• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Volimar

I contribute some easy stuff now and then. Buy some large hyposprays or whatever to help when I can. But I barely play.

The tier 6 Andromeda class can be found in the promotions tab of the z store once you've redeemed your code. In case you had the same trouble finding it I did. It's neat to have a tier 6, but I prefer my Nebula variant.

Also, just finished time in a bottle. Crazy how casually they just go ahead with altering the timeline.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
screenshot_2015-08-20-16-01-45_zps39vs1vo2.jpg~original

I kept rushing through the FE so fast I didn't even notice the ship sitting right outside the window.

Walshicus

Apparently the Borg invasion zone on Defera has been updated on Tribble - nothing substantial yet but hints of a revamp. Hope so! I love the whole Defera suite of activities.

tunebreaker

Neo Member
The road was rough, the enemy relentless, the amount of consumed chocolate and tea, earl grey, hot enormous... But I finally reached the magical 50k DPS.

STO_50k.JPG

Now I need a break... until next power creep :)

DarthWoo

Screen from the latest FE. A little spoilery.

Also, was chatting with Xean@xtern1ty, and he was interested in allying with our little armada. He says he's in a multi-armada network that could send some fleets they can't fit into our current ones to us if we join up with them. Says he knows Gruber too, so if you can vouch for him that'd be great. Oddly enough, he was asking to make sure we weren't associated in any way with Starfleet Dental, as they are apparently known to be troublemakers. I'm a bit confused by the search results I get on Google that seem to be Dental saying he is associated with them.

Walshicus

Definitely up for that. No point in not getting more fleets into the Armada.

I quite liked the new episode, though every time travel story I keep wishing they'd undo the destruction of Romulus.

tunebreaker

Neo Member
I can confirm that Xean is a nice guy. Dentals just get on his nerves way too much, he seems to be their special trolling target for some reason..

DarthWoo

Definitely up for that. No point in not getting more fleets into the Armada.

I quite liked the new episode, though every time travel story I keep wishing they'd undo the destruction of Romulus.

I need you to get online to check your mail. There were two fleets to invite but I can't do it while I'm still in provisional leader status.

Walshicus

Hey all, long story short we've got a tonne of Mirror Universe ships in the fleet bank that *used* to be worth peanuts but are now super expensive on the exchange because of the upcoming Admiralty System.

I'm proposing we cash in on this. If you're all happy I'll sell these on the exchange and distribute the Energy Credits to fleet members roughly proportional to fleet credit contributions.

What do you guys think?

It goes down to how many in the fleet want some for the admiralty system. If we can supply our own needs first then I'm fine with selling the rest off.

Walshicus

I guess it goes down to each and every one of these will be worth having *once* at least for the card and EC seems like an easier mechanism to distribute out than figuring out who can take which ship (and you can use EC to buy the ships too).

I came up with a quick model based on contributions by active member, putting those members into tiers of contributions and then divvying out the EC per member. Tiers are:

Tier 1 - 25m Fleet Credits+: Receives 9.0m EC
Darthwoo

Tier 2 - 15m Fleet Credits+: Receives 6.0m EC
Walshicus (me)

Tier 3 - 5m Fleet Credits+: Receives 4.5m EC
Saultenian14629, SirHoneybee, tunebreaker

Tier 4 - 1m Fleet Credits+: Receives 3.0m EC
risalocke, cchjr, wyndstryker, peikko957, bendover19, brendantstrand, amproprime, ViceZord

Tier 5 - 500k Fleet Credits+: Receives 1.5m EC
Achronos, goshou, MightyFlub, timelord004, baskcm

All this is would be based on average prices right now, which may or may not shoot up even further closer we get to Admiralty system launch.

If we wanted to divvy out the boxes themselves then I'd need to get rid of Tier 5 from the list and allow 1 per person in Tier 4, 2 per person in Tier 3, 3 per person in Tier 2 and 5 per person in Tier 1.

