• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

RedAssedApe

Banned
Playstation Vue launches Today Starting at $49.99.

- three channel tiers ($49.99-69.99)
- test cities (NY, Chicago, Philly)
- NO ESPN or ABC channels

This pretty much echoes my sentiments.

The Verge said:
For most Vue users, that $50 package should be sufficient, as it covers a whole host of some of the most popular channels you’ll get in any cable package. It includes local broadcast channels from NBC, Fox, and CBS as well as cable networks like TNT, TBS, USA, MTV, Animal Planet, BET, FX, Comedy Central, AMC (starting next month), and many more. It’s an impressive lineup — when I thought about how I use cable TV currently, I realized that the entry level Vue package would cover a huge chunk of the shows I like to keep up with.

Unfortunately, there’s one huge hole in Sony’s lineup — ABC. That means no ESPN, no Disney, or even the local ABC affiliate so you can keep up with Modern Family. It’s a real shame, as it keeps Vue from truly being a one-stop service you can use to cut the cord for good — we’re keeping our fingers crossed that ABC and Sony will be able to come to an agreement sooner than later.

Cnet does a comparison between Vue and Sling TV:

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/

Lock if old.

marrec

Banned
What's the point?

What's the point of Playstation Vue as a 'cable replacement' when it costs basically the same price and you have less access to it?

Anything that isn't cable needs to have an extremely cheap option of limited channels with accessibility. Sling TV is a move in the right direction but still isn't quite there.

Cable by any other name would smell just as shitty. That's what Vue is seemingly.

Leatherface

So it's basically a cable package and priced as such. Not very enticing actually for cord cutters. I'd rather have SlingTV for $20.

newjeruse

Haahahahahahaha
$50 dollars with no lower tier...absolutely hilarious
The price isn't the problem for me, it's the lack of ESPN and MLB Network. No ESPN is a non-starter for me and many others. That's why they're able to charge a ridiculous amount on a per subscriber basis.

SerTapTap

Features sound great next to Sling TV, but it definitely needs a lower tier. On the other hand, maybe channels only signed on because it's not cheaper than cable.

And ESPN is of course a huge problem. I wonder what % of people hold onto cable just for that alone.

Derpyduck

Banned
50 dollars and no ESPN. Hahaha get fucked, Sony. When my cable company is cheaper and offers better channels, you've failed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
cnet said:
You'll still need to have broadband Internet for both, which means at least $40 per month and often a long-term contract. That said, minimizing contractual commitments and hidden fees is usually great for consumers, and that's one huge advantage they both share.

thats the one thing I guess. but yeah its not cheaper than a cable bundle and you can usually get hbogo thrown in for $10 even if you're on the starter plan that gets you OTA channels/local affiliates :\

johnny956

3 streams per account. Wonder if they'll crack down on people sharing accounts. That's the only way I would sign up for this instead of Sling which I currently have.

DOWN

Banned
Haahahahahahaha
$50 dollars with no lower tier...absolutely hilarious

lol that price is shit
What the hell are they thinking with that pricing?

You have serious delusions about what the price of a cable replacement would be

Cable with DVR usually costs much more than Vue. No way they'd ever offer most of the cable channels at some dirt cheap a la carte price in te current market.

Aside from the contract situation, how does this differ from actual cable? This seems totally misguided. $50 isn't cheaper than a similar cable package that actually includes ESPN and ABC, and doesn't require a PS3/4 to access.

Sling is on the right track. This is missing the point.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What is the point of cutting the cable if you are paying the same amount of money to another company.

Sony really missed the mark with this pricing strategy.

*If* they had ABC and ESPN, the $50 price point might be be worth considering.

At this point, though, it's an absolute joke. Sling.TV plus hulu is like, $28 a month. And comes with ESPN.

bigkrev

This has regional sports networks (Comcast Sportsnet in Philly here), which has been my number 1 problem with cutting the cord (b/c blackout rules prevent the online options from being solutions).

The problem is that you can probably just get a cable plan with way more channels for not that much more.

labaronx

Cable with DVR usually costs much more than Vue

Hell with cablebox rental and taxes my Comcast basic still comes up to 80 bucks. I mainly watch amc comedy central...They gets espn then i may be down

What's the point?

What's the point of Playstation Vue as a 'cable replacement' when it costs basically the same price and you have less access to it?

Anything that isn't cable needs to have an extremely cheap option of limited channels with accessibility. Sling TV is a move in the right direction but still isn't quite there.

Cable by any other name would smell just as shitty. That's what Vue is seemingly.

I came here to say basically the same thing.

Its not price competitive enough. Drop those prices by half, get ESPN on board... then we're in business. Otherwise, insta-fail.

muteki

In 10 years we will all be complaining about our expensive streaming TV packages with tons of useless channels.

Mrbob

ESPN is the reason for higher cable costs in the first place. Imagine how expensive Vue will be once they lock down ESPN.

This doesn't seem like a proper cable replacement. Just a similar alternative to the garbage we have on cable right now.

Ludist210

$50 is only $20 less than I was paying for cable with far more channels (most of which I didn't watch, but they were there). Sling is a much better value, even if you can only use one stream at a time (which isn't a big deal for my family at this point). Plus ESPN not being on the plan that costs more money is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

mcrommert

Banned

Cable with DVR usually costs much more than Vue. No way they'd ever offer most of the cable channels at some dirt cheap a la carte price in te current market.

No Espn or Disney...dead in the water

This kind of shows just how great the deal that slingtv is putting out is

RedAssedApe

Banned
i dont really care about espn. just the lack of abc in general kills it for me too. this wouldnt even replace my starter tv package for time warner cable and its already more than twice the cost.

ESPN is the reason for higher cable costs in the first place. Imagine how expensive Vue will be once they lock down ESPN.

This doesn't seem like a proper cable replacement. Just a similar alternative to the garbage we have on cable right now.

Doesn't the much cheaper Sling package include ESPN?

Mrbob

Sling TV includes ESPN and it's only $20. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board period.

Sling doesn't have many channels though. Most of that money funneling to ESPN. I don't see Sling as a good alternative yet either. Needs more channel options.

AmuroChan

Looking forward to trying this service. $50 seems reasonable to me when it comes with full cloud DVR and I can stream to multiple devices. And best of all, no contract. I've been waiting so long to finally get off of Cablevision. If this works well, it's going to save me a lot of money.

mcrommert

Banned
Sling doesn't have many channels though. Most of that money funneling to ESPN. I don't see Sling as a good alternative yet either. Needs more channel options.

you can add more packs to them...they already added amc before they even launched...they will continue to roll out new channels either in new packages or in the main package

Toki767

I don't necessarily think Sling TV is that much of a better deal unless you watch ESPN or you are basically the only TV watcher in the house.

Neither option seem worth it at the moment.

marrec

Banned
It's funny because you can end up having multiple separate services that cost more than cable.

$50? Nah.

Right now I'm sitting on Sling, Hulu +, and Netflix... while also buying season passes to multiple shows.

Cord cutting is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

I think the price point is actually pretty good. It's got all the channels I want, I could cut out my Hulu Plus @ $15.00 a month, and DVR is included for 28 days of storage w/ no hardware fees.

Top Bottom