’t help but smile while watching our robot waddle its way to victory.

Here is the treehouse demo, which gives a good look at the create-a-robot and how ridiculous it gets. It looks fun, although it sounds like it wouldn't work for local multiplayer.

At the recent investor meeting, Nintendo showed a slide where Project Giant Robot had it's own logo and placement. It leads me to believe Project Giant Robot will become it's own game.

lZzeqhN.png

PROJECT GUARD

Project Guard was shown as a tech demo that gives you 12 security camera views of a base. You can take control of one of the cameras at a time and aim and shoot at oncoming enemies. Here is a gameplay demo that shows how it plays.

The interesting thing about the demo is that you can only see the enemies on the TV, yet you need to tape the cameras on the gamepad to change. It sounds like a true test of coordination, and somewhat needlessly as changing cameras on the TV with the D-Pad seems like it'd be far easier. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Miyamoto said:
Project Guard was one that we actually began experimenting on back in the Nintendo 64 era, around the time that we were doing things with the original Luigi’s Mansion. But on the N64, we didn’t have enough processing power to bring the game to life. So we set it aside, and then we came back to it on Wii U, and particularly with the Wii U GamePad, it made the interface much more intuitive. So we decided to then bring that project back to life on Wii U. We didn’t take into account any current genres in designing the game.

So when we were actually trying to think up a genre name for Project Guard, what we decided on was just that it’s a new genre. With every game we think about how to describe it, but in the case of Project Guard, we decided this is a new genre.

There was a Star Fox logo found in Project Guard, and this has lead to some speculation.

NINTENDO WORLD REPORT said:

Interesting to note that, as of Nintendo's last financial report, both Project Guard and Project Robot were listed as individual games.

It's quite curious what will happen with Project Giant Robot and Project Guard. Will they be eShop games? Will they appear as missions in Star Fox Wii U? Will they completely disappear?

I'm also a little curious why Nintendo showed these two demos to the public, and kept Star Fox behind closed doors. I'd speculate that it was because they didn't want people nit-picking the graphics in Star Fox. Apparently it was quite ugly.

KOTAKU said:
Miyamoto's E3 demos are usually very polished, but the Starfox demo was aesthetically quite rough, sporting unvarnished art that was more functional than pretty. The cockpit view's displays for speed and altitude and even the lines defining the shape of the glass canopy were simple enough to look like "programmer art".

Although I'm not too worried, as the presentation in Miyamoto's games have a way of coming together in the final stages.

Miyamoto said:
The way that I design games, I start by experimenting with a lot of different assets and play styles. And then, once we have all that laid out and understood, then we go into full development and begin building the graphics around them.

MULTIPLE CONTROL OPTIONS

As limited as the Star Fox demo was, Miyamoto actually said a lot about the game. He revealed so much, in fact, I'm kind of curious if it will all make it.

Some good news is that there sounds like a lot of options for controls! You won't need to look down at the gamepad if you don't want:

Miyamoto said:
You’ll also be able to press a button to switch the view from one screen to the other. So you could play with the cockpit view on the TV and the fighter view down on the GamePad screen if you feel like that’s a better way to play.

Word on the street is that motion controls can be turned off and on.

GAME INFORMER said:
Nintendo is planning on bringing Fox Mcloud out of retirement for a new entry on the Wii U. Fox will be able to fly his Arwing and seamlessly transform into a tank during certainn sequences. Pilots can control the game either with their GamePad’s analog sticks or motion control. The game was very early in development and looked admittedly rough the last we saw of it, but we’re hoping Fox gets the new, grand adventure he deserves.

According to at an article at Design&Trend, there will even be options for Wii remote gameplay.

Like a classic Miyamoto game, it sounds like it's been designed around the control interface first. I've never been one to shy away from new control inputs, so I'm quite excited to get my hands on Star Fox and try everything out. There will be lots of different ways to play.

CLASSIC ON-RAILS MISSIONS

Or 'Valley' missions, whatever that means. Kotaku seemed to interpret that as classic on-rails missions.

It doesn't really confirm on-rails missions, and I wouldn't be surprised if 'valley missions' just means all-range mode in a much bigger area where you need to travel between locations. This would contrast the arena missions that may take place in a singular battlefield.

Still, I'd be ecstatic with some on-rails missions to mix it up.

CO-OPERATIVE GAMEPLAY

Co-operative gameplay is one of the most exciting prospect for me. With one player flying and the other shooting, communication will be necessary. It also leads me to believe the Classic Controller Pro is all-but-confirmed.

Miyamoto said:
"We're still developing the game... but one thing we always like to try to do is have some sort of way for people to play together, and the thing about these types of space shooter games is that they're fairly easy to get into but they can look somewhat intimidating and complicated, so this time what we're doing is we actually have a mode—we just didn't show it—we've designed it so there's the ability for cooperative play where one player is able to pilot the ship and the other player is able to use the GamePad and be the gunner. So they can just aim and shoot. They don't have to worry about flying."

