• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U - info dissection and speculation

Peltz

I don't recall seeing anyone say "no on-foot, no buy," and, if they exist, those people are tremendously outnumbered by those saying "on-foot = no buy."

Can't speak for everyone, but it seems there are people who would like a vehicles-only, strictly on-rails Star Fox, but are content with existing SF games that follow that formula as there isn't that much room for improvement compared to the on-foot, vehicle switching gameplay of Assault. Even to many fans of the game, Assault is flawed, and those fans would like to see what it did right built upon in a new game and what it did wrong be corrected. A new SF just like 64 would be, by comparison, a rehash of a good, yet basic formula that didn't need any refinement. Such a game would be a missed opportunity for something potentially greater.

Oh damn... I respectfully disagree with you. There is so much that can be done with a new rail shooter that hasn't been done before. The entire genre has been fairly dormant for a decade.

I'm sure people felt the same way about 3D platformers before Super Mario Galaxy came out. That game was both familiar and totally fresh at the same time. Nintendo shown that they can have a new and unique take on old genres that totally recapture the imagination of their audience. I think there is plenty that they can do with a pure rail shooter that would be a far cry from a "missed opportunity".

In fact, they have far more opportunity to innovate in such a pursuit than they would in developing a 3rd person shooter game with vehicles.

Arttemis

The splitting branches of SF64 are one element to expand upon. I'm not talking about the star system level select (which was superb for creating that arcade feeling and tons of replayability), but instead the mid-mission alternate paths that had notably different outcomes. It really removes the restrictive sense of being on rails.

Splicing rail segments into free range modes seamlessly would be a fantastic addition, as well.

I remember some things have been announced as an April fool's joke, only to get a later confirmation and double reveal. I would love to see that happen with a P* SF game, as their mastery of action could work miracles with this genre.

It would be really awesome if there was online multiplayer, and you could hold down a button on the controller to open a channel to your opponents and used the Wii U controller's camera and microphone to talk to your opponents. Like they'd see your face where you'd normally see the zoo crew's faces, you know?

Probably won't happen though :\

hatchx

Banned
It would be really awesome if there was online multiplayer, and you could hold down a button on the controller to open a channel to your opponents and used the Wii U controller's camera and microphone to talk to your opponents. Like they'd see your face where you'd normally see the zoo crew's faces, you know?

Probably won't happen though :\

Voice chat in a 1st-party Nintendo title? I don't think so.

Although I imagine co-op online battles, where you have two people per Arwing, and maybe have 4 Arwing VS (as in 8 players/2 per Arwing).

I think it'd be a whole new level of intense battles.

I once had a friend jump on top of my arwing during an Assault vs. match. I climbed out and we both started firing at one another from atop the ship as it kept flying on its own. I'm trying to think of a way something similar could happen with strictly vehicle-based gameplay but I'm not coming up with anything.

Well, that is incredibly badass. I imagine the Kayima-made Star Fox would have something like that.

I hope you can use the gamepad to record yourself miming words for five seconds, so that in online multiplayer when you issue a pre set text command it appears in a similar way to how the pilots communicate in single player.

Could be funny.

This game will look beautiful by the way.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well the hour is drawing near for the full unveiling of Star Fox U. I imagine the game is going to be positioned as the dazzling showpiece title of this E3 with the loss of Zelda.

Pizza

I'd only like to see on-foot sections if they were insane. Have team starfox fight like they do in smash and make the walking sections like a character action game. Then they hop in whatever vehicle and the game is more classic starfox.

Assault's slightly-worse-starwarsbattlefront on-foot sections weren't super fun to play. Fox really needs a reason to ditch his rad vehicles. if Nintendo made on-foot sections really cool enough to warrent not being in the arwing then I'll be real happy they're there.

And project guard cOuld be on some W101, gurren lagan shit in starfox. This could also be like a saturday morning cartoon feel kind of game. Picking different episodes or whatever every arwing flying around until its time to face the boss and turn into a megazord!! That would be ballin and the voice acting would fit right in.

Don't play with my heart! I don't know what I'd do with myself if *starfox* got a wonderful 101/gurren lagann ending. Andross is PERFECT for that. The Great Fox combining with the different ships into a huge mech would be too much and I'd die.

