• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

So she had to do option 2 (in her mind), or at least try.

I see your point to an extent, but I don't buy that option 2 here could have been ever considered to work.

To me the only way to read what happened here was like so - Burnham goes nuts when the Klingons appear and she has to protect her ship at any cost because Klingons killed her parents. This means she totally disregards her own personal situation and betrays her captain, who she's known for seven years. Considering what she actually knows, what the characters around her know, and not what we know about the Klingons, her actions come off as the actions of someone going through a breakdown.

Maybe the reason her plan is foiled is because she's gone bonkers and is stressed and Saru picks up on it, which she, as the person who has gone bonkers, is now unable to spot. That just about makes sense, but it isn't terribly satisfying knowing that our protagonist is apparently mentally vulnerable, and this is going to be her main internal conflict.

The Enterprise has already been built and is out there right now in the Discovery era. The Enterprise was built later in the reboot movies because [insert retcon here]. The events of "The Cage," with Pike and Spock, take place two years prior to this show.

Juraash

Liking what I have watched so far.

But kinda bummed they didnt have enough Majel Barrett recorded somewhere just to keep her as the computer voice forever.

They've mentioned things transitioning to more TOS style as the show goes on. While I think they were referencing the uniforms and specifically the colors tied to the different divisions, I wonder if they'll transition to Majel's voice at some point. They don't even need anything pre-existing from her on previous shows. My understanding is that she had her voice recorded phonetically, so anyone with those recordings could make her say basically whatever they wanted.

moeppel

Anyone else get mighty strange color changes in the first 5 minutes on Netflix, like the stream went up and down in brightness at times and colors sometimes went from the bright yellow sand color, to darker brown color, like within the same scene/shot.

And now the intro is way too bright (compared to the intro released earlier). Somethings fishy here.

edit: there it goes again, at around 9 minutes 18 seconds into the episode, distinct lowering of brightness. Going back a few seconds, and it's brighter and exakt same point, it changes. So I'd say definitely to do with the stream.

yep, have the same problem on my Xbox one in Germany. weird color timing changes :/

pigeon

Banned
Reading this thread made me realize how much of a terrifying boogeyman JJ Trek has become.

I don't like the JJverse at all, but I'm not so traumatized by it that I fear its appearance behind every aesthetic choice and plot development!

I see your point to an extent, but I don't buy that option 2 here could have been ever considered to work.

To me the only way to read what happened here was like so - Burnham goes nuts when the Klingons appear and she has to protect her ship at any cost because Klingons killed her parents. This means she totally disregards her own personal situation and betrays her captain, who she's known for seven years. Considering what she actually knows, what the characters around her know, and not what we know about the Klingons, her actions come off as the actions of someone going through a breakdown.

Maybe the reason her plan is foiled is because she's gone bonkers and is stressed and Saru picks up on it, which she, as the person who has gone bonkers, is now unable to spot. That just about makes sense, but it isn't terribly satisfying knowing that our protagonist is apparently mentally vulnerable, and this is going to be her main internal conflict.

I don't think that's it, I think that she truly believed that this was her only option and she conflated her emotional and logical responses.

I think it's a fun way to frame the show, but I don't think it makes what she does to be bad writing. I get it, and I think it's going to be her cross to bear for probably the rest of the series.

Paganmoon

yep, have the same problem on my Xbox one in Germany. weird color timing changes :/

Didn't notice any more such changes after the first few minutes, tried several different devices, so it seems to be with the source Netflix are using.
Was ok in Episode 2 as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No spoilers please, but are the opening episodes ok for a young teen audience? Was hoping to watch with my kids but these days every damn streaming show seems to feel the need to emphasise it isn’t a network show worth lots of swearing and nudity.

boingball

Went up only at 9pm on Monday's evening on NZ Netflix.

Overall I enjoyed the start. Good production values (as expected from the trailers), interesting title sequence. I wonder though how long they are going with the origin story
, e.g. will we see the Discovery only in the season finale?

