• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vue (Streaming TV Service) Launches Today Starting at $49.99

This sort of pricing isn't going to help them go up against competing services. It's cheaper for me to have my basic TV service with more channels and my internet than using this service and just internet, so no thanks.

Without the Disney family of channels (ABC/ESPN/etc), this service is severely hampered.
Havnig ESPN is a huge plus for SlingTV

Sony really seems out of touch with reality when pricing their new services

Came to post this. This isn't a deal at all. Just like their PS Now prices this is a complete joke. Unless you despise giving one more dollar to your cable company out of spite(which there is a lot of spite to be had)...you're essentially paying the same amount of money for less channels. Which is just like PS Now. I can rent a PS3 game that I can find at Gamestop for cheaper and get to keep the game as well.

Morons. They don't understand the market and I guarantee this will flop.

Mindlog

Yeah Disney is going to blow out any alternative cable packages.
They've leveraged their position into demanding higher and higher fees.
They've taken those fees and offered leagues higher and higher content contracts.
Those extravagant contracts means Disney wants to raise fees for that valuable content.

Other networks want to do the same thing.
It's an exploding doomed unsustainable cycle.

scitek

Features sound great next to Sling TV, but it definitely needs a lower tier. On the other hand, maybe channels only signed on because it's not cheaper than cable.

And ESPN is of course a huge problem. I wonder what % of people hold onto cable just for that alone.

I can't believe that SlingTV won't have full-featured DVR functionality and whatnot at some point. It might cost extra, though...

Sling doesn't have many channels though. Most of that money funneling to ESPN. I don't see Sling as a good alternative yet either. Needs more channel options.

Having more channels doesn't always mean better. We care about the quality of the channels. One of the big complaints about cable is being forced into a package and having to pay for tons of crap channels. So Vue not having ESPN/Disney day one is dropping the ball.

you can add more packs to them...they already added amc before they even launched...they will continue to roll out new channels either in new packages or in the main package

They've also added History, Lifetime, A&E, and a few others to their "core" package.

AmuroChan

^^^ and it's not a better value than cable with way less channels.

It's definitely a better value if you have multiple TV watchers in the house. I get killed on my cable bill because I have to pay for 4 boxes, multi-room DVR, extra charges for streaming, and all these ancillary fees that make no sense whatsoever.

How is your Hulu Plus $15 a month? Are you outside the U.S.?

You're actually right - I think it used to be more expensive, or I'm getting Hulu Plus mixed up with the rising Netflix costs.

BTW, I'm glad this service doesn't include ESPN because ESPN is expensive as hell and it drives up costs for everyone else. Keep that shit out of it. The reason that it's not included is because they usually include stipulations that screw everyone. Fuck ESPN.

statham

I don't necessarily think Sling TV is that much of a better deal unless you watch ESPN or you are basically the only TV watcher in the house.

Neither option seem worth it at the moment.

Sling is a good add-on, if you have Hulu and or Netflix, don't think its made to be a stand-alone.

McHuj

This is a joke right?

For less then $50 more, I can add cable to my internet as a bundle so this is more expensive the cable for me.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, I can't see this taking off.

Sling has ESPN and other channels (AMC, TNT, TBS, Food Network, Disney, Cartoon Network, etc.) at $20/month; Hulu Plus has Viacom channel content (e.g.: Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV) and content on major networks (ABC, FOX, CW, NBC) at $8/month.

Sling TV + Hulu Plus is basically half the price of Playstation Vue and you can only get ESPN with the former.

I mean, you might as well keep cable TV if you are thinking about cutting the cord with Playstation Vue.

Mrbob

you can add more packs to them...they already added amc before they even launched...they will continue to roll out new channels either in new packages or in the main package

I'll probably hop on when they add USA, FX, FXX, and uhh, Spike TV. I need Bar Rescue in my life.

Having more channels doesn't always mean better. We care about the quality of the channels. One of the big complaints about cable is being forced into a package and having to pay for tons of crap channels. So Vue not having ESPN/Disney day one is dropping the ball.