Sounds like you may also be able to use the Helicopter for co-op, where one player looks out below.

Miyamoto said:
In the case of the Arwing spaceship, if you have two pilots, they’re most likely going to be sitting front-to-back, and you’ll have one piloting, the other able to look around. When you have someone piloting but someone else who can look around, what’s most beneficial to the person who’s looking around is the ability to look down below. In designing the Arwing we couldn’t quite think of a good way to have to redesign it so you’d have one player who could look down below. Thus we decided to create the helicopter.

Sounds like co-operative gameplay will play a huge part in Star Fox U. It may even be required for certain missions. However, they havn't made any mention of allowing two players to simultaneously control separate arwings.

CUTSCENES AND STORY

We don't have many details, but it sounds like Falco, Slippy, and Peppy are back in the codec-style calls.

It's also worth noting that during cut-scenes, the second gamepad screen will be used in some fashion.

Miyamoto said:
If there's an event scene or cinema scene—because you've got your cockpit view that's reserved for you—the event could be playing out on the TV and you've got a different view of that. So we'll be able to take advantage of [you] being able to feel more like you're part of the event that's happening because of your ability to look around with that second screen.

I would imagine Fox's team will appear on the bottom screen for chatter, keeping the HUD on the TV completely clean. The very fact that there's cutscenes (and most-likely voice acting) leads me to believe this is a more ambitious effort than many would believe.

EPISODIC NATURE

Miyamoto has let some interesting comments slip that suggests Star Fox may be released in an episodic structure, but exactly what he means by that is up for speculation.

Honestly I don’t have a clear idea myself yet, but one thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.

Miyamoto said:
We're in an era when people have a limited amount of time… to play these long story-based games, so there will be a story for the game, but you'll be able to choose the missions you want to play.

Whether or not this means Star Fox will be released in an episodic nature, or the game will be broken into separate missions, well that's again up to speculation, which leads me to the final section:

SPECULATION

Here are some of my thoughts based on what I've read, and maybe some points of discussion for the thread.

-Project Giant Robot doesn't seem to fit into the Star Fox tone or aesthetic. It's looks silly and hard to picture in Fox McCloud universe. It's the type of quick gameplay that would make a strong standalone eShop release. I also figure it'd be a popular multiplayer game but due to the gamepad controls could only be played with others online. I can't imagine a side-mode in Star Fox having dedicated servers or leaderboards.

-As for Project Guard, I would suspect it will be integrated into Star Fox U as a mission or side-series of missions. It sounds like an interesting distraction, but not enough depth for a standalone release.

-I imagine Star Fox U's story won't be tied in any linear fashion, and my guess is most (if not all) of the missions will be unlocked from the beginning. Perhaps each mission will have difficulty settings.

-Star Fox has always been score based, but this one will be more score-focused than before. High scores may even unlock new missions. This will give the game much more replayability.

-I have a sinking suspicion there will be no form of online play or competitive multiplayer. There just isn't enough development time, and it sounds like local co-op multiplayer will be the focus. I'll be really surprised if there is competitive online multiplayer, but leaderboards/miiverse support is probably going to happen.

-Seeing as Star Fox will be broken into multiple style missions with varied controls and vehicles, it may be possible different parts of the game are outsourced to different developers. It's possible if a western developer such as Retro was involved, they could be creating specifically the on-rails missions where a team at EAD focuses on the more unique all-range modes.

-I anticipate the game will be episodic in some form through DLC. It sounds like the core setup is game development playground for Miyamoto where they can introduce lots of new ideas. I find that extremely exciting, and it sounds like this game can go anywhere.

-Star Fox Universe sounds like an appropriate name for the varied nature of the game, and the 'U' of course.

CONCLUSION

What are your thoughts on Star Fox U? What do you think it will end up being? Do you see this as a title that can be positioned as WiiU's big November title? Let me know what you think of the thread, this is my first longer, in-depth post here, so let me know how I can improve in style or formatting.

Fox is back people! Get excite!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Unlike most people I actually want an evolution of Assault - i.e. its true potential. Assault had a lot great potential bogged down by being rushed and being based as an arcade game. If it was super polished with the idea of being a console game, it'd be great.

KAP151

That first level of the Namco Starfox game on Cube started off really well. Pity it went to shit pretty much from there.

Keep it in the Arwings, with the occasional tank mission. No on foot stuff, ever.

Im sure they could come up with some sweet ideas using the WiiU pad.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems like Giant Robo and Guard could both very well be incorporated into Star Fox...

For Project Guard, seems like you could probably incorporate missions where you have to use the GamePad screen to track what the rest of your team is doing, maybe give out orders on the fly?