This thread being bumped reminds me I should log on and do that final Iconian War mission >_>

Edit: Whoaa T6 Prometheus. Looks quite nice. Now I will be even more bitter about what they did with the Arbiter.

Walshicus

Yeah, gonna buy these Dreadnoughts. Love that they are giving the option to remove the add ons from the Galaxy X. Not sure how the Romulan ship will look with customisation, but willing to try it!

Oh, and now we need to see some more Gorn ships for the KDF. The npc Gorn Dreadnought I awesome.

DarthWoo

In addition to the above, there are also going to be five days of giveaways prior to the S11 launch. Today is 12 free inventory slots for every character.

Inventory slots are great!

Doff's...well considering I've been stuck at around 270 for awhile I don't really need more. And they're majority purple doffs, no duplicates too.

I could use bank slots. If they were REALLY generous a free acct bound fleet ship module would be nice =D

Walshicus

I think I got that already from some other promo. I stopped playing a couple months back because my computer kept getting during some mission.

Ack. Tried recently?

Anyhow... I'm trying to rebuild my big log of prices in the game. Would any of guys be able to do me a favour? In the Dilithium Exchange the "history" tab should record the prices you bought and sold Dilithium/Zen. If you guys could post the prices you paid and the time/date you traded for period Jan-September 2015... that'd be amazing.

In return I'll share the link to the spreadsheet of trends, if you want to see which direction the market is going in it can be pretty useful.

Walshicus

Hey guys, super good deal for charity here: https://groupees.com/startrekonline

They're offering for $1 each:

Romulan T'var Warbird
Romulan Scorpion Fighter
Klingon B'Rotlh Bird of Prey
Klingon To'Duj Fighter
Federation NX Class
Federation Oberth Class
Federation Delta Flyer
(Exclusive) Mirror Universe Danube Runabout

And if you spend $10 you can claim:

(Exclusive) Mirror Universe Guardian Cruiser - Tier 6
Klingon Mat'Ha Raptor - Tier 6
Aelahl Warbird - Tier 6

Which is about 13,000 Zen worth of ships ($130). Pretty good for rounding out your Admiralty cards now that shuttles and fighters count!

Walshicus

Hey all,

So we've been given an offer of joining a new Armada as a beta level fleet. Our current Armada beta "Mattachine Fleet" leader wants to join a larger group and given how hard it's been recruiting fleets into our Armada's gamma levels they're seeing it in their interest to jump across.

If we move across with them we'll go from 4% bonus to XP and 1% discount to Dilithium on fleet projects to 5.5% on both.

Obviously Dilithium savings on fleet projects are meaningless to us since we're maxed out... and we'll technically be going from a situation where we *could* at a Max Armada level have 20% bonus to XP to one where our maximum would be 10%...

We'd be bringing across Mattachine Fleet and one other - presumably Guardians of the Future or Fringe Division; and the Armada leader would be "LGBT of Starfleet".

Just wanted to put the question out there to see if there was appetite for it given the increase in bonuses.

Hey all,

So we've been given an offer of joining a new Armada as a beta level fleet. Our current Armada beta "Mattachine Fleet" leader wants to join a larger group and given how hard it's been recruiting fleets into our Armada's gamma levels they're seeing it in their interest to jump across.

If we move across with them we'll go from 4% bonus to XP and 1% discount to Dilithium on fleet projects to 5.5% on both.

Obviously Dilithium savings on fleet projects are meaningless to us since we're maxed out... and we'll technically be going from a situation where we *could* at a Max Armada level have 20% bonus to XP to one where our maximum would be 10%...

We'd be bringing across Mattachine Fleet and one other - presumably Guardians of the Future or Fringe Division; and the Armada leader would be "LGBT of Starfleet".

Just wanted to put the question out there to see if there was appetite for it given the increase in bonuses.

