• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X Features Impressive Leap over PS4Pro

JP

Expect this to go on and get worse until 2020
That seems extremely unlikely, I'm pretty sure that the incoming moderators will take care of threads like these pretty soon and we'll hopefully all be able to move on from this ongoing nonsensical partisanism that people seem to enjoy throwing at each other now.

That seems extremely unlikely, I'm pretty sure that the incoming moderators will take care of threads like these pretty soon and we'll hopefully all be able to move on from this ongoing nonsensical partisanism that people seem to enjoy throwing at each other now.

I hope not. The return to the politically driven, heavily moderated old-gen of GAF is not welcome. I'll happily accept stupid people posting stupid opinions on a forum over super militant hyper-sensitive safe-space protection nut-job moderators that we had to tolerate (barely) in times past.

Why would it change with new mods? It won't.

And I'm talking about many other places besides here, as well.

MilkyJoe

It's always been like this on Gaf, just one sided.

thelastword

Banned
One of the biggest reasons Xbox was slagged so hard early on was because their box was significantly under powered compared to PS4, was like twice the size plus a power brick, AND IT WAS $100 MORE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WORSE IN COMPARISON!

This time, things are right where they should be. One X is significantly more powerful than the Pro, and it is $100 more ($200 on Black Friday), BUT IT ACTUALLY MAKES FUCKING SENSE TO CHARGE $100 MORE THIS TIME BECAUSE ITS BETTER NOT WORSE.

Seems really simple to me why "Sony" people pointed fingers at the OG Xbox saying WTF. Nobody should be saying that about the Pro, its fine and is priced accordingly, but yet, its worse than the One X hands down.
Good point, you've explicated it succintly.....Errr, perhaps with one small anomaly....X does not win hands down, it has worse frame rate, tearing etc...in quite a few cases. Other than that nobody has any issue or is surpised that X is pushing more pixels...The bigger issue is X fans are overstating the differences, in most cases the differences is not 4k to 1440p. It's dynamic 4k and X 's average rez is much lower than 4k and closer to the Pro's 1440p.

So on average, you're looking at 1440p on Pro vs 1800p on XBONEX if you go by stats from vgtech et al...

it was $100 dollars more but came with Kinnect version 2 that was the mistake to. it wasn't like for like in you were getting exactly the same as just a console and controller, every xbox one came with Kinect in the box. yes this was a mistake and put the price up and the xbox one had less power than ps4

as for pricing on the pro yeah its a good price and the x is a good price to
A mistake? You should read some of the old threads around XBOX one's launch in 2013 and even articles from DF talking about "does resolution matter?" and other journalists talking about Kinect being the second coming for the living room...

All the time, I was asking myself and expressed it here too....Why did MS concentrate on Kinect etc, when people would be tired of the gimmick in 2 seconds. Why markup an already weak console an extra $100.00 over the competition just to push something people will be tired of or frustrated by in quick order..Many journalists;) agreed TV TV TV is a great thing, starting your games through voice or even your cable channels, yet, that wore off as quick as it came. You see, we could already watch tv quite well on our cable boxes, getting a game started was as quick as pushing a button or switching tv channels was a breeze with three remote clicks at best, but MS felt that should take priority over beefing up it's console for games or investing in exclsuives as it should have done...Then ontop of that, they had concoted this whole DRM hell machine instead on concentrating on what matters...

You know what matters? Games, not kinnect, not tv, not UHD bluray, not power of the cloud type spiels or this is a "4k native machine" the competiion is competing with XBONEX-S type drivel. Something is very wrong with MS's priorities/marketing this gen, they're either backtracking, focusing on the wrongs things at the wrong time, but what really killed MS this gen and even now is how they try to overplay what they have. Like Penello's "I will never relinquish 30% power to Sony" or Spencer's "PRO competes with S" because CB, upscaling, etc...is not how the X rolls Dawg...type spiel...