AdanVC

I'm plenty sure this game will be Super Mario 3D World-ized. Meaning that it didn't cause a lot of buzz when it was revealed at E3 but once we get closer to release it leave everyone jaw dropped... Fingers crossed for that.

Trevelyan

Banned
Well the hour is drawing near for the full unveiling of Star Fox U. I imagine the game is going to be positioned as the dazzling showpiece title of this E3 with the loss of Zelda.

Shikarmaru, do you have any guesses as to who Nintendo may have got to help them? I would assume Namco since they helped with SSB, and they have Project Aces, so definitely experience when it comes to games where you're piloting an aircraft and shooting enemies.

I've been replaying Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. Is there a better on rails shooter out there? If Star Fox can exceed it my mind will be blown. Of course, they would probably need Treasure or Platinum to do that.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shikarmaru, do you have any guesses as to who Nintendo may have got to help them? I would assume Namco since they helped with SSB, and they have Project Aces, so definitely experience when it comes to games where you're piloting an aircraft and shooting enemies.

I think Zelda's delay actually opened up a lot more EAD resources to work on Star Fox U. I think you will see a lot of small companies work under EAD to finish this game. Ganbarion? Vitei? etc.

I've been replaying Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. Is there a better on rails shooter out there? If Star Fox can exceed it my mind will be blown. Of course, they would probably need Treasure or Platinum to do that.

Kid Icarus Uprising, kinda? Not as good, but it's different enough. And if Star Fox U can beat the flying sections of that at least then it'll be a huge accomplishment really.

Servbot24

Banned

I kind doubt Star Fox will be on rail. That's what people actually want after all. :p

Peltz

I've been replaying Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. Is there a better on rails shooter out there?

japan-10b.jpg

Shiggy

I am surprised they didn't ask Q-Games to work on this given they were responsible for the last two titles. Their partnership seems to have broken up after a number of DSiWare titles and Starfox 64 3D.

I am surprised they didn't ask Q-Games to work on this given they were responsible for the last two titles. Their partnership seems to have broken up after a number of DSiWare titles and Starfox 64 3D.

I remember reading somewhere that Dylan Cuthbert dont want to touch Star Fox anymore
I might be wrong on that one though.

Maggots

Banned
I'm good with everything besides project giant robot. That looked like a slow, boring, no-fun mess.

It was actually pretty fun to play... it does take time to build your robot... but its fun to try different approaches ... big feet gave you better balance but less mobility... Tall made you easier to knock over ... big arms packed a punch but made you wonky it was fun to find a balance and then knock over a bunch of other robots. if there was an online battle mode that would really make it a great game.

Semi-related, but now that we know we're getting more Smash DLC I wonder if they'll be releasing Wolf to coincide with this.

I've seen too many opportunities to release anything coinciding with new games releases slip by with nothing... to expect anything like this... DKCTF came out ... no VC games to go along with it... ALBW came out... no ALTTP on VC for 2 months... every time I think... OH MAN that's PERFECT opportunity to release "________" it never happens... I've stopped expecting stuff like that...

you never know ... they could though... but I doubt it... I don't even think wolf is even coming to smash.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Q-Games is too small to be production muscle. EAD has been using more and more of the usual Tokyo subcontractors to fill out the bottom end of asset production and animation that Platinum/Konami/Koei/Namco/Capcom use nowadays. There is no other way around it for a substantial high definition 3D title.

I imagine EAD is also going to hire a few CG production companies for the cinematics / visual broadcast presentation.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The only way I would want on foot levels is if they were on rails and played out like Sin and Punishment.

And even if they stuck to the above, limit it to one on foot level for each path. But make them awesome as hell. Building's crumbling around you, giant robots lobbing tanks at you, rocket jumping...that kind of thing :)

Just trying to get some understanding from Starfox fans. As I'm reading through the thread, is one of the sacred pillars of a StarFox game that it be on rails? Just curious...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
In terms of a story for the game, Miyamoto said, "We're in an era when people have a limited amount of time… to play these long story-based games, so there will be a story for the game, but you'll be able to choose the missions you want to play." He said there will be arena-like missions and "valley" missions that sound like they're the conventional on-rails missions from the earliest game in the series (Miyamoto).

