• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just got out of whooping 10 match win streak of an entire Supremacy map cycle.

That, and the fact that my final map was Jakku and sweeped it as the Rebels makes me feel like I "finished" this game.

Palpable

What is your tip for Hero Hunt?

Hero Hunt is hit or miss. When being a hero, it depends on the map and the character as to what you should do. For Han & Leia, always camp and pop out for kills. You should always be on the run with Luke & Fett. Vader & Palpatine you should be camping and popping out for kills. In terms of getting hero kills, use lots of nades and a rapid fire gun.

I have rammed several AT-ST's by accident as I am a terrible pilot at the ground level. I'm not particularly good anyway, but I have a definite issue figuring out where the bottom of my ship is.

You don't play in 3rd person when piloting?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hero Hunt is hit or miss. When being a hero, it depends on the map and the character as to what you should do. For Han & Leia, always camp and pop out for kills. You should always be on the run with Luke & Fett. Vader & Palpatine you should be camping and popping out for kills. In terms of getting hero kills, use lots of nades and a rapid fire gun.

Thank you sir.

nillah

Banned
Nerfs are stupid, empower the weaker elements.

Reached level 50 in under 50 hours!

Also tried out the remote play, powered up but the left-right analog is glitched where you can't navigate your character east or west -_-

Xzan

Finally hit level 50 after 46 hours played since launch; the shadow trooper gear is finally mine!

Until the next patch I probably won't be playing the game quite as heavily as I have been recently, just because I don't want to burn out.

Does anyone here swap between 1st and 3rd person during gameplay? I play 3rd person only at the moment but I'm wondering if there's any advantage to switching between the two perspectives (accuracy etc).

1st person is generally better indoors and for fine aiming with the precision weapons.

e.g. you can easily shoot through the gap in the supports inside bunker corridors in 1st person but good luck doing that in 3rd.

Ozorov

I wonder what OT-timeline weapons they could add. Any guesses? I really would like some unique weapons that are different to the current ones

JimiNutz

Banned
Haven't touched it since I first started playing the game and was forced to, but I just started using the standard Rebel rifle (A280C) and it's actually a pretty decent weapon? Range on it is a lot better than I remember. Seen quite a few people using it now, anyone else here use it?
I'd been using the EE-3 almost exclusively but git frustrated with it today because my aim was off (which just seems to happen on some days).

pitchfork

Haven't touched it since I first started playing the game and was forced to, but I just started using the standard Rebel rifle (A280C) and it's actually a pretty decent weapon? Range on it is a lot better than I remember. Seen quite a few people using it now, anyone else here use it?
I'd been using the EE-3 almost exclusively but git frustrated with it today because my aim was off (which just seems to happen on some days).

Its my weapon of choice now. Seems to have better accuracy than any of the other rifles

Ozorov

Yup its my main weapon

So... Any guesses when the update will arrive?
Really want to play Turning Point on the other large maps. The Jakku one is getting a bit stale.
Also: the new maps are going to be large maps right?

Xzan

I was shocked how good it is. Seems far more accurate than I remember it being.
Did they change it since launch?

IIRC, they nerfed it slightly after the beta but otherwise its untouched since. Its only real weakness to me is that it doesn't feel like it hits very hard.

The 2 new maps (Hoth and Endor) we're seemingly built for WA.

SmsGyd7iwGL2o.gif

17-18th or 24-25 is my guess

Well, fingers crossed for the 17th then....

Hope they will be available on turning point aswell. Then we will get 6 new maps for that mode

Personally I thought the game was fine content wise, and at this rate all the "no content"-sayers all running out of arguments really fast.
The game is becoming really meaty, without spending a single dime on DLC.

Ozorov

All new Large maps will be available for Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point.

ActualFeistyBettong.gif

I also hope we'll get some expensive DLC-stuff so you got something to save up the credits for. Upgrading star cards I never use doesn't feel so inspiring to save for.

Xzan

When you're desperate for a Cycler Rifle kill...

Not exactly graceful but I was mostly just screwing around for that match. It was one of those matches where a whole bunch of people had left, leaving the other team down by 4-5 players.

There's been a bunch of guys getting cocky lately with their personal shields. If they're far enough away they'll stand there and flex at me. At least, until I whip out the Cycler Rifle and gun them down. Those that survive will try to leg it then get shot in the back when their shield expires. Its hilarious, I wish I'd recorded them.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Decided to have some fun and pick out gameplay musical cues from the various SW soundtracks for any heroes/villains that are the most likely (in my opinion) to appear in both future DLC or an entirely new Battlefront game. Even put some specific URL time stamps in the tracks too.

Anakin - Intro: 0.00 - 0.22, Defeat: 0.32 - 0.53
Darth Maul - Intro: 2.50 - 3.04, Defeat: 3.14 - 3.27
Obi-Wan/Ben - Intro:0.30 - 0.45, Defeat: 3.20 - 3.35
Chewie - Intro: 5.00 - 5.18, Defeat: 1.53 - 2.08
IG-88 - Intro: 0.40 - 1.00
Rey - Intro: 2.12 - 2.36, Defeat: 7.45 - 8.06
Finn - Intro: 2.00 - 2.15, Defeat: 5.45 - 6.00
Kylo Ren - Intro: 4.19 - 4.35, Defeat: 1.10 - 1.30

Considering how fun doing this was, I might even pick out more for other characters

You know what's genuinely great about this game.

The amount of new, or shooter newbs that usually shy away from a game like this. This game has not only attracted these people but managed to keep them addicted.

It's pretty cool.

The amount of new, or shooter newbs that usually shy away from a game like this. This game has not only attracted these people but managed to keep them addicted.

It's pretty cool.

Sometimes I almost feel guilty of decimating a team that has a lot of low level players with few star cards unlocked.

Palpable

After playing in the tournament and being challeneged by a group of assholes from gamebattles (thus having to sign up & officially be 'challeneged' on the site), I have found that doing competitive play on this game will only piss me off and suck the enjoyment from it. Competitive play brings out the worst in people and generally causes everyone to be toxic. I wont name the team that we faced from gamebattles, but goddamn what a group of sore winners. After this tournament, I'll be hard pressed to join any others.

After playing in the tournament and being challeneged by a group of assholes from gamebattles (thus having to sign up & officially be 'challeneged' on the site), I have found that doing competitive play on this game will only piss me off and suck the enjoyment from it. Competitive play brings out the worst in people and generally causes everyone to be toxic. I wont name the team that we faced from gamebattles, but goddamn what a group of sore winners. After this tournament, I'll be hard pressed to join any others.
Was it a team from the BFC tournament that challenged you on GB?

PM if you have any concerns about this, we don't want people to be driven away by toxic behavior.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It's pretty cool.

Agreed. It reminds me of the old school PC FPS games, where you just jump in and play. Simple, accessible, and fun. But there is still plenty of strategy to be had as well.

Xzan

So, I really hadn't given the Pulse Cannon a fair go. I mean, just messing around with it offline it seemed like the Team Fortress sniper rifle but with massive aim assist and felt really cheesy. I decided to give it a go tonight on Endor Supremacy to see the 'aim' people on reddit, etc. claim it requires that makes it less of a cheap kill than the Bowcaster or Homing Shot.

Yeah. Nah. Its as easy to use as I thought it was. With that aim assist, it felt like I actually had to do something stupid to miss with it (ie. hipfire at 30m+). Rebel running across the river into the bushes 70m away? *PEW* dead... Rebel running up the path 50m away?*PEW* dead... Boba trying to capture your point? *PEW* 150 points... Boba Fett flyingaway 30m from the ground *PEW* dead...

Back to the Cycler Rifle for me, I think. Or maybe I'll try the smoke grenades, I've been meaning to give them an honest go.

Xzan

Agreed. It reminds me of the old school PC FPS games, where you just jump in and play. Simple, accessible, and fun. But there is still plenty of strategy to be had as well.

Yes, exactly what I love about it. Star Wars + old school FPS is the perfect combo for me.

No worrying about unlocking the grip that reduces first shot recoil by 33% (Angled of course, not Folding, which looks silly), the Chinese 4x scope (not the boring US ACOG), and a green laser sight (way cooler than the red laser) for every....single...weapon... just to see if I like one gun THAT much better than another.

lawnchair

Banned

what happened? i need details. what does a team have to do to beat your team? etc. were they "cheap" in some way or what

why was actual competition so unfun? you seem pretty competitive. was it just the attitude of the winners?

PrankT

Not to mention scheduling issues that waste everyone's time.

PrankT

Is this in regards to GameBattles or the BFC tournament?
The BFC tournament. Since my schedule is hectic I made myself available as a backup in case people couldn't make it. I wasn't needed, but did carve some time around matches Friday and Saturday that got rescheduled twice. It's just an online gaming issue, it's why I stopped playing competitive games.

The BFC tournament. Since my schedule is hectic I made myself available as a backup in case people couldn't make it. I wasn't needed, but did carve some time around matches Friday and Saturday that got rescheduled twice. It's just an online gaming issue, it's why I stopped playing competitive games.
Ever since I got a serious girlfriend in college (now my wife) I lost a desire for competition, which is why I'm just PR staff and not on a team. I know how frustrating it can be to schedule matches.

Palpable

what happened? i need details. what does a team have to do to beat your team? etc. were they "cheap" in some way or what

why was actual competition so unfun? you seem pretty competitive. was it just the attitude of the winners?

For one, I was streaming & they were watching as they played us (they admitted to this). I accidentally left mic sharing on, so they heard us too. We shit talked within our own team about their style of play (pulse cannons, explosive shot, scan pulse, the usual BS) amongst ourselves that they weren't mean to hear. That's on us, I messed up there with leaving mic sharing on. With a 10 second delay, they could see what side we spawned on and readily prepare as well. They got us to sign up on GB so they could officially challenge us because they don't scrim, claiming it doesn't "matter". They want records of all matches, which is absolutely stupid. They refused to rematch us on our terms for the 2nd match because GB requires a team wait 12 hours for a rematch. We rarely play drop zone, so we had that against us as well. We prefer cargo, but they refused a scrim. Also, the bans they suggested on a cargo rematch would be no charge cards, no blaster pistols, and no jump packs. Our match against them we banned nothing. Utterly ridiculous on their part.

I'm competitive to a point, sure, but at the end of the day I play this game for fun.

Not to mention scheduling issues that waste everyone's time.

That first team was beyond unorganized. I feel your pain.

For one, I was streaming & they were watching as they played us (they admitted to this). I accidentally left mic sharing on, so they heard us too. We shit talked within our own team about their style of play (pulse cannons, explosive shot, scan pulse, the usual BS) amongst ourselves that they weren't mean to hear. That's on us, I messed up there with leaving mic sharing on. With a 10 second delay, they could see what side we spawned on and readily prepare as well. They got us to sign up on GB so they could officially challenge us because they don't scrim, claiming it doesn't "matter". They want records of all matches, which is absolutely stupid. They refused to rematch us on our terms for the 2nd match because GB requires a team wait 12 hours for a rematch. We rarely play drop zone, so we had that against us as well. We prefer cargo, but they refused a scrim. Also, the bans they suggested on a cargo rematch would be no charge cards, no blaster pistols, and no jump packs. Our match against them we banned nothing. Utterly ridiculous on their part.

Wait, so you guys were trash talking then got owned by the other team who then proceeded to trash talk about the win?

What am I missing here?

Wait, so you guys were trash talking then got owned by the other team who then proceeded to trash talk about the win?

What am I missing here?
Sounds like the other team was being unethical and unsportsmanlike by watching a stream of the other team and listening in on their voice communication. A respectable team would have informed Infinity Patriot that he left the stream on and not abused it.

5taquitos

Really wonder how they're going to make the new maps different from the big Endor and Hoth maps we have now.

Yep, that's what has me the most interested as well. They're going to have to be drastically different to stand apart from the existing Hoth and Endor maps, which I actually think will be harder with the Endor one than the Hoth one.

The trees will make all Endor maps look similar, but at least with Hoth the geography is much easier to see so you can make noticeable changes.

Ozorov

Yep, that's what has me the most interested as well. They're going to have to be drastically different to stand apart from the existing Hoth and Endor maps, which I actually think will be harder with the Endor one than the Hoth one.

The trees will make all Endor maps look similar, but at least with Hoth the geography is much easier to see so you can make noticeable changes.

It will be the standard Endor and Hoth map... but mirrored!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom