• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Walshicus

I had just convinced that Gamma Quadrant Outcasts fleet not to leave the armada after what had apparently been some degree of misunderstanding. You might remember they seemed to have their fleet marks cut off from contribution, which I learned was apparently due to the leader not being able to change the setting until just now. I explained that dilithium doesn't really get contributed much between armada fleets, and they seemed OK with that. Not sure how it's all going to play out, but he seemed to be amicable to undoing the departure, although they're still stuck in probationary status for a while either way. Would feel kind of bad to just cast them off after all that.

Seems they left anyway. Not sure why, I was hoping to get them into a Beta slot rather than a Gamma if we came to it. The current Beta fleet in slot one is very inactive.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Would be nice if the 3GB pre-patch had actually been the entire patch, and not another 3GB patch to wait through today. Not all of us have great bandwidth.

Could still really use more people in the KDF fleet. I've been keeping the main starbase projects rolling along almost daily, with only about 7 or 8 tactical and 15 or 16 engineering projects left until their respective T5 upgrades become available. Everything else has been stalled at T2 for over a year.

Would be nice if the 3GB pre-patch had actually been the entire patch, and not another 3GB patch to wait through today. Not all of us have great bandwidth.

Could still really use more people in the KDF fleet. I've been keeping the main starbase projects rolling along almost daily, with only about 7 or 8 tactical and 15 or 16 engineering projects left until their respective T5 upgrades become available. Everything else has been stalled at T2 for over a year.

The pre-patches never seem to "work" for me. It could appear to download everything, then the next time I exit the client it starts again from 0, and it's not just checking the files. Since I noticed that I've just never bothered with them. I'm patching 3287MB right now without ever letting the pre-patch run.

DarthWoo

The pre-patches never seem to "work" for me. It could appear to download everything, then the next time I exit the client it starts again from 0, and it's not just checking the files. Since I noticed that I've just never bothered with them. I'm patching 3287MB right now without ever letting the pre-patch run.

From what I understand, if it works correctly, it's still just really bad at informing the user of being complete. For example, with this one, since I have such low bandwidth that a 3GB patch would take about 10 hours to download, I obviously have to stop it before completion sometimes. The next time I play and close, it'll look like it's starting from the beginning again. However, if I add up the amounts that it got through each time, it'll finish at about the time when they cumulatively add up to the total. After that, it'll still look like it's about to patch again, but the launcher will close after a few seconds. The pre-patch folder in the game directory will have the appropriate filesize within.

DarthWoo

Today's giveaway is some T3 ships. Thunderchild, KDF one whose name I can't remember, and Valdore. The Valdore alone is great for its console, but it's also good to have them for admiralty.

DarthWoo

Hopefully the new seemingly Fed-only characters can join the KDF. House of GAF is being severely neglected.

DarthWoo

So it seems STO will finally be getting a console release for PS4 and XB1. From what I've gathered, console and PC will be on separate servers though, so it won't really affect populations on the existing server much.

Qwyjibo

I'm trying to convince myself to try this game. I realize this may not be the most impartial spot to ask but how is it? Is there an actual interesting story to go along with what I assume is your typical MMO grinding? Is it actually an interesting "Star Trek" universe to explore?

I love Star Trek. Huge fan of most of the shows/movies. I've gotten some random itch to play a Star Trek game and this is the only new-ish one to try. I'm kinda "meh" on MMOs with the only one that I seriously played being Guild Wars 2. I'm hoping the Star Trek atmosphere and nostalgia kick in and cover up whatever warts this game might have.

Carcetti

Haven't played this for ages because it's grindy as hell (and they like turn it grindier even, the crafting update was nightmarish) and the best part, cool ships, are behind lockbox lotto. But the game is still very good if you like Trek. There's lots of fanservice, great atmosphere and callbacks to show episodes.

Hellers

How is this going to work on consoles then? My science ship flying science captain can't fit all her skills in three full bars. That doesn't translate well to a pad.

DarthWoo

There's a Crystalline Event going on right now, and despite the little gimmicks that go along with that, the PvE is still as easy as usual. For maybe two to three minutes' effort, you can get a choice of any reputation or fleet marks along with the daily box if applicable. Do it for fourteen days and get a big pile of dilithium, a choice of a bunch of marks, and some new console that gives you a mini Crystalline Entity absorption phase.

I haven't logged in since the skill revamp because I keep putting off my personal necessity of studying the new system for min-max purposes. Work work -_-

DarthWoo

For any of you who are in the KDF fleet and hadn't already gotten the ships from other fleets, the T5 shipyard is finally complete, if there are any ships for which you've been waiting to get fleet versions needing that.

DarthWoo

So it looks like we're finally getting a T6 Connie...just not the one everyone wanted...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

49d2b0d01197c6b165e9cc99f75f57091467391085.png

Hellers

Is everyone ready for tomorrow? I have zen and 3 character slots free. I wish the new Connies weren't lockbox only. I'd buy one in a heartbeat from the store.

Hellers

I wish it was home time from work. Then everything would be patched and live again. I really have a hankering to play some more.

I might buy the Tallaxian costume set and dress my new TOS Captain like the best Space Captain.

Walshicus

Need to get back into STO again this weekend. Too much time spent on Stellaris doing the Star Trek mod, not enough time actually playing Trek!

Hellers

Patch notes are up

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10059403

I also noticed that for some reason I have over 7000 zen. I guess I have no excuse not to buy some new ships :)

Might be tempted by one of the new temporal ships. Maybe the dreadnaught

*Edit* I really need to make that final push and get my main to 60. She's 59 and change. I reckon if I keep her queued up with doff and admiralty missions she'll be done when I'm bored with my new TOS captain :)

Does anyone know how much Agents of Yesterday content there is before you fold back into the regular stuff?