The Klingon makeup will take some time getting used to, though I don't mind too much that they are changing them again (something TNG did as well).

I am still skeptical about setting the show before Kirk, something which Enterprise did before and failed with. TNG was a copy of TOS in the future, DS9 then differentiated itself by being stationary (though in later seasons they had their own ship with the Defiant to fly around) and Voyager went into a different quadrant. Not sure why everyone is afraid of going into further the future since TNG, TNG was the most successful show (ratings wise).

I don't think that's it, I think that she truly believed that this was her only option and she conflated her emotional and logical responses.

I think it's a fun way to frame the show, but I don't think it makes what she does to be bad writing. I get it, and I think it's going to be her cross to bear for probably the rest of the series.

Yeah, important distinction here is how she understood her options and the possible results, vs all the variables that could actually dictate what happens. Again, Burnham is very assured about her reasoning, and when she thinks she's correct, she acts on it. She thought firing at the Klingons would get them to back off, ergo, her attempted mutiny is justified in her mind. Whether or not T'Kuvma actually would be cowed, or wouldn't just spin that into showing the true 'face' of the Federation - after all, a Federation fleet merely showing up was enough to convince the other houses of their aggression - is a non-factor in her decision making.

Overall I enjoyed the start. Good production values (as expected from the trailers), interesting title sequence. I wonder though how long they are going with the origin story

The Klingon makeup will take some time getting used to, though I don't mind too much that they are changing them again (something TNG did as well).

I am still skeptical about setting the show before Kirk, something which Enterprise did before and failed with. TNG was a copy of TOS in the future, DS9 then differentiated itself by being stationary (though in later seasons they had their own ship with the Defiant to fly around) and Voyager went into a different quadrant. Not sure why everyone is afraid of going into further the future since TNG, TNG was the most successful show (ratings wise).

Seems like the Discovery shows up
next week.

Yeah, important distinction here is how she understood her options and the possible results, vs all the variables that could actually dictate what happens. Again, Burnham is very assured about her reasoning, and when she thinks she's correct, she acts on it. She thought firing at the Klingons would get them to back off, ergo, her attempted mutiny is justified in her mind. Whether or not T'Kuvma actually would be cowed, or wouldn't just spin that into showing the true 'face' of the Federation - after all, a Federation fleet merely showing up was enough to convince the other houses of their aggression - is a non-factor in her decision making.

Right, which, IMO, is fascinating!

I also assume we'll be arguing about if Burnham's plan would've worked at conventions for the next 30 years.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm completely into this show! I like it a lot so far and will definitely keep watching it in the future.

I actually really like the Klingons in this series more than I thought I would. On the Federation side, Burnham and Saru are probably my favorite characters so far. Burnham is just very interesting to me and I'm enjoying how her backstory is unfolding and Saru reminds me of Mordin Solus, haha

Edit: Forgot to mention, I hate the CBS All Access platform though. If you got with the "limited" commercial option (which is the cheapest), there's still like 4-5 commercial breaks per episode with like 4 30-second unskippable ads per commercial break

No spoilers please, but are the opening episodes ok for a young teen audience? Was hoping to watch with my kids but these days every damn streaming show seems to feel the need to emphasise it isn’t a network show worth lots of swearing and nudity.

Hrmmm, I'm immune to such things [unless they're egregious], but I THINK it was ok?

I also think that re: the bridge crew on Discovery
these people seem like glorified extras, so I wouldn't worried about them just being there. Except for Saru, it seems we don't really see any of them again. And of our 7 main cast members, we've only met 2 of them so far.

Seems like the Discovery shows up
next week.

Right, which, IMO, is fascinating!

I also assume we'll be arguing about if Burnham's plan would've worked at conventions for the next 30 years.

It'll be up there with Admiral Cartwright (at least in STO's timeline) and Captain Maxwell being right all along.

nOoblet16

People will tell you there's no story to tell post Voyage since Borg see gone, Romulans are friends, Klingons are bros and Dominion is gone.