The truth of the matter is XBONEX being more powerful now is too little too late, everybody has already invested in a library in a particular eco-system, nobody cares right now tbh, especially if the differences are mainly 1440p average vs 1800p at the same 30/60fps across the console mid-gen threshold. It's especially more alarming when you have quite a few cases of tearing and worse framerate to go with that rez boost as well....It's shame too, because if devs used CB which PRO was engineered for, PRO would even have sharper IQ against a dynamic 4k image on XBONEX, whilst also enjoying the framerate advantage it has in select titles.....

So yes, no one is looking to dump their PRO to play multiplats at dynamic 4k on XBONEX at $100.00 markup at this point, where some titles perform worse with tearing, but MOST importantly, no one is going to miss out on all the exclusive games, highest rated and varied exclusives and yet all those on the horizon on the PS4 ecosystem, it's not happening. The attraction and pull is just not there and I think we will see that manifested in November's NPD numbers....MS just does not have the pulse on what really matters to gamers this gen...I've always said, it's a threefold approach, Power+Price+Games, you balance all three and you have a winner...

Lots of games are using 4k assets.Cant wait to see Witcher 3 ;) Next year it'll be more prevalent as devs now know what to develop for. Support on the X is a lot more seen than pro has the past year
The majority of PRO games have supersampling, the data is there, no need to misrepresent it. On the flip, only a handful of XBONEX games have 4k textures...I would'nt say support is greater on XBONEX either, where are all the MS marketed games like Witcher 3 and Unity, hell, even fisrt parties IP's like Forza Horizon 3 is missing, where is the DOOM that was spoken about at their conference etc..? I remember PRO's lauch having much more videos about games and comparisons at DF than XBONEX tbh...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Good point, you've explicated it succintly.....Errr, perhaps with one small anomaly....X does not win hands down, it has worse frame rate, tearing etc...in quite a few cases. Other than that nobody has any issue or is surpised that X is pushing more pixels...The bigger issue is X fans are overstating the differences, in most cases the differences is not 4k to 1440p. It's dynamic 4k and X 's average rez is much lower than 4k and closer to the Pro's 1440p.

So on average, you're looking at 1440p on Pro vs 1800p on XBONEX if you go by stats from vgtech et al...

A mistake? You should read some of the old threads around XBOX one's launch in 2013 and even articles from DF talking about "does resolution matter?" and other journalists talking about Kinect being the second coming for the living room...

All the time, I was asking myself and expressed it here too....Why did MS concentrate on Kinect etc, when people would be tired of the gimmick in 2 seconds. Why markup an already weak console an extra $100.00 over the competition just to push something people will be tired of or frustrated by in quick order..Many journalists;) agreed TV TV TV is a great thing, starting your games through voice or even your cable channels, yet, that wore off as quick as it came. You see, we could already watch tv quite well on our cable boxes, getting a game started was as quick as pushing a button or switching tv channels was a breeze with three remote clicks at best, but MS felt that should take priority over beefing up it's console for games or investing in exclsuives as it should have done...Then ontop of that, they had concoted this whole DRM hell machine instead on concentrating on what matters...

You know what matters? Games, not kinnect, not tv, not UHD bluray, not power of the cloud type spiels or this is a "4k native machine" the competiion is competing with XBONEX-S type drivel. Something is very wrong with MS's priorities/marketing this gen, they're either backtracking, focusing on the wrongs things at the wrong time, but what really killed MS this gen and even now is how they try to overplay what they have. Like Penello's "I will never relinquish 30% power to Sony" or Spencer's "PRO competes with S" because CB, upscaling, etc...is not how the X rolls Dawg...type spiel...