Hellers

Oh dear lord. This is utterly awful. Someone playing this for the first time would probably burn their PC thinking it's possessed by satan.

Hellers

I haven't gotten on, but what is it, servers crapping out? o_O

PS someone get me a Vengeance, thanks ;P

You know how

a). Cryptic are really really bad at missions featuring heavy ground stuff?
and
b). Starting at the beginning space combat is a dull as arse?
and
c). Cryptic can't afford to hire voice actors with talent for some reason

*Edit* I posted this on another forum

Oh dear lord. This is so bad. I pity anyone picking this up for the first time. I think I'd forgotten just how much this game sucks until you get a few ranks under your belt.

Here's how it goes. Some really poor graphics, animation and awful voice acting cause you to land on a planet from the original series. You do some shitty things in the shitty graphics and realise Cryptic still doesn't understand that STO on the ground is literally the worst game ever. Wait until you see the cave men throw their spears through me.

After you spent three ice ages doing busy work on the ground you end up back in space to fight Klingons while flying the single ugliest space ship ever designed. The problem with this is that while space combat in STO is the best part (And really fun in the endgame) at level one it's utter garbage. Not helped by you having one forward facing dual phase bank and a single torp.

Then you get to go back to a starbase that looks like it was designed in five minutes and listen to soundbites from the Enterprise crew taken from the series (In poor sample quality) and then get given the ship. Oh man. It's so so bad.

On my main I did the two new end game queues. The first is pretty fun. Dropping warp core bombs in front of that doomsday device shaped like an ice cream cone. The second is a straight fight and defend but throws so many enemies at you I think it must be bugged.

Also the game's performance seems to have gone through the floor. God only knows what they've broken but it never used to run this badly for me.

DarthWoo

I haven't had occasion to fly one in a long time, but they definitely made the Connie a little prettier since so many people will be flying them again for at least a little while.

I've been fortunate enough to not see any of the performance issues that have been mentioned either. I would agree that the Battle of Procyon seems bugged in terms of spawns. Even in normal, sometimes the entire team will be trying to clear one portal and enemies will spawn faster than we can get rid of them.

Hellers

I'm actually starting to enjoy my TOS captain a bit. The mission on K13 was fun. Does anyone know where the bank is on retro starbase? I can't find it and I need some money

Hellers

I ended up buying the three pack of 31st century ships for my main. The dreadnought is *massive*.

I'm definitely enjoying playing a new TOS character more than I expected. Even now I'm playing through the original missions again.

Are we ok having alts join the fleet?

Hellers

I think the single most hateful thing about this game is your BOFFs getting constantly stuck going through doors. I'm doing "To Seek the Tox Uthat" and the ground section is riddled with it to the point where I die a lot.

*Edit* I swear. Ever single door in this mission I need to nursemaid half the team through manually. Is it too much to ask them to test stuff?

Hellers

I'm back to working on rep on my main. I've finished Omega, Nukara and Romulan so I've started those on my AOY alt. I've got about 11 days left on everything but Terran and Temporal. Marks are easy for everything but Dyson sphere are the moment. Are there any space dailies for those? I'm not having any issues getting into Undine, Terran and Iconian space queues within a few minutes so they're cool.

I'd bought the AOY starter pack so I had a T6 Battle Cruiser I'd forgotten about so I took it for a spin in a couple of Borg queues last night. I love the thing. It really seems to pack a punch.

Hellers

I've been doing the odd run of Counterpoint in my Temporal Battlecruiser. One of the terran ships (Don't know which one) ends up doing an attack that completely bypasses my shields and can take my hull down to almost nothing in about 2 seconds. Does anyone know what it's likely to be and how I can build my ships to defend against it?

Now people are getting their AOY characters levelled the queues are all getting busier which is nice.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Are you all still playing the game? I just bought the new wrath of Khan DC blu ray and I got a code for a Khan costume and a ship...so I thought maybe I could look into the game. This thread seems to survive on Hellers posts :D

Anything I need to know before joining?

Oh and do we know if I'll be able to transfer what I did in the PC version to the ps4 version?
Edit: found the answer. It is no

Hellers

They didn't let you transfer anything when they ported Neverwinter.

I did a thing today. I realised my main for some reason had two ship upgrade tokens in the bank. I don't know where I got them from but I bought a Tholian Meshweaver and upgraded it to T5-U. I fitted it with nanite disruptor dual beams and some omnidirectional beam arrays and had a blast taking it into one of the new queues. It looks really nice.

What I'd really like it one of the really big Tholian or Breen ships but I'll never be able to afford one. I'm tempted to use my other upgrade token on the cheap Malon ship. It looks really grungy :)

Hellers

I'm having great fun on my main with my T6 Fed Carrier. I've got it launching 4 frigates and I'm mopping up the story missions. Been doing some breen stuff. At times I'm barrelling towards a group with a torpedo spread going off while my frigates are behind me putting out a wall of cannon fire and their own torpedo spreads. It looks glorious.

It's really bad in Borg queues though :)

Hellers

After so long ignoring my reps I've nearly got them all finished on my main. Just Terran and Temporal left to do. (Both nearly at T4). Using the sponsorship tokens I'm well on the way to doing them on my first AOY alt too for the account bonus.

OK step 1 complete. Now for step 2, figuring out how to fill out my skills (haven't played since that change =X) and step 3, figuring out what's the best hangar pet for this thing (never used a ship with hangars before).

So how bout that power creep huh. Last time I really played, a bit over a year ago, I'd managed to parse 81k dps on ISA. Now, barely remembering how/when to press my buttons/cycle abilities optimally I did 94k o_O

Top Bottom