• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

thatJohann

Has anyone managed to get the companion app for iOS working with PSN? It only shows me Xbox and PC and I see no option of connecting my PSN.

That is how their tech was. Have you tried "evasive maneuvers"? It is on the D-Pad. Up/Left/Right when you get locked onto. They are designed for speed/maneuverability/precision from the Empire with nothing put into shields. All speed and guns.

Yes and those maneuvers do nothing. its extremely easy to simply slow completely down & turn around to follow someone doing evasive maneuvers. i have only lost 2 people in the 40+ squadron matches i have played.. those evasive things are only good for losing a lock for a few seconds but its very easy to stay on someone using that lol at least its easy for me.

But then im always 10k+ points in first place every match despite my team usually making me lose. I just feel the rebel ships are way better. "speedy" doesnt matter in battle front what i can tell. even with boost & extra speed the imperial fighters cant get away in time to survive. the lockon range is so far you will be dead long before you escape someones sight with a speed boost or evasive maneuver.

it literally only takes 1 second of rebel ship gunfire to die when you are imperial(if they are slowed all the way down) and a little over a second if they are at full speed...

Shenmue

Banned
Disappointing to see the low reviews, but I think this will be the rare game that isn't affected at all by the reviews. I have friends who bought a console just to play this game that haven't played games in years or owned a console since the ps2. I think it'll do fine still.

Is this the kind of game this will get re-reviewed as an 8.9 in 4 months time when a load of DLC is out or are it's flaws pretty fundamental?

Is this the kind of game this will get re-reviewed as an 8.9 in 4 months time when a load of DLC is out or are it's flaws pretty fundamental?

I didn't buy it because there wasn't enough content, personally. I think the fundamental gameplay is pretty fun, if a little shallow. Fun can trump that, if it's varied enough. It's not right now (for me).

Nope, gameplay is incredibly shallow... It's why it gets old quickly... The new content they release will get equally as old as quickly.

vypek

Just decided to look at the game on Amazon. The score on all versions of the game are so harsh. Its crazy how much people just use 5 stars or 1 star.

How do people buy a game without knowing details like no campaign? I wonder how many others fell for that. I feel bad if they did. I'm loving the game though. I guess a lot of people were expecting Battlefront 3 though so they are disappointed.

GRaider81

Yes and those maneuvers do nothing. its extremely easy to simply slow completely down & turn around to follow someone doing evasive maneuvers. i have only lost 2 people in the 40+ squadron matches i have played.. those evasive things are only good for losing a lock for a few seconds but its very easy to stay on someone using that lol at least its easy for me.

But then im always 10k+ points in first place every match despite my team usually making me lose. I just feel the rebel ships are way better. "speedy" doesnt matter in battle front what i can tell. even with boost & extra speed the imperial fighters cant get away in time to survive. the lockon range is so far you will be dead long before you escape someones sight with a speed boost or evasive maneuver.

it literally only takes 1 second of rebel ship gunfire to die when you are imperial(if they are slowed all the way down) and a little over a second if they are at full speed...

Have you never seen star wars? Those Tie fighters are cannon fodder!

But yeah id agree the rebel ships are much better

I'm disappointed... In anyone who thinks even a 7/10 is a "low" review score.

7s and 8s are completely ok and means a game is quite good, just not outstanding in all areas. If ya wanted the game and bought it, hope you are enjoying it. Myself, I'm not getting Battlefront simply cause I already got to many games the past month and a half (Halo, Fallout, Taken King, Black Ops 3, Darksiders). Do I think the game has a low amount of content, perhaps, but it's just not for me. It was always know it would be light on content when compared to a Call of Duty, wasn't it announced initially that it would have like only 4 planets to start with.

Just decided to look at the game on Amazon. The score on all versions of the game are so harsh. Its crazy how much people just use 5 stars or 1 star.

How do people buy a game without knowing details like no campaign? I wonder how many others fell for that. I feel bad if they did. I'm loving the game though. I guess a lot of people were expecting Battlefront 3 though so they are disappointed.

Another reason they should have just come up with a new IP and abandoned "Battlefront".

RPS

Battlefront is a beautiful tribute to Star Wars. It’s also a simple game, because it reasons that most of its players simply want to be in those places, looking like those characters, flying those spaceships: that’s the fantasy it sells.

It’s also a shopfront, because the Star Wars audience has proven time and again that if you build it, they will come back for more. Battlefront: the base game might sell itself frustratingly short on variety, and it seems confused about exactly who its audience is, but its spectacle is such that I’ll spend the night inside a Taun-Taun’s tummy if it doesn’t get away with it.

BigDug13

so its content bare pretty much to make it out for the movie launch im guessing?

shame it didnt have like 1 more year.

It's content bare to milk more money out of Star Wars fans, plain and simple. Otherwise they would add more content for free instead of gleefully slicing up the community when the paid DLC drops.

Card Boy

Banned
Having played the Beta and sunk more time in the EA Access version the 72 is definatly well deserved, It should actually be lower. I would give the game 6 out of 10.

+ Graphics are amazing
+ Presentation and production values are great
+ Music and sound is fantastic

- Skill-less shallow gameplay
- Very light on content
- Progression system is just bad and isn't deep.
- Price is too expensive (yes this should be factored into a review)
- Some modes are already dead (fucken lol)

I tried to get through the video but he makes his point in the first minute then just repeats it over and over so I gave up. He doesn't feel the game is worth his money, but its clear he has no understanding what it costs to make games. He wants more game for less money, I think we all do but some of understand the reality of economics.

This gets brought up far too often. Most of us don't understand what it costs to make games or many other things and honestly, it doesn't matter. It's rare that a consumer is an expert in the creation of the product they are judging. You either feel something is worth your money or you don't. What it took to make the product is normally beside the point.

This gets brought up far too often. Most of us don't understand what it costs to make games or many other things and honestly, it doesn't matter. It's rare that a consumer is an expert in the creation of the product they are judging. You either feel something is worth your money or you don't. What it took to make the product is normally beside the point.

It's amazing how people cannot fathom this simple point. The games industry isn't a charity run but then they treat it as it is and evanglelize their product just because.

OnPSX 7/10

Star Wars: Battlefront is the perfect example for a shooter which isn`t hard to learn. But it becomes clear quite fast that the experience is shallow. If you are good or bad in a match isn`t a result of your skill but your luck. If you get the Millenium Falcon you are nearly invincible. If you can play as Boba Fett, than your enemy is at a big disadvantage. Such Power Ups should have a time limit and be only given to people that already are good in the match. But this isn`t the case here and it shows how unbalanced the game is. But fans of Star Wars will have to buy the game, because the graphics and sound are amazing! But everyone who is looking for a challenge won`t be satisfied. It`s a game for casuals.

Having played the Beta and sunk more time in the EA Access version the 72 is definatly well deserved, It should actually be lower. I would give the game 6 out of 10.

+ Graphics are amazing
+ Presentation and production values are great
+ Music and sound is fantastic

- Skill-less shallow gameplay lol, so like every shooter where you have to kill people?
- Very light on content Thats different for everyone, im fine with whats there
- Progression system is just bad and isn't deep. What exactly do you expect lol? You level up, you can buy stuff at certain levels and you get your credits to buy stuff. Sounds like a standard progression system every shooter nowadays have.
- Price is too expensive (yes this should be factored into a review) Creating games cost money
- Some modes are already dead (fucken lol) Thats a PC issue. All modes are full and playable on both consoles.

Anwers in bold

GHG

So it seems you're perfectly fine with what is basically a shell of a game.

This game is extremely shallow, and I'm struggling to see why people would argue otherwise.

Because the game is fun and that's all that matters to some people.

For some reason gamers have been conditioned into thinking that more content and more "work" in games is a good thing in recent years. This game on the other hand respects my time and I have fun with it pretty much every moment in playing it.

Its all subjective of course but its a sad day when the amount of "content" in a game is more important than how fun a game is to play on a minute to minute basis.

No single player content in this game is better than me slogging through 7-10 hours of a shit tier campaign in the latest COD. If that's the best you can do for a SP game I'd rather you didn't bother thank you. Don't waste my time.

In the same way that 4 well crafted beautiful maps are better than 20-30 shit ones that aren't fun to play.

AHindD

Because the game is fun and that's all that matters to some people.

For some reason gamers have been conditioned into thinking that more content and more "work" in games is a good thing in recent years. This game on the other hand respects my time and I have fun with it pretty much every moment in playing it.

Its all subjective of course but its a sad day when the amount of "content" in a game is more important than how fun a game is to play on a minute to minute basis.

Sure, it doesn't change the fact that the game is incredibly shallow! I've enjoyed the game for a few days, however it's going back to eb because I just cannot justify the price. Adding the insane cost of the season pass for in Australia just makes the whole thing feel grossly overpriced. It's like what somehow else has said, the fact that this game is priced the same as black ops 3 or fallout 4 is insane.

Yasae

Banned
The balance honestly turns me off far more than the lack of content (which is a huge downer on its own). There's entirely too much bullshit in shooters nowadays. Even for an easy breezy casual affair... No.

Carbonox

Funnily enough the Meta score is in line with my personal view on this game. Fun, arcadey and great to play/look at but ultimately shallow and very limited. It's a game I'm happy to continue playing and will do, especially as a Star Wars fan because of how easy to pick up it is, but it should have been a heck of a lot more.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Biggest review disconnect I've seen in a long while. Potential GotY candidate for me. Have put in 20 hours and not even close to tired of it.

Nope, gameplay is incredibly shallow... It's why it gets old quickly... The new content they release will get equally as old as quickly.

Its funny that people like you still cant describe why the gameplay is shallow... its a shooter. You shoot other people..what do you want lol?

According to people who say the game is shallow, every shooter must be shallow then.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think 7/10 is perfect - easily justifiable. I'm absolutely loving my time with the game, but my love of Star Wars colours my opinion. The game is really light on content and lacks ambition outside of its production values. Had this shipped with a complete single player campaign, or twice the content, I'd be giving this a solid 9. Not grabbing the expansion pass, but worth the price of entry for a die-hard like myself.

Its funny that people like you still cant describe why the gameplay is shallow... its a shooter. You shoot other people..what do you want lol?

According to people who say the game is shallow, every shooter must be shallow then.
If you really believe gameplay on shooters only means shooting people, then my friend you have very shallow understanding of gameplay mechanics in general.

krang

It plays like Battlefront. There's none of the maneuverability of some modern shooters, but you're playing as a grunt for most of the time - so it would be silly to have you bouncing and wall-jumping all over the place. The shooting does what it's meant to perfectly fine.

I like the "shallow" gameplay people here complain about. It makes it more accessible and actually fun to play rather than having nerds dominating every round and making the game so complicated.

Horp

Metascore is too low imo. Yes, sure, it is kind of basic but so are a bunch of other games in other genres. There are single player games out there that has way less hours of gameplay in them that get 90+ based on presentation and spectacle alone. This game isn't 95/100 but it sure isn't 72/100 either imo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
One of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long long while.

CHC

Absolutely, making a product within a set of parameters is just part of the business. Even still, comparing Battlefront to other games it falls well short. Lack of substance is THE reason that I am not buying the game, straight up. And I'm not looking for THAT much. A Call of Duty level of content would be fine - linear campaign, 10 or 15 maps, a couple variety / co-op modes, whatever.

With Battlefront it really does not come across as a matter of "this game was so expensive to make that we need to sell it this way" and more a case of them drip feeding Star Wars fans bits of content in pieces to make it seem like there is more in total than is really the case.

Not that I disagree with the main point, but using the phrase "for the casuals" in a review pretty much destroys any sense of credibility.

krang

I don't think the issue is with the combat, nor even with the number of maps. It's the variety that's killing it for me. There's, what, 13 maps but they're based on only 4 planets, and they all ultimately play very similarly apart from maybe Endor.

Then there's the modes - you've got the usual shooter-fare along with the event-specific battles. Where's Cloud City? Where's the space combat amongst some of the most epic orbital backdrops from the franchise with the ability to land on ships to take the combat on foot?

Don't give me the "there'll be more in DLC" bullshit - the game as it stands is minimal at best and shouldn't have to rely on future paid content for it to be the game it should have been at launch. This was an opportunity for EA and DICE to show off what a modern Battlefront, nee Star Wars game could do, and they've simply not capitalised on the rich variety that they had available to them.

I don't know what the timing was between the start of the project and the release date, because getting it out for the launch of TFA was clearly important, but maybe at the detriment to the game.

Top Bottom