• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Skimmed the entire thread. Don't miss all the bitching back and forth about canon but miss the active discussion.

I've never seen the original series' or movies, just done some basic research on Wikipedia so I can keep up with discussions. I enjoyed the new movies -- 1 and 3 more than 2 (even I know enough to see that Into Darkness was an ill-advised imitation of WoK).

I love everything about Discovery. I'm not one for marathoning shows because I get bored quickly but I devoured both Mindhunter and Discovery in a matter of days.

The special effects and sets are movie quality. The Spore Drive storyline is interesting. The cast is really good. Hard to pick standouts but so far I would say Saru, Lorca, Stamets and Michael are my favorite characters. So was T'Kuvma.

I'm disappointed at the reaction to the Klingons' design. From looking at photos of the classic designs it's a vast improvement. They look like legit warriors who could fuck you up. Also using their own guttural stacatto language with subtitles lend them authenticity. They look like aliens not mutated humans or humans with black face and Fu Manchu facial hair.

Can't wait for more episodes!

Tidibit: Paul Stamets was named by Fuller after a real life mycologist. It's not in this article but apparently he was a consultant on the show as well.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37061-star-trek-discovery-stamets-mycology

https://twitter.com/PaulStamets/sta...le/37061-star-trek-discovery-stamets-mycology

Composer

I really tried to give this show a chance but God, it is utter trash. It is nothing like Star Trek minus the episode involving the space whale. That was the only episode I enjoyed.

The problem with this show is that it's a Star Trek show. It should have just been its own Sci-fi thing. It is nothing like Star Trek. It's the antithesis of Star Trek. It's dark, gritty and constantly menacing. The crew constantly bicker and have poorly written quips back to one another. The core of Star Trek was to be the exact opposite of that. It'd be like watching CSI but 90% of it is a musical about 'making it' in NY. It just doesn't fit.

t-storm

I really tried to give this show a chance but God, it is utter trash. It is nothing like Star Trek minus the episode involving the space whale. That was the only episode I enjoyed.

The problem with this show is that it's a Star Trek show. It should have just been its own Sci-fi thing. It is nothing like Star Trek. It's the antithesis of Star Trek. It's dark, gritty and constantly menacing. The crew constantly bicker and have poorly written quips back to one another. The core of Star Trek was to be the exact opposite of that. It'd be like watching CSI but 90% of it is a musical about 'making it' in NY. It just doesn't fit.
I agree with all of this and the shows producers have said they were going to start the show in a war/period of chaos and gradually work towards the utopian trek we all know and love.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How do ppl rank this in 1st seasons of star trek.

First season rankings

1.ds9
2.discovery
3.enterprise
4.voyager
5.tng

t-storm

For Goldsman, Discovery's "darkness" is not a result of a lack of optimism in the storytelling or a diversion from the tone of canon, but rather an emotional complexity.

"The gift that we have because where we are when it comes to contemporary storytelling is that we can stretch those emotions out for a season," said Goldsman, continuing...

Ours is a story of redemption. Ours is the origin of the feeling that is TOS. That's why we are 10 years before TOS. But we don't start there. We get there. The name of the show is Discovery not by accident. It is how these people discover who they are and, as a representation of the personal, how the Federation reaffirms what it is.

For Goldsman, the joy of contemporary TV storytelling is that the story can start somewhere "different than where you end." He added: "If we are successful, it is layered, and complex, and dark and light, because the best of Star Trek was always those things. We just get to stretch it out."

Source

How do ppl rank this in 1st seasons of star trek.

First season rankings

1.ds9
2.discovery
3.enterprise
4.voyager
5.tng

Oh god, I thought even the first season of DS9 was bad. I'd have to say in terms of how first seasons have gone, Discovery is one of the best if not the best.

Harlock

So, I hope the emperor is...

Linda_Park_005.jpg

t-storm

I hope they show the Emperor tonight. I loved last week's episode... shit's getting good! And still waiting for them to explain how the technology is so advanced and how they'll revert back to old school Kirk technology.

t-storm

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii @ the Emperor!

Heavy hitting episode tonight. I love the tone, the gravity of the mirror universe in this series compared to the almost comical tone in other ST series.

Dizagaox

Sick show! We have it on Netflix here, easily the best thing on it at the moment. I like the characters and story, they keep you on the edge of your seat!

Z3M0G

Just watched the last 2 episodes...

Shit is going down... old theories are being proven true... and nobody is talking about it... :(

I hope they show the Emperor tonight. I loved last week's episode... shit's getting good! And still waiting for them to explain how the technology is so advanced and how they'll revert back to old school Kirk technology.

Well for now it's a closely guarded "Section 31" secret... maybe it remains so and they continue to use it for a long long time... Or it just gets corrupted/destroyed at some point. And if you are not talking about the spore drive and just all other general tech, you are really over-analyzing things... they wouldn't address that.

My hopes that Voc's transformation somehow leading to the Human-looking Klingons in Kirk's show is also feeling pretty silly now.

Last edited:

Makariel

I found that discovery got pretty good in the last few episodes. Such a shame they botched the pilot so badly. The mirror universe episodes of enterprise were the IMO best in that series, and I'm really curious to see where this is going next.

Harlock

Well, in theory shouldn't it look like the Enterprise in the newer movies? Or at least close to it?
You know, I read in somewhere that the rights from the movies vs TV are in different hands inside Viacom/Paramount. And because that the details need to be different between movie and tv.

Guiberu

So...

Is
Lorca now going to be a bad guy? I'm not too concerned if he is, as long as he stays around in some capacity.

2AdEPT

What's up with the prime Lorca? What happened to him? Did he switch with his mirror self or were there two Lot as running around. I watched all episodes but missed this info if it was given?

Ok a quick search I did leads me to believe we do the really know. Prime Lorca could have been killed off by Terran Lorca with the rest of the crew if the Buran. Or another theory is he switched spots....but the latter makes little sense.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Just watched e13,

Well.....ahem

While I was enjoying the plot, stuff is starting to get a little to crazy.
And the acting from some chracters is just not very good.

Im so hot and cold with this show.

PaNaMa

Banned
I found this episode fell victim to (too) many startrek tropes. Things happened way too fast, without proper exposition or plausible explanation...we were expected to "just go with" a lot of plot machinations here. Probably my least favourite ep so far. From characters inexplicably appearing at all the right places all around this massive ship, to disintegration rays that disinigrate only if it's not a cool under the chin shot, to played out "lower the shield so we can blast the macguffin"..... to "just follow the music" .... really? Couple that with Austin Powers/James Bond style deal between villain and hero that none of us believed the characters would believe... Audience is being asked to go with just too much here. Way too much for suspension of disbelief. I hit my limit.

Sosokrates

So I just watched E15 , the main plot of S1 finishing was pretty meh, burnams speech at the end was corny as hell and felt so weak, I know the federation is all about peace and unity but burnam makes it sound so goody to shoes and wimpy.
Hopefully the return of pike and the enterprise can give S2 more in depth characters and backbone.

While somtimes burnam can be good in her more emotional and intence scenes, I dont think she is a good enough actor for such a hefty trek part.

Last edited:

Ragnaroz

The season is fun, but it suffers from the new Star Wars syndrome. Male characters that are not minorities or gay end up either useless or evil, while the female characters end up in positions of power almost across the board. Now, if this happened at any other point in time, I wouldn't care, but in this particular point in time, it looks way too politically oriented, and I hate when that kind of stuff corrupts the script.

Sosokrates

The season is fun, but it suffers from the new Star Wars syndrome. Male characters that are not minorities or gay end up either useless or evil, while the female characters end up in positions of power almost across the board. Now, if this happened at any other point in time, I wouldn't care, but in this particular point in time, it looks way too politically oriented, and I hate when that kind of stuff corrupts the script.

While the sexuality and gender of the chracters makes no difference to me. When burnam described the terran empire as "racists and xenophobic" is was like the federation were the American left and the terrans were the right (have the words "racists and xenophobic" even been used in star trek before?).Which I think mirrored the current political climate in a to obvious a way, like that the creators of discovery were using trek as a vessel to convey there beliefs.

I don't mind star trek dealing with political issues but it has to feel genuine and not artificially attached like it did in discovery at times.

Harlock

Did not like the ending. Too much forced. Is like the plot holes in ST Generations, when the borg could had tome travel in any location. Any klingon could had planted the bomb before. And the federation and Earth dont look like in the verge of defeat.

I'm on episode 7 and i really need to force myself to keep watching. So i googled what the internet thought about it. And people seem to have the same opinions as me.

It's terrible. Bad writing, boring characters. It shits on the pre-established lore. They turned klingons into orcs. I'm not a fan of how klingons looked in TNG but gee... Talk about overdone.

I'm no trekkie. I haven't watched 90% of star trek series. But those series always seemed to have consistency between them. STD feels like random sci fi series with star trek logo on it.

Guess i'll watch Deep Space Nine instead.

Tritroid

Just finished it last night, I honestly loved it! I've been a star trek fan since TNG, and I kinda saw Discovery as a breath of fresh air, with a story/themes that were so crazy at times and yet they still pushed into even crazier territory.

Things I loved:

The Lorca twist. I honestly didn't see it coming, and had to go back and see how he reacted to things in previous episodes. His interaction with the admiral made complete sense after the reveal.
Tying in the Defiant into the whole parallel universe concept. At first I was rolling my eyes think they were literally going to pull a Voyager with the rest of the entire series and make it a 'try to get home' quest, but the finale proved that wrong, and I like how they used data from the Defiant as a means to escape.
The balance of science and war themes, which hasn't really been seen in star trek since Voyager honestly. Even though they're in a galactic war, some episodes still dealt heavily with exploration, discovery, and experimentation, and I liked that.

Things I didn't like:

The fact that Michael's adopted father is Sarek, and that one of the plot points is him having to choose between her and Spock for admission into the Vulcan science academy. That's just way too forced; like a desperate attempt to tie in the name 'Spock' somehow.
Klingons seem way too barbaric and unintelligent, especially when compared to how they are in TNG. I guess since this is pre-ToS, they might try to explain this away with the unification of the different houses concept, but we'll see. I do like their designs though.
A Klingon being surgically implanted into a human is really dumb.

Overall, I'd rate it as follows:

1.) TNG
2.) Discovery
3.) Voyager
4.) DS9
5.) ToS
25.) Enterprise

Last edited:

Backlogger

^

So much hate for Enterprise. The worst thing about it was the opening music. I didn't think the rest of it was all that bad. It was way better than Voyager that's for sure. Voyager is worst Trek for me.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts on Discovery. The things you didn't like didn't bother me too much though, but I also liked the things you liked.

One thing that does sort of bother me is the new Klingon design. I get that it has morphed over the years but I like the feeling of continuity. I can't imagine a TNG series with Worf looking like the new design. I actually thought the TNG design was pretty good. Maybe the creators felt all the alien races looked too human. I don't know. Its not a deal killer for me though. I absolutely loved Discovery and can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom