• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

I've used this for a bit now in NYC.

1. The UI is both impressive and terrible.
*The buttons don't seem to be mapped in the most efficient way.
*The main guide doesn't feel efficient and is ugly, having you scroll sideways without a video PIP feed while scrolling.

The "You're Watching" guide that comes up by hitting O is what brings the magic. It shows you shows, and you can watch past episodes right away, so it makes cable TV feel like Netflix.

2. The DVR feature is confusing
Add a show to your shows and you can watch past episodes from the last 28 days I believe, but I added a show and it's only giving me two episodes as options. I know it's had new episodes every week for the last few months, so this is odd.

3. The video feed is HD and fast
However it seems Vue won't downgrade your picture to continue the video feed, but will instead pause and buffer, which is a bit annoying. If for some reason my shitty TWC internet is being slow, it's being slow, I'd rather watch 720p or SD for a few seconds than watch a loading bar. (Netflix/Sling TV will downgrade picture if needed)

VS Sling TV:
Sling TV's guide seems to be more future/nicer to me
Sling TV buffers a tad more slowly (i.e. picture is SD and then takes longer to become HD)
Sling TV obviously has less channels, but does have ESPN
Sling TV has no DVR, but has a 3 day on demand feature for some channels
Sling TV is $20

Overall, Vue really isn't a cord cutter option imo. It's more of competition for TWC or Direct TV than Sling or Netflix. If you want this more capable/Netflixing-cable UI and way of watching, you can get your cable from Sony instead of your current cable provider. With OTA channels, you might even be able to save $ and cancel Hulu Plus. At the end of the day, for all it's features, I can't decide if $40-$60 is worth it yet, leaning towards not.

Side note, I'm very surprised that for $60 they couldn't afford to add in ESPN but Sling could in a $20 package. That math feels off and Sony must have known people want their ESPN.

ShutterMunster

Wow. The first page of this thread is a doozy.

I dig the service, but I will not be subscribing due to the lack of ESPN. It is a lot more intuitive from a navigational standpoint than FIOS is. The image quality is also very good. I imagine YMMV, but for me it's better than my FIOS cable image quality. I love some of the DVR functionality and "catch up" stuff they're doing. If they can get Disney to commit, I may be on board. Pick up an Apple TV and get my HBO Go that way.

People who expect the "unbundling" of cable to be any cheaper than cable is now are delusional. The mere idea that cord cutting and this Sony service is seen as unbundling is problematic.

EDIT: Disney/ESPN made a deal with DirecTV, whether that deal excludes them from Sony's platform IDK. I would expect if they do get a deal done for the price to stay the same. You're not going to pay a premium for ESPN.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
depending on the demand I can see Sony adjusting the price just like they did with ps now.

I think they'll have to adjust it as it expands. $50 seems totally fine for these large markets, its a non starter in other markets where the price of cable is not exorbitant (in comparison)

ascii42

Add in ESPN channels at the $50 price point and I might be tempted. That's the only thing that's really missing for me.

Couldn't give a single shit about ESPN for my own personal use, so it's lack or inclusion is weightless to me. Have we had a comparison list of prices with other baseline services from other providers? Can it handle PPV? Framerate?

I need to get in and test this out. Not that I watch much tv anyway, but it's nice to have every now and then.

I'm really impressed with the user interface. Its butter smooth. Puts Xfinity X1 to shame. I'm willing to trade ESPN for my local comcast sportsnet station for the same price. I read somewhere that the video quality is 720p. I'm watching the Robert Morris VS North Florida game and the video quality is about the same quality as an ESPN3 stream through Chromecast. The video quality of non-sports programming seems much better

*The main guide doesn't feel efficient and is ugly, having you scroll sideways without a video PIP feed while scrolling.

The "You're Watching" guide that comes up by hitting O is what brings the magic. It shows you shows, and you can watch past episodes right away, so it makes cable TV feel like Netflix.

Add a show to your shows and you can watch past episodes from the last 28 days I believe, but I added a show and it's only giving me two episodes as options. I know it's had new episodes every week for the last few months, so this is odd.

However it seems Vue won't downgrade your picture to continue the video feed, but will instead pause and buffer, which is a bit annoying. If for some reason my shitty TWC internet is being slow, it's being slow, I'd rather watch 720p or SD for a few seconds than watch a loading bar. (Netflix/Sling TV will downgrade picture if needed)

VS Sling TV:
Sling TV buffers a tad more slowly (i.e. picture is SD and then takes longer to become HD)
Sling TV is $20

Overall, Vue really isn't a cord cutter option imo. It's more of competition for TWC or Direct TV than Sling or Netflix. If you want this more capable/Netflixing-cable UI and way of watching, you can get your cable from Sony instead of your current cable provider. With OTA channels, you might even be able to save $ and cancel Hulu Plus. At the end of the day, for all it's features, I can't decide if $40-$60 is worth it yet, leaning towards not.

Side note, I'm very surprised that for $60 they couldn't afford to add in ESPN but Sling could in a $20 package. That math feels off and Sony must have known people want their ESPN.

Is every channel available for DVR on Vue? No one is really talking about it, but that's probably why Sony couldn't get Disney/ABC on board. Sling TV lets cable networks decide whether viewers can go back 3 days or not and pause/rewind, etc. Sony may want it to be mandatory, and Disney/ABC is clearly not willing to let up based on what we are seeing with Sling TV. I like Sling's approach I think...cable networks will have to be slowly dragged out of the stone ages. I'd rather have ESPN than no ESPN, and hopefully they will allow us to pause one day..

