• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - SP gameplay and hands on

Motive has revealed some new info on Star Cards for campaign and multiplayer. They make is sound like we'll be able to break down Star Cards for scrap to craft other cards and upgrades we prefer.

Lol, probably for those that rush through it.

Ill make sure to stop and take in the scenery every 10 minutes.

It's actually over 100+ hours if you count all the ways you can replay it, each time with a different gun. Or in first and then third person. So, think of it that way.

lol hey its 2 hours longer than the movie, think of it THAT way.

Gemüsepizza;252536259 said:
Looks like an improved version of the Battlefield 1 campaign design. A few more cutscenes, but it's still pretty obvious that they used the multiplayer assets for this, and the gameplay also looks similar to MP. It also seems that they mainly use the cutscenes and radio communication to advance the story, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of scripting, which unfortunately makes it's MP origins that more aparent. As someone who isn't interested in MP at all, I would buy this, if they can reach the quality of the Call of Duty campaigns. Will wait for reviews.

Regarding the story: Playing on the Imperial side seems like a nice idea, but seeing the player character killing dozens, maybe hundreds of rebel soldiers feels very strange. Idk in which direction they are going with this.

What the fuck is it supposed to look like? XCOM?

Jesus.

Gemüsepizza;252540750 said:
I expected more scripted, cinematic stuff. For example, look at this Call of Duty gameplay reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDv4kus6eo

You can immediately see how much effort went into this. It's full of scripted moments, it's an incredible, cinematic experience. That's high quality stuff, that's what I want. When I look at the Battlefront II gameplay, I don't see anything like that. The Endor sequence was particulary jarring. It looked like they took the map from Battlefront I and slapped a few NPCs and objective markers on it and where done with it. It also doesn't help that this video was only 50 seconds long. And those cutscenes, as beautiful as they are, aren't enough to get me over this seemingly bland gameplay. I simply expect more in 2017.

Edit: Here is also a good example of a more cinematic, engaging approach, this is from Battlefront I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7waDN0ukFxw

This looks fucking epic. I want gameplay like this.

A Single-Player campaign can be captivating and cinematic without having linear set-pieces. Take a look at games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, and Metal Gear Solid V; all three offer narratives, but they aren't presented in a linear fashion.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Gemüsepizza;252543201 said:
Like a modern, cinematic SP game in 2017? See my follow-up post. If you take away the pretty cutscenes, the gameplay simply looks bland.
Games are moving away from linearity and cinematic set pieces being the majority of the campaign. Some of the previews even talked about the option to skip encounters entirely. By all accounts, that is modern.

prag16

Banned
Gemüsepizza;252543201 said:
Like a modern, cinematic SP game in 2017? See my follow-up post. If you take away the pretty cutscenes, the gameplay simply looks bland.

I mean, to each his own I guess, if you mainly just care about the elaborate set pieces (and those super expensive elaborate set pieces are probably one of the major things "killing" single player games to a certain degree). Though I disagree that the seemingly definitive conclusions you're drawing from what little we've seen are reasonable at this point in time. And those Call of Duty campaigns aren't nonstop action movies either.

It's also a little weird to see somebody holding up a CoD campaign as an exemplar of what a great single player game should be. Just don't see that too often.

So much for all the concern troll shitposts from the other trailer thread.

Looks pretty good to me. Looks like you can manually control her little probe droid and scout out areas ahead.

Dunno if this one was in the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9hP0jBWuQ

Being able to seal doors behind you and cut off pursuers by shooting the control panel like in the movies was a really cool touch

Holy shit the debris field starfighter mission looks amazing

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gemüsepizza;252536259 said:
Looks like an improved version of the Battlefield 1 campaign design. A few more cutscenes, but it's still pretty obvious that they used the multiplayer assets for this, and the gameplay also looks similar to MP. It also seems that they mainly use the cutscenes and radio communication to advance the story, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of scripting, which unfortunately makes it's MP origins that more aparent. As someone who isn't interested in MP at all, I would buy this, if they can reach the quality of the Call of Duty campaigns. Will wait for reviews.

The assets used in this game are literally digital scans of on set props from the movies. What else would they use?

JoeLT

I expected more scripted, cinematic stuff. For example, look at this Call of Duty gameplay reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDv4kus6eo

You can immediately see how much effort went into this. It's full of scripted moments, it's an incredible, cinematic experience. That's high quality stuff, that's what I want. When I look at the Battlefront II gameplay, I don't see anything like that. The Endor sequence was particulary jarring. It looked like they took the map from Battlefront I and slapped a few NPCs and objective markers on it and where done with it. It also doesn't help that this video was only 50 seconds long. And those cutscenes, as beautiful as they are, aren't enough to get me over this seemingly bland gameplay. I simply expect more in 2017.

Edit: Here is also a good example of a more cinematic, engaging approach, this is from Battlefront I:

Damn that Battlefront 1 trailer is exactly what I expected. This is looking pretty disappointing so far, will still hold out hope however.

prag16

Banned

Don't think this edit was here yet when I first read this post...

But, I mean, that doesn't even have any gameplay. That's a cut scene to introduce the new multi-player map at the time. Not sure if that clip even ended up in the game. And as we know that game has no campaign of any kind.

Your posts in this thread kind of baffle me. You shit on BF2's campaign but praise its cutscenes, but then point to a BF1 cutscene to demonstrate why you think the BF2 campaign's gameplay is bland?? And further you hold up CoD campaigns (notoriously average at best by most accounts) as your standard to aspire to??

We were never going to get 6 hours of end to end Naughty Dog style set pieces. Hell ND games don't contain 6 hours of end to end ND style set pieces.

Top Bottom