It sounds like a continuation of Star Fox 64. It will have both on-rail and all-range missions. It will likely have arwing, hovertank, on-foot, helicopter, and maybe submarine missions. It may also feature that Project Guard (although NCL may release it separately).

maxcriden

Might Project Giant Robot be folded in as well, after all?

Then again, if they are still going with an episodic format for the game as they previously hinted at, I wonder if it will be eShop only and then released at retail once all parts are out. I do see it being a significant part of the E3 lineup but I would hope there are other equally big or bigger games they have to show off in terms of hype, because SF is kind of a niche taste these days and it's going to be harder for them tob utile significant E3 buzz with that as the flagship or sole flagship title.

Mainly on rails, yeah, with the occasional all range mode.

I guess my big question is WHY? I played the original Starfox game. Loved it. Eventually when Rogue Squadron and WarHawk came out, I was impressed by where StarFox could eventually go. Even when StarFox adventures came out, I appreciated the potential for an open-world adventure game with spaceships and those characters.

What I don't get is this whole Starfox MUST be on-rails thing? I mean, they designed the old StarFox and figured the rails thing was the best way to push the technology and create a good game around that. Essentially, when it's on rails, we're just getting an amusement park ride...

Isn't Starfox more about the drama/interacting between the furry pilots, the epic boss battles, and the array of interesting environments?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Might Project Giant Robot be folded in as well, after all?

Then again, if they are still going with an episodic format for the game as they previously hinted at, I wonder if it will be eShop only and then released at retail once all parts are out. I do see it being a significant part of the E3 lineup but I would hope there are other equally big or bigger games they have to show off in terms of hype, because SF is kind of a niche taste these days and it's going to be harder for them tob utile significant E3 buzz with that as the flagship or sole flagship title.

The delay of Zelda has changed quite a few things for this Holiday season. Mainly, they have a good deal of production artists available to contribute to Star Fox since Zelda won't be hitting any crunches this Fall. While, initially Miyamoto have figured some type of episodic or subscription model, what we are seeing with Splatoon may influence Star Fox. Retail release, with free continued missions and maps. Then additional paid DLC content and most likely amiibos.

maxcriden

The delay of Zelda has changed quite a few things for this Holiday season. Mainly, they have a good deal of production artists available to contribute to Star Fox since Zelda won't be hitting any crunches this Fall. While, initially Miyamoto have figured some type of episodic or subscription model, what we are seeing with Splatoon may influence Star Fox. Retail release, with free continued missions and maps. Then additional paid DLC content and most likely amiibos.

Ah, yes, that makes sense, thank you. What else are you foreseeing as the major unannounced game to be released this holiday? Surely SF can't be all, I would think. Maybe Paper Mario Wii U or a 3DS up-port of Kid Icarus or Luigi's Mansion?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess my big question is WHY? I played the original Starfox game. Loved it. Eventually when Rogue Squadron and WarHawk came out, I was impressed by where StarFox could eventually go. Even when StarFox adventures came out, I appreciated the potential for an open-world adventure game with spaceships and those characters.

What I don't get is this whole Starfox MUST be on-rails thing? I mean, they designed the old StarFox and figured the rails thing was the best way to push the technology and create a good game around that. Essentially, when it's on rails, we're just getting an amusement park ride...

Isn't Starfox more about the drama/interacting between the furry pilots, the epic boss battles, and the array of interesting environments?

I dunno man. I just really like arcade style flight games with score attack features. Space Harrier, After Burner, that sort of thing. Starfox has always been (to me anyway) Nintendo's answer to that genre. Space sims are cool in their own way, but I never considered Starfox to be one.

I guess I just really dig that amusement park ride.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Ah, yes, that makes sense, thank you. What else are you foreseeing as the major unannounced game to be released this holiday? Surely SF can't be all, I would think. Maybe Paper Mario Wii U or a 3DS up-port of Kid Icarus or Luigi's Mansion?

I'm still hoping that Tanabe - Nintendo SPD and Next Level have a Punch-Out title as the secret Wii U holiday game with Star Fox and Mario Maker. I would be a happy camper.

maxcriden

I'm still hoping that Tanabe - Nintendo SPD and Next Level have a Punch-Out title as the secret Wii U holiday game with Star Fox and Mario Maker. I would be a happy camper.

Similarly, my own selfish hope is for Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion 3. Or a Nabbit eShop game! 😄

jnWake

If there are "on-foot" missions I'd like them to be in Mechs or super fast bikes I don't know, something cool like that. Riding a speedy missile launching bike would be cool.

LTTP with this thread, but what is it that everyone is hoping for? Straight up, unadulterated Star Fox 64 successor, or something that involves free roam adventure elements too?

Zubz

Banned
I know they won't because it would be commercial suicide, but it would be so great if they went with graphics that looked kind of like puppets.

2663323-9207117267-22008.jpg

I used to love looking at that original starfox box cover. They seemed so much more detailed that the airbrush art that was common on all other box arts at the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that stupid/crazy!

If Project Giant Robot is being listed as a separate game in that investors meeting, I think it might've moved on to become its own game. I still feel that they'll try to work in Guard as a mode in Star Fox U, though. They seemed pretty intent on keeping these 3 games somewhat tied together, and even if Guard was basically Weekend at Freddy's, I could see it fitting as a side-mission in Star Fox.

I don't recall ever reading about the Arwing turning into a tank/helicopter mid-flight until now, actually. That seems like a pretty interesting mechanic. I guess the levels are going to be free-roaming? I'm more a fan of Star Fox 64's on-rails gameplay, but Star Successor's sales probably scared Nintendo away from straight-up rail shooters for good
and confirmed we're all philistines
. It should be interesting to see how the Arwings transform, although honestly, the Arwngs are all I'd need.

However, the game was clearly not a main entry in the series.

It wasn't? Most of the endings spelled major changes for the Star Fox Team (e.g.
Krystal leaving the group, the team disbanding while Fox and Falco became F-Zero-style racers, etc...
.) As a fan of Command I was hoping that this new game might pick up one of those loose ends.

It wasn't? Most of the endings spelled major changes for the Star Fox Team (e.g.
Krystal leaving the group, the team disbanding while Fox and Falco became F-Zero-style racers, etc...
.) As a fan of Command I was hoping that this new game might pick up one of those loose ends.

lol hell no.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It wasn't? Most of the endings spelled major changes for the Star Fox Team (e.g. .) As a fan of Command I was hoping that this new game might pick up one of those loose ends.

Yep, it's not canon. Even back with the interview the dev of Command (no not Cutbert, someone else, Immamura I think?) said that Command is not canon and if they were ever going to count it, it'd be at the middle of the game.

KooopaKid

Banned
I know they won't because it would be commercial suicide, but it would be so great if they went with graphics that looked kind of like puppets.

2663323-9207117267-22008.jpg

I used to love looking at that original starfox box cover. They seemed so much more detailed that the airbrush art that was common on all other box arts at the time.

I'm pretty sure they went with the puppet styled art for the box because they must have gotten a lot of influence for starfox from a show called X-Bomber. For starfox 64 the great fox ship must be based on the ship from X-Bomber. They are practically identical.
Check it out

http://youtu.be/XD-9NZsYCQw

Well Miyamoto said he wanted it to be like Thunderbirds so it's possible.
Plus if Platinum is helping, W101 also has the realistic doll look.
We'll see at E3!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
going with the blurry off screen images we had from last year, I think we'll see a "New" Star Fox approach, in terms of art-style.
Don't know why, but I think about Other M, when trying to visualize this "NEW" Star Fox game (in terms of art-direction)

TreIII

Don't play with my heart! I don't know what I'd do with myself if *starfox* got a wonderful 101/gurren lagann ending. Andross is PERFECT for that. The Great Fox combining with the different ships into a huge mech would be too much and I'd die.

And that's a big reason why I'd hope the game would focus more on "stylish over the top vehicular action" than anything else. And if P* was helping to make that happen, so much the better.

I mean, when you think about how StarFox had a number of Gundam/Macross/etc. homages throughout its history, it always seemed like this series was always just a few steps away from realizing its destiny as a full-blown Japanese mecha anime-based game.

Neff

I'm pretty sure they went with the puppet styled art for the box because they must have gotten a lot of influence for starfox from a show called X-Bomber. For starfox 64 the great fox ship must be based on the ship from X-Bomber. They are practically identical.
Check it out

http://youtu.be/XD-9NZsYCQw

One of my all-time favourite shows.

Give me tokusatsu Star Fox (with Star Fleet Dai-X Project Giant Robot thrown in) and I might just mess myself.

Top Bottom