• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2’s Microtransactions Are Shaping up to Be Pay-To-Win

Boke1879

Honestly you earn enough enough in game credit and you get a free loot crate with each login that it seems like Destiny 2 you won't have to actually buy anything

Who are absolutely no better? Something as simple as difficulty modes are locked behind Amiibo.

Single-player difficulty modes are VERY different from PTW items in a multiplayer competitive mode

Nintendo isn't locking guns behind paywalls in Splatoon 2, or Blue Shells behind paywalls in Mario Kart

If you can PvP, it becomes competitive, and balance becomes an issue.

I remember in the first game when one side had waaaaaayy better ships than the other during the dogfight mode. I wasn't trying to be competitive, but it was so busted that it was plan unfun.
But overall the first Battlefront was not a competitive shooter to take seriously as Battlefield or CoD. EA was probably like, "No one will take it seriously. This ain't esports. It's all unbalance fun. It's whatevs"

Message to all developers: Loot boxes, such as those in Overwatch, are acceptable, but ONLY if they are cosmetic! It has never and it never will be ok to lock skills/perks/weapons/any in-game action/item/activities/abilities behind loot boxes. This just kills the hype, the community is poisoned, and your reputation dragged through a trial of public opinion.

That said, I hope its not as unbalance as it sounds. Maybe have at least two modes, ala Halo 5. Where one mode allowed the card microtransactions weapons and vehicles (the BS pay-to-win mode), and another that was clear of that and was at least not unfair to those not spending on microtransactions.

Theorry

Yes, and it's not pay to win, it's pay to save time . It's a less direct shortcut kit. You will unlock everything through regular gameplay.

So its like Battlefield shortcuts then? If its like that people dont have to worry.

Daffy Duck

Honestly you earn enough enough in game credit and you get a free loot crate with each login that it seems like Destiny 2 you won't have to actually buy anything

Seriously this mindset has to stop.

It’s the “free hit” mentality to get you wanting more of the items.

Boke1879

Message to all developers: Loot boxes, such as those in Overwatch, are acceptable, but ONLY if they are cosmetic! It has never and it never will be ok to lock skills/perks/weapons/any in-game action/item/activities/abilities behind loot boxes. This just kills the hype, the community is poisoned, and your reputation dragged through a trial of publoc opinion.

Thay said, I hope its not as unbalance as it sounds. Maybe have at least two modes, ala Halo 5. Where one mode allowed the card microtransactions weapons and vehicles (the BS pay-to-win mode), and another that was clear of that and was at least not unfair to those not spending on microtransactions.

Lol you say that but facts prove you wrong.

These things aren't in games for the fuck of it. They are in games because people willingly buy them and frankly aren't too bothered by it.

KarmaCow

How hard is it to keep it fucking cosmetic?

Making it exclusively cosmetic items, even with lootboxes turning it into a game of chance, it means you need to constantly have a stream of stuff people would want. That's significantly more difficult and more time consuming than just selling something with better stats. It's a problem of balancing vs employing a bunch of people to constantly design/model/animate skins.

So its like Battlefield shortcuts then? If its like that people dont have to worry.
Yes, just now they've added a layer of chance to it rather than directly buying all of the unlocks for one class.

They aren't sticking loot crate only guns in these crates like COD does or anything.

It pains me that it's always the independent press, not the big sites talking about this.
Because it's alarmist bullshit.

Rhoc

Let's wait and see I would say. If true that would be a no buy for me. The backlash would be fun to watch atleast.

If they were smart, they'd make it so if you pay money you are automatically part of the Empire, and the people who don't pay are part of the Rebels

Boke1879

What mentality. I play tons of games like this and have no desire to buy loot boxes and enjoyment of the game isn't diminished on the slightest?

Are you playing the beta? Earning credits alone to "buy" credits is easy as shit.

Cardon

Yeah this is the one thing turning me off on the game having played the beta. Like I don't have loads of time to grind to earn credits, so hopping into a match only to be immediatly out classed by folks who bought crates doesn't sound appealing.

adj_noun

I really don't want pink Stormtroopers running around the battlefield.

XEtNRmj.jpg

Battlefront 1's Grannytrooper is mildly disappointed in Rebel scum.

Shooter landscape is pretty flooded at the moment, I think BF2 will be like BF1 and be popular for maybe a few months and then disappear.

Not sure why they couldn't have gone any one of the numerous successful MT models like R6:Siege for example and stick to strictly cosmetic microstransactions.

Alienous

Yes, and it's not pay to win, it's pay to save time . It's a less direct shortcut kit. You will unlock everything through regular gameplay.

Which is the case with most Pay-To-Win games. If you're willing to make them your second job then sure, you can unlock everything through 'regular gameplay'. They even make the point of saying that Beta drop rates aren't representative of how they'll be in the final game, and I doubt they'll get more generous.

It's a conflict of interest when it comes to designing a progression system, as they're rewarded financially for making the game more of a grind. I have no reason to believe that they haven't tailored the system to make as much money as possible.

heringer

That's still pay to win, at least until the peasants can grind their ass to keep up. And for those who don't have the time to grind and just play a few hours a week? Well, I guess they are fucked, but only for a few months.

