• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

RyanW

I think at this point the 10 or so people they had left working on this game have been absorbed into Battlefront 2.

I figured. I imagine we'll get a small patch or two to cover fixes and improvements with the occasional bonus xp weekend here and there.

LoveCake

I still think that need to continue with a couple of people, there are patches and bonus XP to add, maybe they will even add some new weapons and skins?

They did put out the CJ-9 weapon only a couple of weeks ago.

Surely they will keep adding a little here and there to keep the player-base going forward and busy until the next game is a couple of months from release?

Played quite a bit over the weekend. It seemed better than when I played it a few weeks back during the Scariff release.

I do have to note though, what is going on with the loading times and subsequent starting spawns? For some reason the game is always underway even though I enter immediately and people are already picking up tokens or even sitting on the uplinks. Has this been intentional to stagger the spawns somewhat or is this just another unintentional side-effect?

It also means I always lose the rush to the first hero token. While we're on the topic of the hero tokens.. man, am I getting shafted lately with these. I used to get them quite frequently, but now I never get the first one due to spawns. And if I manage to snag one of them midway through the game, I always get tagged at the last possible second.

Having quite a bit of fun with the DT-29 and explosive shot. It's pretty murderous on maps like Endor etc. sure, you'd probably do just as well with an EE-3 or E-11 but it's good for the variation.

Ozorov

Who are the best people to pester at EA/Dice, for new weapons and skins etc?

You should probably ask Lucasarts/Disney instead since they are the ones deciding what can and can't be in the game. Even if DICE wanted to do skin X and Y, it's totally up to Lucasarts/Disney if they can.

I don't expect anything new from this game from this point, I think the skeleton crew that worked on the DLCs already have moved onto the BF2-team.

Oynox

Has anyone here all stars from survival missions? Some of them are super frustrating, any tips?

After playing all the DLCs I am fairly certain that the Bespin DLC is the best, maybe together with Outer Rim. Both are completely different due to Outer Rim being CQC and Bespin greater battles. But especially the big game modes on Bespin are an absolute blast! Playing Walker Assault, Sabotage and Supremacy altogether is just big fun. I prefer Sabotage over all those modes partly due to agressive exchange of power with all those heroes. It really is a great mode.

FN-2187

Has anyone here all stars from survival missions? Some of them are super frustrating, any tips?

After playing all the DLCs I am fairly certain that the Bespin DLC is the best, maybe together with Outer Rim. Both are completely different due to Outer Rim being CQC and Bespin greater battles. But especially the big game modes on Bespin are an absolute blast! Playing Walker Assault, Sabotage and Supremacy altogether is just big fun. I prefer Sabotage over all those modes partly due to agressive exchange of power with all those heroes. It really is a great mode.

I think Extraction and Sabotage might be my two favourite modes in the entire game. I wish they were both available in the full game, rather than exclusive to their expansion packs.

Aquila

Patience really. Each map does have a spot where you can kind of hold up and funnel the onslaught of stormtroopers, ties, and at-st's. Only grab drop pods near the end of a round. Pray you get an auto turret, blaster cannon, or droid pickup early.

OldMan

Banned
Why add another capture based mode when you already have that in the likes of droid run and drop zone. Conquest is good but let's not act like it needs to be in every shooter moving forward.

5taquitos

Why add another capture based mode when you already have that in the likes of droid run and drop zone. Conquest is good but let's not act like it needs to be in every shooter moving forward.

Well the whole point of Conquest is large maps with full player counts and all the vehicles, which neither Droid Run nor Drop Zone do. Supremacy is a poor substitute.

RyanW

If they can come up with a new big team mode that doesn't promote linear gameplay and map design then go ahead, but Conquest is the best shot especially when it was in the original Battlefront games.

WillyFive

How is the population on the PC side?
The base game is just 10€ on Origin. Tempting.

Always good as long as you stick to choosing the generic 40 player, 12 player, generic Fighter Squadron, or Hero playlists. Anything outside of that usually fails at finding servers.

