• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

TalonJH

It would cost me less to add TV to my cable internet package and I'd get more channels. Plus, if/when Comcast adds data caps to my area, it won't cut into that.

Ouch. I'm lucky to live in a fairly competitive area. Not at my address, but the surrounding area. New apartment buildings nearby get 100/200 Mbps fiber for $35/mo.

I'm on an intro offer from Comcast. $50/mo 105 Mbps, HBO, basic cable, no caps.

...Can...can I stay with you?

The Box Fee is for every single box.

You sure about that?
TragicComedy is a soldier so he shouldn't be bothered my final "threat". He's also been on tour a long time..so long he doesnt know how local sports team blackout rules work.

Here is the rest of that February bill he was rock hard to see. Here are your taxes, here is your lack of box rental fee. Here is what I paid last month.

0eoONi6.png

gh9Eld6.png

This month..even less. 105 bucks. TWC Movie Pass gone, Epix gone, and they are now waiving the modem lease fee. Here in NY we pay a lot for everything else but we don't have to pay a lot for cable. Keep that L, homie.

If you want to keep harping on how I said 55 dollars (when it is actually 62 dollars) then keep loading those blanks into your water pistol. Its hard to believe I didn't know how much I was paying for Epix off the top of my head, I know! I was off by the amount of money it cost to sponsor a sick child somewhere.

Finally @IamRandom.
No I have been a Time Warner Cable customer for 5 years. Before that was Direct TV w/ TWC Broadband.

theDeeDubs

I've been trying out the Slingtv trial and can't help but shake the fear that all this will eventually lead to bandwidth caps galore.

For someone like me, slingtv is a little more enticing because of its price. I haven't had cable tv in probably 10 years, and the thing that drove me away was mainly the price I paid per the actual amount of time I was really watching it. $20 is close to pushing it, but it is a little closer to that "why not" price than $50 is.

My ISP has an unenforced cap(for now), but I wouldn't want to use up my bandwidth (three streams would potentially make that even worse) for a similar to slightly better price for way less channels than cable already offers. Slingtv really has made a safe package when you think about it. ESPN, hgtv/food network, Disney/cartoon network, and AMC. Hits the big demographics for a reasonably swallowable price.

VUE seems about as dumb as PS Now.

Really disappointed at that price + no ESPN.

I'll stick to Sling TV ($20) + Netflix + HDTV Antenna + my parents' HBO Go.

Side note: yes, having every streaming service becomes expensive. The point is you get the few that appeal to you. If you're using 10 different ones, then you are not someone who wants to pay less for less tv than what cable forces upon you, you're better off getting cable.

Megatron

The walstreet journal had an article about this today I encourage people to read. Apple has a tv service under way that includes abc, cbs and fox (not sure what else, probably espn?) and the price ranges between $25-35 month. So I am interested in that when it starts. This playstation vue is laughably bad.

TalonJH

It's cheaper than I thought it would be. I figure I would have to have this and Sling to cover most of what I need.

My problem is that Netflix and Hulu are creating great shows so I think I will stick with them and CBS.com. The only big things Im missing are AMC and HBO and I would be fine with my current set up.

Raistlin

Hmmm. $42 for 155 channels with my current ISP or $49 for this shit?

I wonder....
Does that $42 include taxes and fees? How many rooms are being utilized? Do you have DVR service? Is it whole house DRV? Are you including those hardware rental fees?

At least compare apples to apples.

$50? I want al-a-cart, not bloated packages. If this is how traditional live broadcast channels want to die...so be it.

Maybe I'll at least get a proper media remote for the PS4 out of this. CEC doesn't work with my receiver and I hate HATE using a controller.

Death2494

Hmmm. $42 for 155 channels with my current ISP or $49 for this shit?

I wonder....

No contract. Get it when you want it. Months you don't watch TV, don't pay for it. As simple as that really. Also, you also pay for additional boxes in other rooms. It's not great but definitely an alternative.

$42/month regardless of how much TV you watch. mandatory

or

$50/month when you want to watch for TV. optional

I didn't realize i lived close enough to start the trial. Played around for about an hour or so.

And i'm pretty damn impressed. The UI is smooth as butter and buffering is non existent (75Mb speed but don't let that fool you because i get some pretty shitty buffering sometimes). DVR works like any normal DVR. 10 sec quick rewind or ff for live feed. Can start a show over if you're late. There is no typical rec button. Once you add a show to your favorites it saves every show for you. I was trying to test it out but most of the shows i saved are in "catch up" mode. So if you want to start your Seinfeld marathon but missed the first hour, you can start the episodes you missed even if it wasn't recorded. Pretty cool. Only thing is not every show is in "catch up" mode. You can even watch episodes from days ago but some stuff is grayed out. Only bummer i noticed you can't FF shows in "catch up" even though the show is finished. I guess that's the only perk for having a show recorded.

Picture quality is great, going back and forth with the XMB is instant and smooth (no drop in quality at all). Can't use video share but you can take screenshots using the share button which is neat. Not sure if i'll commit to $50 yet. Get Disney, give me PC support, and a small PS+ discount wouldn't hurt.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The walstreet journal had an article about this today I encourage people to read. Apple has a tv service under way that includes abc, cbs and fox (not sure what else, probably espn?) and the price ranges between $25-35 month. So I am interested in that when it starts. This playstation vue is laughably bad.