The truth of the matter is XBONEX being more powerful now is too little too late, everybody has already invested in a library in a particular eco-system, nobody cares right now tbh, especially if the differences are mainly 1440p average vs 1800p at the same 30/60fps across the console mid-gen threshold. It's especially more alarming when you have quite a few cases of tearing and worse framerate to go with that rez boost as well....It's shame too, because if devs used CB which PRO was engineered for, PRO would even have sharper IQ against a dynamic 4k image on XBONEX, whilst also enjoying the framerate advantage it has in select titles.....

So yes, no one is looking to dump their PRO to play multiplats at dynamic 4k on XBONEX at $100.00 markup at this point, where some titles perform worse with tearing, but MOST importantly, no one is going to miss out on all the exclusive games, highest rated and varied exclusives and yet all those on the horizon on the PS4 ecosystem, it's not happening. The attraction and pull is just not there and I think we will see that manifested in November's NPD numbers....MS just does not have the pulse on what really matters to gamers this gen...I've always said, it's a threefold approach, Power+Price+Games, you balance all three and you have a winner...

The majority of PRO games have supersampling, the data is there, no need to misrepresent it. On the flip, only a handful of XBONEX games have 4k textures...I would'nt say support is greater on XBONEX either, where are all the MS marketed games like Witcher 3 and Unity, hell, even fisrt parties IP's like Forza Horizon 3 is missing, where is the DOOM that was spoken about at their conference etc..? I remember PRO's lauch having much more videos about games and comparisons at DF than XBONEX tbh...

at the end of the day no matter how you play it Microsoft have turned it around, you are saying nobody is thinking of dumping their PRO for and X have you spoke to everybody who has a pro? I know 5 people with a pro and all 5 of them have an X so to me its 100% of the people with a pro now have an X. yeah only a sample but with people areradu owning 360 games digital its another way in to get people back to xbox as they already have the library and can play it on the new console.

the games you are saying DOOM and Forza horizon 3 are on their way with their patches. and I think you are misremembering about Digital Foundry videos as there has been numerous posts on here about how the X has received more Digital Foundry coverage than the pro did at launch. at the end of the day you are constantly posting in and xbox thread and being very salty. if you don't like what Microsoft are doing with Backwards compatibility then stick to playstation posts. the pro is a really good console and loads of really good games so that should keep you happy :)

JaffeLion

Banned
Well sony uses dynamic 4k in their marketing of the Pro, how accurate is that when they aren't even hitting 4k in most games?

Sony should change it to dynamic 1440P

hqdefault.jpg

lol wut is this real? haha

Jrs3000

If you're a crybaby xbox fan with no perspective, sure.
Otherwise, nope never been the way you whine it is.

LOL....you ok?

I always wonder if this is a joke account because some of these posts have my rolling.

Megatron

Man, the salt in here is hilarious. So xbox owners can play a better looking and performing game than ps4 owners now. So what? If you were happy with your games before the X came out, you should still be happy. Buy the system you want and dont worry about the experiences strangers on the internet are having.

Yep real marketing for a 1440p console, seems like Sony need more flak for this deceit

It's certainly misleading. If it was Microsoft doing this, they'd be crucified and called out for it.

I think the Pro is a good console but Sony should be changing their terminology in their marketing departments as what they're advertising isn't what we're getting.

I dont know why the surprise that every single game will be better.

The other machine came out a year later (than the pro) and with much stronger hardware, of course it was going to run better than the Ps4/Ps4PRO, thats kinda obvious.

Impressive would be if it didnt run much better than the competition.

thelastword

Banned
at the end of the day no matter how you play it Microsoft have turned it around, you are saying nobody is thinking of dumping their PRO for and X have you spoke to everybody who has a pro? I know 5 people with a pro and all 5 of them have an X so to me its 100% of the people with a pro now have an X. yeah only a sample but with people areradu owning 360 games digital its another way in to get people back to xbox as they already have the library and can play it on the new console.

the games you are saying DOOM and Forza horizon 3 are on their way with their patches. and I think you are misremembering about Digital Foundry videos as there has been numerous posts on here about how the X has received more Digital Foundry coverage than the pro did at launch. at the end of the day you are constantly posting in and xbox thread and being very salty. if you don't like what Microsoft are doing with Backwards compatibility then stick to playstation posts. the pro is a really good console and loads of really good games so that should keep you happy :)
Hardcore gamers are not going to be the XBONEX's saving grace. I'm sure most of the XBOX diehards will get the console and others who just buy every system will do just the same, but we're talking a bigger picture here and trying to gauge what's in it for the system longterm...I think on that part, we can revisit this a bit later after the holidays and into March next year, but don't say I never told you.