Tapejara

I just played a round of Sabotage where someone on the enemy team went 102-0 as Lando. The other hero players on the Rebel side went flawless as well, and they camped the Hell out of our hero pick ups so we couldn't get to them. The guy camped our spawn (Carbonite Chamber) firing power blasts into it before people even had a chance to move, and also one shotted me many times from ridiculously far away. Checked his profile and his PSN background is a Battlefront scoreboard of him going 231-5.

Is there some exploit I'm not aware of? Should I report him, and if so should I just report him on PSN or is there a way to directly report to DICE?

--

I love Sabotage and Extraction so much. Hope they come back for Battlefront 2.

Foxxsoxx

So I haven't really played since and I decided to see how the game has progressed and I really, really can't get into this.

There are so many mechanics in place that I can't even begin to grasp what is best to use or which weapons are good in certain situations.

I play a round of Walker Assault on Graveyard of Giants, my team gets obliterated. There's one guy with a hero class that literally kills everyone on the team as they spawn in, within half a second. He managed to get 60 kills and 2 deaths. If I wasn't dying from him the moment I spawned then there was a good chance a pilot would get me within the first few moments of spawning. I was picked off from pilots about 5 times within 3-4 seconds of spawning this match. I was killed the moment I spawned by the guy with one of the hero classes about 7 times, along with several of our teammates multiple times. I had two teammates go 0-36 with most other teammates having pretty similar scores. Team balancing seemed skewed as hell...

Anyway I try another lobby because obviously my team is awful and they're getting farmed. Same thing, people absolutely dominating. Then I try to play some Cargo, again I get guys absolutely dominating, on a playing field I can't even begin to describe. I know the obvious things, running makes you appear on the radar, etc but this was absolutely infuriating to have to go up against every single match.

I really want to like the game, but I just can't handle this kind of chaos. It's a clusterfuck, and I'm used to clusterfucks with Battlefield and I love it there but here it is just random unorganized annoyance at almost all times with glimmers of fun before it's ruined by random BS.

I know I'm real late to the party, but I don't think I've ever experienced a multiplayer game as unassessable as this in my life, which I find hilarious considering Dice wanted anyone to be able to play this. Sorry for being so negative, I enjoyed it way more at launch when most people were awful, now I'm just depressed because I desperately wanted to like this...

WillyFive

The game is a meatgrinder, and DICE never bothered to put basic team balancing features on the game (due to no custom servers like they did for their pre-BF1 Battlefields).

Ozorov

Running makes you visible on the radar?

Yup, you can use the scout trait which have the following effects;

Level 1: Firing blasters does not show on enemy scanner.
Level 2: Firing blasters and sprinting does not show on enemy scanner.
Level 3: Firing blasters and sprinting does not show on enemy scanner and killing an enemy scrambles enemy scanners.

shanafan

Yup, you can use the scout trait which have the following effects;

Level 1: Firing blasters does not show on enemy scanner.
Level 2: Firing blasters and sprinting does not show on enemy scanner.
Level 3: Firing blasters and sprinting does not show on enemy scanner and killing an enemy scrambles enemy scanners.

Thanks. I guess I need to stop always running! That trait can be helpful though for my playstyle.

5taquitos

Thanks. I guess I need to stop always running! That trait can be helpful though for my playstyle.
Before the trait changes, it was the only trait the majority of the playerbase ever used.

It used to prevent you from appearing on the radar when sprinting at level 1, meaning it was immediately active.

Ozorov

Before the trait changes, it was the only trait the majority of the playerbase ever used.

It used to prevent you from appearing on the radar when sprinting at level 1, meaning it was immediately active.

I remember when everyone was using Homing Shot, so many people were using Bodyguard-trait since the homing shot didn't kill you in one shot with that trait :). I also loved the trait which you got power ups from kills. I think they have changed almost every trait since the launch traits, right? Some more than others.

Yeah when was that changed? I remember that too, now it's pretty much useless to me since I always sprint anyway.

I don't think sprinting should show up on the radar in BF 4/2, just firing.

Foxxsoxx

I'm playing a few more matches today in Supremacy. This seems a lot less frustrating than the other modes, though it is still a total meatgrinder.

It's like every map in this game is Metro in Battlefield.

