• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Symphonia

Banned
It definitely felt like a filler episode.
I don’t care if it was just filler, I’m a sucker for timey-wimey shenanigans. There was a ton of character development, too, which is never a bad thing. Mudd was insanely entertaining - Rainn Wilson has a knack for portraying narcissistic psychopaths. A very enjoyable episode.

Fledz

Great (if not filler) episode but really hammy and shitty ending. I wanted it to stay dark, not go all happy happy at the end.

xandaca

Enjoyed that episode, even if it relied on the usual array of narrative shortcuts and suspect logic (even for a time-related story). It's nice that the series is doing some stand-alones, as it seemed for a while it would be strictly following the Netflix model. Even better episodes like this one, though, only reinforce how the series is weakened by weak choices guiding it. Most prominently, though I like Rainn Wilson's performance and his character a lot, the guy has nothing in common with TOS Harry Mudd, who is a flamboyantly conniving scoundrel, not a murderous psychopath. The Discovery version is a terrific villain, but the name is unnecessary and distracting, pointlessly tying into canon while getting it obviously wrong (same goes with the whole 'ten years before TOS despite all evidence to the contrary' thing). It also forced them into an ending which made little sense - would the Federation and someone like Lorca really allow a mercenary like Mudd with key tactical information related to the war, basically go free? After everything he did, or tried to do? Funny in terms of the 'old' Mudd. Nonsensical on its own.

Equally frustrating is the laser-focus on Burnham. Trying to revolve the series around someone other than the captain is an interesting idea, but captains have traditionally been the centre of gravity, not sole focus, of the storytelling, allowing the show to develop and tell stories for other key members of the crew without losing a sense of order. Discovery, unfortunately, is just the Burnham show. I barely feel I know the rest of the crew at all, other than through Burnham-perspective asides. There's no sense of them being a team, working and living together. As a character, she's a bit bland but Martin-Green is decent enough. I want to know more about how other relationships on the show work, however. How do Stamets and Saru get on? Tilly and the doctor? ANYONE and the doctor (even his relationship with Stamets is more or less a one-scene affair)? Lorca and Saru, or Tilly (if he knows she exists)? Are any of them friends? Hell, have any friends? Yes, a few of them have had scenes together hinting at little clashes (Lorca and Stamets being at odds) but nothing explored in depth. Lorca's by far the most developed character, but so far he's only meaningfully interacted with Burnham, Ash and the admiral he sexed and sent to die - and the latter two decidedly less so than Burnham.

So yes, the episode was fun and the time loop schtick is a welcome Trek tradition with some affable touches (got into the action quickly, the 'killing Lorca' montage) and solid entertainment value. The series as a whole has really hamstrung itself, though, even beyond questions of whether it 'feels' like Trek or not. It's enjoyable enough, nice to look at, and yes, a much easier watch than early TNG and Enterprise, but the direction it looks to be heading in does not seem conducive to building an interesting world or even good individual stories. Fingers crossed I'm wrong, of course.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Abandon ship ,all hands abandon ship!!!

Good episode.

This show does not feel like a star trek show, maybe it will in a few years.

I hope they bring some elements from the tng era, like the borg and the trippy kinda scary episodes, like tng time sauared, phantasms and genesis.

dextran

Almost felt like Star trek this time but what a mess in tone and writing with the end. All season long they make it very clear that it's war time. Yet they allow someone with precise knowledge on their spire drive to just beam away. Kill that man! He is clearly a danger and vulnerability. He could still tell the Klingons everything.

Enjoyed that episode, even if it relied on the usual array of narrative shortcuts and suspect logic (even for a time-related story). It's nice that the series is doing some stand-alones, as it seemed for a while it would be strictly following the Netflix model. Even better episodes like this one, though, only reinforce how the series is weakened by weak choices guiding it. Most prominently, though I like Rainn Wilson's performance and his character a lot, the guy has nothing in common with TOS Harry Mudd, who is a flamboyantly conniving scoundrel, not a murderous psychopath. The Discovery version is a terrific villain, but the name is unnecessary and distracting, pointlessly tying into canon while getting it obviously wrong (same goes with the whole 'ten years before TOS despite all evidence to the contrary' thing). It also forced them into an ending which made little sense - would the Federation and someone like Lorca really allow a mercenary like Mudd with key tactical information related to the war, basically go free? After everything he did, or tried to do? Funny in terms of the 'old' Mudd. Nonsensical on its own.