To get myself back on topic, I didn't ditch cable only for financial reasons. I ditched it because it was a bad experience that didn't really comport with how I want to consume media.

The boxes are slow and sucky. The DVR crashed and erased all of my recordings every other month. It just kind of sucked. The iPad or phone watching experience seems to be balkanized and full of limitations. What I would like out of any of these over-the-top services first and foremost is a better experience.

Did you ever try DirecTV?

specdot

I'm honestly digging this service. Price is the killer for me though. Sony HAS to find a way to lower the price and get the ABC family of cannels on. My wife loves it because she gets her VH1 and Mob Wives (our guilty pleasure).
Is anyone having trouble with the local news though? I'm thinking it's because of blackout reasons. For that we have our HD antenna though.

Road

$50?

I guess we already know which "surprise" loss Sony will announce in January 2016.

Now we just need to know what they'll sell in February 2016 to cover for it.

Years ago. I assume it's pretty good these days?

Ya they revamped the UI and the DVR. I used to be TiVo exclusive for DVR, but I haven't switched back to TiVo cuz the DirecTV DVR does a pretty good job now. Every time I hear someone complaining about the UI or DVR, it sounds like it's always a cable company.

Death2494

Well that's the thing -- ESPN is a major reason why people are keeping cable. A cable alternative at this price ($50/month) in my opinion needs to have ESPN if it wants any chance to really take off.

Is there an article, survey, or study that supports what you're saying? While I do imagine this being a deal breaker or some, there are people out there who don't care for sports.

I think you are ignoring the fact that if you're not watching alot of television then you don't have to pay for it. You will not incur any late fees. You do not have to send back any equipment. You just don't renew the service. And when your favorite show starts back airing then start the service back up.

spwolf

It's also worth repeating that every Vue channel allows you to pause, rewind and, if you're not watching live TV, fast-forward. Yes, you can also skip the commercials.

Regarding the 3-device limit, Vue lets users stream to up to three consoles (but only one PS4) at the same time in a household--a huge advantage over Sling's one-device limit. Lampel also mentioned that, beyond consoles, there is no cap to the number of simultaneous streams on iPad or other devices that Vue might eventually expand to. The three-device limit applies only to consoles.

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/

Big article on CNET, pretty good.

Thing to note is that you get 28 days for every show you favorite, so 3 days you can use only for live stuff like news.

They also integrate with 10 on-demand services right now with 35 coming soon, meaning you will likely be able to easily watch all on-demand shows from those 10/45 channels. iPad app is coming in next few weeks.

Add the Disney channels and I'm in. I think this is a better deal than Sling since it supports 3 streams and includes DVR. Also... please make it available on other platforms.

Edit:
Stereo sound? WTF? Is this 1999?

Death2494

VS Sling TV:
Sling TV is $20

SlingTV can only be used on one device at a time. Each additional device is another $20

$50/ per month for 76 channels (no contract) is a bit much to ask. Maybe they'll bundle it in with PS+ or offer a 20% discount if you have PS+ which could bring it down to only $40

The DVR is a tad confusing. I mean if adding a show to your favorites is "recording" every single episode. Then that's pretty cool. No worries of storage or deletion till the 28th day at least. Everything just gets saved. The UI is good that it all blends pretty nice. It's a cool combination of Hulu/Netflix and live tv.

I think if they can get ESPN by football season and drop it to at least $40 then it's a no-brainer.

ViciousDS

Banned
So sling TV offers epsn, TNT, NBA TV.......does it also offer Comcast sports net like vue? If it does then i know what I'm subbing to.

Afrikan

Wait, Vue offers local Comcast Sports Net?

it really offers so much stuff, but Sony just doesn't know how to sell their shit sometimes...

with Vue you can get (someone correct me where I'm wrong)

MMA
UFC Events (Fox Sports 1&2)
Bellator MMA (Spike)
KickBoxing (Spike)
Premier Boxing (NBCSN/SPIKE)

Soccer
Premier League Soccer (NBCSN)
Champions League (Fox Sports)
Major League Soccer (Fox Sports)

MLB
on Fox Sports
TBS
reginal local teams (if you pay the extra $10)

NBA
TNT, TBS.... your local NBA team ( that extra $10)

and of course Sports TV programs... on Fox Sports...NBC Sports.. NFL Turning Point (NBCSN) ProFootball Talk... regional sports shows (again that extra $10)

and more for $50-$60 a month.

but the best part of all this, which Sling does not do all the time is. You don't have to watch these live to..shit just watch them. I know watching sports live is important, but sometimes it doesn't work out.. and to be able to get home, and have it already have EVERYTHING *recorded already*...and just be able to go through all the things you want to watch.... is great.

I had SlingTV for the past 2 months and I loved it... but I wasn't using it enough... I'd only watch ESPN for their NFL programs like NFL insiders/LIVE and NBA games and sometimes Sportcenter. BUT if I missed these programs..besides Sportscenter.. I'd have to wait until they showed them again. Be it at 1AM like it is for NFL Live or rerun of NBA games.

imo, that extra $30 is worth getting all those other sports events AND being able to watch them when I can.

the advantages to me about SlingTV is it being on multiple devices, instead of having to use your power hungry PS3 or PS4 (that you might want to game on at the same time). But being able to catch everything at your own leisure after gaming, might make up for it.

and of course $20 a month. (that's about 2 drinks at a club)

The only sport I give a shit about is baseball. If this service offers me St. Louis Cardinals game from Fox Sports when it comes to my area then I'm definitely in for $50 a month with all those other features. No jump in price and no contracts is great.

Top Bottom