• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

AmuroChan

50 bucks a month isn't all that bad for families with multiple TV's, you can save a decent amount.

Bingo. Cable companies will nickel and dime you to death for anything extra. $15 extra a month for a second box w/ DVR that also comes with a $5 convenience fee. Really Cablevision?

This nails it perfectly. People cut the cord to save money since there are now free alternatives. This saves you no money essentially and has less content. The cloud-based DVR is neat but unless this thing is $29.99 or thereabouts without ESPN, it's DOA.

This will save me over $100 a month compared to what I pay Cablevision now. Will gladly cut the cord for that kind of savings.

jmaine_ph

Sling has 20 channels, No DVR (Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward Limitations), Bandwidth Limitations, Only One Stream Account.

Don't get me wrong without ESPN and ABC Bue is a no go for me but Vue has way better features for the price.

Toki767

$50 for service on a single TV? Or can you buy a second PS4 and use the same $50 sub? Either way it's not cheaper than my current DirecTV on 4 TV's with DVR, this clearly isn't a service for me. SlingTV is far more interesting with a much better price point in my opinion.

It's $50 for 3 simultaneous streams.

Sling TV is $20 for 1 stream.

Channels aside, Sling TV price point isn't necessarily better.

Raistlin

Playstation Vue launches Today Starting at $49.99.

- three channel tiers ($49.99-69.99)
- test cities (NY, Chicago, Philly)
- NO ESPN or ABC channels

This pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Cnet does a comparison between Vue and Sling TV:

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/

Lock if old.
So it would seem the concerns regarding SlingTV I brought up in that other thread are being proven true. Disney (ESPN / ABC) is running the show over there, being stingy in what they'll pay out for other networks, and completely gimping how you can get content.

This is doing it right. A great UI, single payer / multiple streams, and really nice 'DVR' services that are consistent across content providers. Plus they aren't going to keep this to only Sony hardware (there's talk of Roku, etc). That was a concern of mine, and something I'd see 'old Sony' trying to pull. Only thing I don't like is the following (assuming I'm reading it right):

When PlayStation Vue goes live today, Sony's offering users a seven-day trial period after which they'll have to commit to one of three monthly pricing tiers: $50 for Access; $60 for Core; $70 for Elite. The tiers are based on access to additional channel lineups -- not increased remote DVR storage -- with Core adding a sports package and Elite bolstering that with a lifestyle, music and family programming package.
I don't like the tiered approach, and am hoping they break it out into actual add-on packages to the core.

I shouldn't have to pay for a sports package if I want to add lifestyle, music, and family programming. That's too close to how cable does it, and should instead be a point of differentiation.

I'm not sure how anyone ever expects to drive down the costs of TV programming when people see anything and say "no ESPN no buy." That kind of attitude is what gives them the clout to basically set whatever ridiculous fees they want. SlingTV is a good price at $20 a month for ESPN/ABC, but extra features are extremely limited (no DVR is a tough sell for me.) I doubt without DirecTV eating some of the cost that they'd ever be able to get the price that low in the first place.

thuway

Sling is awful in any family setting. Also cable itself is never 50 dollars a month with no hidden costs. This is an Alright deal but it needs to be 10 bucks cheaper and a bundle with PS Now and Movies Unlimited wouldn't hurt.

Guevara

I was pretty harsh initially, but two things I like:

1. Sports are segregated. For me this is a great move because I don't care about sports and don't want to subsidize it.

2. Three simultaneous streams makes $50 way more palatable.

It seems like a good idea that'll grow into a nice alternative to cable/satellite, but I really dislike them muddying the Playstation name with stuff like this. PS should be the branding for everything they do relating to games. This should be like, Xperia Vue or something.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Weren't they in talks with Disney? This is just a trial, they may add the missing stuff later (they better).

I'd imagine it will cost more if you want Disney.

I'm more interested to see how this expands. Are they going to tier this off? $50 might be a good value in NYC or the other initial test cities but its certainly not going to be the case in markets where the average cost of cable is much lower.

VanWinkle

Vue is a way better deal than Sling TV. It's not even a contest. Three times more channels, DVR functionality, pause live TV, three simultaneous streams around the house, etc. My cable company definitely doesn't offer all of that functionality for $50, even if they may offer more channels.

Now, lack of ESPN is a big deal, though. Not for me at all, but for some obviously. Hope they get that in there.

jmaine_ph

It seems like a good idea that'll grow into a nice alternative to cable/satellite, but I really dislike them muddying the Playstation name with stuff like this. PS should be the branding for everything they do relating to games. This should be like, Xperia Vue or something.
Believe it or not PS is a much more respected brand name than even Sony lol.