It's crazy you say that on DF though, these guys had so many videos on PRO, even the PC guys got upset that there was not enough coverage of PC. A set of guys who can easily go to computerbase, guru..or hell even do their own benchmarks with tonnes of PC benchmark youtubers at that......

It's certainly misleading. If it was Microsoft doing this, they'd be crucified and called out for it.

I think the Pro is a good console but Sony should be changing their terminology in their marketing departments as what they're advertising isn't what we're getting.
Sony never said that "this is a 4k games machine" no pixel compromises, non of that checkerboard or upscaling stuff....If you want that "get a XBOX ONE S or PRO"..said Spencer..

I dont know why the surprise that every single game will be better.

The other machine came out a year later (than the pro) and with much stronger hardware, of course it was going to run better than the Ps4/Ps4PRO, thats kinda obvious.

Impressive would be if it didnt run much better than the competition.
There is absolutely no surprise that the XBONEX is pushing more pixels. There is also no surprise that the XBONEX is not doing 4k native in the way MS marketed it. The surprise rests with XBONEX trying to push too many pixels it really can't and so framerate suffers. This is in grave contrast to the last 4 years when PS4 was the more powerful hardware.....

MilkyJoe

If you're a crybaby xbox fan with no perspective, sure.
Otherwise, nope never been the way you whine it is.

ha ha Bollocks. You're so full of shit your eyes are brown.

On topic, might I just say that Sullust and Besbin levels in the campaign, on 1X are the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game, I am amazed they topped Sullust by such a margin.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Hardcore gamers are not going to be the XBONEX's saving grace. I'm sure most of the XBOX diehards will get the console and others who just buy every system will do just the same, but we're talking a bigger picture here and trying to gauge what's in it for the system longterm...I think on that part, we can revisit this a bit later after the holidays and into March next year, but don't say I never told you.

It's crazy you say that on DF though, these guys had so many videos on PRO, even the PC guys got upset that there was not enough coverage of PC. A set of guys who can easily go to computerbase, guru..or hell even do their own benchmarks with tonnes of PC benchmark youtubers at that......

Sony never said that "this is a 4k games machine" no pixel compromises, non of that checkerboard or upscaling stuff....If you want that "get a XBOX ONE S or PRO"..said Spencer..

There is absolutely no surprise that the XBONEX is pushing more pixels. There is also no surprise that the XBONEX is not doing 4k native in the way MS marketed it. The surprise rests with XBONEX trying to push too many pixels it really can't and so framerate suffers. This is in grave contrast to the last 4 years when PS4 was the more powerful hardware.....

by hardcore gamers I think you under estimate how many there are. look at how many website and forums for games there is. the xbox will still not out sell the playstation this gen, not by a million years. any body who thinks that is delusional. the thing is though Microsoft have repositioned themselves and have the better console. going forward games are always going to be stronger on the X and games will look better on the X.

now if people were not botherd by this type of thing then the likes of Digital Foundry wouldn't exist so people are botherd by it. hell even you botherd enough to keep posting in here and downplay the xbox as much as possible.

at the start of this gen playstation had the more powerful console and better looking games. people were all over it on here and other forums about best resoulotion and grass in GTA, now we have the X which has a bigger advantage that the standard ps4 had over the xbox one and its being downplayed as much as you can on here

welshrat

Lol at all the juvenile nonsense in here.