And for Giant Robo, well, I admit it'd be pretty sweet if the Arwings can combine into a giant robot and fight against a bad guy's giant robot.

Anth0ny

Great OP. Star Fox might be my game of the show at E3 now that Zelda ain't showing up. Excited to see it in action.

Not only has Nintendo not developed a Star Fox since Star Fox 64, but that was also the ONLY Star Fox they ever developed. Star Fox 1 and 2 were developed by Argonaut. In fact, saying Nintendo developed Star Fox 64 is a stretch. I've only barely played the unreleased Star Fox 2 but it's my understanding that that game was canceled even though it was basically finished and most of the work done on that game was later reused for Star Fox 64. In other words, Star Fox Wii U is really the first Star Fox game that Nintendo proper is developing.

Ants

Star Fox 64 is my favorite game of all time (though sometimes The Wonderful 101 fights it for that position). If we get a rehash of Star Fox 64 I'll be pleased as punch to throw dollars at it.

I don't trust Miyamoto to make good games, anymore, though.

NateDrake

Not only has Nintendo not developed a Star Fox since Star Fox 64, but that was also the ONLY Star Fox they ever developed. Star Fox 1 and 2 were developed by Argonaut. In fact, saying Nintendo developed Star Fox 64 is a stretch. I've only barely played the unreleased Star Fox 2 but it's my understanding that that game was canceled even though it was basically finished and most of the work done on that game was later reused for Star Fox 64. In other words, Star Fox Wii U is really the first Star Fox game that Nintendo proper is developing.

Ideas of Star Fox 2 was used in Star Fox Command. I believe 30% of Star Fox 2 was used in Star Fox 64, in some way, since Cuthbert & other members went from finishing SF2 right to SF64 development.

Nice thread. I'd heard about all this but hadn't seen images from those prototypes. Here's hoping the multiplayer can successfully incorporate all this and still be on par with Assault's.

Yeah. Not expecting this to be the huge Wii-U redeeming game that a lot of folks seem to think it will be.

Are there really a lot of people who've said this? I click on any Star Fox thread I see and have never heard anything remotely close to this.

I have some HUGE expectations for the game now zelda is gone. Open space 3rd person, online dogfights, deep story mode, rpg build a arwing mechanics, amiibooooos!

Boss Doggie

FYI "keep it in arwings" is a terrible reasoning that shows people unable to see flaws of a game and blame it on something else.

You know what game kept the characters in Arwings? Command. And it was terrible. What's next, blaming Krystal for terrible games?

See Kid Icarus Uprising for actually showing that "sticking to formula" isn't always a good thing - it actually tried to shake things up and does it in spades.

Yeah. Not expecting this to be the huge Wii-U redeeming game that a lot of folks seem to think it will be.

Didn't they say it'd be small tidbits ala an episodic game?

I'm not keeping my hopes up. There's a lot I want from a star fox game, but I know I won't get it.

I agree with OP, Project Gaurd feels like something that will be integrated within Star Fox U.

The only thing I'm really hoping for is that they go for that puppet style other gaffers mentioned in previous threads.

Unlike most people I actually want an evolution of Assault - i.e. its true potential. Assault had a lot great potential bogged down by being rushed and being based as an arcade game. If it was super polished with the idea of being a console game, it'd be great.
I want this too. I loved the variety that on-foot missions provided. It felt like the natural progression of the series and made it feel less like an arcade game and more fleshed out and more "involved." Even though Assault wasn't very polished, going back to the SF64 formula would feel like a step back. Similar to the way a lot of people feel about going from Galaxy to 3D World. I'll be cool either way, but I'm in love with the potential of a better version of Assault and it sucks that it probably won't happen.

hatchx

Banned
I highly, highly doubt we'll see Fox on foot. This game isn't going to be a TPS, it's going to be a vehicular action game. Let's accept that fact.

And show some faith. This game doesn't sound like it's being made for casuals. The co-op gameplay sounds extremely exciting.

Vashzaron

I'd also prefer this. Personally as a kid who owned Star Fox 64 to then years later playing Assault, I enjoyed and played the later much more.
That's not even counting Multiplayer. Assault's was a great step up.

amnesiac

Are there really a lot of people who've said this? I click on any Star Fox thread I see and have never heard anything remotely close to this.

In the Zelda delay thread people were like "at least we have Starfox to fill the hole" but I'm not really sure it will.

I really hope it does though! If they could make a game as great as SF64 was back in the day, I'd be all over it.

Boss Doggie

Again, why are people saying "lol arwings only" as though it has connections to quality.

Are you seriously telling me Command is better than Assault by that virtue?

Oreoleo

Again, why are people saying "lol arwings only" as though it has connections to quality.

Are you seriously telling me Command is better than Assault by that virtue?

Command didn't have on-rails levels. Not that hard to figure out.

