• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

DOWN

Banned
I'm sure Sony is going to try and set this on fire with some plan reconfiguration a or features once they've learned from test markets. And obviously they don't think missing ABC/ESPN is okay for the long haul or they're idiots.

Cloudy

Banned
You don't really think that if ESPN offered a service, that they'd just do ESPN and ESPN2, do you? You'd be getting everything like ESPNews, the SEC Network, ESPNU, and every other channel that ESPN creates in the process, and probably access to their 30 for 30 movies as well. And with live sports becoming more and more valuable to networks as the thing that people keep cable for, I can easily see ESPN charging $20 a month and getting away with it (I mean, if HBO is about to charge $15 a month for its original programming and many people are fine with it, I don't see how you can make an argument that ESPN shouldn't charge $20).

Sling has ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNNews plus other channels for $20. Anything over $15 will not fly for one channel

The $20 you're paying for SlingTV only includes ESPN and ESPN2. To add the other ESPN channels (which would be part of any hypothetical ESPN unbundled package), it would be another $5 for their sports package, so now were at $25 being what you're paying Sling for the ESPN Networks, and we don't actually know how much Dish/Sling is paying Disney/ESPN for the content. I'm saying that because of the importance of live sports to networks (and to current and potential cord-cutters), ESPN is valuable enough as a standalone service that they're probably going to charge somewhere near $20 a month for access to all their content. At the absolute least, I see them charging just as much as HBO is preparing to, which is already $15 a month.

Sling has ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNNews plus other channels for $20. Anything over $15 will not fly for one channel

According to this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R6zswJ0O0Q9RMldnsHAC6VrQjJTOaUYVzWT7MOt6_L4/pubhtml

ESPN and ESPN2 are part of basic, but ESPNews, ESPNU and the SEC network are part of the sports package.

Edit: And I think you're underestimating the value of live sports. There's many people out there that buy the league sports packages to watch each of the various major American sports (NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc.) for $100+ per year (MLB.tv is $110 for the base package, NFL Sunday ticket is $160, and NBA league pass is around $200 from what I've found). Those are the types of people that would jump at an ESPN standalone sub.

Rur0ni

Looking forward to trying this service. $50 seems reasonable to me when it comes with full cloud DVR and I can stream to multiple devices. And best of all, no contract. I've been waiting so long to finally get off of Cablevision. If this works well, it's going to save me a lot of money.

Regarding the price versus SlingTV and cable / sat ... people seem to not be factoring everything that's going on here.

Versus SlingTV:
* This is 3 streams. So for a typical household where 2 to 3 streams are potentially active at a given time, this is either only bit more or actually less than Sling, but with far more stations
* The feature set is far better, and appears to be consistent with all channels / content - Pausing live TV, cloud DVR, etc. Those features are huge.
* I'd argue a much nicer layout. While that's subjective, objectively it has far more customization in terms of sorting, searching, etc​

Versus Cable / Sat:
* Price when considering features. While yes the base cost is quite similar to cable / sat packages, you need to factor in hardware. You want 2 or 3 rooms? You're paying a rental per month for each box (at least after any initial discounts run out for new service). You want a DVR? That's more than a box. Whole home DVR? Even more from most providers
* Features - Few providers offer a cloud DVR. You need to manage your DVR yourself. My only concern is how long you can keep recordings. With a traditional DVR, it's forever - at least while you still have room.
* UI - While some providers are better than others and TiVo is usually an option for cable / fiber providers, this UI is obviously better than most. If only for the far better sorting and searching.​

Obviously in all the above, one needs to determine for themselves if the lineup itself meets their requirements. If it does though, I find it hard to argue the costs are out of line, or that the features are anything but industry leading.
Basically where I'm at. Outside of living in an area I can get Google Fiber (It may actually be here in a few years), this is something I would probably dump DirecTV for if it works well and the quality is what I'm expecting. However it needs to be streamable on something other than a PS3/4. I don't want to purchase multiple full consoles. I've got plenty of Rokus right now I could use.

yuraya

Because we live in the 20st century where people don't really have time to catch the TV shows they like. I mean, isn't that what future proofing your product so people can always catch the shows they missed... Wait..... Isn't that primarily the POINT of Internet TV?

