• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U - info dissection and speculation

Phocks

They're all one game. The Arwing can transform into a humanoid mech and battle enemies and large bosses in some missions :).
Thats what I thought and hope. Having the arwing do everything like in 2 would be less trouble than having seperate machines for everything like in Assault.

Azure J

Again, why are people saying "lol arwings only" as though it has connections to quality.

Are you seriously telling me Command is better than Assault by that virtue?

I've been agreeing with your posts so far on the matter, but people give into the fear once something on the checklist from a previous "not as awesome" title presents itself in a later title. Especially in series with rocky averages like Star Fox.

ex. Don't tell anyone that the next Sonic game will have level design like Lost World, no matter how fixed or refocused they may be or how his athleticism fits them better.

Kodaman

Thanks Op, lots of info.
Actually I'm more hyped after the read.

I hope Miyamoto throw some crazy ideas in the game.

Hope I'm wrong but I think there's no way this is gonna get a good reception. Here of all places.
The amount of people just wanting Star Fox 64 with shiny graphics is depressing for me.

I'm seeing it right now... people whining about losing "immersion" and having to go to the ophthalmologist for having to look at the TV and the Gamepad.

hatchx

Banned
Additional Notes for OP

• Star Fox U is produced by EAD Group No. 5. Just like Star Fox 64 3D. "Comprehensive Group" is incorrect.
  • Takaya Imamura, the character creator of Star Fox, is the game director.
  • Project Giant Robot might be its own game. It recently had a logo update and exclusively mentioned by Iwata as a product.
  • This seems like a significant project. I could see EAD additionally contracting Ganbarion for the on-rail missions, and another company to produce the cinematic work.
  • Online multiplayer?

OP updated, thanks!

I don't know what our chances of online multiplayer are with such a short development time and Miyamoto at the helm (has he ever designed a game with online multiplayer?).

The only thing I could see is some simple dogfights similar to SF64 3D. There certainly was a lot of backlash about lacking competitive online in that game, so I guess it's possible for Star Fox U. It may even be possible that an online dog fight mode is one of the things outsourced.

Gilby

Just ignore the horrible character (re)designs Rare did post 64. This goes for all of Rare's stuff, not just Starfox. They really had terrible character designs for everything they've made, their design process seemed to be "lets put googley eyes on it",

MagnesD3

This title is my most anticipated game this year, Im very worried Nintendo will screw star fox over but maybe they will finally make a proper sequel to SF64. I also hope they go for a more realistic art style like adventures/assault instead of that terrible command look.

Toparaman

Banned
I know they won't because it would be commercial suicide, but it would be so great if they went with graphics that looked kind of like puppets.

2663323-9207117267-22008.jpg

I used to love looking at that original starfox box cover. They seemed so much more detailed that the airbrush art that was common on all other box arts at the time.

I'm pretty sure they went with the puppet styled art for the box because they must have gotten a lot of influence for starfox from a show called X-Bomber. For starfox 64 the great fox ship must be based on the ship from X-Bomber. They are practically identical.
Check it out

http://youtu.be/XD-9NZsYCQw

I don't know about X-Bomber, but Miyamoto cited Thunderbirds as an inspiration.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Just ignore the horrible character (re)designs Rare did post 64. This goes for all of Rare's stuff, not just Starfox. They really had terrible character designs for everything they've made, their design process seemed to be "lets put googley eyes on it",

but there's no "Rare" design. Hell, Adventures is the only game they handled and they look so un-Rare as possible.

I honestly can't believe the love Starfox 64's multiplayer is getting. Did you guys even play Assault or did you just hear it had on-foot and decide to hate it? It's multiplayer is FAR superior to 64's

Pizza

I want the Starfox gang to have stop motion puppet-looking animation in the style of Fox and Falco from smash bros melee: put a really good hd coat of paint on the 64 designs and throw in a handful of the snes boxart.

I'd be so in.

