• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2’s Microtransactions Are Shaping up to Be Pay-To-Win

I absolutely abhor the idea of consumable items in non-persistent online games.

Hated it in Titanfall, hated it in Battlefront 1, and I'll hate it here.

EDIT: Are these actually consumable? I guess I'm a little unclear on that.

They were free in TF1. Never a part of loot crates or any micro-transactions.

Which is fine IMO. Its not like TF1 was CSGO and balanced for competitive gaming.

This case however, where you pay to get them, can go fuck off. Pure P2W.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Over/Under: 2 months for the faux apology when this blows up. Whose betting?

Barakov

Doesn't seem strictly P2W. It seems like more of a chance to win. It's still annoying but it seems like it won't be that big of a deal in actual gameplay.

Crayon

I don't care to be nuanced about it. This shit is lame. If my reaction is seen as overdramatic or innapropriate then I can live with that.

They aren't sticking loot crate only guns in these crates like COD does or anything.
Incorrect. You can get new guns in CoD by earning enough scrap parts. You get scrap parts randomly through the loot boxes. Just like the parts in this game. So there actually isn't a difference between BF2 and CoD.

There will probably be like a dozen cards actually worth using, you upgrade those using the doubles you get from boxes, and done. I don't think anyone's going to spend money to get those cards. First few weeks might be rough as you grind to get better cards (assuming you're going up against people who did buy boxes and got better cards from them) but afterwards you'll be on equal footing, it looks like.

I believe there's cosmetics as well, and those are going to be the prime reason to spend money. Probably.

snap

Banned
at least do it the halo way and have the part of the game people actually want to play only cosmetics

Yup. I pay far more attention (and money) to smaller studios these days.

AAA lost the plot.

I basically ignore everything from EA/Activision/Ubisoft. They have very talented developers and impressive tech, but they're crippled by the suits forcing them to put certain features into the games (Multiplayer, open world, RPG systems, Microtransactions, etc).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think the upgraded gear is powerful enough to be a make or break factor, competitively. It's not like an MMO or F2P title where you're at a severe disadvantage without high level gear.

The loot sounds like a waste of money, to be honest.

Ferrio

Banned
Well another hard pass to yet another game ruined by lootboxes. I even liked Battlefront 1 and defended it pretty fiercely.

I basically ignore everything from EA/Activision/Ubisoft. They have very talented developers and impressive tech, but they're crippled by the suits forcing them to put certain features into the games (Multiplayer, open world, RPG systems, Microtransactions, etc).
That's an interesting list of things to group together.

Open world and online persistent world games sell really well. Why wouldn't developers keep making them?

Haines

Banned
I hope they don't fuck this up.

I really wanted to play at launch but won't support practices of pay to win.

It's just prying on kids money. It's dirty as hell.

I don't even give a fuck about the online, I'll just buy this when it's on deep DEEP sale. I just want the campaign and split screen stuff. This kinda stuff is what turns me off about online multiplayer games. I just feel scummy reading this shit. Thankfully I got Titanfall 2 and its huge
tiny and dying
PC playerbase to play with.

hydruxo

No more pay to win than buying the shortcut kits in Battlefield.

Everything can be earned through gameplay without paying anything extra. The crates are just shortcuts.

Is that not the very definition of pay to win though...

I mean, I'm still excited for this game regardless but being able to pay money to use a shortcut to getting better gear is giving you an advantage that those who don't pay won't have. I'm in the "wait and see what it's like at launch" camp though. I don't think it's outrageous or anything just yet, we just need to see how it ends up being.

Tovarisc

Coming from Shadow of War threads to this one is giving me serious whiplash.

Shadow of War is getting crucified by large portion of GAF for loot box / MT model very like this one. Milking people for more €, artificially adding grind to the game, selling power progress...

SW: Battlefront 2? Disturbing amount mental gymnastics to justify why this is only good thing. How it's 100% optional so selling some power progress is fine, game isn't padded out with slow grind to promote pack sales (do we know they don't for release?)...

But then Battlefront 2 has Star Wars printed to the box so need all reason not to ignore it and purchase it.