The whole point of Internet TV is to have options. To pay for exactly what you need when you need it. Not to overpay for shit you'll never use. That is the biggest reason people want to cut the cords. Your not getting any options with this VUE deal.

The whole point of Internet TV is to have options. To pay for exactly what you need when you need it. Not to overpay for shit you'll never use. That is the biggest reason people want to cut the cords. Your not getting any options with this VUE deal.

You are getting options. There are three different packages. Obviously La carte is not happening anytime soon. Reason being because content providers do not want to sell their channels individually... So even comparing this to sling, you still find yourself with a bundle.

Secondly, you have choice. At the base, you are no longer held down to ISP for stupid bundle that include channels you really really don't want. You aren't held down to contracts. You aren't held down by rental charges etc. This is literally a solution to paying JUST for TV without all the extra BS.

This is for cord cutters in the fact that your content is no longer tied with strings attached. At the end of the day, comparing the two, as a single person.. Sling is a good option.. But for families and people who clearly want more without having to suck up to their isp for extra channels, it's much easier and much better to swallow $50 of financial freedom than $80 of contract lock down.

specdot

I hope everyone realizes that they are rolling it out to Test markets first. TEST MARKETS. I am sure they will listen to feedback.
C'mon bro. This is [CRITICAL REACTION] Gaf. It's either, "Sony is burning to the ground, this service is DOA" or "SlingTV is better because it's cheaper."
I'm giving the trail period a go. Hopefully Sony does get other provider on board and lower the price a bit. As some have mentioned in this thread, cord cutters don't have the perfect solution yet.

Vyer

$50? Yeah, no thanks. No Disney/ABC/ESPN and paying as much as I would to get a standard cable/internet package is kind of a non starter. Some interesting features, but priced way too high at the moment.

Megatron

You don't even know what features are being offered or listed maybe 15 channels. Congratulations. I assume you already own an Iphone too.

I'm not sure why you're pissed. Who wouldn't be interested in a service that's half the price and has some of the Chanels we know Sony doesn't have? Obviously I need to know more but there at least is a chance I will go with Apple's service. There is no chance I'm going with Sony until they get realistic with their pricing expectations. I mean I pay $80.80 every month for internet and basic cable (every Chanel Sony offers and more) Sony wants me to pay more money for less content? Good luck with that.

And no, I don't and have never owned an iPhone. Not sure why that matters.

That price point doesn't seem possible unless it's just a bare collection of channels. I can get ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC over the air for free, so a service is going to have to give me a lot more than that.

Really? I don't think I have ever lived any where where I could get them all with antennae. I always seem to lose one or more to static. But you're right, I need to know what else they have. The article didn't go into enough detail and I'm sure it's not final yet.

MrBenchmark

I'm not sure why you're pissed. Who wouldn't be interested in a service that's half the price and has some of the Chanels we know Sony doesn't have? Obviously I need to know more but there at least is a chance I will go with Apple's service. There is no chance I'm going with Sony until they get realistic with their pricing expectations. I mean I pay $80.80 every month for internet and basic cable (every Chanel Sony offers and more) Sony wants me to pay more money for less content? Good luck with that.

And no, I don't and have never owned an iPhone. Not sure why that matters.

Really? I don't think I have ever lived any where where I could get them all with antennae. I always seem to lose one or more to static. But you're right, I need to know what else they have. The article didn't go into enough detail and I'm sure it's not final yet.

It isnt hard a decent antenna mounted properly in the right direction with proper signal boosting its easy. I'm 50+ miles west of chicago and i get cbs,abc,nbc,wgn,fox in full HD and a ton more channels that are all on that list of Sony's all fed into my 4 tuner htpc for free and all that equipment paid for itself in one year.