DWinn7

It's definitely a better value if you have multiple TV watchers in the house. I get killed on my cable bill because I have to pay for 4 boxes, multi-room DVR, extra charges for streaming, and all these ancillary fees that make no sense whatsoever.

You're right. I guess "Better value" isn't the best choice of words. Because thes HD DVR boxes do add up. So a solid $50 for up to three rooms is better.

Leatherface

FireTV+ XBMC w/ USTVNOW app for all network stations (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,PBS)+SLING= $20 for all these stations:

SLINGTV: $20

01. ESPN
02. ESPN2
03. AMC
04. FOOD NETWORK
05. EL RAY
06. HGTV
07. IFC
08. TNT
09. TRAVEL CHANNEL
10. TBS
11. MAKER
12. ADULT SWIM
13. CNN
14. DISNEY
15. CARTOON NETWORK
16. ABC FAMILY
17. GALAVISION
..and coming this month to basic package:
18. A&E
19. HISTORY CHANNEL
20. LIFETIME
21. H2

USTVNOW : $0

1. ABC
2. CBS
3. CW
4. FOX
5. NBC
6. PBS

Add in Netflix for $8.99 and for less than $30 you have more than enough entertainment, and without any contracts at a very reasonable price.

Elandyll

Banned
If the $69.99 option incuded AMC and the ABC/ Disney channels, I'd switch in a heartbeat tbh. Those are literally the only channels we are missing from our DirecTV watching habits, and right now DirecTV costs us $135/ month (including HBO, which will now be a possible $15 split).

So basically PS Vue + HBO would be a $85/ month vs $135/ month. I was hoping for more of a difference, but it's still a decent monthly saving.

But the entry level one is too high priced imo @ $49.99, and the top tier does not have some much needed channels (particularly for families with kids).

Good try, needs to be better (for me at least) and maybe being $10 cheaper to be really attractive.

border

Another intriguing Sony idea ruined by lack of content and absolutely terrible pricing.

Toss it on the pile of corpses, along with Playstation Now, Playstation TV and PS Vita.

I hope Sling comes out with a $5-$10 add on pack that will include some Viacom channels. I would be more than happy to pay extra for Comedy Central.

Toki767

FireTV+ XBMC w/ USTVNOW app for all network stations (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,PBS)+SLING= $20 for all these stations:

Add in Netflix for $8.99 and for less than $30 you have more than enough entertainment, and without any contracts at a very reasonable price.
That's nice and all, but what do you do when you have a family with multiple TV watchers in the house?

labaronx

This is a good point; I'm a bachelor so I can admit that I didn't think of that.

Still though, no Disney channels is a major blow for a service of this price.

Even as a bachelor

Comcast sucks for basic and internet i pay $170 a month plus tax

With google fiber hitting my area by late summer their best internet + vue will cost me roughly 120. Saving myself 600 a year aint bad at all

Rezae

No thanks. I barely watch much TV these days outside of local HD broadcasts with my antenna. I get all of the networks and a lot of other random channels. If anything, I'll probably sign up for Sling, as that'll cover ESPN for me and Disney for my daughter. Yeah Vue has a decent # of channels, but in the 8 or so months since I dropped cable, I realized I only watched about 3 channels anyway. $20 is probably the cap I'll pay for any kind of TV service at this point. At $50, I may as well just sign up to add TV service to my internet subscription. Wouldn't be much different, maybe cheaper.

marrec

Banned
It's really not, on numerous grounds

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you want a "cable replacement" in the most literal sense of the word than this service is probably your best bet.

But I think cord cutters aren't looking for "cable replacements" they're looking for numerous discrete services that build up to a relatively smaller selection of channels they want for cheaper than cable.

Despite my having Sling and Hulu and Netflix, all of that still costs less than Vue and gives me exactly what I want without a preponderance of chaff to weed through.

_h8bit

Banned
I just want to be able to pick what channels I want. I really only would be interested in like, 3-5 of them realistically. I definitely don't need 60.

Journey

Banned
I may be in the minority, but I don't care about ESPN, I rather have another network bundled, hopefully someone does HBO or Showtime instead of ESPN... but $50! WTF?

Came to post this. This isn't a deal at all. Just like their PS Now prices this is a complete joke. Unless you despise giving one more dollar to your cable company out of spite(which there is a lot of spite to be had)...you're essentially paying the same amount of money for less channels. Which is just like PS Now. I can rent a PS3 game that I can find at Gamestop for cheaper and get to keep the game as well.

Morons. They don't understand the market and I guarantee this will flop.

+1 My sentiments exactly.

marrec

Banned
I didn't see this in any of the press released but can you Remote Play games via Vita while watching Vue?

If not, there's even LESS of an incentive for me to get this service.

I just want to be able to pick what channels I want. I really only would be interested in like, 3-5 of them realistically. I definitely don't need 60.