Tapejara

^ I'm going to spend maybe $30 on crates because I'm a parent now and don't have the time to play multiplayer games like I used too.

Compared to the shortcut kits in Battlefield, isn't this a worse value proposition for consumers though? If in Battlefield 1 you wanted to save on time and unlock all of the medic gear it'd cost $13 (CAD, not sure what USD prices are or if that's the original price) for a shortcut kit and you'd know exactly what you're paying for. While we don't know the exact details of lootbox implementation in Battlefront 2, it does seem unlikely that spending $13 on boxes would yield the same amount of content as a one time shortcut kit purchase, whereas spending $30 on crates still wouldn't guarantee you getting the items you want (comparatively all of the Battlefield 1 infantry shortcuts are available in a $40 bundle). I just can't see how this a better value proposition for the consumer compared to the one-time purchase of a shortcut kit.

FinalAres

"We've got some lovely amiibo for you..."
Yeah Nintendo aren't perfect. But Nintendo do things different (often for the worse) so I don't believe they'll go down this particular path that everyone else seems to be going down.

Its not because they're better, it's just because they're not...this.

Or I'll just stick with retro and non transactional games now.

a916

Meh, before I judge I'd like to see some long term view of this. How long it takes to "grind" normally, how big of an advantage is there, how often do you run into this advantage, knock on effects for "fun" and is the game still enjoyable.

That's an interesting list of things to group together.

Open world and online persistent world games sell really well. Why wouldn't developers keep making them?

I'm saying the developers dont have a say in the matter. Some games like Witcher 3 dont need it, it would have hurt the game badly.

This year really seems to be turning into the tipping point for loot boxes

They will keep pushing it further and further until they cant get away with it anymore.

Is it possible to earn these items through playing eventually?

Yes, as it looks now, everything can be earned through merely playing. But there also appear to be a million different cards you can earn through the loot boxes, so the whales will definitely get the upgrades quicker. However, they do let you choose between infantry and starfighter loot boxes, so if you have a preference on modes, you don't need to waste credits on something you aren't going to play.

Is that not the very definition of pay to win though...

I mean, I'm still excited for this game regardless but being able to pay money to use a shortcut to getting better gear is giving you an advantage that those who don't pay won't have. I'm in the "wait and see what it's like at launch" camp though. I don't think it's outrageous or anything just yet, we just need to see how it ends up being.
No, pay to win is when there are weapons or abilities locked behind a paywall.

Gleethor

Shadow of War is getting crucified by large portion of GAF for loot box / MT model very like this one. Milking people for more €, artificially adding grind to the game, selling power progress...

SW: Battlefront 2? Disturbing amount mental gymnastics to justify why this is only good thing. How it's 100% optional so selling some power progress is fine, game isn't padded out with slow grind to promote pack sales (do we know they don't for release?)...

But then Battlefront 2 has Star Wars printed to the box so need all reason not to ignore it and purchase it.

If only Shadow of War was connected in some way to a beloved, long standing brand

It's more because GAF loves single player games. I mean, this is the forum where some people believe only a story driven SP game can win GOTY. With Shadow of War, people are afraid more and more SP games will adopt this model.

Forza 7, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2. AAA publishers are having a giant circle jerk over what they're getting away with this week.

Arttemis

Playing the beta, I say you can get a crate every 3 or 4 games. Crates give you 3 random upgrades, and the quality of improvement that the upgrades provide goes from imperceptible to a mild improvement. Most stat buffs in the items provide a max of 10% increase from stock to max quality buff, though some abilities give improvements to blast radius, which can cause 40%+ increase to overall blast area. I do hope they tone it down.

I am not a fan of grinding in games, especially shooters or action games. I would rather all the DLC be aesthetics. That would be my choice 100% of the time, and I'd much rather have those aesthetics be direct-purchase and not random loot boxes.

That said, I'm very grateful that the entire game is accessible without a season pass.

I'd call it scummy if loot boxes bought with real money give you a higher chance of getting one of the higher tier star cards, but it doesn't look like that's the case. People can purchase loot boxes that other players need 7 (or less, with challenges) games for to earn the necessary amount of credits.

Overreacting?

Top Bottom