Do you actually own either of these two consoles ?

Do yourself a favour and buy both if you have the money or pick your poison based on Games or Friends etc

I am 40 now and own all 3 consoles (Pro, X, and switch), The pro is still my go to console but am still loving the X and of course the switch. I look back to the consoles I have owned and think when looking at my kids playing, as a Gamer what a time to be alive and yet your all here with all this nonsense.

Whilst your all moaning you could be enjoying GT Sport, Forza, Gears 4, Assassins Creed, HZD, the list goes on and on.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Lol at all the juvenile nonsense in here.

Do you actually own either of these two consoles ?

Do yourself a favour and buy both if you have the money or pick your poison based on Games or Friends etc

I am 40 now and own all 3 consoles (Pro, X, and switch), The pro is still my go to console but am still loving the X and of course the switch. I look back to the consoles I have owned and think when looking at my kids playing, as a Gamer what a time to be alive and yet your all here with all this nonsense.

Whilst your all moaning you could be enjoying GT Sport, Forza, Gears 4, Assassins Creed, HZD, the list goes on and on.

Interesting. At 40 I'd think you wouldn't be getting down in the dirt on the playground by bragging about having the best toys and playing list wars.

On topic, it makes sense that X plays this game better than Pro. It was specifically enhanced to take advantage of the platform. But it is still a beautiful game on the Pro.

welshrat

Interesting. At 40 I'd think you wouldn't be getting down in the dirt on the playground by bragging about having the best toys and playing list wars.

On topic, it makes sense that X plays this game better than Pro. It was specifically enhanced to take advantage of the platform. But it is still a beautiful game on the Pro.

I agree, however I like to use this place for what it was good at, game rumours, info etc but its just depressing of late. I am a mobile dev so this was place was a good place to waste 5 mins here and there.

Really not bragging though just lost as to why people are not embracing gaming as they should and if possible buy what I consider high end consoles. The only reason I list them is that whenever I sit down and play them I think how cool all the stuff is and how much better it is these days.

sainraja

Star Wars Battlefront 2 on Xbox One X Features Impressive Leap over PS4Pro

https://youtu.be/OXJwdlSwPsE

"Xbox One X is the best place to play this game, as far as console goes."

"Xbox One X 2160p with better image quality and graphic parameters"

"PS4 Pro 1440p"

Is this true? Even though Sony PlayStation has paid marketing rights for Star Wars Battlefront 2 , Xbox One X gets the better version?

Well, shouldn't it be? Xbox One X was in development a year longer than the Pro and came out later. It does have better hardware so it shouldn't surprise anyone that its version is indeed better than the Pro version.

MaulerX

This is not a DF Foundry video, so what are you talking about?

I beg your pardon? You said this:

Fuck this shit. It looks awesome on both consoles. This magnifying bullshit needs to stop.

Some extra pixels does not make a game an "impressive leap". If X would have double the framerate and al kind of extra effects en lighting, that would be an "impressive leap".

That's a pretty brazen blanket statement that not only applies to this video, but to any video that makes these type of comparisons. I mentioned DF because they are obviously the more popular ones. Besides, they need to do that because watching a video streamed from YouTube on a 1080p screen is not going to really showcase the differences as you would see on a proper 4K screen for most people.

Well, shouldn't it be? Xbox One X was in development a year longer than the Pro and came out later. It does have better hardware so it shouldn't surprise anyone that its version is indeed better than the Pro version.

History has taught us that that is not always the case though. The Mega Drive/Genesis released in Japan on October 29, 1988. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System released in Japan on November 21, 1990. A whopping over 2 years later. Most multiplat games actually ran better on the Genesis. Also most recently with the 360 and PS3 where the 360 had better multiplats even though it released a year earlier.