Daffy Duck

What mentality. I play tons of games like this and have no desire to buy loot boxes and enjoyment of the game isn't diminished on the slightest?

Are you playing the beta? Earning credits alone to "buy" credits is easy as shit.

The mentality of well I get a free one every so often.

Yeah this is the one thing turning me off on the game having played the beta. Like I don't have loads of time to grind to earn credits, so hopping into a match only to be immediatly out classed by folks who bought crates doesn't sound appealing.
If you played Battlefield you'd be immediately outclassed by people who bought the shortcut kits. It's no different. It's a time saver, there is nothing in the crates that qualifies as p2w.

The A-Wing Apocalypse.

Special Guests Everyone But You Has A Jetpack And Is Perched In Places They Shouldn't Be and his friend That Overpowered Pre-order Gun That Didn't Get Nerfed Forever.

But overall the first Battlefront was not a competitive shooter to take seriously as Battlefield or CoD. EA was probably like, "No one will take it seriously. This ain't esports. It's all unbalance fun. It's whatevs"

I think there's a middle ground to this, though. Doesn't need to be esports, but it definitely needs a formula that's fun for most people. That's not fun for most people.

Sky87

Since this pays for free maps, i'm completely fine with it, and wouldn't want yet another Battlefront with a Season Pass fragmenting the player base.

Would have liked it to be cosmetics-only MT's though, but it is what it is. Doubt this will severely impact balance anyway.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, mostly. And the fact that suckers are willing to pay for stupid shit like that is gaining us free add-on content vs. an expensive season pass. So in a manner of speaking, we win.

^ I'm going to spend maybe $30 on crates because I'm a parent now and don't have the time to play multiplayer games like I used too.

Which is the case with most Pay-To-Win games. If you're willing to make them your second job then sure, you can unlock everything through 'regular gameplay'. They even make the point of saying that Beta drop rates aren't representative of how they'll be in the final game, and I doubt they'll get more generous.

It's a conflict of interest when it comes to designing a progression system, as they're rewarded financially for making the game more of a grind. I have no reason to believe that they haven't tailored the system to make as much money as possible.
That's not pay to win. Pay to win is when there are exclusive weapons and abilities behind paywall. Most Battlefield DLC has actually been pay to win. Shortcut kits and crates like this aren't pay to win.

morpix

O ffs, just bring back online passes. We complained back then, but we didn't know how good we had it...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes, just now they've added a layer of chance to it rather than directly buying all of the unlocks for one class.

They aren't sticking loot crate only guns in these crates like COD does or anything.

Errors if the top tiers are as hard to obtain as they are in other ea games with this sort of stuff (ME:A) people have every single right to be extremely concerned.

That games multi was pure co-op this is not.

Star Wars does not lend itself well to cosmetics. These games are all about capturing the look and feel of the movies. I really don't want pink Stormtroopers running around the battlefield.
They said the same things for WW2 games but they figured it out. Just gotta get creative and keep it to the theme.

Making it exclusively cosmetic items, even with lootboxes turning it into a game of chance, it means you need to constantly have a stream of stuff people would want. That's significantly more difficult and more time consuming than just selling something with better stats. It's a problem of balancing vs employing a bunch of people to constantly design/model/animate skins.

Yeah it's more difficult but it also doesn't hurt them game. Though i doubt this game will be full blown pay 2 win it just really hurts the game's perception when this kind of stuff happens.

Boke1879

The mentality of well I get a free one every so often.

So? What's wrong? I'm enjoying the game and don't feel compelled buy anything. Seeing as I earn rare star cards just buy earning credits and getting free loot crates daily.

I don't feel compelled to buy anything. If something wants to spend their own money. Let them. It's not diminishing my enjoyment or what I earn. I'm not locked out of anything.

Lothars

You mean the mindset about not overreacting and waiting to see the full picture?
Or the mindset that like in Destiny 2 where it was people not playing it overreacting and not listening to the people that play the game to realize what it actually gave?

AAA gaming is going down the toilet. It's just gross at this point. Some of you will defend anything.
It's better than posters like you overreacting at every single thing which actually is just as bad.

There are games that deserve to be called out like forza 7 and how shadows of morder handles their true ending. Those are dispicable loot boxes and a determent to the game than there are ones that are okay and don't have an issue like Destiny and Overwatch. So yeah I will wait till more of the story comes out before reacting and saying this is the worst thing ever. It may not be anything major and if it turns out to be worst than it sounds like than I will call it out as well.

Alienous

Shooter landscape is pretty flooded at the moment, I think BF2 will be like BF1 and be popular for maybe a few months and then disappear.

Not sure why they couldn't have gone any one of the numerous successful MT models like R6:Siege for example and stick to strictly cosmetic microstransactions.

I don't think it's as simple as that for EA, in fairness. They're dealing with Star Wars, and trying to make an authentic experience - I don't think there are enough opportunities for making cosmetic content without compromising that goal. For instance Star Wars EA Battlefront 1 allowed you to play as a Stormtrooper without their helmet, and it ended up patched out because it was jarring.

Danneee

Of course they’ll try to squeeze every buck they can out of it. It would be stupid not to because that is what the people who pays the developers want.

Top Bottom