That price point doesn't seem possible unless it's just a bare collection of channels. I can get ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC over the air for free, so a service is going to have to give me a lot more than that.

Death2494

You don't even know what features are being offered or listed maybe 15 channels. Congratulations. I assume you already own an Iphone too.

Nafai1123

Banned
I didn't realize i lived close enough to start the trial. Played around for about an hour or so.

And i'm pretty damn impressed. The UI is smooth as butter and buffering is non existent (75Mb speed but don't let that fool you because i get some pretty shitty buffering sometimes). DVR works like any normal DVR. 10 sec quick rewind or ff for live feed. Can start a show over if you're late. There is no typical rec button. Once you add a show to your favorites it saves every show for you. I was trying to test it out but most of the shows i saved are in "catch up" mode. So if you want to start your Seinfeld marathon but missed the first hour, you can start the episodes you missed even if it wasn't recorded. Pretty cool. Only thing is not every show is in "catch up" mode. You can even watch episodes from days ago but some stuff is grayed out. Only bummer i noticed you can't FF shows in "catch up" even though the show is finished. I guess that's the only perk for having a show recorded.

Picture quality is great, going back and forth with the XMB is instant and smooth (no drop in quality at all). Can't use video share but you can take screenshots using the share button which is neat. Not sure if i'll commit to $50 yet. Get Disney, give me PC support, and a small PS+ discount wouldn't hurt.

Nice impressions. I'll def use the free trial when it ends up in my area.

Death2494

I don't get people saying Sling is better. It has slim pickings for channels, no DVR, and one stream. Vue is better pricing than cable with DVR for many of us, for sure.

Nice

This is what SlingTV is banking on.

1 device only for $20
Say you want it on 2 devices $40
No DVR feature at all

I have a cable package, and I can only get about 60% of the channels I'm paying since I don't have boxes for those rooms.

I did the trial and I have no idea how the DVR works. I'm trying to set a show later tonight to record and it just shows that the show has been added to my shows. Also my guide doesn't look like the guide in press screenshots. This is really confusing.

I don't get people saying Sling is better. It has slim pickings for channels, no DVR, and one stream. Vue is better pricing than cable with DVR for many of us, for sure.

Nice

Comes down to preference. I want to cut the chord because I don't want or watch 1500 channels that Sony has on Vue. ESPN, TBS, AMC, ESPN, Disney, ABC Family, HGTV, these are all awesome channels that I'm happy with and they're adding more by the end of the month for free.

If you want all the cable channels and DVR, sure, Vue has those things. But if you want to cut the chord and can deal with the limited on demand sling functionality (it is only $20 + lets you watch on mobile) sling is the winner.

None of these services are perfect. It's all preference and cost is a huge factor.

If you want to keep harping on how I said 55 dollars (when it is actually 62 dollars) then keep loading those blanks into your water pistol. Its hard to believe I didn't know how much I was paying for Epix off the top of my head, I know! I was off by the amount of money it cost to sponsor a sick child somewhere.

So to get this straight: you said one thing, when you meant another altogether. And you called us morons.

You're a genius! (For the record, your bill does not equate to $62 per month, but you knew that already)

spwolf

interface that is fast, intuitive and integrates seamlessly catchup services is by far the best part of the service... i would pay more for it than my cable right now.

Ludist210

For casual TV watchers, it is. Like my family.

We cut the cord on Sunday because Charter moved Disney Junior, one of the few channels we actively watched (our daughter loves it on weekends), to a premium tier. In order to get it, we needed to pay another $10 per month. We were already paying $60 for two cable boxes, neither with DVR, and another $60 for internet. This doesn't include taxes...we were somewhere around $129 a month.

So for $25 a month (to keep Disney Junior) plus the cost of internet, we can use Sling TV. $125 versus $85 is a big difference. (Plus we have an antenna for ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, NBC, and PBS.) For now, it makes more sense.

molnizzle

No a la carte is hugely disappointing. That's like... the entire point of cord cutting.

I'll stick to iTunes season passes and ripping my Blu-rays. I simply refuse to ever watch another commercial again.

fiyah

Everyone mentioning SlingTV needs to remember that Sling is limited to 1 stream per account. If Vue had ESPN, I would switch in a heartbeat. There are 4 boxes in my house and only 1 has a DVR recording even tho it's a whole house DVR and my bill is $280 per month. With Vue, I could theoretically cut my bill down to $110 per month. Because every room has a PS3 or a PS4.

Everyone mentioning SlingTV needs to remember that Sling is limited to 1 stream per account. If Vue had ESPN, I would switch in a heartbeat. There are 4 boxes in my house and only 1 has a DVR recording even tho it's a whole house DVR and my bill is $280 per month. With Vue, I could theoretically cut my bill down to $110 per month. Because every room has a PS3 or a PS4.

You have four Playstations in your home? Madness.