Boss Doggie

I want the Starfox gang to have stop motion puppet-looking animation in the style of Fox and Falco from smash bros melee: put a really good hd coat of paint on the 64 designs and throw in a handful of the snes boxart.

I'd be so in.

That's not really an easy task. Also I'd argue the 64 designs don't lend themselves well in HD.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd like to be hyped, but I'm torned between:

hoping to see it delayed to create a full project, compelling to its older legacy
hoping to see it released this year to fill the Zelda void

I don't think that it would be possible to have both aspects, unless they really are development magicians (or decide to make it episodic like Revelations 2, but with a longer gap in between the release of each episode)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I honestly can't believe the love Starfox 64's multiplayer is getting. Did you guys even play Assault or did you just hear it had on-foot and decide to hate it? It's multiplayer is FAR superior to 64's

I played Assault multiplayer and didn't like it at all. Pure dogfighting with planes (and/or tanks) in 64 is a much better, and less muddled gameplay experience, IMO.

Kyzer

Banned
I think we can agree multiplayer sucked on all starfox games. Assault was really the only playable one and it wasn't very fun

KHlover

Banned
Unlike most people I actually want an evolution of Assault - i.e. its true potential. Assault had a lot great potential bogged down by being rushed and being based as an arcade game. If it was super polished with the idea of being a console game, it'd be great.
Agreed. Assault was diamond in the rough and I'd like to see more of it. Especially the multiplayer. Both the dogfights in space and the ground maps with vehicles made for some excellent evenings with friends.

Boss Doggie

I think we can agree multiplayer sucked on all starfox games. Assault was really the only playable one and it wasn't very fun

Eh I disagree. Never had much fun with my friends when playing SF before. It's just hilarious in a strange way.

I played Assault multiplayer and didn't like it at all. Pure dogfighting with planes (and/or tanks) in 64 is a much better, and less muddled gameplay experience, IMO.

It doesn't really make a good multiplayer material tbqh, since it feels like just an empty all range mode.

At least Assault had great options and a nice build to go on. That's why I'm hoping they would eventually build it up.

Also apparently it had a tourney scene before.

These days a full on-rail shooter has no place in the retail market. While the Arwing sessions should remain the game needs ground parts that do not suck.

Basically a reskinned Kid Icarus Uprising

These days a full on-rail shooter has no place in the retail market. While the Arwing sessions should remain the game needs ground parts that do not suck.

Basically a reskinned Kid Icarus Uprising
Star Fox Assault's main problem for me was that the ground sections were messy.
If they rework them, then I will be ok with it.

Boney

Banned
I hope there's a 4 vs 4 multiplayer. Dog fights need to be team based to be more engaging. That's the biggest problem with 64 versus

Yeah, there's nothing inherently bad about ground sections...I mean we've had ground based third person shooters for decades now. Just because there hasn't been particular good ones in rail shooters doesn't mean they're some unsolved gameplay type. Unless you guys believe Nintendo EAD aren't capable of making a good ground mode...

Formless

I'm not feeling great about this. I don't really see Nintendo going back to SF64 style gameplay/heavily scripted levels.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Assault's Multilayer wasn't deep or competitive, but I had a lot of fun with it because how wacky it was...

Nothing beats placing a giant bomb on an Arwing, flying it through the air, and then jumping out as the plane flies out of control and explodes. Or sniping a cartoon rabbit from a distance as it bounces away. It was just a lot of stupid fun for me and my brother.

I know they won't because it would be commercial suicide, but it would be so great if they went with graphics that looked kind of like puppets.

2663323-9207117267-22008.jpg

I used to love looking at that original starfox box cover. They seemed so much more detailed that the airbrush art that was common on all other box arts at the time.

I'm pretty sure they went with the puppet styled art for the box because they must have gotten a lot of influence for starfox from a show called X-Bomber. For starfox 64 the great fox ship must be based on the ship from X-Bomber. They are practically identical.
Check it out

http://youtu.be/XD-9NZsYCQw

It's a Starfox game, they clearly don't care about commercial suicide.

hatchx

Banned
Anyone know how long this has been in production?

