• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN, FOX and Warner Bros. Discovery Forming Joint Venture to Launch Streaming Sports Service in the U.S

nikolino840

By subscribing to this focused, all-in-one premier sports service, fans would have access to the linear sports networks including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNEWS, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV, as well as ESPN+.

Lunarorbit

I guess if you're a college football/basketball fan then this is the package for you. I have up cable 2 years ago and it's been easy. Got an antenna for local TV and spent $50 for nba league pass.

This actually seems like a good idea if you don't pirate for some reason. You'd only miss the prime nfl games (which usually suck anyway)

jason10mm

Gold Member
So this is a macro-streaming service giving you just curated bits of other streaming services? I think they are on to something here....

Damn, sign me up for the "all action, horror, and adventure super-streamer with no pandering to "modern audiences", limited use of CG, and a boob to wang ratio of at least 10:1"!!!

LordCBH

I don’t have cable or a cable replacement (like youtube tv) so I’m hella interested in this for college sports. Depends on the price though.

But BOY Disney must be bad right now if they’re partnering with the competition for an app like this.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
More subscriptions yay...I guess. It's not like people have other thousands subscriptions to pay, right...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I gave up on cable a year ago. I was a traditional subber as long as I get my internet/cable package price and I get enough local sports and news channels that good enough. And I’m not subbing to more tv stuff on top of a cable plan.

The cable part was probably around $50 of it.

They balked at continuing to give me a deal and jacked up rates to the regular bundle price which was $50 more. Got nowhere with CSR multiple times. All I asked for was to match my past bundle price and good enough. Shot down 3 times with the third time they gave me like a $5 discount making it $45 more. So instead of $180 they came back after 10 minutes saying they’ll make it $175. Fuck off.

Said fuck it, cancelled my entire package, got an independent ISP for internet, a streaming box and pay $10/month to a place and get every channel you can imagine.

Fuck em. And all I wanted was to just continue paying like $130/mth for a good internet tier + basic cable.

Now I pay $70 for internet + $10 for streaming. I did have to frontload buying a box for $150. But after a couple months it all pays back.

I should had did this shit 5-6 years ago when my coworkers told me. But I was hesitant that ISP streaming would be shit like watching a Reddit feed. It’s good quality stuff. 99% of the time you can’t tell the difference vs cable.

Some coworkers said you can find feeds free if you install Plex and mess around finding stuff but I didn’t have the patience to do that. So I just signed up to a monthly fee and it all works right away.

Last edited:

Dural

I gave up on cable a year ago. I was a traditional subber as long as I get my internet/cable package price and I get enough local sports and news channels that good enough. And I’m not subbing to more tv stuff on top of a cable plan.

The cable part was probably around $50 of it.

They balked at continuing to give me a deal and jacked up rates to the regular bundle price which was $50 more. Got nowhere with CSR multiple times. All I asked for was to match my past bundle price and good enough. Shot down 3 times with the third time they gave me like a $5 discount making it $45 more. So instead of $180 they came back after 10 minutes saying they’ll make it $175. Fuck off.

Said fuck it, cancelled my entire package, got an independent ISP for internet, a streaming box and pay $10/month to a place and get every channel you can imagine.

Fuck em. And all I wanted was to just continue paying like $130/mth for a good internet tier + basic cable.

Now I pay $70 for internet + $10 for streaming. I did have to frontload buying a box for $150. But after a couple months it all pays back.

I should had did this shit 5-6 years ago when my coworkers told me. But I was hesitant that ISP streaming would be shit like watching a Reddit feed. It’s good quality stuff. 99% of the time you can’t tell the difference vs cable.

Some coworkers said you can find feeds free if you install Plex and mess around finding stuff but I didn’t have the patience to do that. So I just signed up to a monthly fee and it all works right away.

Exact same here, I would have kept cable if they were just reasonable. The streaming service I use that gets everything is fantastic, quality is very good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, cable video quality on the "lesser" channels was shit. Maybe it's better since I cut the cord in 2018 or so but I couldn't imagine how bad most cable channels would be in a 4k world, it was shit enough in a 480 to HD world. Not to.mention the need for a dvr.

I love streaming, I just need a better front end to track where stuff is and how far I got.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
How do people find time to watch all these services? We have Disney, Netflix, prime, crunchy roll, and Apple TV and it is stupid.

Each of my kids loves one of the services so it is tough to cancel. Netflix is free through our cable provider though so that’s fine and Apple TV is more of a bonus for our family cloud backups. Prime is just included in our prime membership so that’s less of an issue too. Still, this many services is stupid to me.

