• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

impact

Banned
This + my internet bill is much more than it would cost if I just added cable service

nt Sony, but this is a flop

Elandyll

Banned
Quick question for the users as one thing is slightly confusing.

They mention the "cloud" recording (that "only" keeps your shows for 28 days), but sometime a "DVR" function is also mentioned.

Can we DVR locally as well, of is 28 days the longest a show will be kept?

If so, the service is not for me as I DVR stuff like whole seasons of TV shows or bunch of cartoons for kids, that I keep for months.

Grady

So now you dont use internet?

Hes saying he can add a cheaper basic cable package with probably more channels for less. If you package internet and cable together it is cheaper then if you had them separately. Vue would have been good at 20 bucks a month. 50 is too steep. I pay 70 for internet and no cable, just netflix and hulu. This would out me at 120 bucks a month. If i got a basic cable package through my provider it would be no more than 100 bucks a month with many more channels. Playstation vue is not a good deal, unless they provided internet for you.

They mention the "cloud" recording (that "only" keeps your shows for 28 days), but sometime a "DVR" function is also mentioned.

If so, the service is not for me as I DVR stuff like whole seasons of TV shows or bunch of cartoons for kids, that I keep for months.
You can DVR as much as you want to, just can't save it past 28 days.

DOWN

Banned
And Thusly are targeting two entirely different markets.

Not talking to specifically you Marty but,
There's room for the both of them here guys.
The more options for viewing content over the Internet, the better.

I disagree a little. I want a Netflix scenario where the brand gets huge and smashes them all and theres only like 2 kinda Amazon/Hulu competitors who keep things fair.

I don't want every platform and company to offer access to cable via web and apps. I want an obvious king to emerge that we can all love.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using the 7-day trial.

Service seems impressive considering it being at an early stage. The UI is okay (for the most part) and there is a decent list of channels, however, it's too expensive for what it offers at the moment. Service should start at $29, where I think it would take off immediately. Honestly, I don't see Sony making a groundbreaking number of subscribers at the current price/offering. Good luck to them.

spwolf

there isnt really a DVR... you "like" (favourite) the show and it auto gives you every episode of that show shown on any network in past 28 days.

There should also be integration of on-demand services which could give you more content but not sure if that made it in or not.

Zee-Row

Banned
My Fios TV and Internet Bill are $100 a month. So if I dropped my Fios TV and kept my internet only it would be $50 a month. Having PlayStation Vue would cost the same and i would get less channels with Playstation Vue , thats why this service fails for me.

there isnt really a DVR... you "like" (favourite) the show and it auto gives you every episode of that show shown on any network in past 28 days.

There should also be integration of on-demand services which could give you more content but not sure if that made it in or not.
They confirmed that you can authenticate on the various websites so there you go.

Elandyll

Banned
Sling has channels people actually want. ESPN family, CNN, TNT, AMC, Cartoon Network, Disney

For $20, you can't beat that with a stick

Yes, but it also has some severe holes.

No local channels, 1 stream per account, no recording, lacking a whole bunch of rather basic channels (Animal Planet, Discovery, USA, FX, Syfy, Science, Comedy Central...)

There's just no perfect solution yet for cord cutters it seems...

Now if Vue was $10-$20 cheaper, was as "a la carte" as Sling TV, and allowed for local DVR recording (no limit on time kept) and included the Disney channels (ABC, ESPN, Disney ch for kids)...

We'd be closer imo.

Exile20

This + my internet bill is much more than it would cost if I just added cable service

nt Sony, but this is a flop

Same here. See no point in this.

Many times my internet went down and my tv signal was fine also. If I am paying the same as cable and have that con then this is just not worth it.

nikos

Been using this for about six hours now. No real complaints so far. Interface and features are nice and image quality is good, better than competing services I've tried.

I don't watch much TV, and most of the shows I do watch are on networks that aren't yet available on Vue, but I may still go for it.

Cloudy

Banned
And that's perfectly fine.

However, many thinking about cutting cable want to do so because they only watch a handful of networks that are on cable (with ESPN usually being one of them).

Yep. For me, cord-cutting was about reduced costs and less filler. Paying anything close to cable prices defeats the purpose.

Sling is as close to a la carte as you can get right now while still delivering essentials. That plus Netflix and HD local channels with an antenna has been a great combo for me

EhoaVash

Lol wtf at that price so expensive for such little channels . Sony should if offered this for $29.99 . whats the point of cutting cable if the vue service is just as expensive .

As someone who doesn't care for sports. Sorry only into movies and cartoons. Vue could of been really good. offering up nick and cartoon network but man that price suxks

yuraya

So SlingTV is $30 cheaper than Vue, allows you to watch on any device instead of just consoles and has ESPN.

Sony is indeed out of touch with reality. This is a terrible service for now.

Cloudy

Banned
No local channels, 1 stream per account, no recording, lacking a whole bunch of rather basic channels (Animal Planet, Discovery, USA, FX, Syfy, Science, Comedy Central...)

