• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Announced by EA (DICE)

Grit

Neo Member
I never understand why people get hyped over a CG trailer.

Battlefront had been rumored to be in the works for years then it was confirmed canceled when FreeRadical went out.
The fact that it is alive and being made by DICE is what has made everyone so hyped.

Finally glad that Star Wars was taken away from Lucas Arts

It killed Pandemic and Free Radical. Now that DICE has it the curse may be lifted? I hope they bring back the space battles like BF2. God those were so amazing.

The vision Free Radical had for Battlefront 3 was you could be fighting in the trenches on Hoth, jump into a TIE fighter and seamlessly leave the planet's atmosphere to engage in a space battle. No loading screens.

Now imagine that next-gen. On Frostbite 3. With 64 players.

The vision Free Radical had for Battlefront 3 was you could be fighting in the trenches on Hoth, jump into a TIE fighter and seamlessly leave the planet's atmosphere to engage in a space battle. No loading screens.

Now imagine that next-gen. On Frostbite 3. With 64 players.

Or on PC with 128 players (wishful thinking).

SmartBase

This kinda kills my expectations of seeing a 2143 any time soon.

I'm curious to see DICE's sound design work with a Star Wars game.

Enjoy all the bullshit EA will bake into the game, as well as the 24 month expiration date on the multiplayer.

Well, I'll be playing on PC, so I'll be able to find servers long after EA shuts down their dedis. Enjoy not knowing shit about a game and jumping to conclusions, I suppose. Though I do fully expect a dab of the EA bullshit.

Prine

Banned
Ive never been interested in BF or COD largely because i dont like realistic military shooters (dont mind scifi shooters) but i was impressed with the gunplay in BF4. Now use that gunplay in starwars universer and im there DAY ONE!!!!!

rmanthorp

I made a thing late at night about what I want in Battlefront.

http://pastebin.com/4HS0Wbwg

An open letter to DICE Re:SW:Battlefront:
So uh - take some ideas from them mobas, they are great and popular for many reasons. The sense of combat and achievement with every match, the sense of action and scale - there always cool shit happening. I feel elements of the moba can fit MP shooters well and I want Star Wars: Battlefront to be that shooter. Anyway - One of the things that makes the mobas great is the use of AI drones (creeps) as a crucial game mechanics. Providing actions for players as well as being used to take down the turrets and ultimately the enemy base. SO let me break this down for you Battlefront style:
MOBA MP MODE IN SW:BF:
- 5v5 - 16v16 human players with loads of AI dudes spawning all over
- Objective is to take out/blow up the enemy base or something (this could be a spaceship whateves)
- The multiple paths to the base have auto turrets that fuck people up
- AI Drones with spawn on either side (stormtroopers and rebels n' that)
- Autoturrets will always attack AI first etc.
- AI could be more smart with all that cloud shit like TitanFall
- Players can invest in their bases to get upgraded AI troops - more weapons - more vehicles
BENEFITS:
- Battles will seem large in scale
- Maps can be huge and the players will not feel alone or get lost
- AI can spawn near alone players and inform them how to get to objectives
- Games will have a good flow and objective like a MOBA
- Players can farm AI people to help if they are getting killed by other humans a lot IDK
- Team play is encouraged - woo!
EXTRA STUFF:
- GROUND TO SPACE COMBAT
- Hero characters will tear up AI players and feel good
- Vehicles
- Verticality
- I want this game pretty bad so thanks

Top Bottom