Im passing because i refuse to pay for channels i already get and i trust my dvr far more than Sony's:)

You are getting options. There are three different packages. Obviously La carte is not happening anytime soon. Reason being because content providers do not want to sell their channels individually... So even comparing this to sling, you still find yourself with a bundle.

Secondly, you have choice. At the base, you are no longer held down to ISP for stupid bundle that include channels you really really don't want. You aren't held down to contracts. You aren't held down by rental charges etc. This is literally a solution to paying JUST for TV without all the extra BS.

This is for cord cutters in the fact that your content is no longer tied with strings attached. At the end of the day, comparing the two, as a single person.. Sling is a good option.. But for families and people who clearly want more without having to suck up to their isp for extra channels, it's much easier and much better to swallow $50 of financial freedom than $80 of contract lock down.

From the Engadget article http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/18/sony-playstation-vue-streaming-tv-launch/

It may seem like access to all of that content is too good to be true. Certainly, cable operators like Comcast are notorious for creating roadblocks to streaming content (see: HBO Go on PlayStation 4), but that's a matter of authentication; a problem Vue doesn't have to worry about. "We have individual deals with all of the networks. So we're offering the service. Essentially, we're Comcast in this case -- a lot better than Comcast," says Lempel.

If this is true I don't see why they can't offer us a more a la carte option like Sling.

I am loving the whole vue idea but no abc or espn is a huge missing piece for me. I don't mind the price point and love the fact that there is no contract needed. Has anyone downloaded the app to test it out? I am only getting 720p resolution and my internet download speed is 125mbs upload is 20mbs. You can check the viewing stats by pressing R3 on your controller.

LifEndz

Was in the beta and really enjoyed the service. Picture and sound quality were great and the dvr functions were equally good. As someone who ditched cable over a year ago I was excited to have animal planet, msnbc and discovery back in my life.....but 50 dollars to start per month is way too much. I already pay for Internet through time warner and I was hoping Sony would charge around what it would cost to add cable to my existing Internet package, which is about 20 bucks, but man, 50 to start? Holy shit. For 50 bucks extra per month I could add all the regular channels and a premium like HBO with TWC.

I'll save my 7 day trial for July when shark week starts up. Hopefully by then they'll have some sort of discount for plus subscribers.

Was in the beta and really enjoyed the service. Picture and sound quality were great and the dvr functions were equally good. As someone who ditched cable over a year ago I was excited to have animal planet, msnbc and discovery back in my life.....but 50 dollars to start per month is way too much. I already pay for Internet through time warner and I was hoping Sony would charge around what it would cost to add cable to my existing Internet package, which is about 20 bucks, but man, 50 to start? Holy shit. For 50 bucks extra per month I could add all the regular channels and a premium like HBO with TWC.

I'll save my 7 day trial for July when shark week starts up. Hopefully by then they'll have some sort of discount for plus subscribers.
was you able to get 1080p streams in the beta or is this service restricted to 720p?

A bit pricey. I can easily get TWC to provide me most of this with DVR for $30 extra a month for 12 months, then threaten to cancel the service and keep the same price for another 12 months. I more trust them to have the service available when I want it than Sony.

LifEndz

was you able to get 1080p streams in the beta or is this service restricted to 720p?

Was you? Wow. Stream looked great In the beta but I don't recall whether it was 1080 or 720.

A bit pricey. I can easily get TWC to provide me most of this with DVR for $30 extra a month for 12 months, then threaten to cancel the service and keep the same price for another 12 months. I more trust them to have the service available when I want it than Sony.

Exactly, although I will say the service was pretty reliable when I used it.

Was you? Wow. Stream looked great In the beta but I don't recall whether it was 1080 or 720.

Exactly, although I will say the service was pretty reliable when I used it.
excuse the grammar, its late/early and I just got off work but I do appreciate the response. If you press R3 on your controller you can get the streams stats in the top left hand corner of your tv screen. I am not sure if it was the same way in the beta or not. The stream quality will play a huge factor in wether I consider purchasing this in the future or not. I have a 1080p tv and I would much rather view shows in 1080i over 720p. I know Comcast supported 1080i or 720p and 720p looks horrendous on my tv.

Oh well I guess I was wrong. I was able to sign up.

Its okay I guess...but I haven't had cable my whole life so I don't know what to watch. I have a few shows set to record this week. I guess Sunday night I'll decide for sure if I want it or not.

But to be honest, paying for Walking Dead, and other shows each weak thru Amazon Prime is cheaper than this, Plus I own them.

Slings main focus was sports and kids. Sony is going for an all around approach that is giving cable a decent fight. There's no reason to have 2 Slings out there. It's nice to have both, more options. If Sony wants to be smart and knock out Sling then sure a core basic package would do the trick but i don't think that's the goal really.

Last night was a bummer, I wanted to watch a show and PSN was down, so TV was down. That's not a factor when it comes to cable or sling.

I really want to love the UI and features more. The most impressive thing is the cloud dvr/28 day thing. The UI itself...I really hate the guide.

spwolf

Oh well I guess I was wrong. I was able to sign up.

Its okay I guess...but I haven't had cable my whole life so I don't know what to watch. I have a few shows set to record this week. I guess Sunday night I'll decide for sure if I want it or not.

But to be honest, paying for Walking Dead, and other shows each weak thru Amazon Prime is cheaper than this, Plus I own them.

you dont need to set anything to record... you simply favourite the show and it will give you all instances of that show for past 28 days. You dont actually have to do anything other than that.

ckohler

Can someone with Vue please tell me how much of a delay there is when viewing live broadcasts?

I know SlingTV is 60 second behind real-time compared to cable TV.

driver116

Last night was a bummer, I wanted to watch a show and PSN was down, so TV was down. That's not a factor when it comes to cable or sling.

I really want to love the UI and features more. The most impressive thing is the cloud dvr/28 day thing. The UI itself...I really hate the guide.

It actually runs on playstation network? What are sony thinking

Exile20

That was what I was saying. This alone is quite a deal breaker. If we get another PSN hack then you are out of tv for how ever long they get it back up and running.

My roommate thinks Vue ($50) is really cool and asked I look into pricing vs TWC. She's not really interested in the channels on Sling (no Discovery, no reality shows, no MTV, etc). TWC won't give me anything competitive (channels + dvr) for less than $80 (on top of my $45 for internet).

Vue is a better deal than I initially gave it credit for, since I'd save $30. It running through PSN is still a concern, but hopefully that gets better.

Wish they had an iPhone app, but you can use Vue credentials to use individual channel iOS apps. Also sucks that I can't go buy a cheap PS TV console and have it in other rooms - I'd have to lay out ~$120 for a PS3 to get Vue in another room (not happening).

Decisions, decisions.

My roommate thinks Vue ($50) is really cool and asked I look into pricing vs TWC. She's not really interested in the channels on Sling (no Discovery, no reality shows, no MTV, etc). TWC won't give me anything competitive (channels + dvr) for less than $80 (on top of my $45 for internet).

Vue is a better deal than I initially gave it credit for, since I'd save $30. It running through PSN is still a concern, but hopefully that gets better.

Wish they had an iPhone app, but you can use Vue credentials to use individual channel iOS apps. Also sucks that I can't go buy a cheap PS TV console and have it in other rooms - I'd have to lay out ~$120 for a PS3 to get Vue in another room (not happening).

Decisions, decisions.
I'm sure once it launches nationwide, there will probably be a Roku app or something.

LifEndz

80 bucks on top of the 45 they're charging you for Internet? Did you mean 80 dollars for both Internet and cable? If TWC told you 80 dollars for Cable and 45 for Internet then I'd call again and speak to a different agent. I live in NYC and that's about 50 bucks more than what TWC told Internet and cable would cost.

80 bucks on top of the 45 they're charging you for Internet? Did you mean 80 dollars for both Internet and cable? If TWC told you 80 dollars for Cable and 45 for Internet then I'd call again and speak to a different agent. I live in NYC and that's about 50 bucks more than what TWC told Internet and cable would cost.

80 on top of the 45. Ill call again to see what the deal is. I was under the impression the dvr cost drives it up a bit.

ckohler

I just checked my own TWC bill out of curiosity. Looks like (with fees) I pay about $60.50 for High Definition Cable TV with a DVR from TWC.

DRV Service fee: 5.00
Starter TV + Standard TV: 44.99 (promo price?)
HD-DVR Set Top Box fee: 8.25
Broadcast TV Surcharge: 2.25

That's not counting the $54.99 I pay for Extreme Internet. So, Vue would still be cheaper for me assuming they don't jack up the price of my Internet were I to unbundle.

Yea I have been doing my home work on the vue and its basically 720p for everyone right now. They may up it to 1080 later on down the line but for now 720p it is. I will consider getting this service if they ever add espn and up the display to 1080p

Afrikan

from what I've read I get the impression that EVERYTHING on every channel is On-demand from the previous 3 Days.

so if you missed something recently, or the day before..you can instantly watch it.

My cousin has Directv...I have issues of missing shows that I didn't even know were coming on. Like this Arsenal Soccer special about their 2003 season, that was on NBCSN. It was just the day before, but there is not an upcoming repeat..and NBC Extra's app doesn't have it anywhere as well.

but I'm guessing that if I had VUE, I'd be able to go back earlier and catch it. :/

jwk94

So PlaySation Vue is available in Northern Indiana.

from what I've read I get the impression that EVERYTHING on every channel is On-demand from the previous 3 Days.

so if you missed something recently, or the day before..you can instantly watch it.

My cousin has Directv...I have issues of missing shows that I didn't even know were coming on. Like this Arsenal Soccer special about their 2003 season, that was on NBCSN. It was just the day before, but there is not an upcoming repeat..and NBC Extra's app doesn't have it anywhere as well.

but I'm guessing that if I had VUE, I'd be able to go back earlier and catch it. :/

THat's not exactly accurate. I just searched up "Open Heart" a show that airs Tuesdays on Nicktoons and it's not on there =/

They need to make this an app across multiple platforms like PC, IOS, and Android. I could maybe see myself spending $50 a month for that.

I could log into Comedy Central website using my PlayStation Vue subscription! Let's make a list of network websites that allow that.

71eP9xr.png

How did you know? When I download the app on the PS4, it still only says you must be in Chicago, New York or Philadelphia.
Northern Indiana would be considered part of the Chicagoland viewing area. You should try to sign up if you can pick up the local channels from one of the supported markets.

Knoxcore

$25 bucks too expensive.

SlingTV looks a solid option but I need my Comedy Central.

Decided to try it out this week. I won't subscribe yet, but definitely considering cutting the cord eventually.

So far it's working great. I will like to see a 1080p stream. But the 720p streams I've seen are decent. I have a 50/50 connection with Fios. If I do cut the cord I'll switch to TWC and get a 50/5 connection for $35 for the first year. Fios will be $30 more.

One thing that most definitely holds me back from pulling the trigger is the fact that if PSN is down so is Vue.

Vue also negates the need for Hulu. For me, Hulu acted as a digital DVR. With Vue, I can DVR my favorite shows through the cloud.

With regards to Sling, you get more channels on Vue, 3 simultaneous streams, Cloud DVR and rewind on all channels. I think the price point is worth it, especially given you're getting all the major channels.

kcxiv

no espn is a no go for me, not because i like espn, because i like live sports and espn is big on live sports. pass. Im a huge sports fan, huge deal breaker for me.

Afrikan

Leaked Sony emails reveal Comcast's leeriness of PlayStation Vue

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/le...comcasts-leeriness-playstation-vue/2015-04-21

this most likely has to do with HBO GO not working on PS4s for Comcast Internet customers.

as well as other Comcast services that are on Xbox, but not Playstation.

I mean I understand from their perspective. I'm not a huge Comcast fan, but I did love their On Demand service..as well as VH1 Soul, which Directv didn't have. :/

Top Bottom