• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

Karak

From what I am hearing we are indeed looking at 75-80. But there are a couple outliers that I can never guess.

You don't joke about such things.
LOL I joke about the blind teaching drivers ed Stormtroopers are lite affairs for me:)

That being said its hilarious that as soon as you can the first thing you do is start removing armor as you level up. Pretty soon some of these dudes and chicks are gonna look like Frank Franzetta paintings

Not at all. They didn't sign the agreement to go to a review event and be tied to an embargo and instead played it starting last Thursday on Xbox One with EA Access.

In the case of the Polygon review, they are not breaking embargo since they are only talking about their experience with the EA Access version on Xbox One. They didn't go to the review event and agree to EA's terms or something.

I get it, thanks....

Mattenth

Was talking to some coworkers about the game today... one of them made a great point: "Is it really so bad to have a very casual shooter with awesome presentation?"

I'm expecting upper 70s for the OpenCritic average, maybe lower 80s. (Edit: Ok, I think lower 80s).

But I honestly hope that the reviews don't bash the lack of depth too much. Yes, it's probably not the 20+ hour experience for a core gamer, but it might be for a casual one just looking for some fun.

ironcreed

Banned
Alright alright we aren't going to do this here guys lol. While I can spend hours shooting laser guns at troopers. Others can spend 100 hours picking up whatever they find "value"

Yeah, I will play enough matches to get my money's worth (value). I have no doubt about that. The fact that it nails Stars Wars, it's fun to play and looks absolutely gorgeous helps as well.

Karak

Oh, so edgy, making fun of the blind driving! Quite the wit you have there. Tell me more.

About not taking things seriously? I could tell you about calming down and easing up. But you seem to enjoy being all tight and bound up. So I will just point to the nearest section with fiber in your local supermarket.

SegaShack

This game looks fun to me and I'm looking forward to it. Then again, I also loved Titanfall, which people also said lacked content and got boring. For me that game was always exciting for me and keeps me replaying it every once in a while. Then again, maybe it's cause I'm older and don't have as much time to play games.

I am not into Battlefield or Call of Duty though, so hope the game is a lot different from those.

So, I'm at Best Buy for the midnight launch...They give away a free POP figure with purchase...My Best Buy got 4 total figures to give away....

I got Boba Fett, I could have picked a storm trooper...If you're planning on getting one of those, good luck...

Karak

Yeah, I will play enough matches to get my money's worth (value). I have no doubt about that. The fact that it nails Stars Wars, it's fun to play and looks absolutely gorgeous helps as well.

I think many many will. Its going to be one of those games were people can REALLY fall on some odd value with the title. I mean even if someone gets only 10 hours of fun. Thats 6 bucks an hour. Not shabby really.

This game looks fun to me and I'm looking forward to it. Then again, I also loved Titanfall, which people also said lacked content and was boring. For me that game was always exciting for me and keeps me replaying it every once in a while. Then again, maybe it's cause I'm older and don't have as much time to play games.

I think a lot of people enjoyed Titanfall when it came out for what it was. No harm there.
So, I'm at Best Buy for the midnight launch...They give away a free POP figure with purchase...My Best Buy got 4 total figures to give away....

I got Boba Fett, I could have picked a storm trooper...If you're planning on getting one of those, good luck...

POP?

hwy_61

Banned

Are those the chibi looking figures?

If the main criticism of game will turn out to be a lack of variety or depth then I guess the verdict will be positive for me. I am actually looking forward to an approachable online multiplayer shooter.
Yeah, that's a positive in my book too.

The lack of proper party integration is that major point keeping me away. But my buds are getting it, so I'll hear how it works soon enough.

ironcreed

Banned
I think many many will. Its going to be one of those games were people can REALLY fall on some odd value with the title. I mean even if someone gets only 10 hours of fun. Thats 6 bucks an hour. Not shabby really.

I think a lot of people enjoyed Titanfall when it came out for what it was. No harm there.

Hell, I have paid $60 for worse and still had a good time. Games like The Order come to mind. At least this has the replay value of a multiplayer title and a killer Star Wars hook.

- J - D -

Expected the issue to be the depth and amount of content. Dan Rykert (of Giant Bomb dot com) even flat out said during a UPF last week to wait until it's cheaper, and he loves these games.

Karak

Hell, I have paid $60 for worse and still had a good time. Games like The Order come to mind. At least this has the replay value of a multiplayer title and a killer Star Wars hook.

Yep I hear you. Its a very unique title in that way. I don't mean in content or anything but in the fact that it offers a MASSIVE IP name, with easier than normal mechanics. Not a bad set of traits.
Expected the issue to be the depth and amount of content. Dan Rykert even flat out said during a UPF last week to wait until it's cheaper, and he loves these games.

Who? And did he qualify it as that reason?

SegaShack

If the main criticism of game will turn out to be a lack of variety or depth then I guess the verdict will be positive for me. I am actually looking forward to an approachable online multiplayer shooter.
Yeah honestly this is what I loved about Battlefront 2. No configuration and you just pick from preset classes and play online. It was simple but I felt it was fun and very skill based. I also love stuff like Goldeneye and Nightfire as well, I sort of miss simplistic shooters.

Karak

Yeah honestly this is what I loved about Battlefront 2. No configuration and you just pick from preset classes and play online. It was simple but I felt it was fun and very skill based. I also love stuff like Goldeneye and Nightfire as well, I sort of miss simplistic shooters.

I adored me some Battlefront 2. Strange that it had so much more than this when it came to different types of gameplay when you break it down.

ViciousDS

Banned
Alright alright we aren't going to do this here guys lol. While I can spend hours shooting laser guns at troopers. Others can spend 100 hours picking up whatever they find "value"

Except others do it on game modes that aren't limited to 4 maps......the amount of content is abysmal for a multiplayer only shooter.

Shenmue

Banned
If they played the PS4 version they would need to dock it .5 points for being almost too fluid.

Nah you need to wait until Arthur hears anecdotally that maybe the PS4 version is performing worse first. Maybe.

OT damn like 50 people at this best buy lined up for this game. Never seen this.

ironcreed

Banned
How is a lack of variety a positive?

I think he means that this one is easier to get into and is not quite as balls to the wall competitive as other multiplayer games. Which is something I also find to be a nice change of pace, as I already have Black Ops III and Halo for that kind of experience.

SegaShack

I adored me some Battlefront 2. Strange that it had so much more than this when it came to different types of gameplay when you break it down.
Ah didn't realize that. Kind of a pitty IMO. I hope I like one of the modes in this enough to keep replaying it. I saw there is a mode kind of similar to classic Battlefront with the capture points and all. Sad about no campaign though. I also will miss spawn points.

That quote doesn't sound like a 6/10.

If you're going to completely shit on the game, give it a score that matches it.

IDK, I've always viewed 6-7 as the domain of 'Fans of this franchise/genre/etc will like it, normal people won't'. Sounds like that review just thinks its' hollow fanservice.

kurahador

Lack of contents for $60 multiplayer only shooter...damn.

Gotta make up all those money spent on securing Star Wars video game rights from Disney I guess.

Top Bottom