MilkyJoe

Watched the DF video
I dont see the 'impressive leap' the tread title implies.

you are not going to see it on a youtube video

"Xbox One X 2160p with better image quality and graphic parameters"

"PS4 Pro 1440p"

You'll just have to take their word for it..

thelastword

Banned
Watched the DF video
I dont see the 'impressive leap' the tread title implies.
Funny enough, when I read the thread title, I just went to Digital Foundry's youtube channel and watched their battlefront video on a 4k screen, but that Gaming Bolt video in the OP has quite few errors. The guy says there are texture differences, when there are not, he never touches framerate differences. I watched the vid and it looks very close to each other, it's defintely not as discernible as PS4 was vs xbox One on these same youube channels. Not saying there's no diference though, it's just not as apparent because of the higher resolutions on each console...

BTW, there's some wrong information in the OP. XBONEX is not 2160p, it's dynamic CB and falls to 1620CB or TR on XBONEX. Go watch Nxgamer's last vid on the subject. Also, DF said Battlefront had better lod on XBONEX, but then the lod quality is the same on S as it is on X and missng on PRO and Base PS4, so chalk that up to optimization issues on the PRO and base PS4. I'm pretty certain any mipmapping issues that DF saw was also a result of a lack of optimization there too.

Curiously, this is also the smallest leap I've seen from base PS4 to PRO if you ask me. TBH, I've never been a proponent of DICE as others on here have been.... If all these games are using CB, are they using the CB through pro hardware? If Xbonex does 2160TR dynamic, then PRO could do 2160CB dynamic through hardware or even 1800CB dynamic at least. Framerate is good on PRO, but I think there are still many questions to be asked on what Dice is doing on playstation hardware here.

hiphopcr

Well sony uses dynamic 4k in their marketing of the Pro, how accurate is that when they aren't even hitting 4k in most games?

Sony should change it to dynamic 1440P

hqdefault.jpg

Funny thing is the PS4Pro does use a dynamic resolution in many cases, "dynamic" meaning "changing". So it's pretty spot on.

mad597

Banned
Funny thing is the PS4Pro does use a dynamic resolution in many cases, "dynamic" meaning "changing". So it's pretty spot on.

What does 4k have to do with any of their scaling solutions if it rarely hits 4k? The 4k part is the misleading part. Dynamic 1440p would be more honest.

Been playing the EA Access trial and my god does this game look amazing. However I just can't pull the trigger and buy it because of a myriad of decisions I don't like by the devs (not even talking about loot crates here).

Things I'm not liking:

- Not being able to choose map to search for in MP (about 4 hrs in and still haven't seen all of the maps)

- Haven't seen any "open" maps yet in Galactic Assault (like I said, still haven't seen them all, but I liked the maps in BF1 much better so far

- Awful flight controls. They were bad in BF1 and came so close to fixing them this go round until they decided to split the roll and pitch onto two different sticks instead of being on the same one, like virtually every other flight game ever made (I've never played a console flight game with this setup ever)

Man, sure, the game looks good is stills, but the amount of damned pop-in constantly really ruins the effect when you're playing. Goes from something that almost looks amazing to decent video game level with the constant pop-in and out - especially in jungle areas where leaves just a few feet away from you are popping all sorts of business. Ugh.

elmalloc

The PS4 Pro launched last year. That's not exactly a long time.

Sorry, PS4 was crushing XBOX One as well! Hey let's choose 900p and 30FPS, lol. I have both consoles, not being biased. Console was dusty as hell. PS4 PRO crushed it even further. Now MS hits back and fanboys still exist!

MaulerX

Sorry, PS4 was crushing XBOX One as well! Hey let's choose 900p and 30FPS, lol. I have both consoles, not being biased. Console was dusty as hell. PS4 PRO crushed it even further. Now MS hits back and fanboys still exist!

When the OG Xbox launched they had the better multiplats for 4 years and the 360 had the better multiplats for 8 years. That's 12 years in a row. The X is just correcting a blip in the radar.

Top Bottom