Equally frustrating is the laser-focus on Burnham. Trying to revolve the series around someone other than the captain is an interesting idea, but captains have traditionally been the centre of gravity, not sole focus, of the storytelling, allowing the show to develop and tell stories for other key members of the crew without losing a sense of order. Discovery, unfortunately, is just the Burnham show. I barely feel I know the rest of the crew at all, other than through Burnham-perspective asides. There's no sense of them being a team, working and living together. As a character, she's a bit bland but Martin-Green is decent enough. I want to know more about how other relationships on the show work, however. How do Stamets and Saru get on? Tilly and the doctor? ANYONE and the doctor (even his relationship with Stamets is more or less a one-scene affair)? Lorca and Saru, or Tilly (if he knows she exists)? Are any of them friends? Hell, have any friends? Yes, a few of them have had scenes together hinting at little clashes (Lorca and Stamets being at odds) but nothing explored in depth. Lorca's by far the most developed character, but so far he's only meaningfully interacted with Burnham, Ash and the admiral he sexed and sent to die - and the latter two decidedly less so than Burnham.

So yes, the episode was fun and the time loop schtick is a welcome Trek tradition with some affable touches (got into the action quickly, the 'killing Lorca' montage) and solid entertainment value. The series as a whole has really hamstrung itself, though, even beyond questions of whether it 'feels' like Trek or not. It's enjoyable enough, nice to look at, and yes, a much easier watch than early TNG and Enterprise, but the direction it looks to be heading in does not seem conducive to building an interesting world or even good individual stories. Fingers crossed I'm wrong, of course.

This is a great review of the series as a whole. I'd like to see it grow thematically, but you're right, making it about Burnam is tough. Unless we're watching her trajectory towards becoming a captain and the long game is to learn about the crew through the seasons leading up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Who’s watching tonight :D

Second last episode before the break!

*raises hand*

I was a little mixed on last week's episode but I'm sticking with it. This show is a good Sunday night watch.

t-storm

First 10 min off to a strong start:

+ lots of things blowing up
+ away team on a planet, traditional Trek style
+ more Klingon dramz

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Klingon drama is losing me. The revelations and backstabbing just don't connect.

I like the Admiral though. Didn't expect to see her so soon.

Tevious

Are people still getting episodes on Netflix (outside the US)? In Korea, I still haven't gotten episode 7 yet from last week and no episode 8 has been posted today. They just stopped. Guess I need to find their contact info and complain.

Edit: Was just told that episodes 7 and 8 would be delayed a week for some ratings bullshit, but episode 7 is now a week late and still a no show.

Kimawolf

The Klingon drama is losing me. The revelations and backstabbing just don't connect.

I like the Admiral though. Didn't expect to see her so soon.
Yeah om just not feeling them for some reason. I do enjoy the show a lot though. And feel the over all quality is good and has increased over time.

OrionFalls

This was s very Star Trekky episode. I loved it. A crew away from the ship exploring alien planets and encountering alien life forms. This is Star Trek at its best.

Grizzlyjin

Ok when did the admiral get captured?? Did we actually see that in a previous episode??

Yep. Not last week, but the week before (Ep 6). Same episode where she goes to grill Lorca. He sets her up and she's captured.

Sosokrates

Is the actress playing Burnham not very good? There are times when shes over acting the whole her being a Human raised as a vulcan .
Its like a silly vulcan impression she is doing?
Or maybe the actress is trying to act out a character who is a human who is kinda pretending to be more vulcan then she truly is?
Or maybe its just bad direction?

Whatever it may be, there are some lines that burnham says that just seems unatural, silly and bizzare.

