• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If the main criticism of game will turn out to be a lack of variety or depth then I guess the verdict will be positive for me. I am actually looking forward to an approachable online multiplayer shooter.

Not surprising, though I actually think the arcadey design is preferable to my situation. Just a shame the hard deadline cut into the content as much as it seems.

I'm still expecting great sales, but the prime concern is the longevity of the greater community.
Bidding @ 78.

pnutboy

I think the Metascore will round out at 76-77 for this one. About what I was expecting, I knew lack of content would be a problem. Will still pick this up sometime next year.

Not expecting a very high meta.

Enjoyed my time with the beta, but it's troubling for me that the reviews mention lack of content as an issue, I was afraid of that. May get it sometime next year for cheaper.

I can understand people bitching about server issues or latency, etc. I know it's a bit hyperbolic but it's weird when quite a few people said "why even have a campaign?" for Battlefield a few years ago and then when Dice actually scratches it they get scorned for "lack of content"

Kind of reminds me of the old Miyamoto 4chan meme

cWcqYkW.png

If the main criticism of game will turn out to be a lack of variety or depth then I guess the verdict will be positive for me. I am actually looking forward to an approachable online multiplayer shooter.

The simplicity of it brings me back to playing splitscreen golden eye, night fire and battlefront when I was younger. Really liked that about the beta.

I can understand people bitching about server issues or latency, etc. I know it's a bit hyperbolic but it's weird when quite a few people said "why even have a campaign?" for Battlefield a few years ago and then when Dice actually scratches it they get scorned for "lack of content"

cWcqYkW.png
Just shows gamers don't need to be listened to honestly. Can't please everyone,make what you want to make and hope it sticks

VanWinkle

These are about the scores I expected. A good game with solid mechance and great visuals hampered by a lack of content and things to do.

The MP looks reallyawesome to me, but I find myself disappointed by the lack of a single player campaign. DICE is capable of crafting great single player experiences when the material they're working with is interesting (Mirror's Edge), so it's a shame we didn't get a Star Wars story from them.

malfcn

Graphics look nice enough. But animations and game play looks pretty rough to me. Overall, goofy impression.

Karak

Sorry, completely flubbed - edited my post to fix.

It is actually correct on the website <.<

(I'm typing patch notes at the same time about ACG)

Gotcha no probs

The simplicity of it brings me back to playing splitscreen golden eye, night fire and battlefront when I was younger. Really liked that about the beta.

Whats weird is I still play Golden Eye and there is almost nothing whatsoever that feels similair between them. I think other than nostalgia but many of our lan group still play Golden Eye and jumped into Battlefront and this comparison doesn't even seem real.

cWcqYkW.png
Also people complaining about a lack of depth but then avoiding answering when asked to define what they mean by depth.

Euron

The reviews will be interesting. Judging by the beta, functionality will not be a problem. Reviewers may dock points for the lack of a campaign but we'll see.

Trojan

This is one of those games that is going to be review-proof. As long as it gets at least average reviews (which early signs point towards), I don't think anything is going to stop this Star Wars train.

There are so many casual gamers that will eat this up and the stripped-down gameplay will actual connect with them more than more demanding titles.

This game will sell tons and tons regardless of a low metascore. Just like I have pre-ordered for my son who has being dying to play again after the beta, many will buy just for that starwars experience that this game oozes even though the game will be short lived. I hope they support it well and release free maps.

robotrock

Banned
Polygon provisional reviews don't go on Metacritic until they take of the provisional tag apparently. They've still yet to take off the provisional tag for Halo 5, which is three weeks old at this point.
I wonder if there was a trash campaing would it affect the review scores negatively or positively :p

Probably negatively. I think GTAV would have reviewed worse if the garbage multiplayer stuff was there on day one.

Apparently GTA Online is better now but it definitely had a rough launch.

I wonder if there was a trash campaing would it affect the review scores negatively or positively :p

Possibly negatively. I still think they should have done one. Even if it ended up no better than battlefield 3. Oh well, looking forward to the visceral and bioware games that are coming from ea.

So these sites are just flipping the middle finger to the embargo? I hate embargos, hate them...But at least these sites should respect them and wait a whole 40 minutes if that's the publishers wishes....

Talk about a rush for clicks, Damn...

Meanwhile, waiting at Best Buy to pick this up, can't wait...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meh, was hoping it wouldn't be shallow but I guess it is what it is. It's a skip for me. Oh well. The winter of Star Wars will have to start once the movie comes out!

Bsigg12

So these sites are just flipping the middle finger to the embargo? I hate embargos, hate them...But at least these sites should respect them and wait a whole 40 minutes if that's the publishers wishes....

Not at all. They didn't sign the agreement to go to a review event and be tied to an embargo and instead played it starting last Thursday on Xbox One with EA Access.

robotrock

Banned

Talk about a rush for clicks, Damn...

In the case of the Polygon review, they are not breaking embargo since they are only talking about their experience with the EA Access version on Xbox One. They didn't go to the review event and agree to EA's terms or something.

Starviper

I got it from GMG for 45$ during one of their sales. I expect it'll sell like hotcakes no matter what. I kinda figured it'd have less to it overall, kinda sucks but it's a star wars game. I'm just happy we're getting something decent to be honest.

oceanskie

Banned
Polygon provisional reviews don't go on Metacritic until they take of the provisional tag apparently. They've still yet to take off the provisional tag for Halo 5, which is three weeks old at this point.

Polygon and their 'early access' reviews, pft.

Karak

This game will sell tons and tons regardless of a low metascore. Just like I have pre-ordered for my son who has being dying to play again after the beta, many will buy just for that starwars experience that this game oozes even though the game will be short lived. I hope they support it well and release free maps.
This is absolutely true

bill0527

I can see DICE wanting to keep it simple for launch.

They can always add more content later, but they CANNOT fuck this launch up. Not with this license and not after the clusterfuck first year of Battlefield 4.

Top Bottom