Is there even a point to be someone's beta. Seems like they get benefits and we don't. Also joining that lead Armada group is sort of forcing people to be part of a social cause isn't it?

Walshicus

Is there even a point to be someone's beta. Seems like they get benefits and we don't. Also joining that lead Armada group is sort of forcing people to be part of a social cause isn't it?

Strictly from a bonuses gained point of view we come out better still. So we're at 4% XP bonus now, but if we bring ourselves, Mattachine and Fringe Division across (I got numbers wrong earlier) we'll get 6% or higher.

I see where you're coming from on the Armada leader/name front. I don't think it's something built around it, just a byproduct of that being the group that started this Armada. But take it on board.

I'm more interested in keeping the fleet happy on this one than increasing XP bonuses, so let's maybe have a vote? If you want I can call something in-game.

tunebreaker

Neo Member
Just like we don't expect every new addition to our armada to join the neogaf forums, I doubt their fleet expects us to take any special steps when we join their armada as well. Well, unless you have been openly homophobic in armada chat before, but I don't think that has been welcome so far as well.

Being a high-ranking officer in Mattachine, too, I will support the moving if both their and our fleet would agree to it. Also, being a beta would mean cheaper dil prices for fleet projects that we are struggling with atm, and as Walsh pointed out, skill point bonus would slightly increase as well

Just like we don't expect every new addition to our armada to join the neogaf forums, I doubt their fleet expects us to take any special steps when we join their armada as well. Well, unless you have been openly homophobic in armada chat before, but I don't think that has been welcome so far as well.

It's nothing like that. I'm just not LBGT so it's kind of weird to join a group called "LBGT of Starfleet". I'd be equally unlikely to want to join a "Ethnicity of Starfleet" that I didn't match or "Religion of Starfleet" that I didn't adhere to.

Honestly though my opinion should mean very little as I'm only an occasional player and this really doesn't affect me. The consistent players are the ones who are affected most and this sounds like a positive move.

I didn't mean to be weird about this.

How large are we compared to other fleets? It seems strange that we can't propser as an alpha considering our size. I think it bothers me more that we'd be a beta. Feels like Beta fleets wouldn't be the ones who have everything unlocked.

Walshicus

How large are we compared to other fleets? It seems strange that we can't propser as an alpha considering our size. I think it bothers me more that we'd be a beta. Feels like Beta fleets wouldn't be the ones who have everything unlocked.

We're at max rank in all fleet holdings and we've a member count toward the limit (though not all of those are active). This is my sentiment too - it's a shame to be relegated from Alpha to Beta.

That said, we've found it hard finding other fleets who are both active, large enough to contribute and not already tied to other Armadas...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont play very much, and i kind of dont even get the armada system's benefits -- but is there some sort of benefit you lose by not being the leading one or whatever? what you explained makes it sound like a no-brainer despite the fact of being "associated" with a brand that might not necessarily represent people who play.

i guess i dont see what you "lose," even if you gain elsewhere.

We're at max rank in all fleet holdings and we've a member count toward the limit (though not all of those are active). This is my sentiment too - it's a shame to be relegated from Alpha to Beta.

That said, we've found it hard finding other fleets who are both active, large enough to contribute and not already tied to other Armadas...

What would happen to the other fleets that are part of our Armada?

Looks like they announced the ship for the anniversary event and there's going to be another free stuff for a few days starting on the 26th, along with a new featured episode.

DarthWoo

I had just convinced that Gamma Quadrant Outcasts fleet not to leave the armada after what had apparently been some degree of misunderstanding. You might remember they seemed to have their fleet marks cut off from contribution, which I learned was apparently due to the leader not being able to change the setting until just now. I explained that dilithium doesn't really get contributed much between armada fleets, and they seemed OK with that. Not sure how it's all going to play out, but he seemed to be amicable to undoing the departure, although they're still stuck in probationary status for a while either way. Would feel kind of bad to just cast them off after all that.

Top Bottom