It just feels like the chracter needs to go deeper on either being a human or a vulcan, somtimes it sounds like shes just reading lines off the script in a monotone way, and its not because vulcans are monotone, vulcans like spock or tuvok had more conviction and soul then burnham has.

xandaca

Nice to have an episode set somewhere other than on ships. Usual criticisms apply regarding plot holes and clunky dialogue, but giving Saru more depth was very welcome. The 'aliens' were cool too.The Klingon stuff remains tiresome, especially with the stunted line delivery (I know Klingon is very guttural, but surely there's a way of speaking it with some semblance of rhythm?), and frankly I haven't got much clue what's going on or why it's supposed to be important. Also unclear whether the admiral's dead. Overall, as per several previous episodes, watchable enough, but with persistent flaws and felt like it needed a few more drafts of the script.

t-storm

Mid-season finale tonight!

Early word on tonight’s ep:

I read it ends with a gut wrenching cliffhanger and the rest of the season is about the fallout of what happens in tonight’s episode.

wvnative

Is the actress playing Burnham not very good? There are times when shes over acting the whole her being a Human raised as a vulcan .
Its like a silly vulcan impression she is doing?
Or maybe the actress is trying to act out a character who is a human who is kinda pretending to be more vulcan then she truly is?
Or maybe its just bad direction?

Whatever it may be, there are some lines that burnham says that just seems unatural, silly and bizzare.

It just feels like the chracter needs to go deeper on either being a human or a vulcan, somtimes it sounds like shes just reading lines off the script in a monotone way, and its not because vulcans are monotone, vulcans like spock or tuvok had more conviction and soul then burnham has.

I blame the script, every character in the show talks kinda unnaturally imo. Yeah starfleet officers have always been professional, but not so much with a stick up their ass.

Though I didn't really like her on the walking dead, I think she is improved here.

t-storm

T minus 1 hour gogogogogogogogogogogoog

I blame the script, every character in the show talks kinda unnaturally imo. Yeah starfleet officers have always been professional, but not so much with a stick up their ass.

Though I didn't really like her on the walking dead, I think she is improved here.

With the impending mid-season finale, so far I'd have to rank all the series so far as:

TNG > DS9 > ENT > DIS > VOY

I didn't include TOS because I have to watch the whole series in full first.

Walshicus

T minus 1 hour gogogogogogogogogogogoog

With the impending mid-season finale, so far I'd have to rank all the series so far as:

TNG > DS9 > ENT > DIS > VOY

I didn't include TOS because I have to watch the whole series in full first.

You can't seriously have TNG or ENT season 1 that high?

t-storm

I mean, the other options would be... what?

That's how I'd rank each series in general.

TNG is number one, yes. Although I've been rewatching it from the start and it's not aging well. With every year it becomes more and more like TOS with awkward and cringe moments.

I think most people would put TNG down as number one. I mean sure there were some ropey episodes in TNG and it didn't get off to the greatest of starts but there were some quality episodes in TNG.

Myself personally I would go with

TOS > TNG > >>>>>>>> VOY >>>>>>>>>>>> ENT >>>>>>>>>>>> (to infinity) DS9

I don't really know where to put Discovery into the picture just yet. I am enjoying it and it is great to have some new Sci-Fi to watch. The problem is it just doesn't seem like star trek to me. If I was forced too I would probably put it around the same level as Voyager.

As for this weeks episode, it is an odd one for me. Again it was an enjoyable episode. I am totally loving the captain of the discovery. I think I am just having a bit of a problem with how miraculous the crew of the discovery are being right now. I mean come on the combined might of starfleet and hundreds of federation scientists can't come up with a way to neuter the cloaking system after 6 months of war but hey the Discovery team do it in less than 5 fucking hours. It really is stretching things for me.

I would also argue that they are not doing a great job of portraying this war right now. I keep hearing how the federation are losing the war, but I am not feeling it or seeing it. They haven't really done a great job of showing how Discovery has had an impact on the war other than to have Admirals go "yeah you go bro, you totally are changing the outcome of the war".

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying Discovery. I think Saru and the Captain are great, I think Stamats is great despite initially hating him. On the negative side I find Burnham is "passable", Ash I kinda want a Tarigrade to eat him and Tilly is approaching Wesley Crusher levels of annoyance.