The second Fox is out of an Arwing in gameplay I'm off board with this.
If there are no on foot missions I don't want it. So we will see what happens

Proof positive that whatever game they make, someone is going to be upset about it.

TDLink

I wouldn't be against having a game (as you speculate) in which the levels were broken up into missions that you could pick at will. This way you don't have to always do Corneria every run or whatever just to get to the level(s) you want to play. Just so long as there are lots of Arwing levels then it's fine with me. I don't mind the minigame stuff or other vehicle stuff either, again, as long as there are many Arwing levels.

For the record I think the on foot stuff in Assault worked very well in multiplayer (the multiplayer in that game in general is great), just not so much for single player. Ideally they would build on Assault's multiplayer for multiplayer in this game, while sticking more to the basics (perhaps with these minigames as well) for the single player stuff.

What I don't want is being forced to play the minigames in order to play the traditional Star Fox levels. I'm sort of okay with it in order to unlock more traditional levels (if they are indeed in a "select what you want to play" sort of set up). I agree this speculated set up lends itself easily to DLC (or episodic release) as well.

ReyVGM

It's a blessing and a curse having to be a genius all the time.

I just want a "regular" Star Fox game.

I have a feeling this entry in the series might end up having a dramatically different art direction than previous games. It seems odd that Nintendo would make a game with a realistic, sci-fi setting in such a short amount of time, with such a small team even. They've only just gotten the hang of HD development.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went with something like celshading for the final product because of this, it'd help them keep development costs and time lower. That could also be why so little has been shown yet - they're still finalizing the new look. Not that I'd mind though. I was one of the people that liked Wind Waker since the very first, controversial reveal.

Anyway, my purchase of this game rests entirely on whether or not it has online multiplayer or not. Star Fox games are typically too short for me to justify $60 anymore. But a robust online multiplayer mode would make the game last potentially years for me, making it more than worth the cost.

TreIII

I highly, highly doubt we'll see Fox on foot. This game isn't going to be a TPS, it's going to be a vehicular action game. Let's accept that fact.

And show some faith. This game doesn't sound like it's being made for casuals. The co-op gameplay sounds extremely exciting.

If it was all vehicles, that actually would make me feel much, much better.

Arwings, Tanks, Submarines, and possibly more. Frankly, that would speak to me more than trying to force TPS gameplay into StarFox.

virtualS

I just want an epic on-rails Nintendo made space shooter with a stellar soundtrack.

What we'll probably get is a cute puppet space opera with innovative dual perspective motion control.

hatchx

Banned
If it was all vehicles, that actually would make me feel much, much better.

Arwings, Tanks, Submarines, and possibly more. Frankly, that would speak to me more than trying to force TPS gameplay into StarFox.

Well so far we have Arwings, Tanks and a Helicopter with a tethered robot.

Sounds like the Arwing can instantly turn into the tank, so that basically confirms no on-foot gameplay (which controlled like a tank in Assault anyways).

I'm really shocked at all the 'on-foot' comments. It's not gonna happen. They aren't going to create an engine and animations for that.

Yeah, I'd like a more refined take on Assault's formula as well. Mainly because it has one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time.

But I wouldn't mind an episodic flight-focused game. What we're hearing of the main gameplay so far sounds great - flight-independent aiming and gyro aiming? Fuck yes.

Boss Doggie

Command didn't have on-rails levels. Not that hard to figure out.

Proof positive that whatever game they make, someone is going to be upset about it.

And Assault has. And yet people argue "muh arwings" rather than "muh on-rails".

It's as bad as people thinking Krystal ruined the franchise (an alternative is that furries ruined the franchise, as apparently furries didn't exist before). I hate Krystal too but I am not as insane as to think like that.

Well so far we have Arwings, Tanks and a Helicopter with a tethered robot.

Sounds like the Arwing can instantly turn into the tank, so that basically confirms no on-foot gameplay (which controlled like a tank in Assault anyways).

I'm really shocked at all the 'on-foot' comments. It's not gonna happen. They aren't going to create an engine and animations for that.
Shocked? Seriously?

I just finally watched a playthrough of Star Fox 2 and there are some ideas there that have yet to be implemented that would be perfect for Wii U

hatchx

Banned
Shocked? Seriously?

Yeah I remember when Assault came out people dreaded the on-foot stuff, and IMO it sort of ruined the game. It also ruined Rogue Squadron:Rebel Strike. Two Gamecube space combat games ruined by devs trying to fit in on-foot controls.

Do you want foot controls in Ace Combat too?

It's just a whole different can of worms to make the game around on-foot gameplay. This is starfox not battlefield.

I just realized that the Star Fox logo is a fox with wings. I could never figure out what that other appendage was.

image.php

As for Star Fox U, I just want to shoot stuff in an Arwing or in a tank or some other vehicle. Give me that and a lot of action and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom