• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - SP gameplay and hands on

Javier23

Banned
Finally we can retire that trailer thread full of shitposts about how the game must be awful since they haven't shown gameplay.
Or full of people wondering how the SP was gonna be like, since, guess what, we didn't have any gameplay.

"Concern trolling", "shitposts"... What a jackass.

Looks nice but also what i expected and nothing really ground breaking.

Just hope its longer than a couple of hours and you can switch sides to the rebels without buying loot boxes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Or full of people wondering how the SP was gonna be like, since, guess what, we didn't have any gameplay.

Now we have some gameplay and you still haven't expressed an opinion actually on topic so maybe take a step back and look a bit in the mirror?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Glad they actually got some footage out after so long. Still not seeing anything particularly exciting aside from the TIE flying through the debris but I hope it turns out well. Seems to have some good ideas. I dig the backpack droid.

GavinUK86

Judging by various journo's comments, it sounds like it's a nice addition to the multiplayer but not worth putting much stock in to. That's a shame. Especially now Amy Hennig's Star Wars is no more I was hoping this would be decent, especially with it being made by another studio. Guess I'll rent the game instead of buying it then.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I wonder if the Endor level reuses the map from BF1. I wouldn’t mind, as it was a pretty much perfect recreation, but the internet will set itself on fire if it’s discovered to be the case.

Not gonna watch, but I'm glad to hear that they're not totally hiding the single player mode and that it looks good to most people. Hopefully there's more meat on it than was the case with Titanfall 2, even though that was amazing.

Theorry

PleasedUnrealisticJay-size_restricted.gif

Mikey Jr.

Ok, I'm getting optimistic now.

This single player might actually be decent. 100% thought it would be MP maps repurposed into an SP game.

Could still be I suppose. I'll wait a few days for reviews.

Ok, I'm getting optimistic now.

This single player might actually be decent. 100% thought it would be MP maps repurposed into an SP game.

Could still be I suppose. I'll wait a few days for reviews.

At the moment it could go either way. It certainly isn't just bot-matches with a bit of story stuck ontop, but we've seen parts of 3 different missions so far. One which isn't multiplayer-map based that we know of (The ship), One that probably is (Endor), and one that definitely is (Fondor) from what others have said about it.

LOLCats

Banned
Happy they made SP campaign. Will buy for sure. But i will probably wait till that 33$ price tag after GCU.

Sou Da

At the moment it could go either way. It certainly isn't just bot-matches with a bit of story stuck ontop, but we've seen parts of 3 different missions so far. One which isn't multiplayer-map based (The ship), One that probably is (Endor), and one that definitely is (Fondor) from what others have said about it.

You guys are way too hung up on this shit. Titanfall 2 wasn't made less for using MP map assets.

This looks very good. As a non Star Wars fan, this actually has me interested. That plus the beta (microtransactions BS aside) played well and I had fun in both regular and space battles. Might have to get this game, horrible microtransactions system be damned (I will still never buy or ever support microtransactions in any paid game in any capacity).

The Endor mission is apparently its own thing since there are various objectives you can do while completing the mission. There are various Rebel outposts that you can attack with your squad to snag collectibles and such. Some of the levels seem to be pretty large in the playing-field aspect.

Not gonna watch, but I'm glad to hear that they're not totally hiding the single player mode and that it looks good to most people. Hopefully there's more meat on it than was the case with Titanfall 2, even though that was amazing.

To be honest, if the single-player campaign is as full as Titanfall 2, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm expecting less. I'm kind of on the fence about cancelling my 40% off preorder for that reason.

I'll probably just borrow it from someone, or wait a year until it's dirt cheap. The pay to win bullshit put me off. Plus I didn't enjoy the beta. Shame.

Looks like an improved version of the Battlefield 1 campaign design. A few more cutscenes, but it's still pretty obvious that they used the multiplayer assets for this, and the gameplay also looks similar to MP. It also seems that they mainly use the cutscenes and radio communication to advance the story, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of scripting, which unfortunately makes it's MP origins that more aparent. As someone who isn't interested in MP at all, I would buy this, if they can reach the quality of the Call of Duty campaigns. Will wait for reviews.

Regarding the story: Playing on the Imperial side seems like a nice idea, but seeing the player character killing dozens, maybe hundreds of rebel soldiers feels very strange. Idk in which direction they are going with this.

Gemüsepizza;252536259 said:
Looks like an improved version of the Battlefield 1 campaign design. A few more cutscenes, but it's still pretty obvious that they used the multiplayer assets for this, and the gameplay also looks similar to MP.

Assets are assets. What else would they use? Why are you surprised that the gameplay is similar? Did you expect the campaign to be an RTS or something?

Sou Da

Gemüsepizza;252536259 said:
Looks like an improved version of the Battlefield 1 campaign design. A few more cutscenes, but it's still pretty obvious that they used the multiplayer assets for this, and the gameplay also looks similar to MP. It also seems that they mainly use the cutscenes and radio communication to advance the story, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of scripting, which unfortunately makes it's MP origins that more aparent. As someone who isn't interested in MP at all, I would buy this, if they can reach the quality of the Call of Duty campaigns. Will wait for reviews.

Regarding the story: Playing on the Imperial side seems like a nice idea, but seeing the player character killing dozens, maybe hundreds of rebel soldiers feels very strange. Idk in which direction they are going with this.

You people are something else.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Assets are assets. What else would they use? Why are you surprised that the gameplay is similar? Did you expect the campaign to be an RTS or something?

Why aren't they making new assets just for SP? How dare they re-use them? Whaaat, you get to use the same kind of weapons in SP too? Lazy developers. /s

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

We have gameplay out now. It absolutely was concern trolling, first you were expressing fear that it would be like the BF1 campaign despite it not being made by DICE, info that's been available for months. Second you responded to an incredibly reasonable post filled with proper info AND impressions with "I'm embarrassed to share this hobby with you." AND on top of all that nonsense, you seemingly have no opinion to express now that there's actually gameplay out. So don't get mad at people for thinking you were concern trolling.

Voidwolf

Campaign stated to be 5-7 hours.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-battlefront-2-story-campaign-preview/

We traveled to EA Motive earlier this week, the new studio based on Montreal whose first piece of software is the single-player story campaign for Star Wars Battlefront II, and there we had the opportunity to play the first three segments of the game (the prologue and first two chapters). All together this took 60-90 minutes to complete and we’re told the full story is about 5-7 hours depending on your play style.

Javier23

Banned
We have gameplay out now. It absolutely was concern trolling, first you were expressing fear that it would be like the BF1 campaign despite it not being made by DICE, info that's been available for months. Second you responded to an incredibly reasonable post filled with proper info AND impressions with "I'm embarrassed to share this hobby with you." AND on top of all that nonsense, you seemingly have no opinion to express now that there's actually gameplay out. So don't get mad at people for thinking you were concern trolling.
Stating that I had no idea if the SP campaign was gonna be good or not and so I was waiting on further information on that is now trolling. Ridiculous.

Voidwolf

Motive has revealed some new info on Star Cards for campaign and multiplayer. They make is sound like we'll be able to break down Star Cards for scrap to craft other cards and upgrades we prefer.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/603493/EA+Motive+on+Battlefront+IIs+Supply+Crates+no+one+has+an+advantage/
"To address that the campaign does that in a number of ways. Inside the campaign there are collectibles you may have found somewhere (you've played the demo), so you can get crafting materials. Now, that can be fed back into the Crate system and you can build Star Cards from those, craft Star Cards."
"And if you end up with cards you don't like", Matthews further explains, "they can be broken down into crafting materials and then, again, crafted into new cards. We see that meta is something that's really compelling for the player, because no one has an advantage, it just gives you more options in gameplay".
"It's about tactical variety, so if I get a Star Card and I go 'nah I'm not going to use this because it's not to my style, it's not what I like to play', like Chris said grind it down, turn it into materials, build something at will. And then those cards you're going to be using them in multiplayer and the campaign. Iden has Star Cards that you can unlock specifically for her, and then of course she's a multiplayer Hero, so you're going to be able to take all those Star Cards that you unlock, whether it's from play, or from purchase, and feed them into your entire career in multiplayer, whether it's Heroes, your Special, your Assault, your Officer, your Heavy, your Starfighters, your Interceptors, your Hero Ships... Everything has Star Card slots, you can enhance it and just improve every aspect of the game to make it your own custom experience".

So 4 hours.

Lol, probably for those that rush through it.

I kept my PS4 preorder because of this only basically.

I wasn't that impressed with the MP beta and that level was flat and lame AF.

Otherwise would've only got PC version when it went super deluxe in a year.

I expected more scripted, cinematic stuff. For example, look at this Call of Duty gameplay reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDv4kus6eo

You can immediately see how much effort went into this. It's full of scripted moments, it's an incredible, cinematic experience. That's high quality stuff, that's what I want. When I look at the Battlefront II gameplay, I don't see anything like that. The Endor sequence was particulary jarring. It looked like they took the map from Battlefront I and slapped a few NPCs and objective markers on it and where done with it. It also doesn't help that this video was only 50 seconds long. And those cutscenes, as beautiful as they are, aren't enough to get me over this seemingly bland gameplay. I simply expect more in 2017.

Edit: Here is also a good example of a more cinematic, engaging approach, this is from Battlefront I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7waDN0ukFxw

This looks fucking epic. I want gameplay like this.

prag16

Banned

Eh, not ideal but I'm okay with this, as long as it is high quality throughout. Regardless, the amount of time campaigns typically take me exceeds what reviewers state (understandably I guess, they have time constraints and have to rush through games in many cases). So if the devs say 5-7, the reviewers will blow through in 4-5, and for me it'll probably be back up to the 6+ area. Hopefully there's some replayability.

Top Bottom