• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

dogen

Cool, another Battlefield mod, colour me dissapointed, this just has hype because it's of Star Wars, but nothing could make me think that this is not just another BF skin :/

I don't care sh** about the visuals, all i care about is about the game, but this isn't trying anything new...

It's 720p on ONE because 60 fps + referred lightning engine, no matter how much they improve the engine, they can't add silicon to a console :)

Trials Fusion, another launch game(or at least close to launch) was 900p60 on xb1. Lead programmer has even dropped some hints that their next game will be 1080p on xb1.

Turkoop

Banned
When you say the Uncharted 4 E3 trailer was bullshit what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that it didn't deliver on the graphics because we were shown pre-alpha gameplay footage that didn't look exactly like the E3 trailer? This is from the in engine trailer of The Order 1886. This was the pre-alpha gameplay. And this was the final build. Infamous was pretty much the exact same way.

So why are calling bullshit on Uncharted 4 when we are no where near the final build? I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we aren't being shown Battlefront gameplay yet to be honest. Because then people would be complaining about downgrades that don't even exist, kinda like the claim you just made saying there's already been 1 downgrade.

Word !

MattyG

Banned
I'm at Star Wars Celebration standing in line outside the EA booth waiting to watch the 7 minute gameplay demo. I need to see if those graphics are for real.
Ohhhhh man. Can't wait to hear impressions.

I bet security is super tight so people can't get footage on their phone. I want it to leak, I NEED TO SEEEEEEEE.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The game will look amazing on PS4.

It will look even more amazing on PC.

Will it look 1:1 like the trailer? No. But it will look damn close enough to impress people.

As I have said before, everyone seemed to love the DE:MD and Halo 5 completely CGI trailers, but DICE releases an In-Engine trailer which at least gives us an IDEA of how the game will look, and people are up in arms.

The people at DICE are huge Star Wars fans, and making a trailer like this to debut their game was probably a dream come true for them. A cinematic announcement trailer is common practice these days, and an in engine one is worlds better than a pure CGI one.

I wish 343i would have released an in engine trailer for Halo 5 instead of a pure CGI one that did next to nothing to hype me.

People are acting like DICE killed a baby because they didn't show gameplay at an event they said they wouldn't show gameplay at. Gameplay will be at E3. I am sure it will be similar to the Shanghai E3 multiplayer on stage demo, and it will hype people, mark this post.

When you say the Uncharted 4 E3 trailer was bullshit what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that it didn't deliver on the graphics because we were shown pre-alpha gameplay footage that didn't look exactly like the E3 trailer? This is from the in engine trailer of The Order 1886. This was the pre-alpha gameplay. And this was the final build. Infamous was pretty much the exact same way.

So why are calling bullshit on Uncharted 4 when we are no where near the final build? I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we aren't being shown Battlefront gameplay yet to be honest. Because then people would be complaining about downgrades that don't even exist, kinda like the claim you just made saying there's already been 1 downgrade.

because the gameplay demonstration is so far from the e3 trailer. the game will never come close

BokehKing

Banned
It is really very simple: If gameplay looked as good as their in-engine cutscene they would have shown gameplay. It would have been a bombshell instead of skeptic food.
Why would they show gameplay.... Before E3?

When does any first look at a game been gameplay footage, it's always some sort of cinematic.

BokehKing

Banned
Stop speaking logic. Tis forbidden.
Haha I know it's forbidd, but for example, new black ops 3 trailer reveal is coming out next week, it's going to be in engine cinematic like it has been for the last 10 years.

I think people lash out at things because they are very passionate about things

This... this is interesting
http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBat...0we/new_battlefront_trailer/cqge9f4?context=3

reddituser question said:
With all due respect, are you seriously saying that level of foliage is going to be running on our PS4's in 2015? Ignoring everything else.

Dice employee said:
I don't like making hard guarantees. The game hasn't shipped yet. We're not done with it. But this is how it looks right now - on PS4 as well, yes.

I do want to make a very specific comment. While some people have called bullshots, others have said this is not that different from e.g. BF4 and not that impressive, etc. Which is an interesting mix.

What impresses me the most visually about this game is not technical advancements (which are no doubt important), but instead the attention to detail and craftsmanship being put into the game.

You can give two people, or two teams, the same tools and have very different quality being produced. You have a group of very talented people here who are also huge Star Wars fans, putting in countless hours creating more details than I've ever seen before. Not because it hasn't been technically possible before, but the mixture of tech, the choice of focus (quality over quantity) and then the dedication of the team is creating some truly remarkable results.

When you look at the vehicles, the guns, the character models and not the least the environments, you will see so much attention to detail, carefully replicating the famous universe of Star Wars.

That's the true beauty of this game, if you ask me.

AESplusF

I'm not exactly sure what he is saying with those tweets. Is he saying don't expect Conquest? Because Conquest is Battlefront.

"There's already a franchise that did Conquest first and best. We own that one too. Some things are worth to keep separated I think."

Yeah kinda sounds like it

They have their own vision for a Star Wars shooter, and I guess that isn't quite Battlefront or Battlefield.

"There's already a franchise that did Conquest first and best. We own that one too. Some things are worth to keep separated I think."

Yeah kinda sounds like it

I asked him yes or no if CQ would be in the game at launch. I hope he replies to that too.

He deleted that tweet.

Luckily my phone caught it as a notification.

sB9fVmB.png

robgrab

The wait to see Star Wars Battlefront 3 is 3+ hours. Everyone that has walked out of it so far has said its worth it.

AESplusF

I asked him yes or no if CQ would be in the game at launch. I hope he replies to that too.

He deleted that tweet.

Luckily my phone caught it as a notification.

I wonder what would or could replace it though

vv Hmm...what kind of reaction is that

SaberEdge

the screens are from the exact same environment, theres nothing to cherry pick. the difference is several orders of magnitude.

k. im sure you could find people who think killzone 2 matched up to that 2005 cg trailer as well. doesnt change the facts. and battlefield 4 does not compete with crysis 3 from a graphics standpoint.

Oh come on now, several orders of magnitude? You can't be serious.

The two screenshots you chose might be from the same general environment, but they aren't very comparable. One is a close up shot of vegetation under bright direct lighting conditions, while the other has more subdued lighting and in which most of the foliage and other objects are further from the camera.

If we compare the new trailer overall to the older teaser footage I don't think anybody can reasonably say there is any sort of significant difference in the graphical quality.

This shot still has more subdued lighting conditions, but it's definitely more comparable than the shot you used. I see the same translucency and physically based rendering properties on the foliage in both shots, the same overall geometric complexity, the same quality of materials and parallax occlusion or displacement mapping (probably), even the way the Sword Ferns and Wood Sorrel looks is essentially identical.

As for Killzone 2 compared to its pre-rendered CGI trailer, that's a very obvious difference that I'm sure the majority of people would notice even at a cursory glance. I don't think most people would notice the difference between the Battlefield 4 videos as anything significant even if the differences were pointed out to them.

I personally don't think Battlefield 4 looks as good as Crysis 3, but there are plenty of sincere and knowledgeable people who do. And I don't think the two games are as far apart as you seem to. Battlefield 4 doesn't look as good as Crysis 3, but it definitely competes.

I think the best way to compare would be to take BF4 on ps4 and compare it to the BF4 cinematic trailers they did for that game.

Whatever difference you see there will probably be more or less the same type of difference here with Battlefront.

rashbeep

Banned
the screens are from the exact same environment, theres nothing to cherry pick. the difference is several orders of magnitude.

k. im sure you could find people who think killzone 2 matched up to that 2005 cg trailer as well. doesnt change the facts. and battlefield 4 does not compete with crysis 3 from a graphics standpoint.

Lmao you are just as bad in TW3 threads. The latest batch of screens (and the trailer that those screens are based from) are on par with that original video. Finding a poorly compressed screen of a different area (yes, it is a different area) doesn't help any silly point you try to make.

Eggbok

because the gameplay demonstration is so far from the e3 trailer. the game will never come close

That is why it's called pre-alpha gameplay because it is still early in development. And you're telling me Uncharted 4 will never look like or be anywhere close to the E3 trailer? Even though this is Drake's in-game model in the pre-alpha stage with nearly a year left of development.

Yeah okay bruh.

606b742e_2ns25vs.gif

Hopefully Battlefront looks as good as they're claiming though. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm optimistic since this is their first game not being held back by current gen consoles.

DOWN

Banned
That is why it's called pre-alpha gameplay because it is still early in development. And you're telling me Uncharted 4 will never look like or be anywhere close to the E3 trailer? Even though this is Drake's in-game model in the pre-alpha stage with nearly a year left of development.

Yeah okay bruh.

http://cdn.niketalk.com/6/60/606b742e_2ns25vs.gif[/IG]

Hopefully Battlefront looks as good as they're claiming though. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm optimistic since this is their first game not being held back by current gen consoles.[/QUOTE]
that single player exclusive that they are hinting at dropping to 30fps like their most recent demo

Yoday

I really don't get why people are making such a big deal out of this being a cinematic trailer. Nobody reveals a game with just a strait gameplay clip alone. Obviously this is how they wanted to reveal the game, and that makes a lot of sense as it sets the tone and it's a lot of fun. It clearly says In Engine Footage, and it's not terribly difficult to imagine how that compares to the final product. Is this 100% how the game will look when it launches? No, but why does it matter? There is still seven months until the game launches, and we are sure to get a lot more footage, including console specific gameplay from a near final build at some point. Just enjoy this for what it it is with the understanding that there are probably going to be IQ and LOD differences in the final product that are considered minor by the vast majority of people.

As a Star Wars fan the trailer impresses me the most just in how much detail there is in anything. All of the equipment and vehicles look insanely detailed and authentic, and that is awesome. I honestly don't care if the final product has more jaggies, or lower quality shadows or whatever other minor differences there will be. At it's core the game looks absolutely stunning and authentically Star Wars from the detail in the armor to the effect of the explosions and blaster fire hitting surfaces. Gameplay video will come in time, and we'll probably even get a Beta. There is absolutely no need to be up in arms about this not being pure gameplay, and I am going to keep enjoying this dream come true of a trailer.

It's probably best if there is a seperation of modes in relation to both battlefield and battlefront.

BF5 should be out by winter 2016 , and there a danger of familiarity to those jumping between both.

And even now really, what with BF4 having a dedicated fan base.

Yoday

It's probably best if there is a seperation of modes in relation to both battlefield and battlefront.

BF5 should be out by winter 2016 , and there a danger of familiarity to those jumping between both.

And even now really, what with BF4 having a dedicated fan base.
I don't know, the more we learn about Battlefront the more I think they are targeting a more casual audience. Battlefront seems more simplistic while Battlefield has more complexity to it. But we need to see and learn more about it to really be sure.

So this is basically Battlefield: Star Wars right? An FPS online multiplayer game?

I've not heard of it until now but damn it looks spectacular!

Jeez I love this generation.

Tubie

I don't think the game will come out without a Conquest or large scale Domination kind of mode, it just makes no sense for them not to do it.

I expect a few new Battlefront only modes, but all of them inspired by previous Battlefield modes. Like Walker Assault sounds like a mix of Titan mode from 2142 and Carrier Assault from BF4 with a few new twists to it.

Some modes will be in that are just classic to shooters like TDM and Domination, simply because they are easy to add and people love them.

SDCowboy

I don't think the game will come out without a Conquest or large scale Domination kind of mode, it just makes no sense for them not to do it.

I expect a few new Battlefront only modes, but all of them inspired by previous Battlefield modes. Like Walker Assault sounds like a mix of Titan mode from 2142 and Carrier Assault from BF4 with a few new twists to it.

Some modes will be in that are just classic to shooters like TDM and Domination, simply because they are easy to add and people love them.

Was someone saying these modes wouldn't be in there or something?

JDHarbs

There is no guarantee that DICE will be able to continue developing this series so its understandable that they would not want to help create a competitor to their Battlefield franchise when SWBF could be handed over to someone else in the future.

It could be a blessing in disguise if something like Conquest isn't brought back as I feel like many want this game to be as unique as possible from the rest of the market. We'll definitely need some kind of replacement for it though.

AESplusF

Right, but why wouldn't they? That would be almost like not having a TDM mode. It would make no sense, IMO.

A DICE dev said something that implied there wouldn't be conquest, just scroll up.

There is no guarantee that DICE will be able to continue developing this series so its understandable that they would not want to help create a competitor to their Battlefield franchise when SWBF could be handed over to someone else in the future.

DICE isn't losing there rights to this franchise anytime soon I don't know where you got that idea.

Loris146

the uncharted 4 e3 trailer was indeed complete bullshit, but the order and second son delivered on their reveal trailers. battlefront has already seen 1 serious downgrade, and id bet for sure once we have the game in our hands we will experience yet another.

It is a ( real time ) cutscene of the game. The only thing that you can consider BS is that the reveal trailer was 60 fps.

JDHarbs

EA has a contract with Disney for 10 years dont they? Pretty sure they can do whatever the hell they want at that point.
What happens when the 10 years are up and DICE has established Battlefront as a premiere AAA shooter? They'll be in the same situation that Bungie is currently in with Halo.

There is no way that trailer is running on PS4. PS4 doesn't have the power to run that kind of graphics at 60fps IMO. Expect severe downgrade on console.

Top Bottom