You sure about that?
TragicComedy is a soldier so he shouldn't be bothered my final "threat". He's also been on tour a long time..so long he doesnt know how local sports team blackout rules work.

Here is the rest of that February bill he was rock hard to see. Here are your taxes, here is your lack of box rental fee. Here is what I paid last month.

This month..even less. 105 bucks. TWC Movie Pass gone, Epix gone, and they are now waiving the modem lease fee. Here in NY we pay a lot for everything else but we don't have to pay a lot for cable. Keep that L, homie.

Finally @IamRandom.
No I have been a Time Warner Cable customer for 5 years. Before that was Direct TV w/ TWC Broadband.

That bill seems to indicate that you pay around $68. That's $156 a year more than your initial price.

You didn't need to know any of this off the top of your head, you could have just taken 5 minutes to research it before you called people out.

This thread is teaching me so much. How to do math, how much people are willing to over pay for television and having multiple game consoles equals mania.

Well I have 2 PS3s, 1 PS4, 1 Xbone, 2 360s, 3 Rokus and 3 Apple TVs. How manic does that make me, papi?

Not going to work for me. If I cut out cable from my Verizon sub and add this $50 package I'm probably about at the same total monthly cost I'm paying now, with way less channels and no ABC networks.

That bill seems to indicate that you pay around $68. That's $156 a year more than your initial price.

You didn't need to know any of this off the top of your head, you could have just taken 5 minutes to research it before you called people out.

A few of us made some errors today. Like you assuming I paid a monthly rental fee for my box. My math was off, its still nowhere near a hundreds dollars a month for TV that some people foolishly pay. And...take this with the spirit in which its intended..if the difference is 156 dollars/year, by your calculation, then that is an amount that wouldnt put a dent in my coin purse.

Anyway, cheers to everyone. Its been a fun afternoon.

geomon

Pricing and selection is disappointing and a deal breaker for me. Not that Vue's channels are bad but Sling gives me more of what I want at a lesser price.

For instance, I don't watch BET, CMT, BRAVO, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, Fox News, MTV, Nickelodeon, SyFy, TBS, TNT, Telemundo, or VH1. But I do watch ESPN and AMC and I get the major networks through an HD antenna.

So for me, Sling is just a better buy.

A few of us made some errors today. Like you assuming I paid a monthly rental fee for my box. My math was off, its still nowhere near a hundreds dollars a month for TV that some people foolishly pay. And...take this with the spirit in which its intended..if the difference is 156 dollars/year, by your calculation, then that is an amount that wouldnt put a dent in my coin purse.

This is the second time you have said that you are leaving the discussion. I wonder if it will stick this time?

The issue at hand was never about what does or does not dent your coin purse. I am sure you coin purse is very huge and impressive and brings all the boys to the yard. You came in here and made a series of false statements. When you were called out on them, you have waterbugged around, doubled down on insulting people, and stressed you superior intelligence and financial standing.

Your math was wrong from the get go. You called people morons for overpaying for cable under false pretenses and invented math. Your fictional savings were due to your savvy dealings with the cable company...only you don't have any savvy dealings. You pay very close to the national average for a cable bill.

Now you want to brag about your paycheck? LOL. Relevant data, big guy. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Guess what: $156 wouldn't put a dent in a lot of our coin purses. For others, it would. That's beside the point.

2 PS3s and 2 PS4s...not all mine tho...but 1 for each room...but weirdly enough...none in the living room.

Makes sense. I don't think the multiple Playstation situation would be the case for a lot of people, but I might be wrong. You'd need at least three (for the time being) to take full advantage of this.

Lynn616

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? Who is your ISP? What's your data cap?

Comcast. They have data cap in the following cities unless they added or subtracted more since last I checked.

Atlanta, Georgia
Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama
Charleston, South Carolina
Tuscon, Arizona
Knoxville and Memphis, Tennessee
Jackson, Mississippi
Augusta and Savannah, Georgia
Central Kentucky
the entire state of Maine

The Argus

I'm eligible to try this out but I really don't like having to put my credit card in and then having to remember to cancel the service. I skimmed the topic real quick but didn't see if whether canceling Vue instantly kills access or can I still ride the week out?

I'm eligible to try this out but I really don't like having to put my credit card in and then having to remember to cancel the service. I skimmed the topic real quick but didn't see if whether canceling Vue instantly kills access or can I still ride the week out?
Just set a reminder on your phone or something to cancel.
That's what I do.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Sling TV includes ESPN and it's only $20. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board period.

The drawing board, like Sling TV, is cutting channels to 20 vs. 60. And Yes they should. They should cut on the number of channels, offer packs and offer a lower entry price point (aka package along with its pricier packages). It's clear that's what the consumer wants, until they start complaining about limited selection - but there is always something to complain about so that's a given.

To get myself back on topic, I didn't ditch cable only for financial reasons. I ditched it because it was a bad experience that didn't really comport with how I want to consume media.

The boxes are slow and sucky. The DVR crashed and erased all of my recordings every other month. It just kind of sucked. The iPad or phone watching experience seems to be balkanized and full of limitations. What I would like out of any of these over-the-top services first and foremost is a better experience.

Top Bottom