• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

I've never remembered a gen where reviews seem so commonly disconnected from my own opinion. Usually in the past there was some source that seemed to jive with my thoughts but this gen? Nope. All these sites are all over the place. Some games get knocked got tech issues and being broken and having a bad story or bad gameplay while others get praised to the moon despite all that. Some games get knocked for being too short while others get barely a mention of length. Most of the time audio is just vaguely mentioned when I believe it to be one of the major components to an overall great experience.

It just all seems completely random to be honest. I personally know 20 people with Fallout 4 and only 2 of them say it is really great or even good. Most just complain about all the problems, the horrible story, horrible environments and horrible gunplay. Whereas I know many people who have played this with Access and can't stop talking about how much fun it is. Yet reading reviews you would think yhis is a mediocre experience. Very weird.

Just can't trust reviews anymore really. So many examples of that fact out there already and seems like this will be added to that pile.
This is actually a good point. Reviews are inconsistent this gen(probably always have I just started caring recently) I'm still salty lb3 got slammed for bugs in the reviews when there was much worse bugs in other games releasing around that time

Burt

Everything about this game screams "We need to have this game out before the movie drops so keep it small!" and then they finished the game 6 months early and have been biding their time by applying incredible amounts of polish.

DLC dropping in record time, I'm sure.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
We'll be tracking on OpenCritic: http://opencritic.com/#!game/1511/star-wars-battlefront

First batch (17 reviews in)

Game Informer announced they're holding off until servers come up. Not many other publications weighing in though, which is pretty interesting... I guess not many attended the review event?

Vxua58h.png

Or we want to judge the based on real world servers? ;) I know we're holding off until we play with the general public since the review event isn't indicative of what happens in real life.

Karak

I loved the beta (especially flying) but from what I have seen and read I think these reviews are perfectly reasonable. 6-8 doesn't mean a shitty game.

Exactly. After reading them even the lower ones people enjoyed SOMETHING about it and didn't rate it smashingly poor yet people seem to be way overreacting like everyone hated it and no one is agreeing. Its seems like a good majority agree that the game is right on the cusp. Its ok not to be perfect.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nope. Every shooter needs hundreds of unlocks and banal customizations to keep the the reviewers with micro-attentioj spans sated. It's Pavlovian at this point.

I don't think the real knock on the game is lack of unlocks. That's not what people mean when they say it's shallow.

Large collections of unlockables just show me all the stuff better players will have to beat me down with during the initial noob hazing period, so shallower games along the lines like Battlefront or Titanfall actually feel like they're offering something a little different. And I never really stay with PvP games for more than a few weeks if that, and short stints when I do play, and that's what this game seems purpose tuned for.

A game like COD with a million unlocks and customizations is perfect for the crowd thats going to settle into that game and go deep. That same stuff turns me off because I won't be doing that, so when I do jump in casually I always feel way out of my depth. On the other hand a game like Titanfall is much shallower on unlocks, so its easier for me to jump in and play a match or three on a whim, for the fun of it, without feeling like I'm working towards the next thing or have to. If that makes sense.

I mean it in the artificial sense: unlocks, XP, leveling. That stuff is way overdone everywhere these days, single player games included now. Depth in gameplay and tactics is a whole nuther matter entirely, and don't know whether this game could have that or not. I'd say Titanfall absolutely has that.

I heard you like that last overpowered weapon locked on Lv50, time to prestige and erase your progress in Lv55 anyway.

James93

I was able to snag it for 40 on pc. So its about what i see the value at. Reviews are on par of what i thought. Its not a bad game, it just lacks content.

newsguy

Reviews will mean nothing with this license. The marketing campaign is firing on all cylinders and people love them some Star Wars.

bounchfx

Nope. Every shooter needs hundreds of unlocks and banal customizations to keep the the reviewers with micro-attentioj spans sated. It's Pavlovian at this point.

unlocks have absolutely nothing to do with it
in fact, unlocks have pretty much shitted up most big budget AAA games to their detriment thanks to overuse and reliance on them for a sense of progression and what some people feel as 'fun'

Fracas

#fuckonami
That quote doesn't sound like a 6/10.

If you're going to completely shit on the game, give it a score that matches it.

I wonder how many reviews we'll get by people who don't like or have disdain for Star Wars in general? It's like asking someone who doesn't like shooters to review Battlefield.

Fantasizes about Princess Leia?

Lol what a bunch of clowns

Honestly, it's kind of fresh to get a shooter like this that's kind of bare-bones with minimal options. The playing field is completely even and it's more like a classic shooter from the PS2 era or before, where all the extra stuff is available to everyone on the field and not just to the guy who's played a million hours more than everyone else. Sure, maybe the maps and game types getting old after a while might be true, I don't know I haven't played the game, but I'm just excited to play a really well designed, casual Star Wars multiplayer shooter.

It's the perfect thing to keep us kinda busy for the month before the new movie, cause once the hype kicks in again a week or two before, everyone's gonna jump back on to play.

I've never remembered a gen where reviews seem so commonly disconnected from my own opinion. Usually in the past there was some source that seemed to jive with my thoughts but this gen? Nope. All these sites are all over the place. Some games get knocked got tech issues and being broken and having a bad story or bad gameplay while others get praised to the moon despite all that. Some games get knocked for being too short while others get barely a mention of length. Most of the time audio is just vaguely mentioned when I believe it to be one of the major components to an overall great experience.

It just all seems completely random to be honest. I personally know 20 people with Fallout 4 and only 2 of them say it is really great or even good. Most just complain about all the problems, the horrible story, horrible environments and horrible gunplay. Whereas I know many people who have played this with Access and can't stop talking about how much fun it is. Yet reading reviews you would think yhis is a mediocre experience. Very weird.

Just can't trust reviews anymore really. So many examples of that fact out there already and seems like this will be added to that pile.
Nope. Every shooter needs hundreds of unlocks and banal customizations to keep the the reviewers with micro-attention spans sated. It's Pavlovian at this point.

I'll take "rationalization" for $500, Alex

Vooduu

Reading reviews from actual gamers on the web and this game is pretty much what I was expecting: disappointing.

RdN

Well, we now know why EA kept the embargo until launch day.

Pretty but thin seems to be the motto, and that would certainly swing a lot of people against it had the barrage of 7's come out sooner.

I don't think the real knock on the game is lack of unlocks. That's not what people mean when they say it's shallow.
A lot of reviews are knocking it for lacking a hook with its progression system. IE unlocks.

Whenever someone says it's shallow they fail to explain why or what exactly they mean.

7/8 sounds about right from what I played of the Beta. Game looks freaking amazing and captures the Star Wars feel to a t, but it just doesn't seem all that captivating. I'm still probably going to get it and I really wanted to love it, but it just isn't as fun as Battlefront II to me. Maybe its nostalgia talking but that game was a blast despite its lack of depth AND had a conquest mode of sorts. Maybe I will have more fun just playing against bots but even thea amazing looking walker asassault on Hoth wasn't all that fun.

crinale

Well reading the review (plus Digital Foundry Analysis) they've polished what they got quite a bit, so I like that.

Burt

A week before or after the new movie. Guaranteed.

Yeah, no doubt.

Rey, Finn, Kylo Renn, Jakku.

Easiest money EA ever made.

Actually, considering that TFA isn't even being screened for critics, I bet that's half the reason this game is so content light, Disney ninjas prohibiting any new trilogy stuff before the movie drops.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Haven't played the full thing, but yeah. In the beta, there wasn't so much a learning curve as there was a learning wheelchair-accessible ramp.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
as much as i love star wars I think I will wait until the price is reduced a little esp in Canadian prices, and when more content is released for the game

A lot of reviews are knocking it for lacking a hook with its progression system. IE unlocks.

Whenever someone says it's shallow they fail to explain why or what exactly they mean.

Yes, in addition to the fact that there's not very many maps and the gunplay isn't really all that exciting. The fact that it costs $60 is what makes it all worse.

commish

"Shallow" can mean a bunch of things. It's not necessarily the lack of unlocks or progression. It can be basic/boring map design, basic gameplay, lack of tactics, etc. For example, many reviews say the combat is too simplistic because of the lack of recoil and generic map design. So, every engagement really ends up being almost exactly the same, over and over and over. That's not fun.

Elios83

Contents like maps can be easily added through DLCs. If the core game is good the rest will easily come later. It would be more concerning if the game was bad but with lots of maps.
I won't buy the game anyway for the lack of contents though...a sp campaign :/

This is just my personal opinion:

Biggest problem I feel this game will have for me is not the amount of content per se. It's that some of the content that is there seems like such a waste. I have big doubts about any other mode (especially something like Droid run what I saw in GT streams) will be much of interest compared to Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and maybe the hero modes. That alone shaves some maps off from my rotation.

legacyzero

Banned
That lack of single player campaign really hits this game hard. I dont give damn about the lack of progression. I still enjoy games that dont even have it, and they can still be amazing.

But what DICE seems to be doing with authenticity and the look of the game is just jaw dropping. It's just a shame they are absolutely useless at SP stories. It's probably a good thing they didn't attempt it.

And to ask $60 for the lack of stuff in the box is a damn shame. But EA, yo.

Hoje0308

Banned
As much fun as I had with the beta, I'm glad to see Battlefront losing points for lack of content. I might pick up the complete version whenever that releases.

StoveOven

Banned
From the little bit of this game I played in the Beta, I just didn't like the way the guns felt. I can deal with a lack of progression, but the lack of a satisfying gameplay loop caused me to loose all interest after about 2 hours

JTripper

Contents like maps can be easily added through DLCs. If the core game is good the rest will easily come later. It would be more concerning if the game was bad but with lots of maps.

This is sort of what I'm thinking. Maybe some reviewers will return to their reviews for second opinions after all the content EA has planned is released for the game. That is if the DLC turns out to be good and not like, Arkham Knight mini-dlcs.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
That lack of single player campaign really hits this game hard. I dont give damn about the lack of progression. I still enjoy games that dont even have it, and they can still be amazing.

But what DICE seems to be doing with authenticity and the look of the game is just jaw dropping. It's just a shame they are absolutely useless at SP stories. It's probably a good thing they didn't attempt it.

And to ask $60 for the lack of stuff in the box is a damn shame. But EA, yo.

that and also space battles and boarding ships. I remember playing battlefront 2 with my friend for hours on end, my god.

Bsigg12

This is just my personal opinion:

Biggest problem I feel this game will have for me is not the amount of content per se. It's that some of the content that is there seems like such a waste. I have big doubts about any other mode (especially something like Droid run what I saw in GT streams) will be much of interest compared to Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and maybe the hero modes. That alone shaves some maps off from my rotation.

As much as I love Heroes vs Villains, the game only having 3 characters on each side, which are randomly assigned, is kinda a bummer. Having a group of 5-6 on each side would be great, and definitely make the mode have much more lasting appeal.

joecanada

This is what I'm confused about too I'm still waiting to hear why as a Bf fan I would dislike this when I play conquest large only with about 20 or so loadouts

commish

If it's free DLC maps for everyone, maybe. If it's pay maps, then it just fragments the playerbase and makes it worse.

Verder

didn't really enjoy much of what i played.

surprisingly blops 3 is the most fun out of the mp shooters this fall

Bsigg12

If it's free DLC maps for everyone, maybe. If it's pay maps, then it just fragments the playerbase and makes it worse.

They have 1 set of maps coming for free, which is great, but after that, it's buy the season pass or piece meal DLC which kinda sucks. Once that first paid DLC drops, I'll probably be done with the game.

James93

This is what I'm confused about too I'm still waiting to hear why as a Bf fan I would dislike this when I play conquest large only with about 20 or so loadouts

I think the issue is made worse by Blops3 just coming out with so much content. Battlefront is a pretty barebones when it comes to content.

Top Bottom