They were toying with concepts for the better part of a decade on wii, and development began 6-10 months prior to last e3. So, as of this e3, 18-22months. By the time of release (theoretical November), 26 months.

Assault's Multilayer wasn't deep or competitive, but I had a lot of fun with it because how wacky it was...

Nothing beats placing a giant bomb on an Arwing, flying it through the air, and then jumping out as the plane flies out of control and explodes. Or sniping a cartoon rabbit from a distance as it bounces away. It was just a lot of stupid fun for me and my brother.

If you were able to compete with people...it was competitive...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If you were able to compete with people...it was competitive...

Well, yeah, technically, but I remember the game really being pretty casual and allowing you to just goof-off. Honestly, it felt like Smash Brothers as an FPS. I really hope Splatoon offers that same type of feeling as well, because I don't really have any interest in straight up "I win, you lose!" FPS games that are the norm.

Exile20

They were toying with concepts for the better part of a decade on wii, and development began 6-10 months prior to last e3. So, as of this e3, 18-22months. By the time of release (theoretical November), 26 months.

Over two years is a good amount of time. Not seeing it last e3 tho makes me wonder what state it was in.

hatchx

Banned
Over two years is a good amount of time. Not seeing it last e3 tho makes me wonder what state it was in.

Well, they said the 6-10 months before last e3 was experimenting, which to me means they locked the concept and controls. At the very least it was playable by journalists at e3, and I think they refrained from showing us anything because Miyamoto's game get their graphical polish later.

I really don't expect Star Fox to launch as a meaty game this fall. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial game is as small as 8 missions, with weekly or monthly mission packs.

It's why I'm so excited to see it at e3 and why I made this thread. It seems like this is the most experimental (and hands-on) Miyamoto has been with a game in a long time.

Peltz

Additional Notes for OP

• Star Fox U is produced by EAD Group No. 5. Just like Star Fox 64 3D. "Comprehensive Group" is incorrect.
  • Takaya Imamura, the character creator of Star Fox, is the game director.

Holy shit. My level of interest went just went from a 5 to a 10 with these two bullets.

rawktapus

Eh I disagree. Never had much fun with my friends when playing SF before. It's just hilarious in a strange way.

It doesn't really make a good multiplayer material tbqh, since it feels like just an empty all range mode.

At least Assault had great options and a nice build to go on. That's why I'm hoping they would eventually build it up.

Also apparently it had a tourney scene before.

My friends and I used to play with sniper rifles only on the Dinosaur Planet map. It gave melee a run for it's money with how much enjoyment we got out of that one mode.

I wonder if the "Robot" that drops from the helicopter will be a pilot in the final game. Having the on-foot parts be inside buildings could help create the rails-like momentum that the open-ended foot missions in Star Fox Assault was lacking.

My friends and I used to play with sniper rifles only on the Dinosaur Planet map. It gave melee a run for it's money with how much enjoyment we got out of that one mode.

It had a plethora of options and it's kind of crazy so much went into that game mode. You had Smash Bros. levels of unlockables

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've said it before and people like to say I'm stupid, but all I want is plain old original/64 style on rails/all range mode flying missions, a couple tank missions, I'd even take a well done submarine mission, and NO FOOT MISSIONS. Foot missions take me out of the game faster than
playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2. (Shut up, that's not for debate)
I don't want to see my character at any point in a mission. I also don't care at all about multiplayer unless there's a good Mario Kart 8 style jump in/jump out online mission/deathmatch mode I can play casually if I want to. But single-player should be the first priority. It's all I want. All I've wanted since being disappointed with Assault. (Which I loved until I had to play the last level on foot. Fuck.) I'd rather play Star Fox 2 for the rest of my life than a single foot mission. (A game which I don't love, but do appreciate for trying something new at the time. I'd still prefer if it were more like the original.)