MrDaravon

Yeah when I hop on in bursts here and there to finish the grind to 100 if nothing else (almost there) I've been leaning towards Supremacy just because it's mindless and can be frustrating, but not as much as Walker Assault. WA is still my favorite mode but as the lifespan of the game has gone on I feel like there's more and more of a divide in player skills between the super casuals/kids and hardcore folks; most matches are a total blowout one way or the other, and I can always tell who is partied up because there's often 2-4 total fucking monsters on one team that never get split up on map changes. And only total godlike players are able to really carry a team of 20 on their backs, and I'm definitely not that good lol.

Supremacy IS a meatgrinder and can be frustrating (especially on one or two maps) but it's less frustrating to me than playing with a shitty team in WA, and at least curbstomps in Supremacy are way quicker matches than in WA. Plus it's a bit more mindless which is nice when I just want to listen to music or podcasts or a stream on the side or something.

Was talking with the friend I was playing with tonight that even though I have a lot of frustrations with the game that are addressable that they just haven't done due to staffing or whatever, the game still has fantastic individual moments that are great. I really hope they do more justice with Battlefront 2.

Ozorov

Yeah when I hop on in bursts here and there to finish the grind to 100 if nothing else (almost there) I've been leaning towards Supremacy just because it's mindless and can be frustrating, but not as much as Walker Assault. WA is still my favorite mode but as the lifespan of the game has gone on I feel like there's more and more of a divide in player skills between the super casuals/kids and hardcore folks; most matches are a total blowout one way or the other, and I can always tell who is partied up because there's often 2-4 total fucking monsters on one team that never get split up on map changes. And only total godlike players are able to really carry a team of 20 on their backs, and I'm definitely not that good lol.

Supremacy IS a meatgrinder and can be frustrating (especially on one or two maps) but it's less frustrating to me than playing with a shitty team in WA, and at least curbstomps in Supremacy are way quicker matches than in WA. Plus it's a bit more mindless which is nice when I just want to listen to music or podcasts or a stream on the side or something.

Was talking with the friend I was playing with tonight that even though I have a lot of frustrations with the game that are addressable that they just haven't done due to staffing or whatever, the game still has fantastic individual moments that are great. I really hope they do more justice with Battlefront 2.
If they do the right adjustments to Battlefront 2, it could be a really really good game. Will be interesting to see how much content they can pack in considering that put many people away from the first game at launch.

I'm excited for Battlefront 2 as well. It'll be nice to see different environments, characters, etc. I hope they are a bit better with patch support and hotfixes though. Took way too long for them to fix game-breaking bugs and stuff in my opinion. Still have a blast playing, but even today I'm surprised to see stuff that will probably never be tweaked.

In particular, still getting way too many people playing as Lando and sniping people from a football field away with Power Blast (Graveyard of Giants is the worst offender here). Also, Krennic is a fucking blast to play but Armor Breaker needs to be tuned down. It's hilariously easy to get 40-50+ kills with him, and half the time I've managed that while defending uplinks in WA. I'd imagine if you just hang back and don't play the objective you can get into the 75-100 kill range easily.

Ozorov

I'm excited for Battlefront 2 as well. It'll be nice to see different environments, characters, etc. I hope they are a bit better with patch support and hotfixes though. Took way too long for them to fix game-breaking bugs and stuff in my opinion. Still have a blast playing, but even today I'm surprised to see stuff that will probably never be tweaked.

In particular, still getting way too many people playing as Lando and sniping people from a football field away with Power Blast (Graveyard of Giants is the worst offender here). Also, Krennic is a fucking blast to play but Armor Breaker needs to be tuned down. It's hilariously easy to get 40-50+ kills with him, and half the time I've managed that while defending uplinks in WA. I'd imagine if you just hang back and don't play the objective you can get into the 75-100 kill range easily.

I think that just how DICE works, release a patch with something OP OP OP. And fix it later on. That at least the experience I've got from them the past years with Battlefields and Battlefront. They don't fix something fast unless it's completely game breaking. The thing with Battlefront patches is that a very small team have worked on the game post-launch. And their priority has been to finish the DLC packs in time. I really hope we will get another model for Battlefront 2, with no season pass or maybe a cheaper season pass but that only includes extra weapons, heroes etc. And that maps will be free for all player. But seeing how things went out with Battlefield 1 I don't think they will go with that route. Oh and a server brower is a must in Battlefront 2, but I hope they understand that.