- You can use a bunny-ears antenna to get local channels in HD. I get all mine (12 or so) that way.
- 1 stream per account is very fair for $20
- There's no recording but a few of the channels let you finish shows you were watching within 2 days or so.
- I feel the channel lineup is adequate for the price but they seem to be adding more at a good clip

I'm glad Sony and Apple are entering the fray but very few people are going to drop cable to pay similar prices for less channels. Sling has the right formula. Essentials at a bargain price

$50 and no ESPN is dead on arrival

This so hard. Many folks would pay $10 a month just for ESPN alone. I don't understand how Dish/Sling is offering it for $20 in a package

Bgamer90

Banned

Depends on what someone wants.

My 75 mpbs internet + Hulu + Sling + Netflix + Amazon + Antenna combo pretty much gives me all the channels/channel content that I want.

Channels/channel content I get with that combo:
NBC, CBS, CW, ABC, Fox, PBS, two (local) retro TV Networks, ABC Family, AMC, Nickelodeon, MTV, MTV2, VH1, BET, Comedy Central, TV Land, Spike, Bravo, CNN, Cartoon Network, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, Disney, FX/FXX, Food Network, Discovery, HBO Classics, Galavision, HGTV, IFC, TBS, TNT, Travel Channel, (and soon A&E, History, H2, and Lifetime).

There's really no other channel that I would like to have that's outside of that combo except for GSN (but I could easily see GSN coming to Sling TV soon since it's a low budget network).

75 mbps internet + a cable or satellite TV service would be $50 more per month for me in comparison and I would mostly watch the same channels/content with it. It just doesn't make sense for me to go with that option.

For now, Netflix + Hulu + HBO Now(next month) + HD Antenna is all the TV I ever need. Only thing missing for me is ESPN. One day I'm sure ESPN will be offered as a standalone service. It makes too much sense not to do it.

Kill3r7

Now if Vue was $10-$20 cheaper, was as "a la carte" as Sling TV, and allowed for local DVR recording (no limit on time kept) and included the Disney channels (ABC, ESPN, Disney ch for kids)...

We'd be closer imo.

That's the ideal situation but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The best we can hope for is that the cable companies will start offering better rates due to competition.

labaronx

For now, Netflix + Hulu + HBO Now(next month) + HD Antenna is all the TV I ever need. Only thing missing for me is ESPN. One day I'm sure ESPN will be offered as a standalone service. It makes too much sense not to do it.

Espn insider. Its computer based but it is

labaronx

Hell google fiber Playstation vue and nfl sunday ticket and i save about $350 a year. I could live without espn now that i think about it

Will people really pay more than $20 for the base package with Sling available? I wouldn't

Edit: misread the statement. Thought it was an argument against the base package.

IMO Sling has a much better selection. ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network and the Travel Channel are all I need. As stated by many in this thread, no ESPN no sell.

Dubz

I just can't watch regular TV anymore. I can't even stand fast forwarding through commercials on the DVR. Streaming with no commercials ftw. Yes I miss sports, but I can live with that to save one hundred a month.

Exile20

Hell google fiber Playstation vue and nfl sunday ticket and i save about $350 a year. I could live without espn now that i think about it

Isn't Google fiber for $130 and you get
Up to 1,000 Mbps upload and download speed.
150+ channels.
Record up to 8 shows at once.

Why would you pay $60 for the Vue? It is the same price but with a lot more with Google fiber.

We'd be closer imo.

People don't seem to realize this, but it costs money for TV providers to rebroadcast free local channels. These charges of course are passed down to the customer as fees. I like Sling's approach of keeping local channels off. I have an antenna and use the Tablo app on my Roku and iPhone to watch local channels for free (after you buy the equipment). Tablo + Sling gets me pretty much everything I watch, for $20. There's alternatives to Tablo too, like Simple.tv. The most efficient approach to cutting the cable cord and have access to TV anywhere is Sling + Tablo.

In my situation, my cable+Internet is now $75, not $175 as it used to be. I'm liking that bill.

jrDev

And there goes Sony again overpricing their services. Come on Sony, when are you going to realize that you are not apple and not even Apple took off with AppleTV...

Ocelott

I hope everyone realizes that they are rolling it out to Test markets first. TEST MARKETS. I am sure they will listen to feedback.

Are you willing to pay $20 for the ESPN Family of Networks? Because if it ever happened, that's what I see it looking like.

labaronx

Isn't Google fiber for $130 and you get

Why would you pay $60 for the Vue? It is the same price but with a lot more with Google fiber.

The prices ive seen for nashville were 150 a month with a 2 year contract.

No contract and for months im on the rode i dont have to pay for vue like November and December

Its not perfect but those savings and no taxes could save me quite a bit

I mean, let's be real. With all the stuff THAT Sony is providing, how can some of you guys think that it would cost the same as what's out there. As it is now...

$50 for DVR, and all those channels without Disney and Espn is still a better deal with multiple devices and one account that serves 3 extra boxes without any additional fees.