Basically take the best of 64 and the original and do it again. Just don't reboot it once again like you keep doing. Also, I guess it's too much to ask for the original composer. The music in the original was far superior to 64. Remixes of the original music, even if just a few levels, would be a great welcome change. Also, put it in the story somehow but have a sort of hidden black hole that you can get sucked into that takes you to a retro SNES SFX style world complete with original Andross cube box. It would make my day so bad. And so hard.

I've said it before and people like to say I'm stupid, but all I want is plain old original/64 style on rails/all range mode flying missions, a couple tank missions, I'd even take a well done submarine mission, and NO FOOT MISSIONS. Foot missions take me out of the game faster than
playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2. (Shut up, that's not for debate)
I don't want to see my character at any point in a mission. I also don't care at all about multiplayer unless there's a good Mario Kart 8 style jump in/jump out online mission/deathmatch mode I can play casually if I want to. But single-player should be the first priority. It's all I want. All I've wanted since being disappointed with Assault. (Which I loved until I had to play the last level on foot. Fuck.) I'd rather play Star Fox 2 for the rest of my life than a single foot mission. (A game which I don't love, but do appreciate for trying something new at the time. I'd still prefer if it were more like the original.)

Basically take the best of 64 and the original and do it again. Just don't reboot it once again like you keep doing. Also, I guess it's too much to ask for the original composer. The music in the original was far superior to 64. Remixes of the original music, even if just a few levels, would be a great welcome change. Also, put it in the story somehow but have a sort of hidden black hole that you can get sucked into that takes you to a retro SNES SFX style world complete with original Andross cube box. It would make my day so bad. And so hard.
You can have on-foot on-rails missions though. Would those have you swear off the game forever

There's simply too much potential for fun, widely appealing gameplay when incorporating on-foot gameplay, as shown in Assault's multiplayer and games like Sin & Punishment

You can have on-foot on-rails missions though. Would those have you swear off the game forever

There's simply too much potential for fun, widely appealing gameplay when incorporating on-foot gameplay, as shown in Assault's multiplayer and games like Sin & Punishment

Or Kid Icarus. That is an effective blend between on-rails shooting sessions and god on foot parts

rawktapus

I kind of hope this is what's implied by Miyamoto's "day time vs evening programming" analogy. Have one full, SF64 campaign that everybody knows and loves, followed by a seperate story that shakes things up. (on-foot missions, project guard, honestly I hope they try a whole ton of ideas.)

I think a traditional star fox campaign that lasts longer than SF64 would get old quickly, so while I don't want to see it gone, I'm more interested in the other ideas they're looking to showcase.

Peltz

I kind of hope this is what's implied by Miyamoto's "day time vs evening programming" analogy. Have one full, SF64 campaign that everybody knows and loves, followed by a seperate story that shakes things up. (on-foot missions, project guard, honestly I hope they try a whole ton of ideas.)

I think a traditional star fox campaign that lasts longer than SF64 would get old quickly, so while I don't want to see it gone, I'm more interested in the other ideas they're looking to showcase.

I see your point. But if they could really nail an online version of "all range mode" that took place entirely in air (like a modern Crimson Skies) I think they could have a really great online shooter on their hands without resorting to traditional TPS gameplay.

Remember, we have Kid Icarus Uprising on 3DS, and now we're getting Splattoon and Devil's Third on Wii U. Do we really need an additional TPS game from Nintendo?

Then again... it would be VERY interesting to see Miyamoto's take on the genre. I will continue to have an open mind as to the best gameplay for this game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I'd have to see it for myself. If it's like S&P it could work. But I don't like free range on foot missions. S&P style would probably work well but I don't think it would really fit the game anyway, but that would remain to be seen. I'd much prefer just sticking to the ships and vehicles. Even the submarine and tank.

Top Bottom