I think everyone wants that but there needs to be way more support from consumers to lobby these companies to change things. Their contracts have hundreds of provisions about what needs to be bundled with what, what "tier" of packages need to include certain channels otherwise you can't broadcast their content, etc. Disney/ESPN is by far the worst offender, and from what I've heard can cost your average television provider up to 10 or so dollars *PER SUBSCRIBER*. So 10% of their revenue off a $100 triple play goes straight to ESPN.

Az987

all good things
I think $40 would be good. They're in talks with Disney still to get their channels. I have a feeling they'll get them since they had stopped negotiating but talks were reported to have picked up again after the spiderman deal was announced.

All I want is a cheap way to get AMC, FX and HBO.

50 dollars seems high but it's not bad considering there three streams per account, right? Three boxes and DVR through your local cable company would cost double this.. At least for me. They need to offer packages with different amount of streams to make this seem a bit more consumer friendly. $35 for one stream would be appealing for a lot of people I think.

I could split the cost with my brother who lives elsewhere and save quite a bit of money with this.

LJ11

The hidden costs are what drive up cable prices. Sure it may be 50-60 bucks but after taxes, dvr fees (unless you don't want a dvr), and an extra sports package that some providers charge for NFL/MLB/SEC/CBS etc you're hitting 100 quick.

Still waiting for the sweet spot.

Comcast Digital Starter is like $69 before you add DVR rental, HBO, or an extra box, and whatever other taxes and fees they decide to add.

If this was $50 or a even little more with ESPN and ABC, I'd be in.

Edit: That is, if solo internet service prices are reasonable.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
As a cord cutter, this thing doesn't even remotely interest me at that price. Sling TV offers exactly what I want and at a low price.

Now that my first 12 months is out with DirectTV our bill has shot up to 100$ and I don't even have movie channels or fox sports channels. Sucks.

If they can cut a deal with ABC then I would consider something like this I think

Raistlin

Regarding the price versus SlingTV and cable / sat ... people seem to not be factoring everything that's going on here.

Versus SlingTV:
* This is 3 streams. So for a typical household where 2 to 3 streams are potentially active at a given time, this is either only bit more or actually less than Sling, but with far more stations
* The feature set is far better, and appears to be consistent with all channels / content - Pausing live TV, cloud DVR, etc. Those features are huge.
* I'd argue a much nicer layout. While that's subjective, objectively it has far more customization in terms of sorting, searching, etc​

Versus Cable / Sat:
* Price when considering features. While yes the base cost is quite similar to cable / sat packages, you need to factor in hardware. You want 2 or 3 rooms? You're paying a rental per month for each box (at least after any initial discounts run out for new service). You want a DVR? That's more than a box. Whole home DVR? Even more from most providers
* Features - Few providers offer a cloud DVR. You need to manage your DVR yourself. My only concern is how long you can keep recordings. With a traditional DVR, it's forever - at least while you still have room.
* UI - While some providers are better than others and TiVo is usually an option for cable / fiber providers, this UI is obviously better than most. If only for the far better sorting and searching.​

Obviously in all the above, one needs to determine for themselves if the lineup itself meets their requirements. If it does though, I find it hard to argue the costs are out of line, or that the features are anything but industry leading.

Quotient

Sling is awful in any family setting. Also cable itself is never 50 dollars a month with no hidden costs. This is an Alright deal but it needs to be 10 bucks cheaper and a bundle with PS Now and Movies Unlimited wouldn't hurt.

My thoughts too. Playstation Vue offers alot of nice features - DVR, 3 streams. I do agree the price-point is a little to high.

I personally prefer a la carte - just have a list of channels and their associated price and you create your own 'package'.

First time service, brand new world of actual cable alternatives and everybody is going to crucify them not it not being exactly what they want.

Depending on your tastes you might not mind the lack of ESPN. Its a test market, happens all the time and adjust as needed.

Chill bros.

jmaine_ph

Now that my first 12 months is out with DirectTV our bill has shot up to 100$ and I don't even have movie channels or fox sports channels. Sucks.

If they can cut a deal with ABC then I would consider something like this I think
Yup people are factoring in their bundle prices. Once that bundle contract is up your cable price will shoot up almost double. Vue stays the same. If they get ABC, ESPN, Disney I think they have a shot

Bgamer90

Banned
First time service, brand new world of actual cable alternatives and everybody is going to crucify them not it not being exactly what they want.

Depending on your tastes you might not mind the lack of ESPN. Its a test market, happens all the time and adjust as needed.

Chill bros.

Well that's the thing -- ESPN is a major reason why people are keeping cable. A cable alternative at this price ($50/month) in my opinion needs to have ESPN if it wants any chance to really take off.

Top Bottom