Like I don't understand why people aren't seeing the extreme value in this price and what goes into it. Strip vue of the DVR, cloud function and half the channels, it well cost the same as sling. But it has more than that plus the DVR function alone that in some ways reasonably justifies the price. I really don't see the problem.

This is not a case of paying more for less. You are paying more for more of everything except two networks? How is that a loss especially compared to isp bundles?

MrBenchmark

Are you willing to pay $20 for the ESPN Family of Networks? Because if it ever happened, that's what I see it looking like.

I have slingtv for 19.99 get espn tnt amc and more plus 7.99 netflix and ota hd that's plenty. Between espn and tnt get my nba fix sony is friggin high i got there email in chicago test market they can kiss it for 50 bucks

yuraya

I mean, let's be real. With all the stuff THAT Sony is providing, how can some of you guys think that it would cost the same as what's out there. As it is now...

$50 for DVR, and all those channels without Disney and Espn is still a better deal with multiple devices and one account that serves 3 extra boxes without any additional fees.

Like I don't understand why people aren't seeing the extreme value in this price and what goes into it. Strip vue of the DVR, cloud function and half the channels, it well cost the same as sling. But it has more than that plus the DVR function alone that in some ways reasonably justifies the price. I really don't see the problem.

This is not a case of paying more for less. You are paying more for more of everything except two networks? How is that a loss especially compared to isp bundles?

Why not make it optional? Not everyone cares about DVR or watching on multiple devices or cloud functions. Give those channels without those additional features for $20. They aren't making it optional. They are forcing that stuff on you which is what Comcasts of the world are already doing. Not to mention a bunch of channels people don't care about. And you need a Playstaion to watch it. Playstations aren't free.

You save $360 a year by going with Sling over Vue and you get espn. $20 a month is harmless territory. $50-70 a month for anything cable television related is a rip off.

I have slingtv for 19.99 get espn tnt amc and more plus 7.99 netflix and ota hd that's plenty. Between espn and tnt get my nba fix sony is friggin high i got there email in chicago test market they can kiss it for 50 bucks

You don't really think that if ESPN offered a service, that they'd just do ESPN and ESPN2, do you? You'd be getting everything like ESPNews, the SEC Network, ESPNU, and every other channel that ESPN creates in the process, and probably access to their 30 for 30 movies as well. And with live sports becoming more and more valuable to networks as the thing that people keep cable for, I can easily see ESPN charging $20 a month and getting away with it (I mean, if HBO is about to charge $15 a month for its original programming and many people are fine with it, I don't see how you can make an argument that ESPN shouldn't charge $20).

Jigorath

Banned
Why not make it optional? Not everyone cares about DVR or watching on multiple devices or cloud functions. Give those channels without those additional features for $20. They aren't making it optional. They are forcing that stuff on you which is what Comcasts of the world are already doing. Not to mention a bunch of channels people don't care about. And you need a Playstaion to watch it. Playstations aren't free.

You save $360 a year by going with Sling over Vue and you get espn. $20 a month is harmless territory. $50-70 a month for anything cable television related is a rip off.

I hope everyone realizes that they are rolling it out to Test markets first. TEST MARKETS. I am sure they will listen to feedback.

MrBenchmark

You don't really think that if ESPN offered a service, that they'd just do ESPN and ESPN2, do you? You'd be getting everything like ESPNews, the SEC Network, ESPNU, and every other channel that ESPN creates in the process, and probably access to their 30 for 30 movies as well. And with live sports becoming more and more valuable to networks as the thing that people keep cable for, I can easily see ESPN charging $20 a month and getting away with it (I mean, if HBO is about to charge $15 a month for its original programming and many people are fine with it, I don't see how you can make an argument that ESPN shouldn't charge $20).

Huh?

https://www.sling.com/package

And sling logins work on watch espn mobile app too

Is there an article, survey, or study that supports what you're saying? While I do imagine this being a deal breaker or some, there are people out there who don't care for sports.

I think you are ignoring the fact that if you're not watching alot of television then you don't have to pay for it. You will not incur any late fees. You do not have to send back any equipment. You just don't renew the service. And when your favorite show starts back airing then start the service back up.

You could make your own study just by reading a lot of these posts on this thread and lets be honest, when it comes to sport fans gaffers doesn't necessarily come to mind. I remember watching a video back during CES that polled people on why they still haven't cut the cord and if I remember correctly 40% said because of ESPN. You can't deny how popular ESPN is, here's some proof http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-espn-tops-cable-for-year-own-hallmark-we-tv-among-few-gainers-1201391036/

Because we live in the 20st century where people don't really have time to catch the TV shows they like. I mean, isn't that what future proofing your product so people can always catch the shows they missed... Wait..... Isn't that primarily the POINT of Internet TV?

Either way, this is a test. Obviously this isn't a full roll out but a way to test the major markets. It's why it isn't nationwide and why there's a 7 day trial attached to it.

I don't understand how someone could not care about DVR but want to watch ESPN as if you aren't going miss anything on there if you aren't watching it in time. DVR in itself is a huge feature that you don't get to pay $50 for anywhere. I don't even know where your math is coming from.

Top Bottom