I agree? I don't know what the argument is.

Gestault

This price is...wow. Even ignoring the numerous, content-rich streaming offerings out there, that is more than many cable plans. It's sort of missing the point of "cutting the cord."

Sling TV @ $20 with more offerings is just salt in the wound.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's definitely a better value if you have multiple TV watchers in the house. I get killed on my cable bill because I have to pay for 4 boxes, multi-room DVR, extra charges for streaming, and all these ancillary fees that make no sense whatsoever.

But then you'd still need multiple consoles to access the service so isn't it a wash?

Reallink

So is this for people who don't have access to real cable TV? Cause it's the same price and missing a shit ton of channels. I don't even...

This price is...wow. Even ignoring the numerous, content-rich streaming offerings out there, that is more than many cable plans. It's sort of missing the point of "cutting the cord."

Sling TV @ $20 with more offerings is just salt in the wound.

It is not more than many cable plans at all - considering you're not paying hardware fees, taxes, etc. you end up paying $20-$50 more per month on an average cable plan. DVR alone is $15 plus.

Toki767

Sling is a good add-on, if you have Hulu and or Netflix, don't think its made to be a stand-alone.

Sling TV is great if you only have one TV in the house. Otherwise it's another $20 per simultaneous stream. So in that regard, Vue giving you 3 simultaneous streams for $50 is not a bad deal.

Both services are missing major channels though so this whole internet TV thing just feels so much like it's still in its infancy.

On Demand

Banned
Right now I'm sitting on Sling, Hulu +, and Netflix... while also buying season passes to multiple shows.

Cord cutting is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

The fact that you even need all those.....

These streaming TV services are just getting started. Not one has a complete package. It's really not hard to imagine a point where you need a bunch to get every channel/TV show you need. Prices will increase.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Sling has ESPN and other channels (AMC, TNT, TBS, Food Network, Disney, Cartoon Network, etc.) at $20/month; Hulu Plus has Viacom channel (e.g.: Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV) content and content on major networks (ABC, FOX, CW, NBC) at $8/month.

Sling TV + Hulu Plus is basically half the price of Playstation Vue and you can only get ESPN with the former.

I mean, you might as well keep cable TV if you are thinking about cutting the cord with Playstation Vue.

Sling is garbage though. No local feeds, no DVR functionality.

They really do need Disney on board though.

Guevara

$50 what the hell.

Honestly, cable is really nice in some ways: no buffering, it doesn't use your data, it just works, etc. To win, online streaming needs to be cheap.

I don't see how this is any different than just getting cable, which would probably preform better than streaming at the same price? I could see if it actually offered a lower tier where you could have only the channels you actually want to watch at a lower price, but this just seems like it's a reduced channel package at the same price or higher than what you would pay for a full-fledged cable service.

Sling has ESPN and other channels (AMC, TNT, TBS, Food Network, Disney, Cartoon Network, etc.) at $20/month; Hulu Plus has Viacom channel (e.g.: Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV) content and content on major networks (ABC, FOX, CW, NBC) at $8/month.

The big hole here, as it has been for years, is CBS, who has still refused to join hulu. Still, this doesn't make Vue not-a-joke.

AmuroChan

Came to post this. This isn't a deal at all. Just like their PS Now prices this is a complete joke. Unless you despise giving one more dollar to your cable company out of spite(which there is a lot of spite to be had)...you're essentially paying the same amount of money for less channels. Which is just like PS Now. I can rent a PS3 game that I can find at Gamestop for cheaper and get to keep the game as well.

Morons. They don't understand the market and I guarantee this will flop.

They're not targeting people like you. They're targeting family households like mine with multiple TV watchers. $50 would be a savings of over $100 for what I pay Cablevision now per month because they nickel and dime you to death for every little thing. So even though my package is advertised as "$79.99", I'm paying over $150 after all the extra costs, taxes, and fees. If this service is truly $50 a month with no hidden fees and such, I will gladly pay that so I can finally tell Cablevision to go F themselves.

You're actually right - I think it used to be more expensive, or I'm getting Hulu Plus mixed up with the rising Netflix costs.
Hulu Plus + Netflix is about $15 a month, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

BTW, I'm glad this service doesn't include ESPN because ESPN is expensive as hell and it drives up costs for everyone else. Keep that shit out of it. The reason that it's not included is because they usually include stipulations that screw everyone. Fuck ESPN.
But Sling has ESPN and "only" costs $20, which is also overpriced. Vue is ridiculous at $50, so I don't even want to think how much more it would be if ESPN were there. Doesn't matter, as Vue isn't going to survive at its current price.

vypek

This is just for the test, right? I wonder if this will be the final price or if its subject to change.

LordofPwn

If it had nbc sports i'd say it's a good deal. I was interested in Sling TV for $20 but then i actually looked into what they offer and it's a no go for me. No NBC or CBS. yeah ESPN is nice, but I've been without cable for almost 2 years now and i've survived. All your huge sporting events are going to be on your CBS FOX and NBC. Olympics, NCAA march madness, super bowl, world series. I guess you miss out on NBA Finals, but still.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't see how this is any different than just getting cable, which would probably preform better than streaming at the same price? I could see if it actually offered a lower tier where you could have only the channels you actually want to watch at a lower price, but this just seems like it's a reduced channel package at the same price or higher than what you would pay for a full-fledged cable service.

Seriously where can you find cable in NYC for $50 a month?

The real question is if this + internet is cheaper than cable + internet together. Would imagine that is a total YMMV type of thing which is not where you want to be with something like this.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sling is garbage though. No local feeds, no DVR functionality.

I have Sling. I'm liking it a lot.

I don't need local channels/major networks (CBS, Fox, NBC, ABC, CW, PBS, etc.) on Sling since I use my (discrete) TV antenna for those channels.

Don't really care much about DVR functionality either but can understand why others would. Most of the content that I watch that I sometimes miss either gets put up on Hulu or the network's official website for free shortly after it airs.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
just not having cable at all is still the best decision. ala carte is buying the shows you want to watch, forget having a package subscription. if I want to watch hannibal I'll buy the season on itunes. no big deal.

They're not targeting people like you. They're targeting family households like mine with multiple TV watchers. $50 would be a savings of over $100 for what I pay Cablevision now per month because they nickel and dime you to death for every little thing. So even though my package is advertised as "$79.99", I'm paying over $150 after all the extra costs, taxes, and fees. If this service is truly $50 a month with no hidden fees and such, I will gladly pay that so I can finally tell Cablevision to go F themselves.

Alright. Well that makes sense then. Good for you. Hope you hop on board. What will you tell your kids though when they want to watch Girl Meets World though? "Sorry, the actress was killed and the show has been cancelled"?

Seriously where can you find cable in NYC for $50 a month?

The real question is if this + internet is cheaper than cable + internet together. Would imagine that is a total YMMV type of thing which is not where you want to be with something like this.

I pay $45 for my Internet and that plus the cost of Vue with it's included features would still be way cheaper than my ISPs video service - 89.99 for like 80 channels, but then you're charged tax, DVR is an extra $15 a month, service fees, more than one box, etc.

It's really the hidden costs that kill you. I also don't watch ESPN or any sports.

Swass

$50 for service on a single TV? Or can you buy a second PS4 and use the same $50 sub? Either way it's not cheaper than my current DirecTV on 4 TV's with DVR, this clearly isn't a service for me. SlingTV is far more interesting with a much better price point in my opinion.

Meier

What's the point?

What's the point of Playstation Vue as a 'cable replacement' when it costs basically the same price and you have less access to it?

Anything that isn't cable needs to have an extremely cheap option of limited channels with accessibility. Sling TV is a move in the right direction but still isn't quite there.

Cable by any other name would smell just as shitty. That's what Vue is seemingly.

This nails it perfectly. People cut the cord to save money since there are now free alternatives. This saves you no money essentially and has less content. The cloud-based DVR is neat but unless this thing is $29.99 or thereabouts without ESPN, it's DOA.

Top Bottom