I bet I watch 5 hours a week (plus 2 hours of family movie time on Saturdays) of something and it’s almost always Warhammer stuff on YouTube.

Papa_Wisdom

College Football. And some march Basketball.
I’m from the U.K. and don’t j ow what college football is?

I assume it’s like nfl sport wise but is it actually like college students? How does this work? I presume like an academy of sorts to the nfl where the best players are recruited?

I’m genuinely interested.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Hah, what a shitshow.
Reeks of desperation of trying to dig their way out of their own fragmented and unprofitable business model.

DR3AM

It would be nice if I can login with my cable provider and have one app to watch all my sports.

AJUMP23

I’m from the U.K. and don’t j ow what college football is?

I assume it’s like nfl sport wise but is it actually like college students? How does this work? I presume like an academy of sorts to the nfl where the best players are recruited?

I’m genuinely interested.

It is basically that most major colleges in the US have an American Football team. There is a great deal of pageantry and tradition that goes along with it. NFL is on Sundays, College plays on Saturdays and Thursdays. It use to all be scholarship armature athletes and basically a farm system for the NFL. Every school has traditions. And the stadiums hold more fans than the NFL stadiums and they sell out every week. Teams have rivals and teams want to beat certain teams more than others, win their conference and go to the playoff to win the National Title.

Personally I follow the Florida Gators, both my parents have degrees from there. Tim Tebow is the most well known player from UF. But we have great players and coaches with Steve Spurrier and Danny Wuerfel and Jevon Kearse, Emmit Smith.

I think it is far more interesting than Pro. The talent gap is spread so far that some teams cannot compete, but sometimes you get teams that pull off upsets and miraculous plays.

Papa_Wisdom

It is basically that most major colleges in the US have an American Football team. There is a great deal of pageantry and tradition that goes along with it. NFL is on Sundays, College plays on Saturdays and Thursdays. It use to all be scholarship armature athletes and basically a farm system for the NFL. Every school has traditions. And the stadiums hold more fans than the NFL stadiums and they sell out every week. Teams have rivals and teams want to beat certain teams more than others, win their conference and go to the playoff to win the National Title.

Personally I follow the Florida Gators, both my parents have degrees from there. Tim Tebow is the most well known player from UF. But we have great players and coaches with Steve Spurrier and Danny Wuerfel and Jevon Kearse, Emmit Smith.

I think it is far more interesting than Pro. The talent gap is spread so far that some teams cannot compete, but sometimes you get teams that pull off upsets and miraculous plays.

Thanks for the reply, great read and info. Sounds surreal with the traditions aspect, can you give me a few examples? I wouldn’t have figured there stadiums would be bigger than nfl teams themselves that’s pretty crazy!

I only really watch nascar and Indy car from the u.s mainly, though I have been known to watch baseball from to me to time.

I have now adopted Florida gators as my college football team thanks to your insight!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thanks for the reply, great read and info. Sounds surreal with the traditions aspect, can you give me a few examples? I wouldn’t have figured there stadiums would be bigger than nfl teams themselves that’s pretty crazy!

I only really watch nascar and Indy car from the u.s mainly, though I have been known to watch baseball from to me to time.

I have now adopted Florida gators as my college football team thanks to your insight!
Colleges can make CRAZY money off their teams since they can get a cut of the licensing and don't have to pay the players much, if anything. So they are incentivized to build really massive facilities.

This is starting to change though with NIL (name, image, likeness) allowing college athletes to profit off their names. Gonna REALLY change the game I think, probably for the worse.

AJUMP23

Florida will disappoint you and break your heart. But if you have ever drank a Gatorade sports drink you can thank the UF football team for their sweat to analyze and the Science department for its development.

UF does a Gator walk where you can greet the players as they head for the stadium. Before every game there is a 2bits cheer,4th quarter we sing the school song, and now we have added tom Petty's won't back down. At the end of each game the players go to the band and sing the fight song. There are also traditional chants and cheers like the Gator Chomp.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Piracy is coming back.

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

Papa_Wisdom

Florida will disappoint you and break your heart. But if you have ever drank a Gatorade sports drink you can thank the UF football team for their sweat to analyze and the Science department for its development.

UF does a Gator walk where you can greet the players as they head for the stadium. Before every game there is a 2bits cheer,4th quarter we sing the school song, and now we have added tom Petty's won't back down. At the end of each game the players go to the band and sing the fight song. There are also traditional chants and cheers like the Gator Chomp.

I’m a Coventry City fan. Ask any football fan get will tell you that they feel sorry for me! Though doing quite well recently!

PUSB

Top Bottom