So anyway that is it for two months. I am looking forward to seeing Discovery return. It has been 9 episodes now and whilst they have all been very enjoyable and top quality I can't say there have been any "stand out" episodes.

t-storm

^I think all of your general observations are valid and on point.

Overall, I think last night's episode was good but I was hoping for a better build-up and cliffhanger.

It wasn't that memorable and when the show returns in January, I will have forgotten what happened here and most of what happened in the first half of season one.

p.s. but DS9 last? :O

but-why.gif

p.s. but DS9 last? :O

I never really gelled with DS9. There are a lot of reasons why, some big some small. I think my main problem was the whole Bajoran Prophet thing was a huge turn off for me. Then there was the way Sisko would talk, seriously that guy had the most irritating way of speaking. A lot of the episodes just felt like a low rent day time US soap opera kinda like "days of our lives" but set in space.

Things improved a bit when the Dominion showed up but even that got old fast. Dear god did they drag the Dominion war out. I actually got to a point where I wanted the Jem Hadar to win. I wasn't even that mad with the way DS9 ended, though my eyes ached for weeks after with all the eye rolling I did. I was just kinda glad DS9 was at an end.

OrionFalls

We already know the lieutenant has seen the mirror dimension, as seen at the end of one of the episodes. Lorca’s talk and display of the alternate dimensions, coupled with Stamets seeing the mirror world, has me believe that Stamets has somehow seeped into the mirror dimension by using the spire drive technology, and taking the ship and crew with him.

My take.

Sosokrates

We already know the lieutenant has seen the mirror dimension, as seen at the end of one of the episodes. Lorca’s talk and display of the alternate dimensions, coupled with Stamets seeing the mirror world, has me believe that Stamets has somehow seeped into the mirror dimension by using the spire drive technology, and taking the ship and crew with him.

My take.

Reminds me of the tng episode "the 9th degree" where barclay is influenced by aliens so he can transport the enterprise to some far far place.
Theres been a couple of trans dimensional trek episodes, it wil be interesting to see it more fleshed out. With the discovery doing these crazy things you would of thought Q would like to pay them visit, it would be great seeing Q wind up captain Lorca

t-storm

My take.
I don't think it's necessarily the mirror universe but could just be another reality... wasn't Lorca showing Stamets all of the different possibilities in the hologram and then when Statmets was on the ground with the white eyes, he was saying that he could see all of them.

Also, I'm wondering if Tyler is really a klingon spy but he genuinely has no idea who he is and believes he is human.

Not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Started out, "Wtf", then was, "Hmm, ok" then ended, "Uh...alright."

Sonequa Martin is BRILLIANT. Everybody else is either forgettable or fucking insufferable. Not only in terms of acting but their character. I mean, there's no interesting story-lines behind anyone except her. Even after 9 episodes I felt like I didn't know any of them except Michael.

Most of the people working on the bridge have like two lines. What?

And why, fucking why, a tardigrade? Of all the things you can pick...

I'd say it was mildly entertaining but felt like it had nothing to do with Star Trek.

Weevilone

I honestly don't care how much it does or doesn't connect to the Star Treks of past. I'm just enjoying it for what it is, and I hope it continues for a while.

The primary knock that I have against it is that many of the characters could be cardboard cutouts on the bridge. In the end it doesn't matter that much, but it could use some work.

Not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Started out, "Wtf", then was, "Hmm, ok" then ended, "Uh...alright."

Sonequa Martin is BRILLIANT. Everybody else is either forgettable or fucking insufferable. Not only in terms of acting but their character. I mean, there's no interesting story-lines behind anyone except her. Even after 9 episodes I felt like I didn't know any of them except Michael.

Most of the people working on the bridge have like two lines. What?

And why, fucking why, a tardigrade? Of all the things you can pick...

I'd say it was mildly entertaining but felt like it had nothing to do with Star Trek.

Mostly agree except for me Cpt Lorca is the only character I like and latched on to. If he did not show up in ep3 or whatever I would have stopped watching.

I will keep watching at least the first season. But the show needs to improve considerably.

Top Bottom