As if it's ever hard to come up with new threats lol. The Federation isn't even big enough to cover a galaxy and there are other galaxies out there.

They should have gone post Voyager.

ISee

I like the first two episodes. I also like that Klingons feel new and alien again, like something that has to be (re)discovered. The episodes are to short and seem to end with terrible cliffhangers though and I'm spoiled by Netflix. I won't watch this weekly and instead wait for the season final in 2018 to watch all episodes on one selected weekend.

Effect

Yeah it's fine for the most part. There is only something at the end of episode 2 that might questionable but not graphic and it's fast.

Well, I enjoyed it as a SciFi Show. More please!

Only thing I felt was a bit off was the opening:
Starfleet symbol in the sand for the JJ Abrams reveal of the ship. I mean visually cool, but cheesy as hell!
and human v computer logic battle.

As a whole though it was a satisfying opening episode (or 2) and I want more, so I guess they've done a decent job.

moeppel

Didn't notice any more such changes after the first few minutes, tried several different devices, so it seems to be with the source Netflix are using.
Was ok in Episode 2 as well.

seems to be just at the first few scenes :) still weird why it got released that way

They do though. In the opening scene they say this:

Later on in the funeral they say this:

In the meeting with the various Klingon houses:

In three different scenes they focus and specifically talk about this. I thought it was pretty straight forward and had plenty of screen time to establish.

Thanks for the summary. I really need to pay better attention lol. Maybe I was too much in awe over the awesome space scenes and ship designs.

Jackpot

Banned

Maybe the reason her plan is foiled is because she's gone bonkers and is stressed and Saru picks up on it, which she, as the person who has gone bonkers, is now unable to spot. That just about makes sense, but it isn't terribly satisfying knowing that our protagonist is apparently mentally vulnerable, and this is going to be her main internal conflict.[/spoilr]
No spoiler tags. The episode has aired.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Production values are high.

No wonder Netflix cancelled Sense 8 - budget per episode was about the same as this show but without there being a reason to be higher than 20% of it. Wachowskis are just bad at budgeting to the point it's careless.

I liked the show but it seems to be a mainstream action Star Trek than the Scientific exploration utopia that the first two shows were largely. Give it time. Especially considering the 3rd episode is really the first one and the first two were prologs.

Seeing the Klingons and their elaborate sets/ships in motion reminds me of the unused designs for Jodorowsky's Dune. I appreciate the design work that went into them, but it's just hard for me to see Klingons when I look at them.

sooooo.....was it good? did it feel like star trek (or was it like nutrek)?

Consensus is veering on it's good, though to what extent and whether or not that makes the show 'feel like Star Trek' is much more YMMV. As MHWilliams put it, it's like starting DS9 with the Dominion War kicking right off - which for our opening two episodes makes them relatively dark and action packed.

Seeing the Klingons and their elaborate sets/ships in motion reminds me of the unused designs for Jodorowsky's Dune. I appreciate the design work that went into them, but it's just hard for me to see Klingons when I look at them.

Same, they look like weird vampires. I think it's a cool design but I would have appreciated them at least a maintaining the hair for some sweet warrior braids.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

A little of both. They hit the ground running which makes the pacing feel more like a movie than the shows. We'll see what the pacing is like when the regular season starts.

Effect

For those interested. Rotten Tomatoes has this at critic score of 89% with 27 reviews in. 24 fresh and 3 rotten. Audience score is now up to 63%.

Edit: 90% now with 29 reviews. 26 F /3 R.

El Topo

No wonder Netflix cancelled Sense 8 - budget per episode was about the same as this show but without there being a reason to be higher than 20% of it. Wachowskis are just bad at budgeting to the point it's careless.

They shot on-location around the world with a pretty big cast.

nOoblet16

Production values are high.

Eh?
Firstly it's not Netflix who paid to make his show it's CBS.