I've seen a rumor floating around about the name for Battlefront 2 which is "Battlefront 2: Wrath of the First Order". I call it being BS (the rumor come from a reddit post about Nintendo Switch). What do you guys think about that title? I think they will just name it Battlefront 2.

5taquitos

I've seen a rumor floating around about the name for Battlefront 2 which is "Battlefront 2: Wrath of the First Order". I call it being BS (the rumor come from a reddit post about Nintendo Switch). What do you guys think about that title? I think they will just name it Battlefront 2.
God I hope not. If that's the title, then the game is a lock for only Episode 7 and 8 content, and since 8 won't be out yet (or out at the same time), content from 8 would be gimped like the Rogue One pack was.

Also, that title would mean no OT content, let alone any Prequel or Rebels content.

Just no.

Zereta

God I hope not. If that's the title, then the game is a lock for only Episode 7 and 8 content, and since 8 won't be out yet (or out at the same time), content from 8 would be gimped like the Rogue One pack was.

Also, that title would mean no OT content, let alone any Prequel or Rebels content.

Just no.

Unless it tracks the history of the First Order and its roots from the Empire? A chance to explore that transition narrative wise as well as have all that content.

But I call BS solely because I doubt they'll put a subtitle on there.

void666

Banned
So I haven't really played since and I decided to see how the game has progressed and I really, really can't get into this.

There are so many mechanics in place that I can't even begin to grasp what is best to use or which weapons are good in certain situations.

I play a round of Walker Assault on Graveyard of Giants, my team gets obliterated. There's one guy with a hero class that literally kills everyone on the team as they spawn in, within half a second. He managed to get 60 kills and 2 deaths. If I wasn't dying from him the moment I spawned then there was a good chance a pilot would get me within the first few moments of spawning. I was picked off from pilots about 5 times within 3-4 seconds of spawning this match. I was killed the moment I spawned by the guy with one of the hero classes about 7 times, along with several of our teammates multiple times. I had two teammates go 0-36 with most other teammates having pretty similar scores. Team balancing seemed skewed as hell...

Anyway I try another lobby because obviously my team is awful and they're getting farmed. Same thing, people absolutely dominating. Then I try to play some Cargo, again I get guys absolutely dominating, on a playing field I can't even begin to describe. I know the obvious things, running makes you appear on the radar, etc but this was absolutely infuriating to have to go up against every single match.

I really want to like the game, but I just can't handle this kind of chaos. It's a clusterfuck, and I'm used to clusterfucks with Battlefield and I love it there but here it is just random unorganized annoyance at almost all times with glimmers of fun before it's ruined by random BS.

I know I'm real late to the party, but I don't think I've ever experienced a multiplayer game as unassessable as this in my life, which I find hilarious considering Dice wanted anyone to be able to play this. Sorry for being so negative, I enjoyed it way more at launch when most people were awful, now I'm just depressed because I desperately wanted to like this...

That's my experience as well. Spawn, die, repeat. And i'm used to large scale mp games. Hell, planetside 2 was never this bad.
I got killed 5 or 6 times by a lando calrissian but i never got to actually see him.
It's very frustrating. I don't have usefull cards. No jet pack, no shield. In battlefield 1 when you first play the game, you're good to go. Starting equipment is fine.
I like star wars and i want to like battlefront. I hope battlefront 2 is very different.

pacman85

So do we know if they are using this Battlefront game as somewhat of a base for Battlefront 2, content wise? Like surely there is no way Battlefront 2 will NOT contain stuff from the original trilogy right? Just imagine the horrible scenarios. Want to play as Luke Skywalker? Just quit out BF2 and load up BF1! Want to play on Hoth? Gotta leave BF2 and go back to BF1 for that.

5taquitos

So do we know if they are using this Battlefront game as somewhat of a base for Battlefront 2, content wise? Like surely there is no way Battlefront 2 will NOT contain stuff from the original trilogy right? Just image the horrible scenarios. Want to play as Luke Skywalker? Just quit out BF2 and load up BF1! Want to play on Hoth? Gotta leave BF2 and go back to BF1 for that.

They'd be insane to leave all the content they've built behind, but I don't trust DICE to make sane decisions anymore.

WillyFive

So do we know if they are using this Battlefront game as somewhat of a base for Battlefront 2, content wise? Like surely there is no way Battlefront 2 will NOT contain stuff from the original trilogy right? Just image the horrible scenarios. Want to play as Luke Skywalker? Just quit out BF2 and load up BF1! Want to play on Hoth? Gotta leave BF2 and go back to BF1 for that.

They made a launcher for Battlefield that is designed to do that, but I don't think they'll do that.

OldMan

Banned
So do we know if they are using this Battlefront game as somewhat of a base for Battlefront 2, content wise? Like surely there is no way Battlefront 2 will NOT contain stuff from the original trilogy right? Just imagine the horrible scenarios. Want to play as Luke Skywalker? Just quit out BF2 and load up BF1! Want to play on Hoth? Gotta leave BF2 and go back to BF1 for that.
There's three light saber holders they could use, I don't mind losing Skywalker.

Ozorov

They'd be insane to leave all the content they've built behind, but I don't trust DICE to make sane decisions anymore.
Touché. But yeah it will be really interesting to see How they will do this since it sounds they wont do any prequal triology stuff. My initial guess would be OT + Rouge One + EP 7 then Ep 8 as dlc perhaps? They can use stuff from books that are canon too I guess, but I havent read any of them

I would be happy if they launch with the same amount of content as Battlefield 1 (same map sizes, amount of weapons and gadgets, modes)
And I think there is more than enough content in the sequels to do it properly. I wouldn't mind sequel content only, as long as it plays and looks great.

Ozorov

I would be happy if they launch with the same amount of content as Battlefield 1 (same map sizes, amount of weapons and gadgets, modes)
And I think there is more than enough content in the sequels to do it properly. I wouldn't mind sequel content only, as long as it plays and looks great.

If Disney would allow DICE to have content from EP 8 in the game before the movie launched. I doubt that and if they do I hope it won't be as empty as the Rogue One DLC felt. I think DICE stated that Battlefront 2 would be having "Much more" content wise so I feel it would be weird only to have EP7 for the launch game. There isn't that many stuff they can chose from, there can be books and shit that I don't follow so maybe there is a lot of content they can chose from?

But if they go with OT + EP7 for example I think there's a dilema with Disney/Lucasfilm since it seems they won't allow that much. You can't play as Luke in Rogue One etc. So I don't think we will see Kylo Ren fighting against young Luke on Hoth etc.

One thing I also hope they will do is bring back classes, I think that would make it feel like a better team based game, with each class contributing in its own way. Now every dude is the same, kinda.

But as you said, as long it looks and plays great we can be happy.

5taquitos

If Disney would allow DICE to have content from EP 8 in the game before the movie launched. I doubt that and if they do I hope it won't be as empty as the Rogue One DLC felt. I think DICE stated that Battlefront 2 would be having "Much more" content wise so I feel it would be weird only to have EP7 for the launch game. There isn't that many stuff they can chose from, there can be books and shit that I don't follow so maybe there is a lot of content they can chose from?

But if they go with OT + EP7 for example I think there's a dilema with Disney/Lucasfilm since it seems they won't allow that much. You can't play as Luke in Rogue One etc. So I don't think we will see Kylo Ren fighting against young Luke on Hoth etc.

One thing I also hope they will do is bring back classes, I think that would make it feel like a better team based game, with each class contributing in its own way. Now every dude is the same, kinda.

But as you said, as long it looks and plays great we can be happy.

Maybe they'll let DICE drop any pretense of canon and just allow them to make a sandbox that you can use all the toys in.

Ha.

Ozorov

Maybe they'll let DICE drop any pretense of canon and just allow them to make a sandbox that you can use all the toys in.

Ha.

mj-laughing.gif

Top Bottom