Secondly, Sense 8 has every reason to be as expensive as it does, more than this show. Good CGI alone doesn't mean "production values", infact CGI is cheaper than real world filming. Sense 8 was shot in several different countries in real locations with a large main cast instead of being filmed in a studio with a green screen and a small to medium sized main cast. Sense 8 also did a ton of large scale filming with hundreds of extras and what not.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/star-tr...6-million-viewers-sunday-premiere-1202176478/

Final numbers out, a 1.9 in the 18-49 demo and 9.6 million viewers.

About what I expected, though CBS probably cares more about the 9.6 million than the 1.9, because your $5.99 to CBS AA does not come with a demo number attached.

(It also doesn't matter and this is why Trek isn't on broadcast)

CBS Research projects Star Trek: Discovery to increase to more than 15 million viewers with 7-day delayed viewing, and an additional 5%-10% with live +35 day viewing,

ivysaur12

Banned
...So yeah, the show's really not gonna ignore the fact that Burnham can be seen as responsible for this, as some viewers took it. That I think is going to be massively indicative of how the series approaches her character.

It certainly does not.

Thanks for the impressions guys! Fun to read.

pigeon

Banned
I also think that re: the bridge crew on Discovery
these people seem like glorified extras, so I wouldn't worried about them just being there. Except for Saru, it seems we don't really see any of them again. And of our 7 main cast members, we've only met 2 of them so far.

Camera spent way too much time on the redhead with no lines if this is the case.

As I said earlier in the thread, the premise feels like if DS9 had started in Season 5 with Sisko beginning to turn away from Federation ideals and the show becoming more serialized. I think it faltered because that worked because we knew what the "good" Sisko was like prior to that, whereas we have no anchor in that style for this protagonist.

Everything's also a big question mark because we haven't gotten to the real cast yet. To use Sisko again, this is like if his Saratoga flashbacks were an entire two episodes. I think that's also why they offered up two episodes this week: they realized they needed to get to the real cast sooner rather than later.

I liked it and think it has one of the stronger starts of a Star Trek show.

...So yeah, the show's really not gonna ignore the fact that Burnham can be seen as responsible for this, as some viewers took it. That I think is going to be massively indicative of how the series approaches her character.

I don't see how Burnham could be seen as responsible for the war. She tried to stop it by trying what Sarek suggested. The Klingons started shooting while they were arguing.

Mutiny is a serious crime though and they should focus on that. But I agree that it doesn't look like that will be the focus, judging by the trailer.

Done with episode 2. Yeah, I really liked it overall. This season could be fantastic based on the end teaser.
Some issues here and there of course. I didn't care all that much for the Captain and I'm not entirely sold on Michael yet. I liked her more during the
flashback 7 years prior.
Still, the character arc they teased for her looks interesting.
Not in love with this new Sarek. I hope we won't see too much of him.
Also, every Trek show is guilty of this but why the hell didn't they send
a strike team instead of the captain? Lol, that was to be expected of course.

But I had a really good time despite these gripes.
Maybe the best pilot for any Trek show, not that it's too difficult but still. Visually superb and with a lot of potential. I hope that it will be successful so we get plenty more.

DBT85

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes.

No issue with klingons talking klingon, outside if the fact that some are so laden with teeth and prosthesis that they can barely talk, even if I can't understand them anyway.

Still not sure why they were redesigned but it's done now. Have say I didn't find the klingons all that intimidating partly down to the speech issues.

Also fine with the tech level.

Loved it.

Someone earlier mentioned that the crew were a bit casual with each other, this is something I've complained about on The Orville. I didn't feel it here. Rather than casual "sup fam yo" vibe from Orville, the Shenzhou crew felt like they were familiar with each other and on a relaxed vessel with a command structure in place.

Moar pls.

Oriel

Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
It is only an empty shell now. Please treat it as such.
?

And...

Why don't Starfleet ships get some properly trained armed boarding parties that we see with today's naval forces? Space marines or the MACO's from ENT.

Top Bottom